magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newb Wants Vanity Number For Free?!? Possible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eg146
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Newb Wants Vanity Number For Free?!? Possible? Reply with quote

I just bought a MagicJack at Walgreens (had a $35 credit to use) and so I haven't installed it or set up my account yet.

I figured this was the best time to ask if there is anyway to get a "vanity" Magicjack number (for the first year anyway) without paying extra fees?

I didn't know you weren't at least given a bunch of numbers to choose from within your area code. They make it sound so simple, even in blogs that aren't part of Magicjack, that I didn't even think to check before I purchased the device.
I need to have a phone number that will be easy for my son to remember.

I've had Google Voice for a couple years and when I signed up I was able to search through available numbers then found one very similar to my cell phone number which made it easier for my 7 year old to remember.

From what I've read about Magicjack, when it's time to get your number, if you don't want to pay $10 plus some other $3 fee (not sure what that was for), they just assign you a number. It may or may not even be in the area code where you live. Am I correct?

If that's the case, my poor kid will have a harder time since he would have to learn the new area code as well as the new number. Don't get me wrong, he's a smart kid but he already has to know: his dad's cell, dad's home, and dad's work numbers in addition to my cell. Now I'm gonna add a Magicjack number.
Kids have to know their phone number and address if, God forbid they are in an emergency situation.

But being a single mom without a job, $10 is a lot of money.
Oh, and before you ask: how can she have broadband without an income to pay $50 a month for it?
My neighbor shares her router signal with me and I clean her apartment twice a month. Very Happy

OK you get my point, so is there anyway around paying Magicjack extra money to have a selection of number to choose from?

I wouldn't even have the Magicjack had Google Voice not decided to change their outgoing call number for every call. I have the least cell minute plan possible and relied on Google Voice but that's done so have to find another way around that issue. But that's another issue, I'll search the forums for a possible solution.

I'm not 100% sure if I'll keep the Magicjack. Depends on how others like the service, etc.
Unfortunately, I had Vonage 3 years ago, what a nightmare with all the hidden fees! Do NOT want to deal with that garbage again!

OK thanks so very much for reading! Take care!! Very Happy
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't you just have your Google Voice number ring whatever MJ number you get?

Yes, you can choose the area code and city from the available list of numbers on MJ.
eg146
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I could have it forwarded from Google Voice but no longer to my cell phone. GV seems to be working like a regular landline because each call I get from that number on my cell phone- I get billed for the minutes Sad
I don't really understand how GV or SIP plans work so I'm on my own to learn by research and trial & error. More error than anything-lol.
Time better spent job hunting.

I was going to shut GV down since I don't need it while I'm not home.

Thanks for the info about how you pick your MG #. If I have a few choices, I can always find a way to make it work. I appreciate your time.
lychy
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd be surprised how quickly little ones can learn.
Just set it up, chose a number, and write it down for him.
He will remember it in NO time!
Play games that teach him the number. It won't take much.
I'm a PreK-3rd grade Education Major and I see first hand how quickly kids can learn a tremendous amount.
eg146
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: I agree! Reply with quote

Yes I totally agree, kids learn very fast including mine. I'm probably not doing him any favors if I make it easy anyway.
A good mental challenge never hurt anyone Smile
Thanks so much!
has9999
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eg146:
You can easily have GV call both your cell and the new magicjack at the same time.
Look on your GV settings and just add the MJ as the home number. When called both phones will ring, answer from the MJ. If you wish, just delete the cell from GV.
timnop
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Phonebooth Free Reply with quote

I use a free app called phonebooth free. You can choose a local phone number from your area and have it forwarded to your magic jack. The best thing is that your local friends and family won't have to dial 10 digits to call you, only 7. The only drawback is that the actual mj number shows on your friends caller id when you call them, which can cause confusion.

The service is free as long as the incoming calls add up to 200 or less minutes per month. Cool
chrismartin4u
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of service providers those provides vanity numbers. You just need to search on Internet by using some useful search terms like vanity number services providers or toll free vanity numbers. I am sure it will help you in getting a reliable and affordable service provider.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: