magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No autoload

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mistermark
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: No autoload Reply with quote

I have Vista Ultimate and no matter what I have tried MJ will not start without manually clicking the Icon. Tech support people have been great, but still no luck.

I put mj setup in my startup folder, but still doesn't work. My problem is if there is an auto update and reboot I loose MJ until I manually load it again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to magicjack's site and then click on customer support....then try magicfix....you wanna "fix" autorun.
Kumar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
digitalnomad
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a new software update to download, read about it in these posts and also try the blue light fix.

http://digital-nomads.blogspot.com/2008/01/magicjack-software-update-available-for.html
http://digital-nomads.blogspot.com/2008/01/magicjack-blue-light-software-fix_19.html

I also am writing a post about solutions for a complete "MagicJack uninstall", so you can start clean. It will be posted Monday or Tuesday at the latest.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kumar,

What OS are you using? I tried your suggestion and on my Vista Ultimate it didn't fix the problem. I did stick the desktop MJ icon in my startup folder and that seems to work. I don't know if it is doing everything that it should be doing that way but it does come up functioning.

The reason I say I don't know if it is doing everything that it should by putting that in the start up is if you look at the Autorun.inf on the MF device there is a whole lot of stuff being configured and when you use the MJ desktop icon it just runs "magicJackLoader".

kumar, I have tried almost everything to get mine to normally autostart and nothing worked except for what I said above.
mistermark
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Still not working. Reply with quote

I have already tried everything listed above, including putting MJ in the startup folder. I have no problems with xp, but can not get Vista to load MJ without double clicking on the icon.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistermark,

Have you applied the Vista Update patch from MagicJack?

You can get it here:
http://www.magicjack.com/site/customercare.html
mistermark
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Yes Reply with quote

I have run the Vista update several times. Remember, even tech support hasn't figuired this out for me yet.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistermark,

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/viewtopic.php?p=2929#2929

Take a look here if you are willing to attempt this ... mine would not auto start either until I did this. I did it for a different reason but none the less it now lets me put the icon in the startup folder and it does auto start.

PS - If you decide you want to give it a go please backup everything on the MJ box first. If you have Acronis drive image you can also do it that way. I did both but never needed either. Just better to be safe than pissed off as hell at me. Crying or Very sad

This is not my brain storm it has been done by several others and that is how I found out about it..
digitalnomad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@HolmanGT-

Thanks, I read your instructions on the other post. Is this fix for Vista only, or for both XP and Vista?
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitalnomad,

Well I had not given that much consideration. But I do know this to be a fact; the latest update and the Vista Update are the same software package and their Tech Support recommends installing the Vista patch even if you are using XP.

So my "shoot from the hip" answer is if the MJ box has corrupted software on it, get rid of it i.e. format it. When you go thru the re-registration you will end up with the same software on XP that you will have if you are using Vista. And the unit does do an upgrade after the re-registration and you will end up with a clean newest version 1.73.4153.2910 of their software.

Actually I forgot your original question Wink hope this answers what you wanted to know. XP and Vista use the same software so what fixes one should be good for the other. But Like I said and it doesn't hurt to repeat it to often Make a backup of the existing software on you MJ Box. If for no other reason if you want to go back to the way is now it will be a cake walk.
digitalnomad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HolmanGT wrote:

So my "shoot from the hip" answer is if the MJ box has corrupted software on it, get rid of it i.e. format it. When you go thru the re-registration you will end up with the same software on XP that you will have if you are using Vista. And the unit does do an upgrade after the re-registration and you will end up with a clean newest version 1.73.4153.2910 of their software.

I buy it, but it kinda makes you wonder why there are two icons. Ha
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digital,

"I buy it, but it kinda makes you wonder why there are two icons. Ha"

I know what you mean and I don't understand that either. But if you look at the desktop Icon it doesn't call anything on the MJ Box. It simply launches "C:\Users\George\AppData\Roaming\mjusbsp\magicJackLoader.exe" witch doesn't have anything to do withe either of the two drive Icons.
But if you make a backup you should always be able to reverse the process.

PS - Don't let me goat you into anything you are not comfortable with. God forbid something goes wrong I don't want to be on your Poop list. And that is not meant to be humorous.
mistermark
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject: All Fixed Reply with quote

HolmanGT and everyone else that tried to help.....Thanks...................MJ is now finally autoloading and I am a happy camper! You guys in the forum are great!
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistermark,

You better not go to bed without telling us what finally worked for you. I have this rag doll, eye of newt, straight pins and some special herbs picked in the light of a full moon. I would hate to have to put a hex on you but if you leave me not knowing what fixed your problem... well a guys got to do what a guy has to do. Rolling Eyes
mistermark
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:25 am    Post subject: OK Reply with quote

I did not format the MJ and everytime I tried in the past to put setup in the startup menu it kept disappearing. This last time I unchecked hidden files, so that they would now show. I copied setup into startup menu and now it both shows in the menu, rather than vanishing...and it loads everytime. Tech support tried to help me for 90 minutes the other day with no success, but now I got and I'm happy, happy...so there it is......also check your control panel for international calling info.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: OK Reply with quote

mistermark wrote:
I did not format the MJ and everytime I tried in the past to put setup in the startup menu it kept disappearing. This last time I unchecked hidden files, so that they would now show. I copied setup into startup menu and now it both shows in the menu, rather than vanishing...and it loads everytime. Tech support tried to help me for 90 minutes the other day with no success, but now I got and I'm happy, happy...so there it is......also check your control panel for international calling info.

Great - but what files did you unhide the ones in the MJ directory on your computer or on the MJ black box or both. Tell me a little more about where to locate the international call info?
digitalnomad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be nice and let tech support know about this.

It could save others lots of time. People will go to Tech Chat before they will find this forum.

Just a thought...
digitalnomad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: OK Reply with quote

HolmanGT wrote:

Tell me a little more about where to locate the international call info?

New items are added to your account page at my.magicjack.com...nothing works quite yet. There also is a call history log that appears to be non-functional (no numbers recorded).
mistermark
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: All Fixed Reply with quote

My call log was listing all calls from the past 30 days. In ref. to MJ, I opened MJ and the drive box that gives details and unchecked hidden files and then copied the setup.exe and moved it, that's all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: