magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OBi110

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Alternatives to magicJack
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nugrl
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
Nugrl wrote:
Its funny you say that, because we have alot of squirrels in our yard! I wonder if that would work? Rolling Eyes

Well that would certainly be my reason to Comcast on how it could have happened. I would actually point to the offending squirrel so they would know who to bill.

seriously, what could I tell them to get them out here? because once they get here and test my internet connection, they are going to say everything is fine and not change that line coming to the house, I know it.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nugrl wrote:
nailgunner wrote:
Nugrl wrote:
Its funny you say that, because we have alot of squirrels in our yard! I wonder if that would work? Rolling Eyes

Well that would certainly be my reason to Comcast on how it could have happened. I would actually point to the offending squirrel so they would know who to bill.

seriously, what could I tell them to get them out here? because once they get here and test my internet connection, they are going to say everything is fine and not change that line coming to the house, I know it.

Seriously, I told you, maybe read between the lines a little better. It almost sounds 100% that they are the issue, I would do what I had to do to get them out there. Just saying.
Nugrl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:

Seriously, I told you, maybe read between the lines a little better. It almost sounds 100% that they are the issue, I would do what I had to do to get them out there. Just saying.

so what you are saying is that you want me to fib a little? So do I just point blank tell them I want the wire outside coming from the pole to the house changed? Or will they just go ahead and do it all by themselves, if I tell them that line has been there for at least 12 to 15 years now. I bet you are right though, because god knows that is not much I have not tried to either get the MJ or the NT duo working right. here are my speeds right now, and this is with 3 computers connected to the internet, one computer playing Warcraft, and the Xbox hooked up live upstairs.

nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nugrl wrote:

so what you are saying is that you want me to fib a little? So do I just point blank tell them I want the wire outside coming from the pole to the house changed? Or will they just go ahead and do it all by themselves, if I tell them that line has been there for at least 12 to 15 years now. I bet you are right though, because god knows that is not much I have not tried to either get the MJ or the NT duo working right. here are my speeds right now, and this is with 3 computers connected to the internet, one computer playing Warcraft, and the Xbox hooked up live upstairs.

Yea, I did mention a little white lie earlier. This forum is a "little" more relaxed than another one I know, so I'll be a little more clear. I would make it look like a squirrel chewed through my line so they had no option but to change it. The downside is you will go without service for a few days, so I would do it early in the week Cool

The only troubling thing is that your connection numbers are more than good enough for either MJ or NT, so you might want to pass on the outside wire sabotage thing. Especially if you're getting the same speeds consistently. I know you've said it to yourself a thousand times, but it just doesn't make sense.
Nugrl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
Nugrl wrote:

Yea, I did mention a little white lie earlier. This forum is a "little" more relaxed than another one I know, so I'll be a little more clear. I would make it look like a squirrel chewed through my line so they had no option but to change it. The downside is you will go without service for a few days, so I would do it early in the week Cool

The only troubling thing is that your connection numbers are more than good enough for either MJ or NT, so you might want to pass on the outside wire sabotage thing. Especially if you're getting the same speeds consistently. I know you've said it to yourself a thousand times, but it just doesn't make sense.

Yes, actually those speeds are lower than I normally get. So now what? You don't think getting them out here will work, or it could screw me up even more? I can NOT go without service for even a day. I have to my two sons here that are home schooled and they have to have access to the internet. so what else might you suggest other than going out there and sawing thru the wire?
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nugrl wrote:

Yes, actually those speeds are lower than I normally get. So now what? You don't think getting them out here will work, or it could screw me up even more? I can NOT go without service for even a day. I have to my two sons here that are home schooled and they have to have access to the internet. so what else might you suggest other than going out there and sawing thru the wire?

I was suggesting something a little more subtle that sawing, maybe a nail file. They will come out if you ask them to. The problem is that if you don't get the right tech, he can bill you for it. Be as nice as you are on here, and beg a little and they would probably replace some wiring for you at no cost. The two I dealt with were both contractors, and I don't think it's a big deal to them not to charge the homeowner. They both gave me extra cables and splitters at no cost, and the second guy even installed one on a TV for me.

Just for kicks, here is another speed test site. I pick a city close to be to double check mine against the one you posted. They are usually pretty close though.

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like someone else's suggestion of finding a friend or relative with high-speed internet and taking one or both of the devices over there to test. It should give you a quick answer if it's something in your system or not.
lcompton

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nugrl:

Nugrl wrote:
lcompton wrote:

Okay, a couple of things. Why would you need to reserve a DHCP address if you're segmenting the NetTalk Duo box into its own DMZ network?

Also, I encountered an issue with reserving IP addresses within a DHCP range on the E3000. You may want to consider abandoning reserving a DHCP address and just static IP the NetTalk Duo with an IP address outside the DHCP address range. I won't go into details here, but when I was creating a video streaming subnet at home, I added a Roku box, which doesn't allow static IP address assignment (very bad design flaw in my opinion.) So, when I tried to assign a reserved IP address, I soon discovered that the E3000 can assign the same IP address to multiple devices. (I think this is an E3000 firmware flaw.)

The port forwarding and QoS steps you followed sound right on. I'm not seeing anything flaky there.

Good luck! Smile

ok, can you dumb that down for me? I followed the instructions that a very nice guy on the nettalk forum took the time to walk me thru. I am not sure myself why I did all the things I did, only that I was just trying to get this thing working right. So since you have one of these routers, and he did not, perhaps you can guide me thru this one. I sure would appreciate it! Wink

Yes, I'd be glad to. However, not tonight. It's late here and I need to wind down for bed.

I'll focus some time in the next couple of days on learning about the NetTalk Duo and see what it needs to function satisfactorily. Is this the website for the NetTalk Duo?

Please confirm the basics of your network architecture for me. I'm guessing that you have a Comcast-supplied cable modem/router going into the Ethernet WAN port on your E3000, is that correct?

How does the NetTalk Duo connect to your network? Is it Ethernet, wireless or USB?

Look for more details from me in this thread sometime this week. You may contact me through my website (URL in my profile) if you wish to dialog via e-mail.

I'm not promising anything, but I'm pretty confident that we can come up with a decent configuration to try.

With all due respect to the other forum members, I do not advocate sabotaging your cable. It's unethical and unnecessary. I don't believe your Internet connection is the source of your trouble.
Pablo123

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can even try www.voipreview.org to compare with all of the other speed test sites.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lcompton wrote:

With all due respect to the other forum members, I do not advocate sabotaging your cable. It's unethical and unnecessary.

It certainly is unethical, but so is delivering bad service and continuing to charge top dollar for it.

That said, this "certain other member" did mention that I wouldn't do it since it appears her connection is solid, hence the other speed test site recommendation. But if I was certain that my connection was the issue, and the only way to get them to fix it was a little snip snip, then point me in the direction of the clippers.
Nugrl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
lcompton wrote:

With all due respect to the other forum members, I do not advocate sabotaging your cable. It's unethical and unnecessary.

It certainly is unethical, but so is delivering bad service and continuing to charge top dollar for it.

That said, this "certain other member" did mention that I wouldn't do it since it appears her connection is solid, hence the other speed test site recommendation. But if I was certain that my connection was the issue, and the only way to get them to fix it was a little snip snip, then point me in the direction of the clippers.

I like how you think! Laughing I mean, agree with lcompton too, but, I do pay top dollar for this service and I know I have tried everything everyone has suggested to try with both of these devices, and nothing seems to have done the trick. Sorry for the delay in response, but I was fighting with Acrobat, trying to edit pdf's for my sons school work.

@lcompton Don't get me wrong. I am willing to try whatever you think may help. So I will definitely be looking for your posts on here. Thank you for agreeing to help me with this! Wink
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nugrl wrote:

I like how you think! Laughing I mean, agree with lcompton too, but, I do pay top dollar for this service and I know I have tried everything everyone has suggested to try with both of these devices, and nothing seems to have done the trick.

Yea, but lets be clear, after you posted your connection speed, I doubted if that was the issue. So I probably would try the neighbor/friend thing and anything Compton suggests first.

That said, I have had on and off dealings with Comcast for many many years and am so glad they are out of my life, at least for now. There is no love lost between us. I've never resorted to the snip snip with them but would not hesitate for a second if it was the only way I could get their attention. And then I would point to the offending squirrel for billing purposes.
Pablo123

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your having problems with both devices (Magicjack and Nettalk) it points me to your ISP.
Nugrl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pablo123 wrote:
If your having problems with both devices (Magicjack and Nettalk) it points me to your ISP.

I would have to agree. I mean like I said before, I have tried everything that everyone has suggested and nothing did the trick. Seriously, what else could it be?

@nailgunner I don't blame you for covering your behind on here, but I do admire your honesty too.
Nugrl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lcompton wrote:

Please confirm the basics of your network architecture for me. I'm guessing that you have a Comcast-supplied cable modem/router going into the Ethernet WAN port on your E3000, is that correct?
**Yes, that is correct. It is a Comcast-supplied cable modem Arris WBM760 , connected to my Linksys E3000 router. I did have a Hawkings Broadband Booster connected inline, but I took that out of the equation. I had it running in between the modem and router.

How does the NetTalk Duo connect to your network? Is it Ethernet, wireless or USB?
**NetTalk Duo is connected to my network with the Ethernet cable directly to my Linksys E3000

If you need any other info from me , ask away... Wink
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nugrl wrote:

@nailgunner I don't blame you for covering your behind on here, but I do admire your honesty too.

LOL, I'm not worried about my behind. I just had visions of you slashing up your line, and then going "oops" to the installer when it turned out not to be the problem.

It certainly points to the ISP, but you would think you would be seeing the effects of that elsewhere as well, since the family seems to be fairly heavy into on-line gaming. I hope you get it narrowed down.
Nugrl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
I just had visions of you slashing up your line, and then going "oops" to the installer when it turned out not to be the problem.

It certainly points to the ISP, but you would think you would be seeing the effects of that elsewhere as well, since the family seems to be fairly heavy into on-line gaming. I hope you get it narrowed down.

hey this still could happen ya know. let me tell you a little about this house we live in. it is a very, and I do mean very old house. it was dated back to 1765 we have been told. anyway, the outside is that very old looking stone, and it has ivy growing up all over the side of the house, right where the cable line comes down from the wire from the pole and goes into the house. (the wire, not the ivy) lol, so this ivy I speak of, is all over this side of the house and on top of my cable wire coming in. so what do you think about that? maybe its the ivy, or maybe its the carpenter ants that crawl all over the ivy that ate into the cable wire coming into the house? well, what do you think? huh? Rolling Eyes do you think the cable company would buy that one?
lcompton

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning, Nugrl.

Nugrl wrote:
lcompton wrote:
**Yes, that is correct. It is a Comcast-supplied cable modem Arris WBM760 , connected to my Linksys E3000 router. I did have a Hawkings Broadband Booster connected inline, but I took that out of the equation. I had it running in between the modem and router.

**NetTalk Duo is connected to my network with the Ethernet cable directly to my Linksys E3000

If you need any other info from me , ask away... Wink

As a matter of fact, I do have a couple of more questions:

1. Tell me a little about your network infrastructure; i.e. what applications are you running? I recall your mentioning an Xbox (or something like that) and a computer playing something called Warcraft. Assessing the context in which you mentioned these two things by name, I'm guessing that you consider them to be bandwidth intensive?
  2. What else is physically attached to your E3000 (via Ethernet cable)?
  3. Which port (number) does the NetTalk Duo attach to on your E3000?

Okay, that's three questions...

I had a look at the NetTalk Duo quick start guide and, assuming I'm looking at the right product (you neglected to answer my question about that), there doesn't seem to be much to setting up a NetTalk Duo. In fact, it looks easier than a magicJack to get going. The interesting point of note in the quick start guide is that NetTalk advises configuring the Duo in a DMZ if there are issues with the Duo not functioning. The basis for this recommendation seems to be a conclusion that the router is blocking the ports necessary for the Duo to function. I'm pretty confident that this would not have been an issue with the default configuration of your E3000 out-of-the-box.

So, this is a nice segue to my next question... What is/are/were the symptom(s) you were experiencing with the Duo since setting it up initially that were giving you trouble. Was it a question of no functionality? Choppy voice? Other? Please try to be as detailed and descriptive as you can. The more I understand what we're up against, the more confident I will be in my recommended solution.
Nugrl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lisa! I sent you a link to another post I think you should read
lcompton

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good evening, Nugrl.

Nugrl wrote:
Hi Lisa! I sent you a link to another post I think you should read

I've completed my review of the thread to which you sent me a link as well as my initial recommendation for a configuration to try and resolve the intermittent performance problems you've reported with your NetTalk Duo.

I'll begin my remarks by addressing some of your efforts thus far. You�re probably not going to like this, but life is like that sometimes.

First, permanently changing the DNS to 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.1 is a poor idea. Those are open DNS�s on Level 3�s network and there are no performance assurances on them. Further, the only time DNS is used is to cross-reference a domain name look-up to an IP address. Traffic is not routed through DNS. So, as long as your Duo is connecting to NetTalk, changing the DNS isn�t necessary and pointing to a DNS on someone else�s network (Level 3�s in this case) instead of using the nearest upstream DNS on your ISP�s network (Comcast in your case) doesn�t make any kind of sense at all. In a worst case scenario, if there actually were something wrong with Comcast�s DNS, we could set you up with Google�s public DNS�s at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. However, this is simply not necessary in your case. Therefore, I strongly recommend that you restore the DNS setting in your Linksys to be auto-assigned by Comcast.

Second, placing your Duo in a DMZ and adding port forwarding would provide no benefit unless you were actually unable to make or receive calls on your Duo when you first installed it. Since this isn�t the case, there isn�t any value in isolating the Duo in a DMZ and there isn�t any value in adding port forwarding. Both of these actions are all-or-nothing efforts. In other words, these are steps one would take to go from getting functionality where no functionality existed. Neither of these remedies, the DMZ or port forwarding, are indicated in a case where performance is the issue, which is what you�re describing. Furthermore, DMZ isolation and port forwarding are mutually exclusive remedies. It is proper to implement one of these two solutions, but not both. This is because DMZ isolation negates the need for port forwarding and, conversely, port forwarding negates the need for DMZ isolation. Therefore, I strongly recommend undoing the DMZ isolation and port forwarding changes since they unnecessarily complicate the configuration.

Third, the advice you were given about installing a 10Mbps Ethernet switch between the router and the Duo is not helpful either. While a 10Mbps switch will throttle traffic wanting to travel at rates in excess of 10Mbps, this is certainly not the case with a VoIP device, where data rates are down in the 100�s of Kbps. A 10Mbps switch will have no effect on your Duo�s performance. The Duo isn�t generating traffic anywhere near a 10Mbps data rate. So, go ahead and get that Gigabit Ethernet switch you want to add more ports to the E3000. I went with the D-Link DGS-2208 8-port Gigabit Ethernet switch for my network.

The steps you�ve taken with respect to QoS are where we�re going to be focusing our efforts. Quality-of-service is at the very heart of performance issues and I believe we may be able to improve things if we can isolate your voice traffic emanating from the Duo and configure your E3000 to place this traffic at a priority above all other traffic traversing the router. The E3000 is highly configurable when it comes to traffic shaping, which is both a good thing and a challenging thing. This means that we can configure the traffic shaping we desire several different ways and it will be a process of trial-and-error to find one that functions best.

Working through the 7-layer OSI network model, we'll start closer to the bottom (layer 1) and work our way up in the model as we strive to find a router configuration that meets your needs. Since layer 1 is the physical network layer in the OSI model, we'll assume that you have your Duo connected to your E3000 (port 2, I believe you stated previously) with a decent Ethernet cable. Here are some other assumptions I am going to make for the purpose of this exercise:

1. Your router is running the current Cisco/Linksys firmware version 1.0.04 (build 6) dated 1 December 2010 (if this is not the case, please download the latest E3000 firmware and upgrade your router before making any changes),
  2. Your router is undamaged and functioning satisfactorily,
  3. Your Duo is undamaged and functioning satisfactorily (I recall your stating that your Duo is already upgraded to the current firmware release), and
  4. You have not made any other configuration changes to your router that involve traffic shaping of any kind. Please remember to undo the previous changes you've made as outlined in paragraphs 3 and 4 (above) of this message.

If any of these assumptions are in error, kindly advise accordingly.

With layer 1 of the OSI model safely out of the way, we'll move up to layer 2, the media access layer. This is where we will begin our efforts to shape your network traffic to improve the performance of your Duo. If we succeed here, then great! If not, we'll move up into layers 3 (protocol) and 4 (transport).

A complete copy of the E3000 user guide is available here.

Locate the Applications and Gaming > QoS page as shown below:

Figure 1: Lisa�s traffic shaping on her Cisco/Linksys E3000 Router

You�re going to want to set the Internet Access Priority option to Enabled. After enabling Internet Access Priority, you�re going to want to add a voice device by choosing Voice Device from the Category drop down box. After choosing the Voice Device option you�ll see a data entry section immediately below the selected category where you can enter a name for the voice device, such as NetTalk Duo, the MAC address and select the traffic prioritization for the device. You�ll be selecting High for your Duo.

The MAC address for your Duo is a hexadecimal (base 16) number written in six octets. I�m not sure how the MAC address is rendered on the Duo, but it will either be a string of 12 alphanumeric characters ranging from 0-9 and A-F or a string of six two-character octets usually separated by colons ( : ) or hyphens (-). The MAC address provides the router with a way of electrically-identifying your Duo (and other network devices) at an electronic level before we enter the protocol stack and application layer. This is the most basic way of identifying network devices.

After you complete the three fields, be sure to click the Apply button to save your Duo�s settings to the device summary list at the bottom. I left my devices in the list as an illustration so you can see how it looks when implemented. In my device list are two VoIP devices (the OBi110�s) with traffic tagged as the highest priority. Next up, are the two video streaming clients (my Roku box and my Sony Bravia television.) Very low on the list are my print servers, which receive small bursts of traffic whenever I send a print job over the network.

After you have this basic configuration setup, I�d like you to give it a try for a few days to see how it works out for you. If you discover that you�re still having performance problems with your Duo, try to make a mental note of what else is happening in the house at the time you�re experiencing performance problems. For example, does your telephony conversation degrade if someone is playing the Warcraft thing or the Xbox? Are there any other environmental themes that seem to share some common thread with your telephony usage?

As I said, this is a first step in trying to resolve the performance problem with your Duo. If this doesn�t improve things, we�ll move onto the next layer in the OSI model, which is 3. Layer 3 is the base protocol layer where we can shape traffic by the IP address. It may even make sense to incorporate layer 4, the transport layer, into the equation and add some traffic shaping by port.

Good luck!
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: How to block your outgoing caller ID on an Obi. Reply with quote

I read this today...
If you have a Google Voice number associated with the Username on the OBi, and you make a call from the OBi, then on outgoing calls, your Google Voice number will show as the caller ID.

Here is a work-around using **2 and another Gmail account.

1. Set-up a second service provider on the OBi's "Service Provider 2" settings using a new Gmail UN/PW.
2. Make sure this Gmail username does not have an associated GV number.
3. Anytime you want to block your caller ID, dial **2 and the destination number, e.g. **2-1-719-567-6742
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BrentOwen
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I get a google voice account and a US number would I be able to make outgoing calls with the obi110 from Canada? I know I will have to be in the US to get a Google Voice account set up, or have somebody create one for me from in the US. I rushed into this too soon without researching that I would need a google voice account with a US number. I thought I already had this because I can make calls from my gmail account but I realize now that I don't have all the information required to set up the OBI110.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrentOwen wrote:
If I get a google voice account and a US number would I be able to make outgoing calls with the obi110 from Canada? I know I will have to be in the US to get a Google Voice account set up, or have somebody create one for me from in the US. I rushed into this too soon without researching that I would need a google voice account with a US number. I thought I already had this because I can make calls from my gmail account but I realize now that I don't have all the information required to set up the OBI110.

If I can make a suggestion.... Try posting your question in the OBitalk forum. I am sure you will get a faster response there. http://www.obitalk.com/forum/
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
synchron

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my OBi100 a couple of days ago and, I must say, I really like the features and the easy GV setup. I replaced my old Innomedia Sunrocket ATA and can really hear a better quality call with the G711u codec. (That's 16x better quality than MJ's and 2X better than G729a which the Innomedia uses.)

I am keeping my sipsorcery account and set up a 2nd service with sipsorcery/IPComms/GV/ to remotely monitor (via Email) who's calling in. I also like how it bridges remotely with the circle of trust feature.

Obihai, way to go!

Synchron Cool
dtm
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the new firmware update by clicking the icon on my Obi portal page (I love that feature) and my Obi110 is just working like a fine Swiss watch. No complaints with the service so far. Anyone else have any cons?
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dtm wrote:
Took the new firmware update by clicking the icon on my Obi portal page (I love that feature) and my Obi110 is just working like a fine Swiss watch. No complaints with the service so far. Anyone else have any cons?

The ***6 is even cooler Smile
I don't show an update for myOBi100, so I guess it is only for the 110..

No complaints here either except every now and then I get choppy sound ( oddly I NEVER got that with my MJ) I call back and it is gone.. And, believe it or not, from time to time I get a beep and people hear a beep. Got to love VOIP and DTMF huh??? The beeping has been an issue for VOIP for MANY years ( long before MJ). A simple Goolge search shows it has happend even with Vonage.
dtm
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the firmware came out on Sunday. Something to do with the SIP/IP dialing.

No beeps here just great voice quality. Razz
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:

No complaints here either except every now and then I get choppy sound ( oddly I NEVER got that with my MJ) I call back and it is gone.. And, believe it or not, from time to time I get a beep and people hear a beep.

Please say it ain't so Joe (an OLD song). Choppy calls? Having to call back? Beeps? We need an investigation. Probably because you decided to go with the 100 and not the MJ killing 110. Cool
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
bitstopjoe wrote:

No complaints here either except every now and then I get choppy sound ( oddly I NEVER got that with my MJ) I call back and it is gone.. And, believe it or not, from time to time I get a beep and people hear a beep.

Please say it ain't so Joe (an OLD song). Choppy calls? Having to call back? Beeps? We need an investigation. Probably because you decided to go with the 100 and not the MJ killing 110. Cool

Once in a blue moon I hear some choppiness on my side only. Have to chalk it up to Googles end. As there has been many times I am doing almost full bandwith u/l and d/l and not a burp ( or a fart) that Hawking HB1 really makes a difference in that aspect, even with the MJ.
I used to get beeping on my end all the time with MJ, usually when talking to a female. I have had that since day one almost 3 years ago, but I had gotten used to it. Every since MJ fixed the beeping issue they cause by an update I havent had one where the person whom I am calling heard it. I have had one person tell me they heard a beep in the 2 weeks since using the Obi. So time will tell if it will become a PITA thing or not
Turakz
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Obi110 - Help Needed Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I recently got the Obi110 after reading this forum. While I'm quite impressed with the overall functionality, I am having a few problems with the device that I was hoping I might get some help on.

1. DTMF Tones are not working properly thru this device. They work fine if I connect my handset directly to the phone line for example but not when connected thru the Obi110 device. I have to try entering them many times before the number I�m calling recognizes them.
2. Caller ID is not showing up on my handset. Again it shows up properly when my phone is connected directly to a phone line.

Has anyone else faced (and hopefully fixed) these issues?

I couldn�t much info on this online. I'm thinking there might be some settings I'll need to modify on the Obi110 web interface. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Obi110 - Help Needed Reply with quote

Turakz wrote:
Any help will be much appreciated.

Crank up the old Google. There is an Obi forum where I would assume you would get considerably more, if not better, help.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/

Just call me Google Joe Smile
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the obi let you change the dtmf tones like a pap2? I have to change mine to inband when I use GV with sipsorcery to get the dtmf tones to be recognized by automated systems.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sabresfan wrote:
Does the obi let you change the dtmf tones like a pap2? I have to change mine to inband when I use GV with sipsorcery to get the dtmf tones to be recognized by automated systems.

Probably. Just get the IP of your OBi ( ***1) and enter that in a web page. LOTS of settings there. Just make sure you uncheck default and set to disabled auto provisioning in System Management otherwise any changes you make wont stick. Then click submit and reboot the Obi.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/

Just call me Google Joe Smile

Yea, I should have provided the link. I know how you Obi users have a hard time walking and chewing gum at the same time. Laughing

Fine Print: No offense towards past, current or future Obi users was intended, either intentionally or unintentionally. I am sure that you are all fine people and the majority of you are fully capable of walking and chewing gum at approximately the same time. Cool
dtm
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Obi110 - Help Needed Reply with quote

Turakz wrote:
Hi Guys,

1. DTMF Tones are not working properly thru this device. They work fine if I connect my handset directly to the phone line for example but not when connected thru the Obi110 device. I have to try entering them many times before the number I�m calling recognizes them.
2. Caller ID is not showing up on my handset. Again it shows up properly when my phone is connected directly to a phone line.
Thanks.

In your ITSB Profile for Google Voice (probably A) make sure the checkbox for [X_UseFixedDurationRFC2833DTMF] is checked. That is one of the default settings the GV setup wizards on OBI's site sets for GV. My Obi does work when sending dtmf tones to automated systems.

I don't know about the caller ID issue. Some phones are sensitive to caller ID sent by ATA devices. My Panasonic cordless would not get caller ID from my Magicjack until I did the 100K resistor trick. http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/inbound-cid-possible-fix-t108.html

You might give that a try if all else fails. FWIW: The same Panasonic phone gets caller ID just fine without the resistor on the Obi.
jeffnyc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When setting up Port Forwarding and QOS with both the Obi110 and having magicjack plugged into a pc, what are the best settings, which sip, rtp ports to forward to what?

I am somewhat confused on the sip ports overlapping between the two devices.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffnyc wrote:
When setting up Port Forwarding and QOS with both the Obi110 and having magicjack plugged into a pc, what are the best settings, which sip, rtp ports to forward to what?

I suggest you post your question here http://www.obitalk.com/forum/

There is a guy there named Ron R who I am sure would be able to help you, and if not him? MANY many other people there who could/would help you out.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffnyc wrote:

Ok two different subjects here. First with regard to the port forwarding; you should not need to do any "port forwarding" for basic operation of either the MJ or the OBI unless you have a poorly working router.

The MJ, MJ+, NetTalk and OBi's among many other devices are all Analog Terminal Adapters (ATAs). All ATAs need to "register" themselves with their voip service providers and in that process send out packets from the LAN to the WAN via your router. Part of the Network Address Translation (NAT) function handled by your router is to include information to the voip service about what LAN ip (added by the router) and port (chosen by the ATA) the ATA is using for signaling so that the voip service provider can notify the ATA when an incoming call is available. When an ATA starts up and periodically thereafter, in case your ip changes, it re-registers.

When the voip service provider detects an incoming call for you it contacts your ATA via the address (LAN ip and port) information provided when the ATA "registered". Your ATA will respond to this "invite" using the same signaling port it used during registration and in addition open an RTP port on your router using the UPnP framework and NAT features for the audio path of the call to take place on and notifes the voip service provider of the port number for the audio path to be used.; your router will add the LAN ip address of this audio (RTP) to the acknowledgment (ACK) information it passes back to the voip service provider in response to the request.

The software contained on an ATA registers to voip service providers using a port. In the case of MJ that is YMAX the parent company of MJ and uses port 5070 for it's signaling. Since the MJ also displays ads and handles E911 etc in addition to voip functions it requires additional ports be enabled for it's proper use. In the case of NetTalk that is NetTalk's network which i believe uses the pseudo standard sip port 5060. I have no idea what ports the new MJ+ uses.

In the case of the OBi the voip service provider(s) can be what ever voip service provider(s) you have chosen. Most folks use the free Google as one of the service providers for the OBi's but you can choose from many many different service providers out there. The OBi's can register and function with two separate voip service providers and therefore have two separate voip phone numbers both handled by the same attached phone. The default ports used by the OBi are 5060 for it's service port 1 (SP1) and 5061 for SP2.

In addition to the two voip services which can be registered to the OBi's service ports every OBi registers to Obihai's own network and has a "obi number" here it can be reached or make outgoing calls to other OBi devices or Obion software devices and smart phone applications but again these are managed via UPnP framework and to the user on a properly working router this process is transparent.

On the OBi110 there is a fourth "line" input which is an input from a POTS line coming either from ma bell or the output of a different voip device such as MJ or Nettalk or other ATA.

The OBi's can be setup to make use of up to 7 other voip service providers for making outgoing calls using it's voice gateways in addition to the 3/4 mentioned above but do not get "registered" since they are only used for outgoing calls. The reason registration is required is so that on an incoming call to you the voip service provider knows what ip address to send the call to so that it can be handled by your ATA and since you can move your ATA or your ISP can change your ip address this is a variable and must be reported to the service provider periodically (registered).

I hope that helps you understand the workings of the ATA devices. The important thing is that the same port numbers can be used by different LAN ip addresses at the router.

Above I mentioned that ports must be "enabled" to function properly this is not the same as opening (port forwarding) a port in your router. In stand alone ATA devices like the NetTalk Duo, MJ+ and the OBi and all other ATA's I know of the proper ports are enabled by default in the device. In the case of MJ since it works thru the firewall on your computer some care needs to be taken there to make sure all the ports MJ needs to use are enabled. MJ trys to enable them when it loads but in some cases firewall settings on the computer may be interfering and cause MJ troubles.

You would only need to forward a port or ports if you wanted to allow anonymous incoming calls to the ATA device. This is a more advanced topic and really only useful for the OBi so questions about it are probably best left for the OBi forum.

As for QOS you should let your router handle QOS and the best setting there are dependent on your specific router and software. Since my LAN is much faster that my WAN connection I only use QOS on the WAN side of the router. In my case I am using DD-WRT router software.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Alternatives to magicJack All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: