magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oct 30 - MJ Changes Device Passwords - all softphones broke

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on Linux
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swalter718
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Oct 30 - MJ Changes Device Passwords - all softphones broke Reply with quote

At some point on Oct 30, 2010, MagicJack made a change affecting, at least, my MJ Dongle. I suspect it's the individual device password that we all covet that has been changed, possibly to purposely disrupt and "defend" against future Linux use of their system.

I use mjproxy (compiled on Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick) along with Twinkle as my soft phone. I also have Ekiga configured, but prefer Twinkle so I usually only use Ekiga for testing and debugging purposes. While mjproxy continues to happily perform it's duties of being the virtual dongle, both Twinkle and Ekiga failed to register at some point on Oct 31, with no system changes made on my side to account for the failure.

I called MJ Cust Service and they were their usual evasive selves regarding their latest "update", speaking in the vaguest terms when I asked what this latest update actually updated or changed. "We're constantly improving our products and services by providing periodic updates to the MJ Dongle." That's about as much as I could get out of them. At one point they became curious as to why I would need to know the specifics of what, exactly, their update included. I was informed at that point that the specifics I was asking for were considered "proprietary information" and would not be addressed further. So, that ended that helpful call.

I'm going to "update" then re-dump my MJ on my XP box and compare with my last dumps to see what the hell they did. I'll post my findings later. In the meantime, if anyone else experienced the Oct 30 shut-down or has further insight and understanding of the issue, please comment.

**swalter718**
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on Linux All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: