magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Official BEEPING troubleshooting thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rarely get the beeps and due to getting the MJ+ device it is now located about 7 feet away from my wireless/wired Linksys router.

also have it on a line filtered UPS unit.

I hope someone figures this out, sarge912 with the RFI filter said it's back to beeping again.
CPUjohn
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: I added a DSL filter too... Reply with quote

I have a box of leftover DSL filters from previous installations also, and I added an MPhase DSL filter. There appear to be two types of standard telephone filters; RF (that filters 1-30Mhz), and AM (which filters out AM broadcast & DSL signals). I believe the DSL AM low-band filters might do the trick, I will keep you up to date with how well this works.
edknn
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved my MJ Plus about 4 feet from my modem and router and have not experienced any beeps since. If this continues working, my question is why didn't the people at MJ figure it out? Makes you wonder how they ever developed the product in the first place.
CPUjohn
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: No more beeps since moving wiring, and adding DSL filters. Reply with quote

To answer EdKnn's question, I suspect that the MJ+ was located near telephone wiring, and they ran Ethernet to that location. What I was doing was centralizing all telephone wiring very close to where are computers, routers, servers, switches, and accessories all came together. After I figured out what was happening, I kept phone wires at least 12 inches away from computer wires, and remotely powered the MJ+ off a UPS away from a computer power strip.

I am guessing that they probably built the MJ+ to handle normal RF, but being that close to unshielded RF noise, was just too much to inexpensively filter out.

The device should come with instructions to mount far from computers, and if possible, to remote your telephone wiring away from computers. The MJ+ will work best if you use a longer Ethernet cable than the patch cable supplied with the unit. It also helps to plug the MJ+ far away from where the computers are powered. If you use cordless phones, remote the MJ+ near the base unit of the phones, and make a longer Ethernet cable to connect.
NewGuy
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Beeps & Screeches Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the tips; I was able to fix the problems of beeps and short screeches in the MJ+ system I just set up in my house as a trial.

I had MJ+ plugged into a power strip with everything else. I unplugged it and moved it into its own outlet. I removed the flat network cable they supplied and replaced it with a nice cat6 normal, somewhat-round twisted pair 10' cord and moved the whole thing 8' away from the wireless router it had been plugged into and sitting 2' away from before.

One or some combination of those things helped solve the problem; the noise is gone. Everything looks promising now.
Magic Jack Tips
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Beeping Reply with quote

I've never experienced the beeping on a call, but I have when trying to get my fax to work.
CPUjohn
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Faxing may be getting beeping if DTMF sensitivity is high.. Reply with quote

I would contact MJ and see if they could turn down your DTMF sensitivity. If you can no longer dial with a tone-pad, then it's too low, otherwise, perhaps your particular machine/modem has an issue. I send faxes on my MJ+ with very few problems.
Mayo
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me I have sorted the issues, with my Magic Jack Plus...
I used have problems with
The cracks, static,beeps, choppy and cuts in and out sound issues.
After doing these 6 steps all are fixed.

1) I made my Magic Jack DMZ on my router.
(Step by step : http://zaxa.ca/magicjack-plus-not-working-plugged-directly-in-the-router-solved)

2) On top of it i opened ports 5060, 5070, 49152, 65525 on my router, and gave magic jack plus a static IP.

3) I upgraded the firmware to the latest for my magic jack plus.Plug magic jack into a computer then download
Magic Jack Firmware (Feb 2012) 2.0.13 (a113100301d015) then install it.
For windows get it here http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/magicJackSetup.exe

A big issue seemed to be:
the location of my magic jack and phone lines... I had them all scattered behind my tv and mixed with my cat 5 cords/ power

cords, cable lines and router. The Magic Jack plus was on a power bar with 10 other things...
From what I read the cat 5 cords/router can interfere with the magic jack (causing cracks and beeps) ..
4) so its better to use a 14foot cat 6 cord(I got a new high quality one) and get the magic jack as far away from the router

and cords as possible... Directly after moving the phone cords and the magic jack to its OWN plug bang it seemed to work

better.

Although what i posted above helped.. I did a few other things, as it wasn't completely fixed.( still some random static

sometimes.)

5) I figured the Magic jack was overheating... during a call I put my hand on it and it was SMOKING hot... remeber this is

computer hardware so heat = BAD...i decided to get an exacto blade and pop the front plate off my magic jack. I then got a

plastic lid from strawberries and cut it to the exact size of the front plate.. I then poped 10-15 holes in the plastic

strawberry lid with a paper hole punch and then taped it back into the place the "magic Jack front plate" sat. I obviously

kept the magic jack faceplate so i can make it "original" at anytime.
(Watch this video to see him holding the front plate @ 5:17 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfTNHcLNdwk)

6) I also Used the included 6 inch usb cord to keep the dongle away from the power plug/heat.

Some other things you might want to know
I used panasonic 6.0 cordless phones.(Model KT-tg9331cta)- not required but recommended
The phone cord to the magic jack was approx 5 feet.
The Cat 6 cord I used was a rocketfish rf-pcc107 high performance cat 6

Since I did these 6 steps (dec 27 2012) my magic jack has worked perfectly, and I recommend you try the steps I listed

above.It took me many days of reseaching, and many days of frustration to lay out this Magic Jack Plus "fix" try them, I hope

they work for you as well.
slacker29
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have had the beeping issue going on for months now. It actually started for us after we got hit by Sandy. We had some power outages but nothing blew as we found out over trial and error. We ended up replacing our cable modem, switched from a magic jack plus to a regular magic jack, did all the updates, put the MJ Plus in the DMZ and even put the PC with the regular MJ in the DMZ. None of this worked. Our router is a DLINK 655 which we just replaced recently as well.

After reading a lot of these posts we moved the entire MJ away from where it initially sat. We had the MJ connected pretty close to our router using a 6ft Cat cable and powered up on a strip near the router and cable modem.

We switched back to the MJ plus, moved the MJ to another outlet about 8ft away then ran the Cat 5e cable through a switch we have in our office that is connected to our router. So far no more issues with the beeping. We haven't had any reported beeping issues all day. I hope it stays that way. Thanks for all the advice from everyone.
slacker29
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought my troubles were over after moving the MJ and putting it with a different cable, diff location, and through a switch but once again the beeping has persisted. Ignore my last post saying i got it working because it doesn't.

On top of that there is no way to forward the damn phone number to a landline. What a joke!!!
anyberg
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject: beeping is gone Reply with quote

After many chats with magic jack online and trying a bunch of different combinations the fix we found was to buy a new DECT cordless phone and have the Magic jackass on the online chat turn off the "extension dialing". The cordless phone generates a dual tone when a number button is pressed which works fine at our bank, comcast, ect, when we need to "press 1 select the billing department". Try it it worked. We have our MJ plugged into our router. Good luck.
hempster
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Beeps Reply with quote

Hi
I'm having to same problem.Can you explain a little more in detail what you did to fix the beeps.I don't understand when you say to "turn off the "extension dialing"

Thank you

Max
Starfire
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Annoying beeping sound continually heard during conversation Reply with quote

As mentioned elsewhere, this problem can easily be fixed by logging into your Magic Jack account and opening the Chat option. Copy/paste the following comment into the Chat window and press Enter.

Hi - My MJ number is XXX-XXX-XXXX. Most people I talk with, report hearing continual, and extremely annoying "beeping" sounds while we're talking - a problem well-known to MJ tech support. Not long ago, I spent over an hour with your higher-level tech dept, and he had me download the latest upgrades and firmware for my MJ unit. He said the "beeping" sound can easily be corrected by having YOU lower my "DTMF sensitivity", then "RESETTING" my MJ unit. I have the MJ unit plugged directly into a USB port, now, and I'm logged in. Will you please decrease my DTMF sensitivity level and reset my MJ unit?

Be sure to replace the XXX's (shown above) with YOUR MJ phone number. The Chat person will make the necessary changes on their end, and then ask you to call someone to test that the beeping sounds have been eliminated. It takes about 5 mins. My experience with MJ Support has been great - they take whatever time is necessary to help you resolve your problem. If the Chat person is unable to help, they will forward your problem to higher-level tech personnel, who will contact you - which could take one week. A little patience on your part, could solve your problem, and deter you from throwing your MJ unit away.
[/b]
DanTheMan54
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject: beeping and no dialtone Reply with quote

This weekend started getting the busy signal and no dial tone, and after over 3 hours in dealing with 2 levels of technical support having me doing all sorts of things with no luck they hung-up on me (had me move my MJ plus directly on the router in another part of the house, guess I took to long). After all of that I rereviewed my setup and found;

that my voice mail timer was set to less than 45 seconds. I changed that to 1 minute and my system started/is working.

hope this helps some of you to check this before you waste your time with tech support who are some of the least technically proficient people I have been in contact with. MJ really needs to rewrite these peoples scripts and teach them the basics of networking hardware.
SandraLynn
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:36 pm    Post subject: Changing DTMF Sensitivity Gives you Loss of Touch Tone Reply with quote

The problem that I had with MJ changing the dtmf sensitivity is that I then lost touch tone. Chat told me that they only have one setting. I can't tolerate the beeping, but I have to have touch tone. It used to be that if you didn't have touch tone when you made a call, you had the option to just stay on the line. That's not the case with all companies anymore. They end the call if you don't push a selection. MJ said that their engineers can set the sensitivity for both touch tone and to eliminate the beeping. I am awaiting the engineers email. If they do give me both and fix the problem, I will post again.
Arnie962
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Moved to PC Reply with quote

New to this site and looks like a lot of pretty good info.

Well boys and girls. I finally gave up and removed the unit from my router. I plugged the MJ into a usb port. So far no beeping. reluctant to lower that dtmf setting for touch tone issues.
Rolling Eyes
Appreciate any pitfalls or reported issues with the usb use.
Thanks
Arnie
SandraLynn
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to MJ's Facebook page and told them about this long-standing problem. They reviewed my long history with this issue and then sent me the newer MJ Go free of charge. It solved the problem. The new MJ must have been modified to resolve this issue. I was ready to throw in the towel. I actually bought a cell phone to start using as my new house phone, but after I received the new MJ, I didn't have to go that route.
Arnie962
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Great!! Reply with quote

SandraLynn wrote:
I went to MJ's Facebook page and told them about this long-standing problem. They reviewed my long history with this issue and then sent me the newer MJ Go free of charge. It solved the problem. The new MJ must have been modified to resolve this issue. I was ready to throw in the towel. I actually bought a cell phone to start using as my new house phone, but after I received the new MJ, I didn't have to go that route.

Great Sandra, Were you connected to your PC via USB port or were you connected to your router? Also , what was your connection when having beeping errors. I may try that also. Did they request you to return the old MJ?
Thanks
Arnie
H2O
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: BEEPING MJ+ Reply with quote

[quote="SandraLynn"]I went to MJ's Facebook page and told them about this long-standing problem. They reviewed my long history with this issue and then sent me the newer MJ Go free of charge. It solved the problem. The new MJ must have been modified to resolve this issue. I was ready to throw in the towel. I actually bought a cell phone to start using as my new house phone, but after I received the new MJ, I didn't have to go that route.[/quote]

Well, I did everything on this issue (MJ-Plus) you can think off. If MJ resets the account I loose touchtone responses. If I have touchtone response (handset, ie for tone for banking call trees, etc.) the callers on the other end get BEEPS every minute or two.

I called MJ one last time and got a Warranty replacement (cost $24.95 it was out of warranty but they promised to send a MJ - GO). Should know if this fixes that beeping and touchpad response issues by this time next week??

I have had MJ for 4 years and this problem came up about 3 months ago
SandraLynn
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was connected to my router, but I ended up connecting to my laptop for awhile because the connection seemed somewhat better. The problem was that I had to choose between having touch tone service or screeching/beeping. A person can't be w/o touch tone these days. Every company uses it now for the most part. After awhile, I had no touch tone and I had the screeching/beeping as well. That's when I threw in the towel. MJ asked me to return the old one, but they told me that it wasn't mandatory so I didn't.
Arnie962
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: MJ Go Reply with quote

Has anyone had any beeping problems with the MJ Go device.
Arnie
SandraLynn
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the squelching anymore. Actually the new MJ Go worked really well until a couple months back when I switched internet providers. I have a high pitched hum/buzz on my phone now. I'm currently researching a reason and fix for that problem. I know my internet speed was reduced, and I'm thinking that's where the problem lies. My husband has a much higher speed, and he never has a problem with his MJ Go. I keep unplugging and resetting everything. I may try unplugging all the way back to the modem and wait a few minutes and then reconnect it all in order.
H2O
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: SandraLynn - So it stopped beeping/keypad works too! Reply with quote

So did you have a MJ plus and they sent you a MJ- GO. And that solved both problems?

I have a MJ+ and I got a MJ-Go on they way.

I spent to many hours trouble shooting this. I am highly technical and I done everything on my end you can do. The MJ itself would be the last thing.

Thanks!!
SandraLynn
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They sent me a MJ Go. Then the screeching stopped, and I had touch tone service again. My new problem is an occasional high-pitched buzz on my phone. I had it yesterday, so I unplugged the MJ from the power source and from the router. I plugged them back in and that fixed it. The only thing is that it keeps recurring - like once a week.
Arnie962
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject: Nuisance Reply with quote

It seems like no matter what is tried, it's always something. I know it's a nuisance to plug into computer and put up with that GUI popping up. But starting to think the router plug in is causing most of the problems. I was going to order that MJ-Go unit today. Think I will just wait a bit to see how it works for H20.
If I didn't get in for 5 yrs, I might look for another option.
Arnie
SandraLynn
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm staying with MJ since I don't use the phone all that much. Plus, before I changed my internet service, I didn't have any real complaints with the MJ Go. I've had a MJ for years. Once I sign back up with Comcast in 10 months or so, I'll probably be all set again. I also use the MJ App on my Tracfone. All of my calls and text messages are free and when my phone starts acting stupid with the buzzing, I just use my cell phone with the MJ App so I have a phone with good reception. I don't get charged against any of my minutes on my phone either. Good luck with what you decide to do. Remember, for the money we're saving, the hassles are sort of worth it. (Verizon has a service that costs about $27 a month after purchasing the base, so that's another option if the MJ headaches become too unbearable. Or we could just settle for a cell phone.)
H2O
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I noticed that the power adapter tends to be loose in the wall socket and I have to open the prongs to get a snug fit. This may contribute to the occasional screeching. Also, the MJ itself is heavy and if hanging on the wall tends to pull down on the power adapter connection. I have a
Panasonic KX-GT7741 Cordless phone connected to the MJ (4 cordless phones and a base unit.) I looked at the online owners manual for this and found that a couple of my settings were set wrong. Under Initial settings, then, Set Tel Line the Set Flash Time was not set to the default of 700MS Flash and the Set Line mode should be set to default line "B." I had the Line Mode set to A and a flash time of 900ms? Also, the talk volume should be set to 1 not 5 bars.

However, the callers on the other end still get BEEPs but not as frequent as before.

Awaiting my MJ-Go probable come next Monday??

Also, the local cable company want $10 + $5 + taxes per month and a $25 install charge for added a phone service. NOT doing that. Will keep troubleshooting this issue. And I have a Nexus tablet (no phone service) with the MJ App and my local phone comes up on it with MJ service. That's cool in a pinch!!
SandraLynn
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one thing I can say is that if you talk too loudly or get excited during the conversation, MJ will beep. That's why if the sensitivity is turned down, it usually fixes the problem (with loss of touch tone that is). I found myself talking really low so it wouldn't beep. I'm pretty confident that MJ Go has addressed this issue. Here's the email message that was sent to me on Facebook. This may answer some of your questions:

"Hi Sandra, thanks for reaching out. I checked the account and I see your DTMF sensitivity has been adjusted several times in the past. The issue is the device captures the voice pitch as a digit being pressed, which causes the beep. When an adjustment is made the beeping usually goes away but unfortunately the result is sometimes customers cannot press digits or extensions while on a call. Your model is the 2014 magicJack PLUS, and the DTMF is very sensitive, especially combined with certain telephone model types. What I can do is offer you a courtesy free replacement device (I will waive the warranty cost for you). The model you will be receiving is the magicJackGO. The magicJackGO is not as sensitive to DTMF, as it is one of our latest models."
H2O
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! SandraLynn, like you I have wasted many hours with support and if only they would have told me this!!

You right, I like to walk around and talk and sometimes I talk real fast and boom, the caller on the other side says... are you hitting the keypad??

Thanks for the info on this and since it is searchable maybe we can save someone else the aggravation of the long solution process.

Hope the MJ-GO solves the issue.
H2O
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SandraLynn - Looks like I will get my MJ-GO on Saturday via mail.
When you replaced your MJ-Plus with the MJ-GO how did you register it?

Did you plug it in the wall or on the computer to accomplish that? And then did you sign in to your existing MJ account as an existing user? Also, I assume your phone # stayed the same?

Did you have to chat with MJ support to get them to adjust the DMTF sensitivity or did you just plug in the MJ-GO and everything worked?
Thanks!
H2O
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SandraLynn - Thanks for posting this problem as a current 2016 issue.. It help me get to resolution. Most of the post are very old .......

Arnie962- Looks like the MJ- Plus IS the issue like SandraLynn stated with her chats with MJ Support.

Got my MJ-GO an hour and 1/2 ago and talked to my sister in Chicago 40 minutes .. clear line and no beeps on her end.. also touchpad works fine with the banking site. I am going to do a long test call later today with my brother in Austin, TX who also has a MJ-GO. In the past, he and my sister have been complaining about the beeps. One down (sister) and one to go before I claim victory!!

Also, if you are going to get a MJ-GO, go to your MJ sign on under Accounts and scroll down, then click on Warranty replacement. Even if out of warranty it will be cheaper to get if at $24.95 then going to the store and paying $59.95.
I ordered my Wednesday and got it today (Friday).

Let's see if the call later today is without beeps... I suspect it will be.....
Arnie962
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Great!! Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I guess I will send out for one myself.
Right now I am not having any problems with the usb hookup. But have to keep my pc on all the time. I also downloaded that program to have it run as a windows service. That eliminates the popup screen.
Thanks Again
Arnie Very Happy
H2O
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Magicjack beeping beep and keypad problem solved Reply with quote

Problem solved... No beeping and keytone/keypad works with 1,2,3,4,5 prompts with phone banking. .

I am now connect via the wall socket with power adapter with phone/Ethernet cable.

No issues last 3 days several very long calls...... also used Voicemail prompts and banking (keypad) prompts with no issues. Line clarity is very good too!

Solution: Magicjack Plus has issues of beeping or keypad response. See earlier dialog on this on page 31.

The fix is to go to a Magicjack-GO which seems to have a different logic.

Thanks SandraLynn and Arnie962
Arnie962
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Magicjack beeping beep and keypad problem solved Reply with quote

H2O wrote:
Problem solved... No beeping and keytone/keypad works with 1,2,3,4,5 prompts with phone banking. .

I am now connect via the wall socket with power adapter with phone/Ethernet cable.

No issues last 3 days several very long calls...... also used Voicemail prompts and banking (keypad) prompts with no issues. Line clarity is very good too!

Solution: Magicjack Plus has issues of beeping or keypad response. See earlier dialog on this on page 31.

The fix is to go to a Magicjack-GO which seems to have a different logic.

Thanks SandraLynn and Arnie962

Hey there H2O, is that MJ Go still performing ok. Started to get a few crackling noises in my plus. Want to check and see if you are still good.
Thanks
Arnie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: