magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old man Needs help using MJ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wsb123
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:59 am    Post subject: Old man Needs help using MJ Reply with quote

I have an issue using magic jack. I am a retired servicemen and my knowledge in computer is average.
Me and my wife have retired to Australia due to health conditions. My daughter who is currently living in the US has sent me a magic jack so we could talk to her at a cheaper rate.
Now I have received the magic jack.I have also installed the magic talk software. But it doesn�t work irrespective our numerous efforts. My daughter claims she has already paid the annual subscription for us. She haid paid cash at a store rather than an online subscription.
Can one of you kindly tell us what we should do now? - What details do I need to enter to this software to get it working?- do I need to reregister using my details?
All help from my fellow countrymen appreciated.

David and Beth
kevin8629
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Old man Needs help using MJ Reply with quote

wsb123 wrote:
I have an issue using magic jack. I am a retired servicemen and my knowledge in computer is average.
Me and my wife have retired to Australia due to health conditions. My daughter who is currently living in the US has sent me a magic jack so we could talk to her at a cheaper rate.
Now I have received the magic jack.I have also installed the magic talk software. But it doesn�t work irrespective our numerous efforts. My daughter claims she has already paid the annual subscription for us. She haid paid cash at a store rather than an online subscription.
Can one of you kindly tell us what we should do now? - What details do I need to enter to this software to get it working?- do I need to reregister using my details?
All help from my fellow countrymen appreciated.

David and Beth

Was the package opened when you got it? If it was still sealed in the bubble pack, then yes you need to register it. When you purchase the magicjack 1 years service is included. One sugestion. If you already have a local phone. When you register the magicjack pick a number with an area code that is local to your daughter. That way you can call each other at no cost, in fact you can call most places in the us at no additional charge this way. You say you installed magic TALK. You have magic JACK you may have to contact customer support to help you with that. Or maybe someone will chime in here

Kevin
wsb123
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you please elaborate the stages?

1.I plug in the MJ
2 register (do i use codes 0011***or just 077**
kevin8629
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wsb123 wrote:
can you please elaborate the stages?

1.I plug in the MJ
2 register (do i use codes 0011***or just 077**

When you plug it in Magicjack should guide you through the process. If it does not. I would recomend going to www.magicjack.com and choose customer support on the bottom of the page. I will be chat based, and can be frustrating, so be patient. Good Luck

Kevin
Bill Smith
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing I would try is deleting the MJ software. Download the software here:

http://upgrades.talk4free.com/tools/mjRemover.exe

When complete, simply plug the MJ back in and let the software automatically reinstall. If the MJ has already been registered, just wait until the software installation is completed. If the MJ has not been registered, fill in the necessary information.

Do not install MagicTalk. If you have MJ, you won't need it.

Once you do get it working, when you call the US, simply dial the 10 digit number. No country code is needed.

I used my MJ in Australia (Melbourne, Perth, et al) and it worked well. One thing to consider is that some Australian internet service providers charge for the amount of usage. If yours does, it might be wise to disconnect the MJ when not actually in use. If someone calls while the MJ is disconnected, you'll get an email about the missed call.
Diggs
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify, MagicTalk and MagicJack are independent and two separate products. You don't need to use one with the other. MagicTalk is just software and allows you to make calls using your computer using headphones or earbuds and a microphone. MagicJack does the same thing but plugs into your computer and allows you to plug in your telephone to the MagicJack and use that instead of the headphones and microphone. Or, you plug a telephone cord between the MagicJack that is plugged into your computer and the phone wall plate in your house and all your phones can them be used (be careful to unplug the old standard phone line from your house first.)

(I thought the MagicJack had to be activated in the states first and then sent overseas, but I may very well be wrong.)

It can be frustrating at first, but don't give up. There is allot of good help here in the forums. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Once you get up and running it is definitely worth the effort.
wsb123
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the responses. Now my issue is, I did register the MJ but i never got an email with my password.So now when i try to use the MJ it asks for my email and passoword. So since i did not get a password I put my email address and asked the password to be sent to that but then they say the 'email address was not found'. So no i am tototally stuck. I can reregister as well and they say it has already been registered. Is it because i registered it overseas?

Please help, what can I do now? BTW, I did get a long number *0100567*****
what is that? just to clarify I have not received any emails from Magic jack so far.

Please help.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wsb123 wrote:
Thank you all for the responses. Now my issue is, I did register the MJ but i never got an email with my password.So now when i try to use the MJ it asks for my email and passoword. So since i did not get a password I put my email address and asked the password to be sent to that but then they say the 'email address was not found'. So no i am tototally stuck. I can reregister as well and they say it has already been registered. Is it because i registered it overseas?

Please help, what can I do now? BTW, I did get a long number *0100567*****
what is that? just to clarify I have not received any emails from Magic jack so far.

Please help.

That long number looks an awful lot like my MagicTalk number, and not a MagicJack number. I do believe that at the time you register, you give them an email and the password you want to use for your MagicJack account with that email as your log-on. They don't send you a password.
kuhntech
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would seriously look into using Skype. In my experience the quality has been great and they even offer free video calling. Even have a smartphone app for your daughter Smile

http://www.skype.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: