magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

One MJ+ works, One doesn't work well as stand alone or w/Mac

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Mac
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rdlsmith
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: One MJ+ works, One doesn't work well as stand alone or w/Mac Reply with quote

I bought two MJ+'s, one for personal use and one for business. I have to Macs, one for personal use and one for business.

One MJ+ seems to work great when plugged into a power outlet via an APC UPS. I run a cat5 cable directly to a 2Wire router. No problems with that one. There's a yellow light that blinks (not the network thing but right by the blue light) but the blue light appears to stay on.

However, the second one connected the same way will drop calls after 20 minutes. I was asked by tech support to check if the "blue light" was blinking. It was so they sent me a new power adapter. The thing is, the blue still blinked. It may be that first MJ+ also drops calls after a period of time but I haven't notice it yet.

Anyway the new adapter didn't work in that their was no change in the behavior of the suspect MJ+ so I decided I would just plug the it into a computer and be done with it. I'm using a Panasonic 2-line phone to handle both lines but in the preference of the software interface you're allowed to select "telephone" so that seemed to work well for a time.

The problem is, after a time there's no dial tone. I don't know how long it takes but I have to unload the software and reload it. Or, just unplug the MJ+ from the computer and plug it in again. Also, after a time the software seems to loose its configuration regards using the telephone vs. "Headset/Other". Someone will call and the only way to answer it is on the Mac via software.

Chatting w/tech support seems useless. I thought I had found a "better way" with MagicJack. But it seems unreliable at best. I really would prefer not using them with the computers as I may need to reboot the computers or shut them down while on the phone. I thought I had a great setup with the UPS (w/only the two MJs plugged into it), two cables to the router, two phone lines to the phone. It was really great to start out.

I know the power adapters are a known issue with MJ but I've tried their replacement and several of my own. Two from Apple.

Is it possible I just have a defective MJ+ device? If so, how do I prove this to tech support with out learning a new language or spending hours chatting with them?

Is there anything else I should try before trying to get a new device?
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the MJ+ behave when it is powered directly from the wall and not via the UPS?

Home quality UPSes do not output a perfect sine wave, and this can wreak havoc with a switching power supply that is not engineered to handle input from a UPS.

If the MJ+es work well when plugged directly into the wall, then I would recommend either getting a true sine wave UPS or a higher quality USB power supply.
rdlsmith
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mberlant wrote:
How does the MJ+ behave when it is powered directly from the wall and not via the UPS?

Home quality UPSes do not output a perfect sine wave, and this can wreak havoc with a switching power supply that is not engineered to handle input from a UPS.

If the MJ+es work well when plugged directly into the wall, then I would recommend either getting a true sine wave UPS or a higher quality USB power supply.

Sounds like excellent advice. I happen to have a CyberPower CP1500PFCLC UPS but I wasn't using it for the MJs. I think it is a sine wave UPS but I'm not sure. The APC UPS I was using is a "Backup 600" and I've had it for years.

Anyway, I plugged the personal use one (the one that seems to work fine) into the CyberPower and the blue light is solid but the yellow light right beside the blue light is blinking, giving it the appearance that the blue light is blinking. Not sure what if anything that means. You must look at it at just the right angle to see that.

For the one that has been failing, I plugged it into the wall directly. I will discontinue use of the older UPS for the MJs. I should find out tomorrow what if any performance changes there are related to the new configuration. I'll try and report back here either way. Thanks for your time and advice.
rdlsmith
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: so far, it seems to be working Reply with quote

mberlant,

While the suspect MJ+ was plugged into the wall I was able to conduct a call lasting 50 minutes or so with the MJ+ failing.

I then plugged it into the CyberPower UPS and had another meeting that lasted about that long, again without problems. I don't think it would have lasted that long using the APC UPS so this is an improvement at least and maybe the solution.

Thank you very much for the help.

Regards,

rldsmith
Pilot
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: so far, it seems to be working Reply with quote

rdlsmith wrote:
mberlant,

While the suspect MJ+ was plugged into the wall I was able to conduct a call lasting 50 minutes or so with the MJ+ failing.

MJ will cut off calls at about 45 mins.
mh1983
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it doesn't. I've had many calls last longer than 45 min without a cut-off.
Pilot
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky You ... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Mac All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: