magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ooma (Keep all Ooma discussions here)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saxman
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, much better to pimp something that works then own something that dosen't. Your phone's a joke and your a fool to pay them 20 bucks a year for 3rd world service. Welcome to the 21st century. Majic Joke is stealing your money and your not smart enough to see it.
msiam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Hilarious!!! Kenny G.. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
saxman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys need to keep on topic. I started the thread to discuss alternative options to a failed phone system. Now, if you have any real input, throw it out there, but this petty bs is irritating. If you have a question about Ooma-ask it. If this subject bothers you, trade threads, start your own, or just move on.
msiam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saxman wrote:
Yea-I know you guys down there in that stinkin hot desert pay a premium for women. I been there. But, ya see, I was blessed having been born with great looks and there's never been any money required. But I do like to show a woman the respect she deserves and that includes going the extra mile to make sure our phone conversations are super clear. I don't want to mistake echo and clicking for a panting and heavy breathing!

!

Hey KennyG.. Can we get a photo to see why you're gettin all the ladies and we ain't??? Shocked
saxman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure-Send me a 20 and I'll be glad to autoghraph one for ya. In the meantime, get a phone that works and you can at least be really clear while spinning the bull with some hog. lol
laserjobs
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenny G why the magicjack hating, have you ever thought that POTS might be the best fit for you?

Some of us here love our magicjack for $20 a year. I still can't figure out why anyone would spend $200 for phone service you don't even know will be around in a couple months. Also the P2P security holes of people listening in on your conversations is just plain disturbing.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

msiam wrote:
Hey KennyG.. Can we get a photo to see why you're gettin all the ladies and we ain't??? Shocked

Something tells me it involves a blow-up party doll. Smile

Mark
saxman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone wanting to know more about the Ooma phone system, I'll be glad to help. Fools and clowns need not bother . Real questions only and these other idiots with lame statements sound just like 8th graders. It's really sad to hear adults talk the way this fool from Az does. Completely clueless and afraid of new technology. Stay under your rock, Ooma is light years ahead of what you can handle anyway.
lcompton

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Just A Minor Point of Clarification... Reply with quote

Good evening, saxman.

saxman wrote:
...and these other idiots with lame statements sound just like 8th graders.

Does this include the boy in my eigth grade class who told me to pull in my fangs?

Just curious...
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record, ooma did not invent community POTS line sharing as a way to avoid international or domestic long distance charges. Jeff Pulver did, around 1996 I happily contributed my Singapore POTS line to the first incarnation of Free World Dialup, unconcerned that the fellow in Dallas who was contributing his POTS line for my free enjoyment might be listening in on my calls back home. And, I never did listen in on anyone else's conversation -- what for?

That was a few years before SIP, the VoIP protocol that most of the world uses, came into its own.

So, it seems that ooma, wonderful as they may be, is employing two well established VoIP schemes, which puts them not ahead of anyone, technologically.

As for the idea of a "failed phone system," not one of the three under discussion in this thread has as yet gone belly up.
saxman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose that depends what you consider "belly up". I say Magic Jack is a huge failure. It may turn on and you can dial out, sometimes but the call quality is the worst on the market. So if thats your idea of a succesful company, then so be it. Most people pay for things that work. Magic Jacks stealing money and selling a faulty product. It's only a matter of time before they are forced to either fix the thing or shut down. It's a scam and people don't push the issue because they are only lossing 20 bucks. But Dans ripping alot of people off and should be held accountable. By the way-Ooma dosen't share lines-that was 2 years ago.

Last edited by saxman on Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total
saxman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compton-If you can't take the comments, then don't start slinging garbage and insults at total strangers. When you come on here, and don't know a thing about me and throw out a 2 dollar insult like "misogyny" then your looking to be slammed right back, little girl. Learn some manners and watch your mouth. It'll get ya in trouble.
lcompton

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Okay Daddy... Reply with quote

saxman,

saxman wrote:
Compton-If you can't take the comments, then don't start slinging garbage and insults at total strangers. When you come on here, and don't know a thing about me and throw out a 2 dollar insult like "misogyny" then your looking to be slammed right back, little girl. Learn some manners and watch your mouth. It'll get ya in trouble.

Are you kidding? What are you going to do? Come to my home and murder me? I'm worried. No, really, I am.

Oh brother...
saxman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You am what? lamebrain!-get a life loser!

As for the guy wondering why anyone would spend a whole 200 bucks for free calls for life anywhere in the US,well, do the math. I get crystal clear calls and have no phone bill. I have no irrirtating phone problems or lousy tech support. I have a better sounding phone with free caller id and a built in answering system. Better sounding then a landline-Your calls are not clear and they are not dependable and to say they are is bull and you know it. Ooma is 100% safe and if you look at any user reviews of Ooma, you won't find one complaint of any kind from anyone! Can MJ say that?Of course not. I had the thing for nearly 3 years which was 2 years too long. The first year it worked ok, but now Dan has oversold it and the lines are plugged and he's doing nothing to fix it. So, this thread , I started for people that want to find out about other systems out there that actually deliver what they promise. Ooma does. All I can say is read the reviews.
saxman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

". I have seen a lot of posts comparing Ooma to Magic Jack. There is no comparison. Magic Jack is a USB adapter that requires a PC running 24/7 to handle your phone calls. PC crashes, no phone. Want multiple lines/scouts... too bad. The Magic Jack is a toy compared to Ooma. Additionally Ooma's basic features are far superior to Magic Jack and requires NO FEES! With Magic Jack you do have to pay annual fees for unlimited calling. So Ooma will actually be cheaper in the long run for most users!"

The above statement is from Ooma user reviews on page 6-
t4feb
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: OOMA Reply with quote

I agree 1000% Ooma beats magic Jack Off hands down
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saxman wrote:
your looking to be slammed right back, little girl. Learn some manners and watch your mouth. It'll get ya in trouble.

Oh yeah. You set the bar for maturity. Reminds me of this one too:

Quote:
My lady friend hates it and refuses to talk to me when I use MJ. So, I'd really like to introduce her to my dongle but she's having none of it until I get a better sounding phone. So MJ is effecting my love life now and I gotta switch.
--http://phoneservicesupport.com/post31066.html#31066

Mark
saxman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks t4-it's pretty hard to get some on here to listen but maybe someday. Tell me, did you get one and is yours the whole unit with the Cadet for the other rooms? I didn't get it becuse I have a cordless with an exstention. I didn't need the second line but maybe in the future. Isn't the sound great?
saxman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quit the whining AZ-My God man-your worse then a little old woman. Don't you have some kind of hobby, I'm mean besides your little dongle?lol
laserjobs
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saxman and t4feb, you guys should try POTS from your local phone company. Less risk of them going under like ooma and no $200 initial outlay.

These guys sound like a couple of "Baby Oomers" gonna get punk'd
maine-iac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Saxman should be banned from this site. His disrespect for others is obvious and does not contribute to civilized debate. If he cannot be banned, then he should be ignored.
saxman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O really-have you seen the crap thats been thrown my way I started this thread to talk to other people intersted in Ooma and other phone systems. Some people have taken way off topic. I've been on this forum since MJ came out and if people want to ask me a question about Ooma-they can. If thats problem for ya-skip the thread-simple.Respect is a two way street bud!
msiam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Sax is right.. this is the Forum, we can talk about anything, I am just reading all the hurling back and forth and it is quite entertaining, I know it is his views and he's on a band wagon.. (hence.. Said he's a musician..lol) about the ooma.. no big deal.. if he wants to push that.. Its pretty damned funny with looking back at all his raving for the good of MJ and now the turning on it.. but that IS his prerogative.. I don't want the ooma, it sounds like he likes it, the only thing I would say is that this thread is border line "Rant and Rave and Lounge.. Either way.. He has a right to gripe, as long as he sticks to the website rules, which he has been.. Cool

BTW.. I am mainly trowing crap his way to get him riled up and spew.. Now, I dont care who your are.. That shit is funny!!!
saxman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks-I think so too. And your right, partially, that when MJ started up. I would have bought stock in the company. I wrote Dan and thanked him for the great new phone. But that was almost three years ago and if the call quality had not dropped the way it did, I would still use MJ. I don't know if it's just worse in the West but I have 3 other friends nearby that are having trouble with the audio as well. So, it's not like I enjoy giving away 200 bucks for something that used to be free and worked good. But when she said she didn't like me calling her with MJ, it had to go. I started getting alot of bad feedback about a whole range of nasty sounds coming through. Too bad, cause the 1st year or so was pretty good all the time.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

msiam wrote:
Its pretty damned funny with looking back at all his raving for the good of MJ and now the turning on it..

Right. I can understand the cost/benefit calculus changing because a) MJ becomes less useful, b) another product becomes more useful. But, with "Saxman," everything is gung-ho, or damned for eternity. There's no middle ground. Which diminishes his praise (and damning). Nobody can trust what he says because everything is *so* personal with him.

If he treats his women this way, it may explain why he's having trouble maintaining relationships. Voice quality could be a "perception" problem. Wink

Mark
saxman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No-you just seem to have mental block that keeps you from understanding what I'm saying-Its real simple MJ sounds lousy-Now, do I need to repeat that or why can't you get it? My new phone sounds great-your right-it's black and white-good phone vs. bad phone. The poster today told you the same thing. Said that Ooma was 1000 times better audio. But still you keep coming with all this junk. You really need to let it go. Your beating a dead horse and I'm here to answer questions for people about Ooma.Check the title of the thread-you may want to just move on to something you can understand.
laserjobs
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saxman wrote:
I'm here to answer questions for people about Ooma.

So are you a representative of Ooma?
msiam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sax, maybe this would be something to help with the lasting relationship situation Robot Love and Sex in the future this could be something and you wouldn't need ooma to get lucky anymore Shocked (Just pickin' on ya man..why?? Cause its fun) As anyone else can see, there is hope coming for all!!! Very Happy
maine-iac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saxman wrote:
O really-have you seen the crap thats been thrown my way I started this thread to talk to other people intersted in Ooma and other phone systems. Some people have taken way off topic. I've been on this forum since MJ came out and if people want to ask me a question about Ooma-they can. If thats problem for ya-skip the thread-simple.Respect is a two way street bud!

Ignoring you....
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mberlant wrote:
I happily contributed my Singapore POTS line to the first incarnation of Free World Dialup, unconcerned that the fellow in Dallas who was contributing his POTS line for my free enjoyment might be listening in on my calls back home. And, I never did listen in on anyone else's conversation -- what for?

Most people I know wouldn't hold that kind of Flower-Power (people are essentially good) worldview when they call their bank (or stock broker) and asked to confirm their identity with a social security number, or "secret questions."

I'm perfectly ok with some kind of communal, POTS-sharing phone system as long as I know that's what I'm using. I can make informed choices concerning the types of calls I'm willing to make with such a system. (And which I'll pay 1.5 to 2.1 cents per minute to make with greater security.).

Ooma's problem seems to be a lack of disclosure. They poo-pooed the security warnings with some hairbrained excuses of a "proprietary" method to detect that the POTS owner was listening in. That's not just poo-pooing the warnings, but outright *lying*.

And, unfortunately, it fits other patterns I detect from Ooma. They don't seem to be very straightforward about anything. They say in an email to Saxman that they've stopped the communal phone system. But, their FAQ site doesn't address it. We know they can't offer "lifetime" phone service for a one-time hardware purchase. They seem to evade that issue too.

I don't expect a for-profit business to be pure. But, my BS detector goes off as much with Ooma as it does with Dan (and the people he's associated himself with). At least with Dan I only stand to lose $20 once a year.

Mark
gators5
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooma--this is worth reading.

http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/rich-tehrani/voip/ooma-the-fcc-backed-phone-company.html
laserjobs
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gators5 or saxman could you comment on this tidbit of information about Ooma?
Quote:
I have a friend who tried Ooma and the international calls are horrible. Not only do they start billing as soon as you dial, you get charged even if the call does not connect. What it means is Ooma is using cheap gray routes to terminate calls which is illegal in some countries. He promtly returned it to Costco after he figured out what they were upto.

Bottom line is Ooma is upto some sketchy stuff and stay away.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gators5 wrote:
ooma--this is worth reading.

http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/rich-tehrani/voip/ooma-the-fcc-backed-phone-company.html

This called the writer's integrity into question:

Quote:
The company agreed and changed the way their devices work - now using a new network they have developed. There are no longer security issues I was told during a dinner meeting with CMO Rich Buchanan and VP Corporate Marketing Tami Bhaumik.

Ooma told everyone (repeatedly, for over a year) there was no security issue when they were terminating calls using customers' landlines. They tell this author the same thing once, and he believes them?

Mark
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way to know for sure that it is not true is if someone like saxman comes back here to report that his ooma lit up when he wasn't using it, and putting a butt set on his POTS line allowed him to catch someone else's conversation.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mberlant wrote:
The only way to know for sure that it is not true is if someone like saxman comes back here ...

I hope he wasn't banned. He was obnoxious. But, it is the "lounge." I wouldn't expect a great deal of decorum here.

Mark
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe he was banned. And I hope he reports back here whether he finds nirvana or something less in ooma-land.
laserjobs
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is Ooma is on it's last legs and the shills are not being paid anymore.
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe saxman is a shill for ooma. Rather, I believe he was honestly (on his part) sucked into their vortex. If ooma lasts 10 more months, saxman is ahead of the game. If not, will have lost the bet. Either way, he bet with his head and not over it. Just like we did.

The one big feature that ooma has, but no other low end VoIP service has, is the availability of the "Scout" slave box. This allows for a second simultaneous call from the same account, which will reduce saxman's payback to 5 months from 10 if he uses one. When the MJ vs. ooma cost model is compared on that basis, a $250 ooma kit with Scout vs. 2 $40 MJs with 2 $20 renewals, the ooma breaks ahead on the fifth anniversary.
corvette
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: ooma results first time user Reply with quote

I just hooked ooma up, 6600/1100 comcast cable, the quality of the call is out standing I had ViaTalk for almost 2 years ooma sound quality is 10x better.I just got off a 1 hour call to the UK, it was like her being in the same room, no echo, no static, no choppy voice. BTW I tried magic jack and well..... it was thrown away with the trash Shocked why does every one think if you give a postive first hand review of ooma you work for them? Rolling Eyes
murphy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly because you said that you threw the MJ away and are now posting in the MJ forum. If you no longer have one, why are you here?
corvette
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

murphy wrote:
Possibly because you said that you threw the MJ away and are now posting in the MJ forum. If you no longer have one, why are you here?

that was a term of speach, I still have it, just not using it, hows that? Rolling Eyes Many have said it worked for them, it just did not for me Laughing

what did was ooma
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

corvette wrote:
that was a term of speach,

Maybe the same hyperbole exists in your review of Ooma?

FWIW: I agree MJ's sound quality is horrible (for the past 2 months). I can determine that using Skype or vbuzzer.com (at 2.1 cents or 1.5 cents per minute, or $70 a year plans). No need to plonk down $250 on a service who's business model is yet to be disclosed.

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: