magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Panasonic DECT Phones and no Caller ID with MJ ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smaerd58
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Panasonic DECT Phones and no Caller ID with MJ ? Reply with quote

I have been talking with the online MJ support and told them I am having an issue with my Caller ID and they said they are aware that the DECT phones are having issues with not showing Caller ID and they are working on a fix. Has anyone else had this issue like me? I have the Panasonic base unit and 6 phones.Thanks
LikeMagic
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it that the MJ softphone displays Caller-ID OK and your Panasonic DECT phone doesn't. Did you take a look at the Caller-ID fix here:

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/inbound-cid-possible-fix-t108.html

Adding a 100K resistor to the MJ's phone line fixes this issue. Try it.

Last edited by LikeMagic on Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total
SpamBox
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm using the Panasonic KXTG1033, CallerID works for me. Well at least the number comes up, and if the number is already in my phonebook, then the name comes up too. Are you saying you don't even get the phone number to come up?
SpamBox

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course the only name that's been coming up lately is my GC number! So it doesn't really make a difference. Laughing
smaerd58
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am not even getting numbers to show up just says incoming call. I am using my cell to call the MJ Home. And other calls I get no number? PANASONIC KX-TG1034S 1-BASE 5- WIRELESS UNITS Worked with landline fine. Rick
LikeMagic
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need the 100K resistor Caller-ID fix, see above
smaerd58
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I got lost someware. This is my set-up No Landline. MagicJack only. USB Port on back of computer to MJ to phone in on Panasonic Base Unit 5 other phones wireless with ac adapters to Base Unit. How will the resistor trick work for me? Man I tried dealing with MJ tech support chat and as far as they are concerned there is no problem on there end they blame the caller ID on the phones..... Alos CID worked once on MJ then went away again?Was also wondering if installing a dedicated PCI USB card would give more power to MJ instead of onboard USB ports?They said they have never heard of this problem before? Thanks
LikeMagic
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MJ has a standard RJ-11 phone jack. The RJ-11 jack typically has 2, 4 or 6 pins.
The center (middle) 2 pins are for line 1, surrounding pins are for Line 2 and Line 3 (if present).

Pin arrangement:
1--2--3--4--5--6

3-4 Line 1
2-5 Line 2
1-6 Line 3

You will need to add a 100K resistor across Pin 3 and Pin 4. The simplest way is get a phone jack coupler.
Open the coupler and add the 100K resistor, then connect one end of the coupler to the MJ, the other end to the phone:

MagicJack <----> coupler <----> Phone
smaerd58
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LikeMagic-Did you solder the resistor onto the pins? also noticed that if you use a straight coupler than we have to have another cord from MJ to coupler than cord to telephone?Is there something we can buy that will do the same as the resistor for non tech people? Thanks
LikeMagic
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I soldered the 100K resistor to the Red & Green (AKA Tip & Ring) wires of the phonejack coupler (see attached pic):

NOTE: if you perform this mod, don't forget to use electrical tape to cover the resistor's exposed wires to prevent short Smile
smaerd58
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the coupler mod that LikeMagic showed us how to do and I can tell you it solved my problem. I went to Radioshack and bought the 100K resistor which comes in a pack of 5 for $1.00. Then went to Lowes and picked up a standard telephone cord coupler and small telephone cord 12" for $7.00 the whole total came to $8.00 awsome now I have caller ID...... Thanks goes to LikeMagic and
Snafu2

Here is a pic of final product then wraped up with electrical tape so no contact would be made when you snap the coupler back togethher.

Last edited by smaerd58 on Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
LikeMagic
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! The credit goes to snafu2 for the original fix! We're here to help each other!

BTW, you could also find the phone jack coupler & extra phone cord for $1/each at most Dollar Stores.
SpamBox

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still wonder why your Panasonic's didn't work in the first place....

But that's great that the fix worked. Good pic too! Your camera does a good job at the macro setting!
smaerd58
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what the deal is with the phone. I experimented with it for like 4 days trying different things. This is what I came up with. When I uninstalled MagicJack and pulled out drivers and reinstalled like new install I had Caller ID. Once the phone rang again same number or other number I didn't have it any more? I tried the phone cord Mod and that worked fine every time just didn't like how the final product looked. Went with LikeMagic Mod I like that better. I thought about the Dollar Store but thought my luck they wouldn't have what I needed, Day late $6 Dollars short Smile I wonder if my Ultra 600 Watt PSU might be putting out too much inference? Yes the pic came out large but easy to see for us old timers Smile it's with a Kodak 7530 Thanks
bogie624
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Any Suggestions? Reply with quote

My softphone displays CID name & number but my Panasonic TG1033 Handsets just display
Incoming call. I did the 100k mod and checked the coupler for resistance pin 3 & 4 and have
100k Resistance. What could I do next?
LikeMagic
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Suggestions? Reply with quote

bogie624 wrote:
My softphone displays CID name & number but my Panasonic TG1033 Handsets just display
Incoming call. I did the 100k mod and checked the coupler for resistance pin 3 & 4 and have
100k Resistance. What could I do next?

So you're saying you did the 100K resistor mod in the coupler and you're still experiencing no caller-ID? If so, what are the wire colors of the coupler that you wire the 100K resistor to? For most couplers, it's the red and green.
bogie624
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likemagic , Thats correct I soldered resistor to the red & green wires On the
coupler and checked good with ohmeter.
bogie624
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LikeMagic. I'd like to add, coupler I used is a dual coupler. My hookup is pc Usb port, Cable that
came with MJ, then Mj, then modified dual coupler, then telephone wire to cordless phone base
unit.
LikeMagic
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you let the phone ring a few times to see if the caller-ID shows up? Usually, caller-ID would show up after 1 or 2 rings.

Another thing to check is to make sure that the red & green wires in the coupler are the two centered pins of the coupler. Sometimes, the 2 centered pins/wires are not red & green due to poor assembly.
scook587
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question - Does MJ service provide callerid with name and number or just callerid with number.
The only time I get a name with the incoming call is if I have added it to the contacts list in the
softphone. I still will only get the number and not the name on my Siemens 2.4 ghz cordless
phone with three extensions.
SpamBox

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scook587 wrote:
Question - Does MJ service provide callerid with name and number or just callerid with number.
The only time I get a name with the incoming call is if I have added it to the contacts list in the
softphone. I still will only get the number and not the name on my Siemens 2.4 ghz cordless
phone with three extensions.

Just the number, but if you use the Panasonic DECT phones and add entries to your address book - those numbers will show names.
scook587
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks spambox, guess I need to upgrade my phone someday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: