magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pap2 up for months but now wont connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fmflex
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: certs Reply with quote

OK THIS IS WHAT I HAVE SO FAR.

Go to:http://voxilla.com/tools/linksys-certificate-authority-service-for-voip-adaptors

you can generate a cert there but when you get to the screen that says install cert instead of hitting install cert (don;t it wont work not for a pap2 at least) go view source code.

Towards the bottom you will see "idcert" and "idpkey"

That's the cert and the private key. Cut and paste it to the ATA. Now from here I'm stuck. It still wont work although it has been reported to work on other boards. There must be some settings that still need to be changed.

I have to go but I'll play around with it later. If someone figures it out either post it or pm me please.
sachinagre
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: I agree Reply with quote

doctorman wrote:
ooma
almost 200$ nice device no computer needed
perfect quality
at least free for 3 years
unlimitted calls to US (really 3000min per month) but mj kills if you use anything close to 2000min per month so ooma still better

the only thing that MJ has better is calls to canada which is really not that needed for 90% of users specially with their quality of calls.

in our life we always pay for convenience and quality specially living in america. MJ is a toy compared to other voips.

Agreed.
Even I am regretting I paid $40 for the MJ and $50 for the Linksys PAP2T, I should have paid around $150 for Ooma (in Staples, with coupon) and would be living in peace by now...!!
I am done now. Not gonna pay MJ for the next year service.
shipingli
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Use gizmo5 with an ATA Reply with quote

anant wrote:
Hi Folks:

Has anyone tried Gizmo5 phone with an ATA?. I have been using with Innomedia MTA6328 and PAP2. The sound quality looks reasonable. This requires no computer. You can hook to the router. Free incoming calls and Outgoing calls 1.9 cents/minute. You can connect regular telephone. Any comments ?

I signed up Gizmo5 and use GV to receive calls. I have not yet buy credit but I can call toll free number with it. Quality sounds good.

FYI, The credit expires 365 days after your purchaser.
jumpin jack
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to cancel my service too and switch to another company that will appreciate my business.
MeRookie
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: alternatives Reply with quote

braveheart7628 wrote:
hi guys
check this site: http://www.smartvoip.com/en/
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=104384556095

Guys be careful here I have read from other forums once you setup your account and pay money they will increase calling rates.
dmalovic
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: I agree Reply with quote

sachinagre wrote:

Even I am regretting I paid $40 for the MJ and $50 for the Linksys PAP2T, I should have paid around $150 for Ooma (in Staples, with coupon) and would be living in peace by now...!!

I am visiting from Europe and thinking hard about what VoIP service to buy to have the US number back home. Because MJ fights against ATA's, I think I will go ooma route, even tohugh I was willing to pay 20$/yr. Can you explain how to get a Staples Ooma coupon that lowers the price so much?

Thanks in advance,

Domi

P.S. So stupid of MJ to chase away customers like this. Very few customers would ever use ATA's for connecting anyway Sad
tdave00
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree it's stupid of magic jack unless they are rolling out some BYOD plan. If they can identify who's using an ATA then they can easily monitor minutes and simply suspend the offenders. I barely used 2-300 minutes per month with it and I get penalized because I am running it through a PAP2?? Makes no sense to me.

I got my MJ free from a friend and thought the service had expired so I logged into the account and sure enough it had. I renewed the service only to find out it was really down because of the measures that MJ had taken. If I had known it was down because they were blocking ATA's I wouldn't have even renewed it. The MJ service is daylight and dark when using an ATA versus the USB dongle, and I won't even consider renewing it after my service is up.
sachinagre
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: I agree Reply with quote

dmalovic wrote:
sachinagre wrote:

I am visiting from Europe and thinking hard about what VoIP service to buy to have the US number back home. Because MJ fights against ATA's, I think I will go ooma route, even tohugh I was willing to pay 20$/yr. Can you explain how to get a Staples Ooma coupon that lowers the price so much?

Thanks in advance,

Domi

P.S. So stupid of MJ to chase away customers like this. Very few customers would ever use ATA's for connecting anyway Sad

2 months back, when I bought MJ, some folks did a price match in Staples to some other store to bring the price down and then applied 30 OFF 150 staples coupon on top of that.
Google "staples coupon" and you will find places to buy it from.
lycuidice
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So back to the PAP2 ATA....are we all just sol???
lacakid
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:36 am    Post subject: When someone has a fix please post it (onMajicJack) Reply with quote

I was able to get a dialtone on my PAP2 using the domain talk4free.com or whatever it was and it shows registered now BUT it doesnt make or recieve calls..........

SOL I guess for now Razz
Stryker
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Thin Client.... Reply with quote

Well, looks like no PAP2 fix so I went with Thin Client. Works better than PAP2. Too bad I didn't go that route first time.

Stryker1
kwerner
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I ask why this "worked better" than the PAP2 (assuming you had the PAP2 working before)? Doesn't the thin client need the MJ softphone software to work?

Which thin client are you using? What platform OS?

Finally, there were things I liked about the PAP2 (besides the low power and always on) such as the ability to set whether or not there was voice mail so that phones that have this capability can alert me. It doesn't seem to be a feature of the MJ Softphone.

Did you find the voice quality improved?

Forgive the question but by thin client, were you referring to:

(a) Hardware thin client (basically like a terminal service client)
or
(b) Thin client software accessible via Browser or something like that

Did your thin client require the MJ dongle plugged into the USB jack (I assume yes).
oldtimercurt
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me for suggesting that the forum on using MJ on a thin client would be very informative regarding general info. Admittedly, it doesn't answer your specific questions regarding kwerner's setup.

OTC
srvctek
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thin client doesnt even compare to the pap2, the ata was perfect!
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, as i was editing the entire post got lost. please delete this if you want. computer clitches and browser fluffs are frustrating

Last edited by momo on Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:41 am; edited 2 times in total
Stryker
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Thin Client setup... Reply with quote

kwerner wrote:
May I ask why this "worked better" than the PAP2 (assuming you had the PAP2 working before)? Doesn't the thin client need the MJ softphone software to work?

Which thin client are you using? What platform OS?

Finally, there were things I liked about the PAP2 (besides the low power and always on) such as the ability to set whether or not there was voice mail so that phones that have this capability can alert me. It doesn't seem to be a feature of the MJ Softphone.

Did you find the voice quality improved?

Forgive the question but by thin client, were you referring to:

(a) Hardware thin client (basically like a terminal service client)
or
(b) Thin client software accessible via Browser or something like that

Did your thin client require the MJ dongle plugged into the USB jack (I assume yes).

I am using the T520 HP thin client with 1 Ghz processor and 512 ram (might upgrade that myself to 1 Gb later). It uses Windows XP embedded. Prior to this I had the Linksys WRP400 with the built in voip. I had it up and running a month or so and did have sound quality issue as well as drop offs. Both setups were running through comcast cable with 30/8 download and upload testings. The PAP2 is a cleaner setup but so far has not performed as well my T5720. I have talked maybe 2-3 hours long distance and locally with no dropped calls or poor quality sound. I am using the thin client with the dongle so there is no issues with MJ "rejecting or ecm'ing" the dongle. This is just my opinion and others may differ in their experience. Lots about this can be read in the Thin Client forum. Hope this helps answer your question. Not promoting one setup or another but the PAP2 is down and no fix in sight at this point.

Stryker
srvctek
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my client is 800mhz with 512mb ram 4gb ss drive running XPe, calls are a little choppy at times but so far its been running 24/7 for the week ive owned it, the pap2 i had a few months and never dropped a call or any other problems for that matter, sound was always perfect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: