Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
my MJ died. If I get a new one, can I keep my #?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
witelite
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: my MJ died. If I get a new one, can I keep my #?

O.K... here's my problem. I've been a MJ user for a couple years. no problems. (I have a vista). Now... all of a sudden it doesn't work in ANY of my USB ports. is it possible that my MJ has gone to MJ heaven. There is still the beautiful purple light coming thru the unit. When the MJ is pluged into the computer, I click on "computer" to see my drives and there is nothing. The little circle (hourglass on other computers), just keeps going round and round until several minutes later it will say "not responding". When I unplug the MJ, my desk top comes back on immediately. I've tried to put other flash drives in all the USB ports and they all work just fine.

If I get a new MJ, will I be able to keep my same number??? How is this done. Is there a certain proceedure I need to follow??
Phil
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject:

Same story here ... been an MJ user for about two years. A few days ago, everything suddenly started going wacko; MJ crashed every time I'd try to start it up. It would run for about a minute, then crash to the XP operating system error message "MagicJack has encountered a problem and cannot continue; would you like to send an error report to Microsoft; etc"

I spent about three hours in the support chat sessions trying everything the support people could think of, plugging the MJ into two different PCs along the way to rule out any PC-specific problems. (Both PCs were XP + SP2.) Plus, I threw in a couple of suggestions of my own of things we could try, which we did. Nothing worked. At the end of that time, the support people finally concluded there was nothing further they could do and authorized a replacement for me. The replacement is on the way but hasn't arrived yet.

Part of the three hours is explainable; the support people have to try all the easy stuff first (reboot the PC, manually run the update program, plug into a different USB port, etc.). Most of the long duration was simply due to trying to work through the chat window instead of by voice.

The replacement is free, but the shipping/handling charge is $9.95. LOL -- whatever, I don't begrudge them that. I don't have to return the old MJ.

They told me I could keep my phone number; that when the replacement arrived I am *not* to register it through the normal process, but instead should go back into the chat and have them manually switch my number over to the new MJ.

I'm wondering how much of the problem is actually due to the latest upgrade. The MJ's crashes only began in the last three days or so, but I've been getting all sorts of other weirdness since the upgrade (contact list sometimes doesn't download; voicemail password reset itself; etc.)

But assuming the switchover works as the chat person described, the answers to you questions are: yes, you can get a replacement ... yes, you can keep your old number ... procedure is to not activate the MJ but contact them back ... but first you'll need to work with them to rule out all sorts of possible software and non-MJ hardware issues, and that will take some time. Hope this helps,

Phil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: