magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Power adapter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dizzy2
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Power adapter Reply with quote

Where is a good place to get a new power adapter for MJ +.

MJ tells me they will send me a new one if I send the old one back, but that is probably not worth the postage. from Canada .
notdeadyet
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I read here that they will send you a new one for $10 as well, which is probably cheaper than the CDN shipping to US. Or just find one with same specs here to buy as I've read done as well.
kleeb
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Power adapter Reply with quote

Many cell phone chargers have a usb port for the cable to the cell phone. If you have a spare one of those, you may use it for your magicJack. If you don't have a spare, watch for a good price.

I have two mJ+s that overdrew their adapters and I use a cell charger for each.
greenman
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a samsung oem usb home charger from amazon.
They're about 5 bucks, US, usually with free shipping.
Steven W
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I should've started a new topic for this, but it is power adapter related, so...

Okay, my power adapter died tonight, I doubt anyone is shocked. Anyway, I am curious if the MJ "knows" that it is plugged into a computer. Essentially, is there a way to use the computer's USB port just for power, leave the ethernet (CAT 5) pugged into the MJ itself and just use the USB port only for power?
Steven W
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I couldn't figure out any way of using the USB port on the computer for just power. Since this post is about power supplies, I'll point to the one I ordered:

http://www.amazon.com/ADAFRUIT-INDUSTRIES-SUPPLY-ADAPTER-1000mA/dp/B00DLSH1W8/

I probably paid a bit more for than I should have, but if you read that description, you'll note the adapter pumps out 5.25V @ 1 AMP. The idea being that even with a load across it, it should be at 5V. My thought is that this would be less likely to get overdrawn by the MJ and might provide slightly more stable operation too. I just got it and it's working well for now, if I think of it I'll post back in a few months to update.

Last edited by Steven W on Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:51 am; edited 2 times in total
tommc4
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Power Adapter Reply with quote

I use several MJs since we have two lines, and I found that the iSound USB charger works great; it gives you 4 ports at 1A each, and it is rock solid. You can see it at Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EEP926 It is currently selling for about $13 USD[/url]
skoozz
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:15 am    Post subject: new usb wall chargers $2.49 Reply with quote

Upgraded to 2014 MJ back in July 2013. The usb wall charger died in December. I was told they would send me a new one but would have to pay ~$10 for shipping. So instead, I used the previous usb charger from the old MJ and it worked fine until today, March 8, 2014. That's two adapters fried in 8 months with the "new" and "improved" MJ 2014. I had the previous MJ+ for 2 years with no technical/hard ware issues, (other than bad sound quality). Back in Dec 2013 I decided to be pro active and purchased several new usb wall chargers. Glad I did because I was prepared for today's outage. I purchased them for $2.49 each, figured at this price, if it ate one every 6-8 months it would be ok. But, I am hoping these are of better quality (not holding my breath though). Picked them up at Firefold.com here:

http://www.firefold.com/Search.aspx?k=USB+Wall+Charger%2c+White

Also, does anyone know what the flashing middle red light signifies? When MJ 2014 died in Dec they told me, but can't find the notes......
1Blue - 2blue - 3green <--< flash
1Blue - 2red - 3red ----->^
2 & 3 flash to next sequence then back
Steven W
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject: All good with the power supply Reply with quote

I forgot about my posting here regarding until just a few minutes ago. The thing has been going strong since that posting.

I noticed that Adafruit offers a similar product cheaper now:

http://www.adafruit.com/product/501

I'm thinking about ordering a few of those for other devices. I mentioned noise and other issues in another post, haven't had that in a long time. Perhaps firmware updates took care of all that. IDK!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: