magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

+ Problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elrod2
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: + Problems Reply with quote

MJ+ cuts in and out on receiver audio, increased speed on 12 megs on my internet, no help.
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't provided any info re your home LAN setup and how your MJ+ is connected to it for anyone to be able to provide you with a helpful response.
rtoledo2002
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveHC wrote:
You haven't provided any info re your home LAN setup and how your MJ+ is connected to it for anyone to be able to provide you with a helpful response.

Steve I have the same issue, and it seems to be when it fist starts on a new call / conversation and then it mellows out.

do you know what ports it uses? so I can set VOIP QOS on my router?

thanks to anyone that can answer this.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="rtoledo2002"]
SteveHC wrote:

Steve I have the same issue, and it seems to be when it fist starts on a new call / conversation and then it mellows out.

I do NOT recommend messing with port forwarding or triggering; contrary to sometimes "popular" belief, MJ devices automatically open and close the ports they need, and given your description of the problem I doubt that it's even a QoS problem. Given your description of the problem, it *might not* have anything to do with your router. Having said that, here's what I would do TO START if I were you, ASSUMING you're using a MJ+ as a "free-standing" device:

1. Go into your router's web interface and save its *current* settings configuration to a file on your hard drive.

2. Set your router to always assign the same IP addresses to each of the computers and other devices on your LAN (including MJs) all of the time. Set the "leases" of them to last "forever" if possible.

3. IF your router has ANY "pre-defined-by-function-or-program-type" QoS settings (within it QoS section) turned ON, turn them OFF.

3. Set your router to do QoS by either MAC IDs or IP addresses; set the MJ device(s) to highest priority and all other devices to less than highest.

4. Turn off ALL LAN-connected devices and computers EXCEPT for your MJ+. Try placing a call.

Report results here. ALSO, look through your router's settings VERY THOROUGHLY and check to see if there is ANYTHING in there along the lines of "NAT" filtering and/or "SIP ALG(orithim)" - if so, also report the phraseology and the current setting(s).

If the problem persists we'll proceed, but keep in mind that a) every make and model of router is different in these regards, so the diagnostic process for VOIP can often be rather lengthy and time consuming, and b) the problem you describe (audio cutting in and out during the very beginning of a call, then becoming OK) can very well exist within your ISP's connection with the MJ server that your phone number connects with, or even the server itself - and thus MIGHT be beyond your control.
rtoledo2002
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="SteveHC"]
rtoledo2002 wrote:
SteveHC wrote:

I do NOT recommend messing with port forwarding or triggering; contrary to sometimes "popular" belief, MJ devices automatically open and close the ports they need, and given your description of the problem I doubt that it's even a QoS problem. Given your description of the problem, it *might not* have anything to do with your router. Having said that, here's what I would do TO START if I were you, ASSUMING you're using a MJ+ as a "free-standing" device:

1. Go into your router's web interface and save its *current* settings configuration to a file on your hard drive.

2. Set your router to always assign the same IP addresses to each of the computers and other devices on your LAN (including MJs) all of the time. Set the "leases" of them to last "forever" if possible.

3. IF your router has ANY "pre-defined-by-function-or-program-type" QoS settings (within it QoS section) turned ON, turn them OFF.

3. Set your router to do QoS by either MAC IDs or IP addresses; set the MJ device(s) to highest priority and all other devices to less than highest.

4. Turn off ALL LAN-connected devices and computers EXCEPT for your MJ+. Try placing a call.

Report results here. ALSO, look through your router's settings VERY THOROUGHLY and check to see if there is ANYTHING in there along the lines of "NAT" filtering and/or "SIP ALG(orithim)" - if so, also report the phraseology and the current setting(s).

If the problem persists we'll proceed, but keep in mind that a) every make and model of router is different in these regards, so the diagnostic process for VOIP can often be rather lengthy and time consuming, and b) the problem you describe (audio cutting in and out during the very beginning of a call, then becoming OK) can very well exist within your ISP's connection with the MJ server that your phone number connects with, or even the server itself - and thus MIGHT be beyond your control.

2: set leases for 43200 max allowed on Verizon Actiontec MI421wr REV I (latest with ipv6) but problem was before new router too. under the "my network" it shows all devices active or not that have connected to the router and the only one I do not know for sure is the one with Ip192.168.1.10 need to follow up on that and make notes on all machines in this house.

3: up until yesterdy all QOS was set to off , as I have read it causes problems in older Actiontecs Verizon gives out, just now it was turned on for the pre -assigned VONAGE settings which I'm sure are more elaborate then MJ+ 's settings but not sure here is what it's set for

MATCH any of the items below

Vonage VoIP Phone Service - UDP Any -> 53
UDP Any -> 69
UDP Any -> 2400
UDP Any -> 5060-5061
UDP Any -> 10000-20000
DSCP 0x0 Mask 0x2E
Priority 7
this setting is for BOTH in & out of WAN and internal switch network

and then under the column OPERATION it's set for

Priority 7 (Queue 2 - High)
DSCP 0 Mask 0X2E

now the DSCP settings were done by me as a added item to the other default for Vonage

now I read in this forum (I beleive) that regula MJ uses UDP orts that are higher than that since recent times?

please keep in mind I made these changes to see if the problem goes away, but also remember that the problem is random for me, and usually happens when I connect with my work or Verizon and both use VOIP themselves , so it's conceivable it could be on their end too.

I also set up my old syslog app in my machine and pointed the router to log into it, the logging from these routers is less tha good. I sure do miss my old GNATBOX firewall. that thing logged it all!
SteveHC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turning on the pre-defined Vonage QoS and/or its port forwarding/port triggering settings - and any "additions" or modifications to them of your own - will do nothing to improve the functioning of your MJ+, and thus can only complicate matters or possibly even make the problem worse. So disable it/them (assuming you're not using Vonage) and try to stick to my recommended procedures as I stated in my post above.
rtoledo2002
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveHC wrote:
Turning on the pre-defined Vonage QoS and/or its port forwarding/port triggering settings - and any "additions" or modifications to them of your own - will do nothing to improve the functioning of your MJ+, and thus can only complicate matters or possibly even make the problem worse. So disable it/them (assuming you're not using Vonage) and try to stick to my recommended procedures as I stated in my post above.

ok I did all you asked. reset router to factory settings, including the hidden page for UPNP so that it's ON.

my problem is that so far you have not told me what ports the Magic jack PLUS uses ?

right now it's only working plugged INTO the computer , when I set it on standalone with good network cable I get please standby and then after a few seconds ERROR ERROR

so unless someone in this forum acually knows what the PLUS uses it will be hard to set ports open to it

oh and their WEB site under myjack settings seems to be stuck on saying STATIC settings set. and no matter how many times I click the little box that says DHCP to set it back like it was before when it works, it always keeps saying STATIC settings applied in a green box background???

EDIT: problem corrected found a post at dslr that showed a hidden page on the latest firmware .34 of the REV I router and it had UPNP disabled also MAYBE the web site at myjack fixed the static setting back to DHCP

here is the hidden page link incase someone comes asking about Verizon Actiontec REV I and MJ+

http://192.168.1.1/index.cgi?active_page=900

this is for UPNP and

http://192.168.1.1/index.cgi?active_page=6059

this one is for IGMP some folks have issues with this setting and OTHER network apps
SteveHC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but maybe you might want to re-read my original post. The MJ+ automatically tells your router which ports to open & close, and when to do so. THEREFORE, you do not need to manually set your router to do it through its QoS or port forwarding settings.

BTW - 1) This is the first time that you've mentioned that your MJ+ works only when connected to a pc; did THIS problem just start? When you say you've reset the router to factory defaults, do you mean ALL of the modem-router's settings? IF SO, you should know that "factory defaults" does NOT necessarily=VERIZON FiOS's required settings... if your router came with a self-install CD to set it up you MIGHT need to run that program to ensure that all settings are done correctly;

2) Quite frankly, MJ+ works perfectly well with FiOS and the FiOS modem-routers right out of their boxes, at least as initially installed by Verizon... I know, because I know a LOT of people who have *multiple* MJs running off of their FiOS modem-routers, and they work PERFECTLY - and they've never altered their router's settings;

3) The MJ+ does not make use of router-based UPnP, so it *shouldn't* make any difference whether UPnP on your router is disabled or enabled.

Regardless, given everything you've stated, I now suggest the following:

First, with the MJ+ disconnected frrom the router and its a.c. adapter, do whatever you have to do to make CERTAIN that *ALL* of your modem-router's settings are as they were upon the modem-router's original installation.

THEN, connect the un-powered MJ+ to the router via Ethernet cable, THEN connect the MJ+ to its a.c. power source. Wait a minute, then check for proper MJ+ operation: a) check CAREFULLY to see if all 4 of its LEDs are operating properly (the green one being lit pretty continuously, the amber one blinking on & off, the little blue one staying lit continuously, and the little white one blinking on & off); and b) try placing/receiving calls.

FINALLY, if anything about the MJ+ still does not seem to be working properly, go into your online MJ account, start a "live help chat," and a) describe your current set-up and problems to them, b) tell them that you have a dynamic, i.p. address from your ISP but that you can't seem to get the correct setting to remain so in your account (unless Verizon's assigned you a static i.p. address, of course - UNLESS this is no longer a problem, I can't really tell from your most recent post), and c) tell them the make/model of your FiOS router, that you'd like to manually set the ports etc. and ask them what ports the MJ+ currently uses/needs to keep open (MJ occasionally makes changes to the ports that its devices use).

To ME, it *now* sounds like you've apparently done *something* regarding your router settings that has resulted in the MJ+ not being able to establish and/or maintain a proper connection with your router and the Internet when it's connected directly to the router - *possibly* you've inadvertently changed settings pertaining to the router's built-in firewall that's preventing the MJ+ from being able to open & close the necessary ports on its own, or did not set its dhcp settings correctly - so you may need MJ live help to run you through all of the correct settings (if they know them for your make/model of router).

Again, I've never known of anyone with FiOS who's need to alter their router settings to get MJ to work properly... but you may want to do some searches here on *this* website (maybe use FiOS as search term), or on the web in general using Google (maybe using as search phrases "magicJack Plus" - including the quotes - followed by a space, followed by FiOS) to see if anyone out there might know of something that I'm not aware of. Just for the heck of it, I just did a quick search myself and discovered the following site that I suspect might at least point you in the right direction:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/General-Residential-Products-and/magicJack-Plus-plugging-directly-into-Verizon-Wireless-Router/td-p/439517

(the link states "Wireless" but the content actually refers to FiOS)
rtoledo2002
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve for all your great help. it's my fault as I had already posted elsewhere on this forum about the problems.

in this thread all I wanted to do was to improve the "dropped sound" by doing QOS.

after posting in this thread originally, it's when I made many changes that caused more problems leading up to the MJ+ not working in SAM .

all is corrected now, and I will leave the QOS for a later time.

Still even though you continue to repeat your selve. and I have tried ALL you've mentioned it would be "nice" to know "what those" those ports actually are, so as to allow a tinkerer to open said ports FULL TIME and point them to the MJ+ only , thus allowing it to when it goes online and opens them, to allow them to get a better priority in my network.

( BTW.
VoiceWing pre-defined settings in port forwarding in this router are as follows.
UDP 53
UDP 69
UDP 5060-5061
UDP 20000-60000

Vonage settings, are as follows

UDP 53 ------------DNS
UDP 69 ------------TFTP ? upgrades from windows magicjack software?
UDP 2400 ----------old obsolete server port?????
UDP 5060-5061----SIP-TLS also used by portD trojan voip.com nomado
UDP 10000-20000 ---plain old high non assigned port range >1024

so it only seems reasonable that a MJ+ setting might be like a combination of both settings above would get the job done.
)

as for the router, I got it 3 weeks ago, it came with .24 firmware, it had UPNP turned on, last week Verizon forced/pushed the update as they always do, and this new version has issues including having "lost the 2 mentioned setting icons from the "advanced" settings tab.

once I started tinkering, one of the 2 main things I did that caused the MJ+ SAM to fail was to do a factory reset as that put it into the new settings in the .36 firmware.

Verizon is aware of this bug they introduced and they are working on a new release soon.

Most network admins totally hate UPNP including the folks at the FBI due to the potential for hackers to gain access to internal networks.

at my age and being totally broke and upside down with nothing to loose, and having now set my internal network to WPA2 AES only.
as well as separating my personal machine in a separate network behind a Cisco 2610 with advanced security and IPS, I say let the kids and grand kids and the MJ+ have all the UPNP they want!

thanks again for your help, and in case you do *not know* what "those ports" are, maybe you should just say "don't know" Wink

oh did I say the third new bug introduced in the firmware .36 is the logging to my internal syslog server is JUNK and useless ? no wonder I ALSO DON'T KNOW what those EXACT ports are, but not for long.

one more time thank you for your patience with me, consider all 3 separate posts I made on this forum and the MJ+ forum CLOSED as I DO.

oh here are the other 2 posts made in the MJ+ support forum

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/mj-and-networking-t12889.html

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/mj-only-works-in-computer-not-in-standalone-mode-t12894.html

PLEASE DISREGARD THOSE ALSO AS THE WHOLE Enchilada is now cooked. until the next firmware comes out, and I discover the ports to then open in QOS > pointing at the MJ+ it is ok to guess for now.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOW I understand, got it. Re: MJ+ ports: Do a "live help chat" with MJ and ask for the current MJ+ ports - they'll tell you them. Simple as that. Good luck.
19Michael62
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: not a networking techie... regretting paying for 5 yrs svc Reply with quote

The technical help people are terrible. The average consumer who doesn't know a port from a port a potty should not have to deal with all this aggravation... sorry, just venting, but I am about to throw my MJ+ away and go back to Ma Bell.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: not a networking techie... regretting paying for 5 yrs s Reply with quote

19Michael62 wrote:
The technical help people are terrible. The average consumer who doesn't know a port from a port a potty should not have to deal with all this aggravation... sorry, just venting, but I am about to throw my MJ+ away and go back to Ma Bell.

- If you're having trouble with your MJ and can't seem to resolve the problem, I suggest you try OOMA... the upfront hardware cost is higher and their per-month cost is a bit higher than MJ'S BUT they offer a 1 month money-back guarantee, their hardware is more robust and therefor less troublesome, their customer and tech support is very good, and if you keep it for at least 7 months you'll still be saving money over traditional "POTS" landline service (the longer you keep it beyond 7 months the more you'll save).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: