magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

QoS for MJ+ and TP-Link modem/router?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mh1983
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: QoS for MJ+ and TP-Link modem/router? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've had the MJ+ since 2012 and generally it's worked fine. However, something that's always bugged me is the slight static/choppiness that occurs when one person in the house is using a phone connected to MJ+ and another is using a computer. Our net connection is 6 mbps DSL so should be capable enough of handling both activities.

Lately, I've been tinkering with QoS settings in our router settings (TP-Link W8961ND with latest firmware). Here's a KB article I referred to for settings:

http://www.tp-link.us/article/?faqid=539

After putting in these settings, rebooting, and testing calls, calls are even choppier -- seems like a step backwards. But the diagram shows a separate ATA device (which I guess the MJ+ technically is), so I'm wondering if these settings just don't play well with the MJ+.

Any suggestions for other settings I may be able to try? I'm inclined to toast QoS and go back to the standard bandwidth routing, but thought I'd defer to the MJ community before I make that decision.

Thanks in advance!
mh1983
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone?

We also get the odd dropped call -- I haven't plugged the MJ+ into a USB port (and thus receive a firmware update) since early 2012, and even then I believe I downgraded because the update was causing issues. There seems to be a 2014 update; I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to take the plunge and upgrade?
notdeadyet
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had a problem in 6 years with upgrading my MJ's, and if there's an upgrade, there's usually a good reason for it.

As for your QOS link, that makes no sense to me personally....I just set the settings in my router (Tomato 1.2Cool to work with the MJ device plugged into it or the computer. I've also been using the Hawkins Broadband booster for over 4 years now as suggested, and my system has always worked great! Can't really attest to the fact the HBB1 makes a big difference, but since the MJ is working great for me since I got it, why change it (wasn't really that bad before I got it, but had too many other computers on the same line). Here's one link that may help you:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/MagicJack/Support_Resources/How-To/QoS

you may also want to do a search here on QOS, as there has been alot of discussion it thru the years Wink

My suggestion is to try a different router...not all routers work with MJ's as well as others do...and if you get one you can reload Tomato firmware on, you will be able to adjust the QOS settings within! I use the Linksys WRT54G/GS/GL myself...lots on eBay! Good Luck!!
mh1983
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate your help, notdeadyet!
notdeadyet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no problem Smile BTW, if you do look for a router like mine, only V1-4 will work with Tomato...there's a list of routers on this page, along with more Tomato info: http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi notdeadyet

I have a WRT54G v8 but didn't find a Tomato firmware for it.
There's a OpenWRT firmware, seeing it recently on that forum...
but I remember looking for Tomato several years ago and didn't see it on that Tomato site.

Is this a new addition to their list? ..or is the v8 still not supported?
notdeadyet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Momo, I think you misread my post above...I say that ONLY V1-4 will work, so not sure why you thought I said V8 would Wink
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notdeadyet wrote:
Momo, I think you misread my post above...I say that ONLY V1-4 will work, so not sure why you thought I said V8 would Wink

Very Happy Rolling Eyes

Sorry, I was just looking at your Dec 16th post, didn't look further at the Dec 17th one, mentioning that, and pressed the reply key too soon. Embarassed

If you're familiar with OpenWRT...
What's your opinion on the OpenWRT firmware, in general?
Unless you know about the exact one for the WRT54G
notdeadyet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, only ever dealt with Tomato...found it a bit more user friendly in the beginning and found no reason to change Smile
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notdeadyet wrote:
sorry, only ever dealt with Tomato...found it a bit more user friendly in the beginning and found no reason to change Smile

OK Smile Cool

Sorry again for 'jumping the gun' with the reply button.

I guess I got excited seeing Tomato mentioned for the WRT54G ...
...scrolled-down to the reply button instead...
...and didn't see your second post. Laughing

I need a vacation... Rolling Eyes Razz
Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: