magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about MagicJack software, advertisements, + popups

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hbgb
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Question about MagicJack software, advertisements, + popups Reply with quote

I heard of MagicJack a few weeks ago from a TV infomercial and wanted to see what all this is about. I'm very tempted to buy one, and have a few questions that I have not yet found answers to.

1) Does the MagicJack software pop-up every time you make/receive a call? I saw the blog post about a Pearl script to stop this, and was wondering if there is another non-techie way. I can make calls from the cordless phone without using the software, right?

2) I saw the section on advertisements in MagicJack's terms of service. It's a dirt cheap service, so I don't mind ads necessary, but am wondering how large/of what content they are. Any observations about this?

--
"11. Advertisements

You also understand and agree that use of the magicJack device and Software will include advertisements and that these advertisements are necessary for the magicJack device to work and for the service to be free in the first year of the agreement (and subsequent licenses to be at minimal cost). Advertisements will be served through the magicPage� Software. magicPage� Software attempts to serve local advertisements and classifieds using a completely automated process that enables us to effectively target dynamically changing content. Our computers may analyze the phone numbers you call in order to improve the relevance of the ads. We do not provide any personal information to our advertisers or third parties. magicJack has a policy of restricting advertisers that it believes are inappropriate, but it does not guarantee the accuracy or integrity of any advertisers and does not endorse any of the advertisements that may appear in connection with use of the magicJack device. You also understand and agree that use of the magicJack device and Software may include certain communications, such as service announcements, administrative messages and newsletters, and you will not be able to opt out of receiving them.
"
Xen1969
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can make calls from a cordless (or corded) phone. That is what I do. The software does pop-up every time you make/receive a call. I really don't find it that annoying. Worth the money saved.

There is an option to choose a big or small softphone on your screen.
hbgb
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the reply. I'm glad to hear that there's the option of a small softphone and that you don't have to sit at the computer to make a call. Is the small softphone tolerable with the amount of advertisements it shows? (Are there actually advertisements yet, or did MagicJack's Terms of Service just include the ad info just in case they ever want to insert ads?)
Pismire
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only ads I have seen so far are for MJ itself and their international calling. Takes up about a quarter of the left side. I can live with it.
Xen1969
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now its used to deliver information on the MagicJack.

How to set up voicemail, the fact that international calling is available now, another was for MagicFix, etc
gooney
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you run MJ as a service, you will see no popups.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hbgb,

Content - I would not be very concerned about the advertisement content when and if they do start putting advertisements on the Pop-up. I am very sure they will limit it to "Family" acceptable material considering that is the source of their bread and butter.

There are currently a couple of ways to hide the Pop-up softphone at the moment but as we keep revealing them here I am sure they will implement measures to defeat our best efforts. At the price they are charging for the service if they don't include advertisements I don't see how they could stay in business.

One last comment - for $39 buckaroos my advise would be give it a try. At that price it is not like you are depleting the kids inheritance or anything and I can almost guarantee you will be please with the unit and the service. You have 30 days to return it if you don't like it.

No I don't work for MagicJack. Wink
johnatnro
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: OK By Me Reply with quote

The pop-ups are small and not a big problem. In fact, yesterday I found out about the brief outage from the message from Dan that popped up. Very helpful.

A little advertising in the pop-ups is fine, after all, someone has to pay the bills, and for what we are paying for MJ, we can't complain.
tec32211
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Pop ups. Reply with quote

Hi everyone can someone tell me how and what to run MJ as a service??? I would like to stop the pop up soft screen phone,Because I use It with a cordless phone and I have no problems so far...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: