magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Review after 24 hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bgalcostumes.com
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Review after 24 hours Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Well, I have to say I LOVE LOVE the MJ! Here has been my experience thus far.

Right out of the box, I plugged in the MJ into my front USB port on my HP Pavilion computer. I have Windows Vista (which I HATE, by the way). Before I even installed it, there was a dial tone when I plugged in my cordless phone. I didn't attempt to dial out.

My Windows Explorer screen popped up, showing me the autorun.exe file, but it said DO NOT USE THIS DRIVE but indicated I should use the link found in the disc drive folder. I did that, had to double click on autorun to get it to start up. Opened no problem. I put in my info to get my phone number. It said there was an error 400 (I believe that was a number) and to try again. I left to get a cup of coffee before I figured I'd have to settle in to figure it all out, and when I came back, there was a phone number in there!

I immediately called my husband on his cell. The number popped up on his caller ID. Perfect clarity. Maybe a SLIGHT echo to the tone, but volume was good, no breakups. He called me back, no problem. Caller ID worked. I set up the voicemail in about two minutes. I called it from my cell phone and left a message. LOVE the softphone feature, and I also received an email about 10 seconds after I left the message indicating I had a VM. Awesome!

This morning, I tried using my Brother fax machine. Did run into some problems there. The fax would go halfway through and then disconnect. I tried sending myself a fax using Free Fax, and I received the fax without problems, though my fax machine indicated at the end that reception had failed, so I think it lost connection just after I received the last page of the fax. I believe I can work around this problem by using online fax services, but I'll have to work with that some more. It's possible I may still be able to use my Brother machine - perhaps I just need to change some settings. I need a new printer and was considering an all-in-one printer/fax/scan/copier. Perhaps a more updated model that would allow me more advanced fax settings might do a better job with the MJ.

All in all, I am HIGHLY impressed with the MJ so far! We plan to use it for the next 4-6 weeks to make sure we don't experience anything major, but if it continues to work as it does now, I'm planning to tell Verizon to GO BLOW! Hello extra $650.00+ per year!

By the way, for those bitching about being charged up front when you're supposed to get the 30-day trial? I wasn't, but if you aren't paying attention and READING the screens as you go through the order process, you could certainly be charged. I'm sorry, but it couldn't have been much clearer. If you choose the upgraded shipping (which is a joke even at $3.99 - I got mine in four days with regular shipping), then they charge you right away. If you upgrade to get the extra two years of service, they charge you right away. If you do ANYTHING other than buy ONE Magic Jack with standard shipping, you will NOT get the 30-day-no-pay feature. On the last screen, they even showed me the date I would be charged - 7/28/08. It showed it in two places. Sure enough, I haven't seen any charge on my card. Just a little common sense, and you WILL get the free trial.

I'll report back if I have any issues.

LONG LIVE MJ!

Rene'
BGALCOSTUMES.COM
caudill22
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree with you any more, the screens clearly told me that I would be charged right away if I selected certain options during the order process. Unlike you, I did opt for the upgraded shipping (ordered Sunday, received Tuesday) and was completely aware that I would be charged right away. Frankly, I didn't care. Being the tech geek that I am I knew I would keep the toy and play around with it and was willing to spend $40 for the new gadget. If you are the type of person that would return the item, then I suggest that you read the instructions on the screen carefully so that you do not get billed for 30 days.

So far I have nothing bad to say about magicJack, clear calls and a steal at $20 a year!
booyah5
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the MJ website tries to trick you into waiving the trial. This one is the funniest:

There is no upside to waiving the trial, but if you weren't paying attention, you could waive it easy. It's a hustle - not fraud, and I didn't buy into it either, and I have yet to be charged too. It wouldn't surprise me if everyone who is out there on the net bitching and moaning simply got fooled. Laughing
tloe
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're better off buying the MJ from QVC.com; it's not only cheaper, but if it doesn't work at least you can talk to a rep when sending it back. I like the MJ but not their sleazy sales tactics.
booyah5
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I bought my mom an MJ from QVC after I got mine.
skidmore8
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Review Reply with quote

Saw the add for the MJ and originaly ignored it, then I had to move without my family and only had a cell phone for calls. I hate using a cell phone for more than a short call. Anyway I had an email about MJ and decided to give it a try. I ordered it and then I thought "nuts I should have read the reviews first!".
So I read the reviews and was resiged to the fact that I thru my money away because of all the so called problems with the MJ and the free trial. When I ordered it I did not go for the extra shipping charges and did not expect to see it for two weeks. Well after four days it arrived! I had a little dificulty with the regerstration process, mostly because I was too much in a hurry. Anyway when I got through that I had a phone number and a wonderful device. [b]It works great!!! Worth every penny! [/b] Buy one, read carefully, set it up and enjoy. IT WORKS!!! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: