magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Revised MagicJack.com main page Crashes my FFox 1.5 Browser

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagicJake
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Revised MagicJack.com main page Crashes my FFox 1.5 Browser Reply with quote

I see that MagicJack has totally revised the http://magicjack.com main page. When I try to access it, the page starts to come up, then permanently locks my browser. I'm using Firefox 1.5 'noscript' extension.

Normally I get the option to permit the javascript with 'noscript' but with magicjack.com page the browser totally crashes.

I stll seem to be able to access the portal http://my.magicjack.com .

Anyone else having problems?
AlaninKY
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

upgrade your Firefox to version 2.0.0.11
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MagicJake
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlaninKY wrote:

Maybe that would work. I've resisted upgrading so far because a couple of my extensions aren't yet available for version 2.xxxx

I do have an installation of 2.0.0.3 on my system and I just tried it. Same problem with Firefox 2.0.0.3.

Is 2.0.0.11 working for you AlaninKY ?

Maybe it's my 'noscript' extension involving the javascript. Normally it works fine though.
dbarber
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works fine here with Firefox 2.0.0.11 and NoScript 1.19. I had to allow www.magicjack.com in NoScript, but other than that, there were no problems.
OldNuc
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest Firefox nightly works fine here. Upgrade....
MagicJake
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all....

Idid some more testing and it's working with 2.0.0.11 on my winXP box. I see that the crash is only with FFox on my Linux box. Running Kanotix. Strange; FFox on Linux box works fine with most other sites. Oh well; no biggie since I can still use the portal.
AlaninKY
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MagicJake wrote:
AlaninKY wrote:

Maybe that would work. I've resisted upgrading so far because a couple of my extensions aren't yet available for version 2.xxxx

I do have an installation of 2.0.0.3 on my system and I just tried it. Same problem with Firefox 2.0.0.3.

Is 2.0.0.11 working for you AlaninKY ?

Maybe it's my 'noscript' extension involving the javascript. Normally it works fine though.

2.0.0.11 is working for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MagicJake
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update. I did now try FFox 2.0.0.11 (latest version) on the Linux box (Kanotix) and it still locks up tight as a drum, including all other open tabs. I have to shut down the browser completely and then re-open it. Maybe one of the 15 extensions I am using hahaha. Or maybe FFox 2.0.0.11 for Linux has a difference from the windows version. I did update all the extensions to the lates versions too. Works fine with most all other sites. As I said, no biggie. Thanks again to all.
OldNuc
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MagicJake
Do you have the latest version of Java loaded and is it the default. Did you also link the latest plugin to FireFox?
MagicJake
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldNuc wrote:
MagicJake
Do you have the latest version of Java loaded and is it the default. Did you also link the latest plugin to FireFox?

Thanks OldNuc. You may be on to something here. I'm not sure how to know which version of Java is on the linux machine itself. How can I check? I think I have to do it manually from the console. As far as the Firefox Java plugin; if I type "about:plugins" without the quotes in the browser url field in my firefox 1.5 I get the following java plugin information pasted below for my browser java plugin installation. As I said I did try the FFox 2.0.0.11 but I did that by unziping the tarball in a folder and executing the script to start the latest FFox. In this case the Java Plugin may not have been loaded. It's a little more complicated with Linux so I'm always hesitant to make changes for fear of breaking something. I have to manually find the right directories etc. Also, I have to use Flash 7 rather than 9 because of bugs in the later linux flash versions. Although some people can get the later flash to work with linux I spoke with Adobe who now owns flash and they said that it was a known issue but had no date for resolving this. Should I be changing something with my Java? I guess it would be a good idea to update my Java both for executibles and for the firefox plugin but I'm unsure how to proceed.

Java(TM) Plug-in 1.4.2_10-b03

File name: libjavaplugin_oji.so
Java(TM) Plug-in 1.4.2_10

MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
application/x-java-vm Java Yes
application/x-java-applet Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.1 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.2 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.3 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.2 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.1 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.2 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.3 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.3.1 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.4 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.1 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.2 Java Yes
application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.4.2_10 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.1 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.2 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.3 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.2 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.2.1 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.2.2 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.3 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.3.1 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.4 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.4.1 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.4.2 Java Yes
application/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.4.2_10 Java Yes
OldNuc
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that you are using the 1.4.2 plugin and it usually will not play well with others. Updating java and linking to the plugin, it REQURES a symbolic link or you will also have crashes is distro dependent, is described on the Sun site but that is not the best way to do it. Which flavor of Linux are you running? Ususally you can go to the Firefox forum and find the specific java upgrade instructions for your distro. You are correct, this is not a trivial task until you have it working again.
FireFox Forum
MagicJake
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldNuc wrote:
It appears that you are using the 1.4.2 plugin and it usually will not play well with others. Updating java and linking to the plugin, it REQURES a symbolic link or you will also have crashes is distro dependent, is described on the Sun site but that is not the best way to do it. Which flavor of Linux are you running?

I'm running Kanotix. Sometimes I'm a little overwhelmed with trying to upgrade anything though. If there's an easy way to do it I may try but otherwise I usually don't fix it unless it's REALLY broken. I don't even know what a symbolic link is Rolling Eyes . Unfortunately over time I'll probably start finding more and more sites that don't work unless I upgrade. A while ago I tried to run a java application (not in the browser) and I couldn't figure out how to get it to work. Other than that I do very much like Linux though and I don't have any problems with spyware and adware and virus' compared to running Windows.
OldNuc
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were me, I would go to Distrowatch and then the page thy have for your distro and hope the is a user forum listed there. A symbolic link is something like a shortcut to a file in another directory. Each distro is different due to the way the GUI handles the update process. You can go to the site for the root distro that yours is derived from and the update process is usually documented. Not much will function with Java 1.4.2 any more, might as well do the upgrade. The command lines for the fIREfOX PLUGIN ARE ON THE FF forum, but you will have to change the directories and there is another command to set the latest Java as the OS default that has to be run. Both are in the same post on the FF forum. I don't have the link at hand or I would post it. I think I found it by searching for "Java and Ubuntu". It was not as hard as it sounds.
MagicJake
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldNuc wrote:
It was not as hard as it sounds.

Thanks very much OldNuc. I think what I'll do is eventually install a whole new distro on my system. They're always improving everything and it's been more than two years that I've been using this one so I'd get many benefits including the updated java. As time goes by I'm hoping that Linux will become more automated for upgrades such as the one we've been discussing. I've been running Linux for over five years and it's coming along nicely. Truely amazing. Do you have a favorite distro? Ubuntu?
OldNuc
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest Ubuntu works well, but the Java update did require use of the secret handshake to get it set as the default and link the FireFox plugin. The good news is it did not take forevr to find the info.
MagicJake
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'll look at Ubuntu when I do a fresh install.
Thanks so much OldNuc. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: