magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Router Tips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffnyc
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Router Tips Reply with quote

Since we were getting a bit off topic in the spoof thread I figured I'd start a new one just dealing with router.

I just installed dd-wrt
Router Model Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS
Firmware VersionDD-WRT v23 SP2 (09/15/06) std - build 3932

First: How do I assign a static ip address to my pc and ata ?

My PAP2 gets 192.168.1.111 by dhcp

even though I set up
DNS 1
DNS 2

I am obviously not too sure what I am doing.
candlebox1369
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Administrations->Services->DHCP Server

Use ipconfig /all to get your mac address. The host entry is just a nickname.

I think you have to add one entry at a time, then save the settings... Long time ago I remember having trouble adding multiple static ip assignments then saving it, but maybe it was a different build. No biggie in either case - looks like you only need two entries.
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So can we spoof the caller ID with a router that has the VOIP version of DD-WRT...if so how?
Kumar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SpamBox

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kumar wrote:
So can we spoof the caller ID with a router that has the VOIP version of DD-WRT...if so how?

Never even tried the VOIP yet. The standard has always just worked fine.
Are you able to get your ATA up and running again yet?
SpamBox

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Router Tips Reply with quote

jeffnyc wrote:

Do you know how to set your pc to a static ip?
If not, what's your os?
jeffnyc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Router Tips Reply with quote

SpamBox wrote:
jeffnyc wrote:

Do you know how to set your pc to a static ip?
If not, what's your os?

XP. Should I set it on my pc or just let the router handle it?
candlebox1369
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Router Tips Reply with quote

jeffnyc wrote:
XP. Should I set it on my pc or just let the router handle it?

The router for sure
(Especially if its a laptop because else you'll have to reconfigure your tcp/ip settings each place you go).

I just forgot to mention that after you add the entry in the router, open the command prompt and type:
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

so that you get the static ip from the router. you could also restart the pc, but this way is faster.
laserjobs
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you can right click on the internet connection and hit "repair" to renew the IP and clean the cache.
jeffnyc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and just to be sure - the static ip field in the ata should be blank?
candlebox1369
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffnyc wrote:
and just to be sure - the static ip field in the ata should be blank?

i'm not sure which ata you have or how the config looks so it depends. but you basically shouldn't have a static ip assignment on any device which you want the router to give an ip to. you would set the dhcp on so that it receives it from the router.

but if you're able to make it static on the ata, that should be okay too. just make sure it's not one that is part of the dhcp from the router (192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.149 by deault) because if another device on your network gets the same ip there will be a conflict.

so whichever way you decide to make it static, whether on the router or ata, you should use 192.168.1.150 or above.
once you got that squared away, don't forget to forward udp port 5060 to the ata, and enable qos
jeffnyc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is this correct?

I am assuming I can leave App name blank. The ip is that of my pap2t. If I use the spoofer should I change it to the ip of the spoofer?

Now that i got out of the way... could you help me out with the QOS part?
SpamBox

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffnyc wrote:
So is this correct?
I am assuming I can leave App name blank. The ip is that of my pap2t. If I use the spoofer should I change it to the ip of the spoofer?

I've never tried leaving it blank.
i've always just named it - such as when I had Vonage. I called it "Vonage". Pretty straight forward.
I also think MJ likes to use 5070 UDP to communicate so you might want to put that in too.

Now in QOS
Depends on if you want to give priority to a service or to an MAC or even a Ethernet Port.

When I used Vonage & an ATA I used MAC priority.
Pretty straight forward, just type in the address, click "Add"
Then set priority (Recommend "Premium") in the drop-down box
Be sure you click "Save Settings" after each change.
If MJ ever allows us to BYOD - this is the route I would go.

I would probably just to be sure, also go to the Ethernet port priority part and give the ATA's ethernet port top priority (Premium)

Currently the way MJ works by being connecting to a USB port we can only do the "Services Priority" method:
a little more complicated...
Click "Add/Edit Service"
brings up a new window
1) Type in a name in the "Service Name" block (I used "MagicJack 5060-5061" )
2) under "Protocol" change it "UDP"
3) under "Port Range" type in 5060 in first box, and 5061 in second box
4) then click "Add"
Repeat step 1 but for UDP port 5070 (I called it MagicJack 5070)
then click "Save Settings"
it'll take you back to the QOS screen
Go to Services Priority again
now under the "Add" drop-down box choose the new service you just created (i.e. MagicJack 5060-5061)
click "Add"
screen should refresh itself and show the new service, where you can select level of priority.
i think you can take it from there.
Again don't forgot to "Save Settings" at the bottom of the QOS after each change.
Then once finished, I usually go to the "Administration" tab go to the bottom "Reboot Router"
candlebox1369
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffnyc wrote:
So is this correct?

Like SpamBox says, i've never left it blank although i think you can, but it's prob better to add a descriptive name.

In regards to the spoofer, i think in the ata where you would put proxy1.nashville.talk4free.com you would instead put the ip of the computer running the spoofer (which you've made static already i think). then in the spoofer, you need to change the ip of magicjack from 127.0.0.1 to that of the ATA.

For QoS, seems like SpamBox covered that for you... but i have some questions about that...

SpamBox wrote:
I also think MJ likes to use 5070 UDP to communicate so you might want to put that in too.

1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's 5060-5061 UDP going in, and 5070 going out. Is it necessary to specifiy both incoming and outgoing in the router, or just incoming?
2. Which port numbers does one not need to forward... for example web servers (usually 80) connect to one's machine on random ports... obviously no forwarding there. Is it above a certain number or does someone know how that works?
3. How did magicJack connect without the ports being opened on the router???
SpamBox

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

candlebox1369 wrote:

1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's 5060-5061 UDP going in, and 5070 going out. Is it necessary to specifiy both incoming and outgoing in the router, or just incoming?
2. Which port numbers does one not need to forward... for example web servers (usually 80) connect to one's machine on random ports... obviously no forwarding there. Is it above a certain number or does someone know how that works?
3. How did magicJack connect without the ports being opened on the router???

When I didn't have 5060-5061 & 5070 forwarded & QOS Premium priority - MJ sometimes didn't work or was very broken/choppy
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Port Forwarding Help Reply with quote

This may be helpful for some:

Port Forwarding, Free Help setting up your Router: http://portforward.com/routers.htm
Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_forwarding
SpamBox

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Port Forwarding Help Reply with quote

testing123 wrote:
This may be helpful for some:

Port Forwarding, Free Help setting up your Router: http://portforward.com/routers.htm
Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_forwarding

Good links! I forgot about those. They are very helpful.
candlebox1369
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm still curious though...

does anyone know how magicJack, when plugged into the USB port, connects on different ports without them being forwarded on the router, and even works with multiple magicJacks in the same LAN?

Forgot to mention: I have UPnP off.
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candlebox1369 wrote:
i'm still curious though...

does anyone know how magicJack, when plugged into the USB port, connects on different ports without them being forwarded on the router, and even works with multiple magicJacks in the same LAN?

Forgot to mention: I have UPnP off.

I am not an expert but check these out - they should give some helpful background:
NAT Traversal: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAT_traversal
Session Border Controller: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Session_Border_Controller

(This should also be a wakeup call that a BAD app can do a LOT of damage by discovering stuff about your network ... i.e., it already knows its internal IP, it knows the path to DNS, Router, etc. AND it can determine your "real" IP http://www.whatismyip.com, for example. Add to that now the "ip geolocation" that can then be used to determine where YOUR internet connection is located, the possibilities are endless ... for advertising purposes, performance purposes, etc. This is why you now see some Web sites that have Ads referencing YOUR specific city, i.e., "meet girls in <your city>" Rolling Eyes .)

Honestly, one thing I think MJ does well IS establishing connections w/o UPnP or Port Forwarding etc. etc. -- I have been able to run multiple MJs ON THE SAME PC simultaneously. And, I run a Firewall that is RIDICULOUSLY strict (i.e., all Outbound AND Inbound connections have to be explicitly defined/allowed).

Hopefully, MJ (and other tools we use), use their powers for Good ... and not for Evil.
jeffnyc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats funny is that ip location correctly named by city - new york but when i plugged in to mapquest latitde and longitude locator it put me in uzbekistan... Very Happy
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffnyc wrote:
whats funny is that ip location correctly named by city - new york but when i plugged in to mapquest latitde and longitude locator it put me in uzbekistan... Very Happy

Smile Did you include the "-"? If there, the "-" is significant and needed.
SpamBox

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffnyc wrote:

Isn't that Borat country LOL you guys neighbors? Laughing
jeffnyc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

testing123 wrote:
jeffnyc wrote:

Smile Did you include the "-"? If there, the "-" is significant and needed.

that was it...lol

targeted my exact location within a few miltes....
jeffnyc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ever since i've upgraded to dd-wrt my internet keeps going out.... i had to reset my router and lost all my settings Sad
joecanadian
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

google for tomato for the wrt54gl wrt54gs v1-4

I been playing with it its pretty sweet and if I want to go back to openwrt I can at any time and before I do I can get a output of my iptables for the firewall.. (NICE!)
jeffnyc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

switched back to tomato, was having internet issues and blamed it on dd-wrt but it was roadrunner

anyway, any tomato tips would be appreciated Smile no saucy jokes please
candlebox1369
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffnyc wrote:
ever since i've upgraded to dd-wrt my internet keeps going out.... i had to reset my router and lost all my settings Sad

usually when upgrading, to have a stable router, one needs to reset the router, upgrade, then reset again, then change your configuration & then save a backup

if everything is working fine except for your wan connection, then it can be the modem. turn off both, then turn on modem, then the router.
for some internet providers, if you have to clone a certain mac address in your router, it's good to back that up before resetting the router... otherwise one may have to wait until the ip lease time is up and the current mac gets the next ip.
MagicJake
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: DD-WRT Reply with quote

I'm getting ready to flash a wrts54g v4 (that's the "s" Linksys speedbooster model) with DD-WRT firmware.

Does anyone know what would be the benefits if any to use the "VOIP" version offered by DD-WRT rather than the Standard full version. I've read that you're supposed to flash the "mini" version first for some technical reason but I'm wondering which to use after that. Thanks.
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: DD-WRT Reply with quote

MagicJake wrote:
I'm getting ready to flash a wrts54g v4 (that's the "s" Linksys speedbooster model) with DD-WRT firmware.

Does anyone know what would be the benefits if any to use the "VOIP" version offered by DD-WRT rather than the Standard full version. I've read that you're supposed to flash the "mini" version first for some technical reason but I'm wondering which to use after that. Thanks.

Yea I was wondering the same thing. I also want to switch to DD-WRT, but don't know if i should get the VOIP version or not. Also, the technical reason you have to get the mini/micro version is that there is not as much flash memory. I have a version 8 WRT54G and am debating on which version to get....regular or VOIP.
Help appreciated
Thanks
Kumar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
candlebox1369
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: DD-WRT Reply with quote

kumar wrote:
MagicJake wrote:

Yea I was wondering the same thing. I also want to switch to DD-WRT, but don't know if i should get the VOIP version or not. Also, the technical reason you have to get the mini/micro version is that there is not as much flash memory. I have a version 8 WRT54G and am debating on which version to get....regular or VOIP.
Help appreciated
Thanks
Kumar

Well this is what dd-wrt voip version offers:
Seems like you would also have to check out these two links in the overview (third one goes to dd-wrt):
Sip at Home
SIP Express Router

-------------------------------

You guys are talking about two different things... in the flashing instructions, it says to first flash to mini, then the version you want because a few of the linksys routers (running the stock oem firmware) check the file size of the firmware, and if too big, will give an error message. So you flash with mini to get around that. If yours doesn't check, this really isn't necessary.

In regards to the 2MB flash routers, they can only run micro, but which is still better than the oem. For these it's a bit more work (vxworks killer, using tftp, etc), but i've done it before, it's not that bad.
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post, looks like I don't need the VOIP version, I think I should be fine with normal....Right? Just running Magicjack, nothing else really.
Thanks
kumar
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: DD-WRT Reply with quote

candlebox1369 wrote:
kumar wrote:
MagicJake wrote:
I'm getting ready to flash a wrts54g v4 ...

... I have a version 8 WRT54G and am debating on which version to get....regular or VOIP.
Help appreciated
Thanks
Kumar

Well this is what dd-wrt voip version offers:
Seems like you would also have to check out these two links in the overview (third one goes to dd-wrt):
Sip at Home
SIP Express Router

-------------------------------

You guys are talking about two different things... in the flashing instructions, it says to first flash to mini, then the version you want because a few of the linksys routers (running the stock oem firmware) check the file size of the firmware, and if too big, will give an error message. So you flash with mini to get around that. If yours doesn't check, this really isn't necessary.

In regards to the 2MB flash routers, they can only run micro, but which is still better than the oem. For these it's a bit more work (vxworks killer, using tftp, etc), but i've done it before, it's not that bad.

And, you can get the older version Routers which have MORE Flash memory on ebay quite easily ... have bought a bunch this way. You can key off of first chars of Serial# to determine RAM size.
candlebox1369
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

np... standard is best for most...
jeffnyc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say I have two voip providers on my ata however my ata doesnt have the ability to access both lines using a single line phone.

(This functionality is in the spa1001 and possibly other spa routers but not the pap2t and the pap2t cant be flashed to spa1001 firmware like the pap2v1. I've posted on DSL Reports about the cfwd field but that does not work either)

People have suggested using something like asterisk but thats a little overkill just to get this simple functionality. So I was wondering if upgrading to the voip version of dd-wrt would be able to accomplish this?
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: DD-WRT Reply with quote

testing123 wrote:
And, you can get the older version Routers which have MORE Flash memory on ebay quite easily ... have bought a bunch this way. You can key off of first chars of Serial# to determine RAM size.

Well, I got the WRT54G for $15 brand new, at this point I don't really care about the flash. What features am i losing in the micro version?
Thanks
Kumar
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: DD-WRT Reply with quote

kumar wrote:
testing123 wrote:

Well, I got the WRT54G for $15 brand new, at this point I don't really care about the flash. What features am i losing in the micro version?
Thanks
Kumar

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/What_is_%22DD-WRT%22%3F#File_Versions
MagicJake
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help everyone. And that makes sense as to why to flash the mini first. My wrts54g v4 does have enough memory to hold the full version so I will of course use that. It sounds like the voip full version is for users that have many phones behind their router; so I'll just go with the standard full version.
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just instllaed the micro version on my v8 and it is working fine for me, BUT my sister is complaining about it disconnecting every few hours. Any ideas what good be wrong? I also noticed that her network speed is only 12mbps and not a full 54MBPS. I would appreciate if someone could help me because I don't wanna go back to the old linksys stock firmware....but my older sister yells at me every few hours.
Thanks!
Kumar
candlebox1369
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kumar wrote:
I just instllaed the micro version on my v8 and it is working fine for me, BUT my sister is complaining about it disconnecting every few hours. Any ideas what good be wrong?
Kumar

Did you do anything differently when upgrading firmware on hers? I have upgraded a couple of linksys routers (v6 I think) with micro and they seemed okay. What version did you install? I know v23 sp2 supports v6. Is that what you used or did you use v24? If it's currently not running v24 and not working then i suppose trying v24 rc6 can't hurt. But before you do that, when it goes down, maybe you want to check the status page and see if it's not getting the IP from the modem, or trying to connect directly with the modem to see that it is in fact the router.

kumar wrote:
I also noticed that her network speed is only 12mbps and not a full 54MBPS. I would appreciate if someone could help me because I don't wanna go back to the old linksys stock firmware....Kumar

Her bandwidth on her wireless card depends on how far away she is from the AP and her card. The farther away she is, the lower it'll be. If she has an 802.11b card, it may be 22Mbps or max or so. But in any case, this should only affect her performance within the LAN, and not the WAN as 12Mbps should be plenty for that, if not more than what the actual link is on the modem. Or do I have this all wrong and she's connected with an ethernet cable and at 12Mbps?

As far as going back to linksys firmware on the vxworks routers, if i remember correctly, you either can't or it's a similar process as upgrading... i guess that's why i'm not very fond of these routers... so i just got the old model ones off ebay Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: