magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

running Magicjack on a busy server

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trebuin
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: running Magicjack on a busy server Reply with quote

I chose to install magicjack on my server as it's the only non-movable computer I have. I found that the system was horrible for magic jack so I had to make a few changes using the tips provided on this site. Here's the major effects on the magicjack:

1) Azureus - starves the bandwidth leading to choppy calls
2) Encoding - starves CPU leading to total magicjack silence
3) I live in Japan - Magicjack does not like any delay
4) Wireless connection to WAN

To solve #3, I pinged a few of the proxy servers to see which location was the closest and then used calleridspoof to change the proxy to LA. This gave me 23 hops as opposed to 35. This helped my quality quite a bit. I set calleridspoof to load on boot, though I don't think that may be necessary.

To solver #2, I tried setting magicjack up as a service and that worked to some degree, but it would still panic if I did any encoding. I ended up searching for other programs that would force a higher priority and ran across "Servicemill" and "Application as Service 3" but both run at $79. I ended up finding "Firedaemon" which runs 30$ and then $20 after using "FAY-ESN-413" coupon code as a discount. It works well on my 64-bit server. It's a little easier than the other instructions provided and the service priority now allows it to run smoothly without being CPU starved.

#1, I ended up installing "speed scheduler" plugin on Azureus and set limits to run during times of incoming calls. My original speeds were 300 kB/s download and 50 kB/s upload. I tuned it down to 50 kB/s download and 20 kB/s upload. On top of this, I installed "cfosSpeed" to set up more bandwidth priorities since QOS doesn't exactly exist within windows, only outside. I've done everthing with my DDWRT router, but to no avail. CfosSpeed also had some nice benefits in allowing other software to work nicely with Azureus.

Finally, #4: I use WLan Optimizer .net .10 Alpha to kill the windows wireless seek mode. Works like a champ. I also Own 5.8 GHz phones to prevent interference and draft 1.0 N wireless with dd-wrt. Since these, wireless hasn't been an issue. The locals around here are moving to draft 2.0 and 3.0 which is incredibly fast. Unfortunately, I live on base which forces me to live with American speed standards... 3 megabits down, .5 megabits up. My friends living off base all have optics which gives them 1 gigabits down 1 gigabits up and N draft 2.0 or better . Basically, unless they have a fiber card in their system, they can't use all the download they get...even with a gigabit ethernet card.

I sincerely hope this helps some of you guys out who ended up in a similar situation as I. Have a great day.

Respectfully,
Treb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: