magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Save settings?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlieberman
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Save settings? Reply with quote

I am new to magicJack. So far, I cannot find a way to save settings. True, there are not that many settings to save. But one I would like to save is the telephone/headset setting. Each time I restart, I need to re-set this again from telephone to headset, and also re-select which audio devices to use. These settings do NOT persist from one re-start to the next, and so must be re-entered again each time.

Is there a way to save such settings? Am I missing something?
gary
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you upgraded your software.

If not, go to http://www.magicjack.com/site/customercare.html click on "have vista?".

This will dowload and install the latest upgrade. This works both for XP and Vista.
jlieberman
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gary, with the upgrade, MJ does automatically save settings now. I see I can also minimize the app to the Windows tray.

Generally, I find the voice quality acceptable, but not as smooth at Skype or Vonage. I seem to get some background noise and pops. Nothing too terrible, but not quite as clean as I would like. I set the priority of the magicJack process to high using Task Manager. That seems to improve voice quality a bit.
gary

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I can suggest is try different handset(s).

I have a panasonic 2.4GHzwhich sounds very scratchy but the vtech 5.8GHz sounds great.

Another suggestion would be to try different USB ports.
jlieberman
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: MJ too high fidelity? Reply with quote

I use a Plantronics DSP headset plugged directly into a USB port. The headset quality is superb. The MJ sound so far is just adequate.

I have a theory that at 80Kb/s up and down and with the CODECs that MJ uses, it may be transferring too much fidelity. I also use Vonage and Skype, both at about 50Kb/s, and they sound good.

My theory is that too much detail may actually make MJ, or any sound system, sound worse, not better. Liken it to turning up the sharpness on your TV too high. Edges become noisy, sharp color ramps start crawling, and the picture generally becomes too noisy. So we turn down the sharpness part way to obtain a good balance between detail and smoothness.

I suggest that there is an analogous principle in audio audio fidelity, and that MJ's may be too high. That by reducing the fidelity some, it would round off the sharp edges of sound, smooth out the raspiness and mask small glitches.

Are there any audio engineers out there who would comment, refute or improve upon this theory?
curiousgeorge

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gary posted:I have a panasonic 2.4GHzwhich sounds very scratchy but the vtech 5.8GHz sounds great.

gary, I also have the vtech 5.8 ghz and sounds great.
jlieberman
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, I am finding that the telephone/headset setting is NOT saved persistently, even after I installed the Dec 07 "Vista" upgrade on my Windows XP system. After ending the magicJack process through Windows Task Manager, next time I reload the program I have to reset back to headset and re-select my audio devices through the MJ interface. Is anyone else experiencing this minor annoyance? Any suggestions on fixing it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: