magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Skypeout and MJ on one box

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boondocs
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Skypeout and MJ on one box Reply with quote

I was thinking about using Skypeout for my other voip because my daughter would go over the minutes allowed by MJ. Has anyone ran Skypeout on their Thin Client with MJ running on it as well?

I'm thinking about trying it.
hsweiss
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Skypeout and MJ on one box Reply with quote

Boondocs wrote:
I was thinking about using Skypeout for my other voip because my daughter would go over the minutes allowed by MJ. Has anyone ran Skypeout on their Thin Client with MJ running on it as well?

I'm thinking about trying it.

Works fine although maybe not simultaneously unless you have a hot machine. What do you mean by "my daughter would go over the minutes allowed by MJ"? MJ is unlimited despite some urban myths that there is a per month limit. Has anyone been dinged by MJ for using too many minutes?
Boondocs
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard 2000 mins a month.

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/i-cannot-make-calls-it-is-saying-to-please-call-2148845142-t3288.html
Boondocs
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW how is the sound quality on Skypeout compared to MJ? For their yearly plan and a local number it looks like the total price would be 89.90 per year. and they claim you get 10,000 mins per month as per their fair use policy.
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hell? Considering she goes to school... that means 5 hours a frickin day. and that isnt even including the weekends. If she has a cell phone then nights and weekends are unlimited. If she comes home at 3ish and is on the phone the whole time then that would be till 8 o clock. What happened to dinner and homework? That's the only thing that I was thinking about as I was reading your question.

~kumar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Boondocs
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha she's 14 and on the phone all the time. She has made honor roll two years in a row and just received student of the month again for the second time in two years. I can't complain if she is on the phone for a couple of hours a night.
She has a prepaid cell phone cause I refuse to pay for a cell plan for her cause they don';t work here. Originally I wanted the voip phone for long distance cause cells don't work where I live but now I plan on using the MJ for our home phone (rewired the house this weekend) and use another voip service for her phone line. I'd rather pay the extra without the hassle of the MJ shutting down for over use.
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boondocs wrote:
haha she's 14 and on the phone all the time. She has made honor roll two years in a row and just received student of the month again for the second time in two years. I can't complain if she is on the phone for a couple of hours a night.
She has a prepaid cell phone cause I refuse to pay for a cell plan for her cause they don';t work here. Originally I wanted the voip phone for long distance cause cells don't work where I live but now I plan on using the MJ for our home phone (rewired the house this weekend) and use another voip service for her phone line. I'd rather pay the extra without the hassle of the MJ shutting down for over use.

Hm... I am of that same age... but a guy so hm. Trying to think of a chick that would talk that much, but most of us just text lol. Why is there prepaid service put no postpaid out there? Most prepaid is based off of postpaid I THINK.. Tracfone + net10 = att(that covers everything:P) It must cost a fortune to frickin pay on that much prepaid.. What prepaid service is she rolling...

Kumar

P.S Sorry very choppy sentences up there ^^
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Boondocs
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

prepaid only when we/she is out and has service. no point in paying for something that does not work when shes home. thats what aim is for Smile
net10 btw
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boondocs wrote:
prepaid only when we/she is out and has service. no point in paying for something that does not work when shes home. thats what aim is for Smile
net10 btw

Woo.. Im happy I don't live in a deadzone and for my parents... I use like 100 minutes tops outa my 550 shared family... and maxed out on texts. 50 a day? May be dropping down this weekend when i upgrade cause dads job = curplunk last week =/. But yeah net10 is FTW!

~Kumar
hsweiss
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boondocs wrote:
BTW how is the sound quality on Skypeout compared to MJ? For their yearly plan and a local number it looks like the total price would be 89.90 per year. and they claim you get 10,000 mins per month as per their fair use policy.

I have found that Skype computer-2-computer is excellent (e.g, sounds like the person is sitting right next to you). On computer-2-telephone its about the same as MJ - that is, variable. Sometimes its excellent and sometimes its not so great.
hsweiss
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boondocs wrote:

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/i-cannot-make-calls-it-is-saying-to-please-call-2148845142-t3288.html

But that's 33 hours/month!
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at any rate... just get another MJ if they cut you off? I do not think that they should.. the TOS doesnt say that once you hit that number your done.. i think its just a maybe if you get caught thing..

Also...
your lucky you have a daughter that uses the jack.. my sister refuses to use it and just keeps munching on the cell phone. (Not as much anymore since shes in all AP classes, but last year).

Kumar
Boondocs
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hsweiss wrote:
Boondocs wrote:

Haha I guess you don't have a teenage daughter.
Boondocs
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hsweiss wrote:
Boondocs wrote:

I have found that Skype computer-2-computer is excellent (e.g, sounds like the person is sitting right next to you). On computer-2-telephone its about the same as MJ - that is, variable. Sometimes its excellent and sometimes its not so great.

Gotcha - do you use a usb connector for the Skypeout calls or just the softphone with a headset?
hsweiss
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boondocs wrote:
hsweiss wrote:
Boondocs wrote:

Haha I guess you don't have a teenage daughter.

Actually my eldest son was the problem much more than my daughter!
hsweiss
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boondocs wrote:
hsweiss wrote:
Boondocs wrote:

Gotcha - do you use a usb connector for the Skypeout calls or just the softphone with a headset?

Usually softphone w/headset. But I've also just used laptop speakers w/builtin mic and even a pair of earbuds with a cheap plug-in mic. On one of my machines, there is a LOT of noise on the mic input to the motherboard sound card so I had to move over to a USB headset which works perfectly.
Boondocs
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw a lot of info on usb boxes that use the skype info to log in and make phone calls. very similar to the MJ just more expensive Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: