magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
So No It Is likely To Work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks -> Using magicJack on Linux
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ray2047
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: So No It Is likely To Work? Reply with quote

Was considering using MJ but it seems it is not likely enough to work for my situation to be worth spending money on it. My main OS is Linux but I see where updates seem to have broke Twinkle and most softphone software doesn't work.

I see no mention in the forum of it working in Wine.

I could run VirtualBox but but the newest version of Windows I have is Win2K and the hack for Win2K from what I read no longer works.

So is that about it or am I missing some way to get it to work till the vaporware Linux drivers finally show up?
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: So No It Is likely To Work? Reply with quote

ray2047 wrote:
Was considering using MJ but it seems it is not likely enough to work for my situation to be worth spending money on it. My main OS is Linux but I see where updates seem to have broke Twinkle and most softphone software doesn't work.

I could run VirtualBox but but the newest version of Windows I have is Win2K and the hack for Win2K from what I read no longer works.

So is that about it or am I missing some way to get it to work till the vaporware Linux drivers finally show up?
There are ways to get MJ to work. You can consider getting a thin client to run MJ or you can get your sip credentials and run MJ with an ata using mjmd5. Being your familiar with linux may make using an ata a fun project.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: So No It Is likely To Work? Reply with quote

ray2047 wrote:

If you extract your credentials and run MJMD5 proxy then you can use any softphone with it. Information on this can be found here on the forum.
ray2047
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Knew of the thin client but I'm going dry loop to save money so I really didn't consider it an option. The others suggestions I missed. I have some more research to do.
johnvan
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Knew of the thin client but I'm going dry loop to save money so I really didn't consider it an option. The others suggestions I missed. I have some more research to do.

I have a all my computers at home running Linux. I use a 5710 thin client for magicjack.
I'm not sure what you mean by a thin client not being an option if you dry loop. It has everything you need, it's running XP, coonnect it to your router and you're all set.
ray2047
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="johnvan"]
Quote:

I have a all my computers at home running Linux. I use a 5710 thin client for magicjack.
I'm not sure what you mean by a thin client not being an option if you dry loop. It has everything you need, it's running XP, coonnect it to your router and you're all set.
I meant spending money on hardware would off set money saved by going to dry loop. Checking Ebay I can probably buy a copy of XP for less then a thin server and just put it on a computer I already have but thank you for the reply.
Diggs
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ray2047 I meant spending money on hardware would off set money saved by going to dry loop. Checking Ebay I can probably buy a copy of XP for less then a thin server and just put it on a computer I already have but thank you for the reply.[/quote]

Actually, XPe is free for thin clients and you save every month on the electric bill by running a thin client over a desktop. Over the course of just a year, the electric savings far outweigh any savings you would have gained by running a free Linux distro. (and I also run Linux on many of my machines.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks -> Using magicJack on Linux All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: