magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stroths MJ Utilities 1.6 -SIP Info & More *8/2 UPDATE*

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stroths
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:25 am    Post subject: Stroths MJ Utilities 1.6 -SIP Info & More *8/2 UPDATE* Reply with quote

Stroths MagicJack Utilities Suite v1.6

**WARNING** Although I don't see this causing any damage, I take no responsibility for anything this may do to your system. Use at your own risk and please make a backup before running.

--------------------------------------------------
8/2009 - Future Work on these tools: I don't plan on any further development on these tools. I am not ruling it out, but its definitely in my future plans at this time. I have put a lot of my time into this and other MJ related project (i.e. thin client firmware, walkthroughs), so I am moving to the back seat on MJ projects and letting some of the very creative minds here crack the MJ username/password mystery wide open.

I thank you all for your encouraging words and I will still be around since I still use MJ as my backup line now (SIPgate is my primary).

8/1/2009 SIP Info can't find the data is did before. The latest update changed something which could have been encryption or possibly changing where the sip data is kept. I created a simplified app called SIPDump which basically dumps the magicjack.exe executable and pulls all the string data from it. It's essentially an easier way to use pmdump. It's really more of a cleaned up executable dump, but I didn't feel like renaming it afterwards, so I kept sipdump.

It's also simplified in that it doesn't need any entries in the config. Download it and dump it in the MagicJack Utilities Suite directory. Then run it manually and follow the directions. I don't know where the SIP data is anymore, but post in this thread and maybe someone can figure this out.

Download Stroths SIPDump 1.0

One interesting thing I see is that the MagicJack executable is pulling password data from other locations for some reason. I saw my gmail password in the MagicJack.exe dump which makes me wonder why they are pulling this data. Maybe someone else can clear this up.

7/22/2009 SIP Info 1.6 beta update
Look at the bottom of this post for an updated version of SIP Info

4/9/2009 MJ Update
The suite still appears to work after the 4/9 MJ upgrade for those interested.

Description
I decided to incorporate several of the apps I have written into an easy to use GUI. It includes the SIP Info checker, MJ Upgrader, and some other nice features.

Regarding the SIP Info checker, it will pull your SIP credentials from your MagicJack. This is purely for educational purposes and should NOT be used to circumvent your MJ hardware. This is against their TOS and should not be done.

Download
Stroths MagicJack Utilities Suite v1.6

Here is the previous version just in case the latest version (above) doesn't work for you or you just like this version.
Stroths MagicJack Utilities Suite v1.5

v1.6 Torrent (compliments of Poo619)

- -

Instructions

1. Unzip the folder and put it where ever you like on your system.

2. Once done, you can run MagicJackSuite.exe and go from there.

3. Update the config from the GUI

4. (Optional) - Create a shortcut to MagicJackSuite.exe on your desktop. This will make it easier to run in the future.

Bugs
Not really sure if its a bug or not, but sometimes you have to run the SIP Checker app more than once to get the SIP data. It really has to do with the timing of pulling the SIP data when magicjack starts. Since different systems run this at different speeds, its hard to determine a time value that works across the board.
See version 1.5 update as there was a bug in some versions before it.

Changelog

-Added "MySIPInfoLocation" variable to Optional section of the config file. You can select where you want to save your MySIPinfo.txt now.
-Added mouseover tooltips to each of the buttons on the main interface.
-Added ability to add a startup entry for MagicJack that bypasses the usual MJ splash screen. (suggested by jamesgray)

- Added "Optional" section in config for future options
- Added MJUpgradeURL to Optional config section. Allows you to put in a different URL if you want to download a different upgrade.exe file
- Fixed a possible bug causing a bluescreen on one of my test environments. Appears to be from some code I introduced on v1.2 and continued through v1.41. Might have just been my system, but upgrade just to be safe.

- Added Configuration with GUI interface to make the suite easier to setup.
- Fixed a bug in the GUI where it would not read the values from the config file after changing them in the GUI. Caused it to run with old values until you would exit and restart it. Issue now corrected.
- Optimized some code

- Changed startup registry entry remover to check if key exists and report back if not there

- Added Proxy Name and IP to SIP Info per request

- Added taskkill binary missing by some builds of windows

- Initial Release

Source: I wrote this app using a freeware scripting program called AutoHotKey (http://www.autohotkey.com/).

Credits:
Grep.exe - http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/grep.htm
Strings.exe - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897439.aspx
PMdump.exe - http://ntsecurity.nu/toolbox/pmdump/

Also, thanks to all the members here who posted the info that allowed me to write this app.

----------------

SIP Info 1.6 Beta 1 - Test Version

It's been a while since I posted any updates, but since my thread is now a sticky I figured I would provide at least one more update.

Here is an update to the SIP Info that should be more reliable in pulling the SIP Info on the first try. Please read all the info below before running and please provide feedback on if it works better for you than previous versions.

Download
Stroths MagicJack SIPInfo 1.6 beta1

Changes
- Added max call duration info
- Removed call delay used in previous versions
- Changed method of pulling proxy name. Should be more reliable. Note that this just pulls what MJ says your proxy should be.

Instructions
Make sure you already have MJ Suite 1.6 downloaded and setup correctly. Simply overwrite the sipinfo.exe on your computer with the one in the download link. Everything else is the same with the exception of the delay setting in the config. You can set it, but it will be ignored.

Diskspace Concerns: The trade with my new approach is that you will need around 400mb free diskspace (temporarily) running this version. The older versions ran a single dump and searched it for the data needed. This version does the same thing, but 3 times in a row causing around 400mb in files while its running. It deletes the temporary files after it runs just like previous versions.

Last edited by stroths on Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:47 am; edited 30 times in total
MagicDump

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stroths, nice touch on the integration, excellent, it upgraded my software and pull my SIP info without a problem.

I am running on Vista X32.

This are my settings:
[Settings]
ServiceMode=No
ThinClient=No
StartDelay=3
MJFlashDriveLetter = J

[MJServiceMode]
Path1 = C:\users\Default\AppData\Roaming
Path2 = C:\Users\Steven\AppData\Roaming
MJService = magicjack

[MJNONServiceMode]
Path3 = C:\Users\Dragon\AppData\Roaming\

Thank you
foltz61
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting an error on the "Get Curent SIP Information" process. A popup with the following info comes up:

Error: Failed attempt to laucnch program or document
Actions: <tasklill /im magicjack.exe>
Params: </t /f>

Specifically: The system cannot find the file specified

Line #
------> 085: RunWait, taskkill /im magicjack.exe /t /f,Hide

This is on an XP machine. The suite can start but not stop magicjack.exe correctly by using the buttons.

Edit: Can't stop magicjack.exe.

Last edited by foltz61 on Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
laserjobs
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

foltz61 wrote:
I'm getting an error on the "Get Curent SIP Information" process. A popup with the following info comes up:

Error: Failed attempt to laucnch program or document
Actions: <tasklill /im magicjack.exe>
Params: </t /f>

Specifically: The system cannot find the file specified

Line #
------> 085: RunWait, taskkill /im magicjack.exe /t /f,Hide

This is on an XP machine. The suite can start and stop magicjack.exe correctly by using the buttons.

stroths can you post the source so we can troubleshoot this problem
stroths

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The script is using the taskkill command which should be a standard exe in your Windows\System32 folder.

See if you have C:\Windows\System32\Taskkill.exe on your system and let me know.

EDIT: You can download it at the link below and copy it to your Windows\System32 folder.

http://home.wanadoo.nl/gigajosh/files/taskkill_en.zip

EDIT2: Updated suite to v1.1. I added the taskkill binary in and updated the code to reflect the location.

You can keep your existing config.ini from 1.0 if you want because nothing in it has changed.
foltz61
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not having taskkill was the problem. Everything worked fine.

Thanks

stroths wrote:
The script is using the taskkill command which should be a standard exe in your Windows\System32 folder.

See if you have C:\Windows\System32\Taskkill.exe on your system and let me know.

EDIT: You can download it at the link below and copy it to your Windows\System32 folder.

http://home.wanadoo.nl/gigajosh/files/taskkill_en.zip

EDIT2: Updated suite to v1.1. I added the taskkill binary in and updated the code to reflect the location.

You can keep your existing config.ini from 1.0 if you want because nothing in it has changed.
stroths

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated link to v1.2 in 1st post

Changelog

- Added Proxy Name and IP to SIP Info per request
MagicDump

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is it, outstanding that's all we need, most amazing.

Thank you again

Here is your SIP Information as of 6:22 PM on Monday, January 05, 2009

Login Information
ProxyUserName = EXXXXXXXXXX1
ProxyUserPassword = XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

UDP Ports
SIPUDPDefaultPort = 0
SIPUDPPortRangeStart = 65535
SIPUDPPortRangeEnd = 49152

Other SIP Data
SIPCallerID = EXXXXXXXXXX1
UserDomain = talk4free.com
ProxyName = proxy1.miami.talk4free.com
ProxyIP = 216.234.79.8
User-Agent = MagicJack/1.80.466c (SJ Labs)

This file was saved to C:\Users\Dragon\Desktop\MagicJack Utilities V1.2\MagicJack_Utilities\MySIPinfo.txt.

Please keep a copy for your records.

I don't think the ports are needed, ports should be 5070 and 5060.

for any ATA, soft phones or Asterisk PBX.

May be that info will be good if some one needs to mess around with the router.
stroths

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MagicDump wrote:
This is it, outstanding that's all we need, most amazing.

Thank you again

I am glad you like it and that its meets your needs. Funny thing is that I've spent a ton of time on these apps and I don't even run an ATA Laughing

Can you or someone else verify that the info it pulls is correct? Also, does anyone know of an easy way to check if the user and/or password data is correct without using an ATA of any alternative softphone app?
MagicDump

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is 100% accurate, I have been running MJ in a PAP2t for 6 mo. now, but they keep changing the User-Agent, before I always have to run WireShak and it was time consuming now it is so fast, thanks to you.
Actually you don't have to put the User-Agent, but it make easy for them to discover you are running an ATA.

Last edited by MagicDump on Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
stroths

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MagicDump wrote:
It is 100% accurate, I have been running MJ in a PAP2t for 6 mo. now, but they keep changing the User-Agent, before I always have to run WireShak and it was time consuming now it is so fast, thanks to you.

You are very welcome. Do you know what some of the past user-agent strings were? Curious to see if they are different enough to cause an issue with my code.
MagicDump

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was probably when you give us the option to change the StartDelay what made the difference I think. But I really don't have any more ideas.
MagicDump

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just try it in XLite soft Phone.

Yes you can input the eg. User-Agent = MagicJack/1.80.466c (SJ Labs)
The Trick is to go to the advance user menu in XLite by dialing ***7469
and then filter for Agent and copu your current User-Agent Version.

May be you want to give it a try, it take 10 sec. to configure.

Last edited by MagicDump on Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mistar Muffin
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My password has been the same since the big update a few weeks ago that started this thread. Came home today and SIP pw was different, so went for friend down the road. Both using PAP2 v1. Got new sip credentials on both. Worked for about 2 hours, password has been changed for both of us again. Are they actively seeking those of us that are using ATA and changing our PW? If so is there any way to mask it? If I had to guess they could be using the user-agent of the PAP2 right? Is there any way to change the PAP2 user-agent to match what SIPInfo.exe gives me? (User-Agent = MagicJack/1.80.466c (SJ Labs))
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MagicDump

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes just go to the SIP tab on your PAP2 in advance mode, and under SP Reg User Agent name put your current User-Agent.

eg MagicJack/1.80.466c (SJ Labs), just cut and paste the whole string.
stroths

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistar Muffin wrote:
My password has been the same since the big update a few weeks ago that started this thread. Came home today and SIP pw was different, so went for friend down the road. Both using PAP2 v1. Got new sip credentials on both. Worked for about 2 hours, password has been changed for both of us again. Are they actively seeking those of us that are using ATA and changing our PW? If so is there any way to mask it? If I had to guess they could be using the user-agent of the PAP2 right? Is there any way to change the PAP2 user-agent to match what SIPInfo.exe gives me? (User-Agent = MagicJack/1.80.466c (SJ Labs))

I wrote this app using a freeware scripting app called AutoHotkey. If you wanted to get really fancy, it would be possible for someone (not me) to create a more automated method of updating it. A script could be written that would get the user agent field from mysipinfo.txt and then launch a browser (or use something like lynx) to update the settings on your PAP2. That's beyond the scope of what I want to do, but its possible if someone wanted to invest the time. Not sure if you can connect to the PAP2 via SSH or telnet. If so, that would make writing the script a lot easier.
stroths

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: v1.4.1 Out Reply with quote

Updated to version 1.4.1

Download link updated on 1st post.

EDIT: 3 of you got version 1.4 before I was found a bug and uploaded 1.4.1. You can download v1.4.1 and just copy over the new magicjacksuite.exe as its the only changed file from 1.4.

- Added Configuration with GUI interface to make the suite easier to setup.
- Fixed a bug in the GUI where it would not read the values from the config file after changing them in the GUI. Caused it to run with old values until you would exit and restart it. Issue now corrected.

- Changed startup registry entry remover to check if key exists and report back if not there

If you have 1.2 running to your likes, then don't worry about upgrading.

Upgrade Warning: You must use the config file included in this new version if you upgrade. It's pretty easy to make changes now with the GUI config editor.

NOTE: This will probably be the last update I put out for a while unless someone finds a significant bug. I've spent waaay too much time on this lately and need to do other things.

Enjoy
Boondocs
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic man great job.
javaguy216
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stroths,

I haven't tried your program yet, however I just wanted to say THANK YOU for your work and contribution!
stroths

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate all of the support. The community has given me a lot and I like to give back.

I have added some pictures of the app on the 1st page for those interested. If you are running XP or have Window's theme support turned off, it will look a little different. On my thin client, I have the Window's theme service turned off to save resources. As a result, my suite looks very plain, but still works just the same.
jose.miami
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In only two days you you have made a dream program that is not only functional but elegant, professional and child proof.
I spend countless hours in the pass just trying to figure out how to get some of this info and you just made it so easy.

Thank you and god bless you
magicjack6666
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

A HUGE THANKS to stroths (Bender) super nice works like a charm. Please keep up the good work.

Thanks to magicdump as well for the x-lite info.
Predator04
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man of course1 my magic jack breaks and you come up with this! they wont even send me a new one. so i lost about 5 months of my mj. i dont have any money to get one now. oh well. buy the time i get another this wont work. anyays thanks for taking the time to make this! great work keep it up!!!

EDIT** stroths CHECK YOUR PM ASASP
foltz61
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not condeming anyone for bypassing the ads, just hope MagicJack can survive. Pretty soon we'll have to listen to ads before our calls go through. I'll admit, I've tried this (made 2 calls) but decided not to stick with it. Just something to think about.
stroths

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found an issue with the current version. I took the link down and will upload a new version soon.
Becky
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stroths wrote:
I found an issue with the current version. I took the link down and will upload a new version soon.

r u removing the virus?glad I could help.prolly should warn people they should virus scan now!lol!!!1!good thing for mcafee!
stroths

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Becky wrote:
stroths wrote:

r u removing the virus?glad I could help.prolly should warn people they should virus scan now!lol!!!1!good thing for mcafee!

No virus. Was a bug that caused one of my test systems to bluescreen several times. I think one of strings of code had a runaway process that caused it.

I've seen some of the larger commercial AV apps like McAfee pick up a lot of false positives (or at least with the apps I run). I would suggest NOD32 or AVG as they have less bloat and seem to work better.
stroths

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: v1.5 Updated Reply with quote

BUG WARNING - Versions 1.2 thru 1.41

If you are running any version 1.2 or above, you need to do a full upgrade. Completely remove the MagicJack_Utilities directory and start fresh to ensure no remnants are left over. I would rather be safe than sorry because I would hate for my code to cause any bluescreens. I think it might only be on certain systems under certain conditions since others haven't reported anything, but do a full upgrade just to be safe.

Changelog

- Added MJUpgradeURL to Optional config section. Allows you to put in a different URL if you want to download a different upgrade.exe file
- Fixed a possible bug causing a bluescreen on one of my test environments. Appears to be from some code I introduced on v1.2 and continued through v1.41. Might have just been my system, but upgrade just to be safe.

The optional upgrade URL does work, but MJ has put some workaround that causes the software to immediately upgrade to the new version upon first run. Previously, you could block the upgrade with a modification to the hosts file. The host we were blocking previously doesn't seem to have an effect now. If someone can figure out the host to block then we will be in business.
stroths

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: v1.5 Updated Reply with quote

Becky wrote:

um.I post a picture of the virus then u delete the file right after.claim there was a problem with blue screen?

u got caught spreading malware.admin should remove this user before he infects more people.

Anyone who knows me on this board (and that's quite a few) know I wouldn't try to do anything like that. If anyone has any doubts, please feel free to run the SIPinfo.exe through any number of tests you want. I assure you that I planted no malware or virus in it.
synchron

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent job, Stroths!

No bluescreens for me and I'm running 1.41 Only thing that doesn't work for me is running it as a service. I normally use Firedaemon and the service name is called 'FireDaemon Service: MagicJack' but it doesn't seem to take (assuming you use Start Program/Stop program buttons when in service mode. I changed the string name in the config. No biggie....

Synchron Cool
stroths

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

synchron wrote:
Excellent job, Stroths!

No bluescreens for me and I'm running 1.41 Only thing that doesn't work for me is running it as a service. I normally use Firedaemon and the service name is called 'FireDaemon Service: MagicJack' but it doesn't seem to take (assuming you use Start Program/Stop program buttons when in service mode. I changed the string name in the config. No biggie....

Synchron Cool

The app is just issuing the dos command "net stop yourservicename" or "net start yourservicename". I haven't dealt with firedaemon in quite a while, so I am not sure how it does things. Are you able to issue the commands above from a command prompt to start/stop the firedaemon service?

Also, do the other apps in the suite kill the service when they are running?
synchron

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I was using the Display name that you see in the Windows services.msc. With Firedaemon, the service name is still 'MagicJack' so that worked in your suite. Bear in mind there's a good 6 or so second delay. I'm not sure if it's Firedaemon or any windows net service. At any rate, might be worthwhile to pick up the response to the net command (service started successfully, service stopped successfully and msgbox that to show any delays in the servicing process).

Once again, great job!

Synchron Cool
Predator04
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: v1.5 Updated Reply with quote

Becky wrote:
stroths wrote:
If you are running any version 1.2 or above, you need to do a full upgrade. Completely remove the MagicJack_Utilities directory and start fresh to ensure no remnants are left over. I would rather be safe than sorry because I would hate for my code to cause any bluescreens. I think it might only be on certain systems under certain conditions since others haven't reported anything, but do a full upgrade just to be safe.

Changelog

- Fixed a possible bug causing a bluescreen on one of my test environments. Might have just been my system, but upgrade just to be safe.

The optional upgrade URL does work, but MJ has put some workaround that causes the software to immediately upgrade to the new version upon first run. Previously, you could block the upgrade with a modification to the hosts file. The host we were blocking previously doesn't seem to have an effect now. If someone can figure out the host to block then we will be in business.

um.I post a picture of the virus

then u delete the file right after.claim there was a problem with blue screen?

u got caught spreading malware.admin should remove this user before he infects more people.

try using a antivirus that doesnt suck...

you might want to use a real av and check your system... here the info on that file..

http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/de5d3d1fbccd5695e8c149a72595ac9e
Adolf
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Becky wrote:
i get this error trying to run your program.can someone help me make this work?thank you.

I smell a rat here from Ymax.

I am running McAfeee and I never got this, the file is clean and it works good.
So Lady or who ever you are tell Dan That is nothing you can do to stop this program.

ISAD

Last edited by Adolf on Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
neo2121

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I guess that there always has to be someone that make stupid claims about programs that where written to benefit them. Thanks for your hard work on this, its going to save a lot of people sometime. Some people don't know how to appreciate a good thing or favors, and most likely don't even understand what to do with their info in the first place. its just ignorance its like the people that send me e-mails about cain & able giving then a false positive.
stroths

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the support and I appreciate it. There are a lot of great people around here and I do my work for you all.

Regarding the virus accusation, Becky had a legitimate concern and had a right to voice it. I think the comment to ban me was a bit hasty, but keep in mind we've all jumped to conclusions in the past. Let's keep that in mind and welcome constructive posts. There are people out there trying to do nasty things with their code and they give all others a bad name.
Adolf
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I was referring to the Gunter guy on that post, I edited the post after that.
I do appreciate the work you do.
You are the greatest.

Thank you
MagicHack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adolf wrote:
Becky wrote:
i get this error trying to run your program.can someone help me make this work?thank you.

I smell a rat here from Ymax.

I am running McAfeee and I never got this, the file is clean and it works good.
So Lady or who ever you are tell Dan That is nothing you can do to stop this program.

ISAD

I seem to have missed a bit here...

From the thread, it appears as though at 12:58 am someone posted indicating that there was a virus in this exe.

At 3:42 am, the author removed his code. He stated that it caused blue screens. (Note: Having written software for the last couple of decades, I tend to think this statement is BS, since his program is doing nothing more than dumping a processes memory, then searching the dump file for some strings; though, this is just my opinion.)

With that said, if someone wants to post a mirror of the original zip file, I'd gladly analyze it.

I do tend to question the authors motives though. Is there a reason you posted this information publicly?

Take callerid spoofing for example. When Stewart originally posted about caller id spoofing, I decided to rewrite it to make it easier for people to use.

Caller id spoofing was fun while it lasted, but, eventually (I'm guessing thanks to this forum), magicJack caught on, and blocked us from being able to do that. In fact, I can probably come up with a good dozen things magicJack has done to prevent (or at least make harder) for us to do.

Posting information like this will surely catch magicJack's eye. Your method of searching for plain text passwords in process memory can easily be fixed by magicJack. All they need to do is ensure that the passwords are never stored in plain text in system memory - something that ALL companies should do in the first place. I'm guessing that they'll do that soon.

Also, it is possible for magicJack to determine if you are using the softphone or an ATA. 'Bogus' User-Agent strings is just one way for them to do this. The softphone not only deals with standard SIP. (As long as we're posting all of this information publicly for magicJack to read, here's how I would prevent ATA's if I were magicJack.) During the initialization of the magicJack, a few things happen:
  1. A connection is made to one of the provisioning servers to retrieve your encrypted credentials.
  2. Standard SIP registration occurs
  3. Your softphone registers it's 911 location.

(I've actually dumbed this down a bit - there is a lot more that occurs, just showing enough to make my point.)

When you use an ATA, you just do step #2.

So, if magicJack wants to prohibit ATA use, they just need to do a couple of lookups in their database. If step #2 was done without step #1 or #3, ban account.

So, now that we've effectively put the nail in the coffin, what's the next big thing we want to help magicJack with? Perhaps you should publicly post how to add free international minutes to your account. magicJack would love to know that hole exists.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Virus Scans Reply with quote

I have scanned the following list of versions using AVG, MalWare and Norton all of which are up to date.

Versions:

1.1a

No problems were found in any of these versions. Yes I missed a couple of the update versions in there but I believe the most current version at the time of the posting reporting a virus was v1.41.

I do understand that making these things so easy; will allow many who otherwise would not be savvy enough to violate the MJ TOS to do so and may increase MJ's efforts to block this kind of activity. However I do think it would only be a matter of time before the holes are addressed anyway.

The best all around solution would be for MJ to honor it's word and make BYOD available.

I can say I have enough respect for strohs that even if I had detected virus (WHICH I DID NOT), I would simply felt he may have gotten infected and passed it on accidentally.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Virus Scans Reply with quote

VaHam wrote:
The best all around solution would be for MJ to honor it's word and make BYOD available.

It seems like a Catch 22. Maybe if they weren't spending so much time plugging holes due to them being exploited by so many people, they'd have more time to do things like provide caller ID blocking (the absence of which caused so many people to use caller ID spoofing), or an ATA device.

IMO, making the info available (to take advantage of MJ's holes) isn't a big problem. It's always going to be available to some extent, even if it's just a few people PMing info to each other. Eventually it will get out far enough. It's inevitable. Might as well just get all the info out there.

The only downside I see is that it causes MJ to devote more resources to hardening their system. That's not entirely bad. But, it could contribute to delaying a Linux client, ATA device, etc.

Mark
elschus
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Stroths. This is great stuff. Is there any chance of you posting the source? I don't want to sound unappreciative, and from what I read I am confident you would not do anything unsavory. And I'm not concerned about viruses, as a scan with a quality AV program is enough validation for me.

However, I think there is a bigger issue with software like this (similiarly pm.exe at http://magicjackhacks.com/) because I am allowing it to read my magicjack account information. In general (again, this isn't aimed at you specifically), it would be really easy to have an extra subroutine that sends that account information to a web form or e-mail address. Suddenly, the software author has control of a few hundred accounts. Now, the time is unlimited, so free phone calls aren't really an issue, but the potential for other kinds of abuse is there. I don't know all the possibilities, as I'm new to VOIP, but could a second softphone "pick up the line" as an extension and listen? At the very least, the second softphone could answer calls to that number.

So while I appreciate your contribution, and I understand your desire to protect your IP, I ask you to at least consider releasing the source as a way to protect the magicjack community.
stroths

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanted to give you all an update. The issues I described with my last release were real, but I wasn't sure if they would affect many (if any) people, because it might have been related to my test system. It was an older machine with an early version of XP that had not been updated with any of the service packs or updates. I planned on making the update within a few days with a few other goodies, but an issue came up that prompted me to post the update sooner than I intended and remove my 1.4.1 version. Turns out that I provided the mysipinfo.txt file with my data in the 1.4.1 update by accident.

While I believe that 99.5% of this community wouldn't take advantage of that, I know that there are some that would. I couldn't publicly announce that at the time until I could fix it. Quite honestly, I didn't plan on mentioning it at all except for the whole virus accusation. I do a lot for the community here and didn't want my good name smeared. That SIP information is no longer any good, so I don't have any issue divulging that info now.

On a related note, someone did realize that I included that SIp info and tried to gain access to my.magicjack.com. It saddens me that someone would do that after I try to help the community. Regardless, I will not let the actions of a small minority stop me from continuing to contribute here.
stroths

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elschus wrote:
Thank you, Stroths. This is great stuff. Is there any chance of you posting the source? I don't want to sound unappreciative, and from what I read I am confident you would not do anything unsavory. And I'm not concerned about viruses, as a scan with a quality AV program is enough validation for me.

However, I think there is a bigger issue with software like this (similiarly pm.exe at http://magicjackhacks.com/) because I am allowing it to read my magicjack account information. In general (again, this isn't aimed at you specifically), it would be really easy to have an extra subroutine that sends that account information to a web form or e-mail address. Suddenly, the software author has control of a few hundred accounts. Now, the time is unlimited, so free phone calls aren't really an issue, but the potential for other kinds of abuse is there. I don't know all the possibilities, as I'm new to VOIP, but could a second softphone "pick up the line" as an extension and listen? At the very least, the second softphone could answer calls to that number.

So while I appreciate your contribution, and I understand your desire to protect your IP, I ask you to at least consider releasing the source as a way to protect the magicjack community.

You have a good point and while I agree, I don't necessarily want MJ to know exactly what I am doing specifically so they can't make a small change here or there to circumvent it. However, I will agree to a compromise to ease anyone's mind. I am willing to release my code to a select few here that I have worked with in the past to show I am not trying to do anything like that. I would trust this information to people like HolmanGT, VaHam and Trebuin. These are respected members of this community and I think they would be good choices.

Let me know what you all think.
Predator04
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stroths wrote:
Wanted to give you all an update. The issues I described with my last release were real, but I wasn't sure if they would affect many (if any) people, because it might have been related to my test system. It was an older machine with an early version of XP that had not been updated with any of the service packs or updates. I planned on making the update within a few days with a few other goodies, but an issue came up that prompted me to post the update sooner than I intended and remove my 1.4.1 version. Turns out that I provided the mysipinfo.txt file with my data in the 1.4.1 update by accident.

While I believe that 99.5% of this community wouldn't take advantage of that, I know that there are some that would. I couldn't publicly announce that at the time until I could fix it. Quite honestly, I didn't plan on mentioning it at all except for the whole virus accusation. I do a lot for the community here and didn't want my good name smeared. That SIP information is no longer any good, so I don't have any issue divulging that info now.

On a related note, someone did realize that I included that SIp info and tried to gain access to my.magicjack.com. It saddens me that someone would do that after I try to help the community. Regardless, I will not let the actions of a small minority stop me from continuing to contribute here.

man thats fucked. i am the one who contacted you about this telling you that you have included mysipinfo.txt. so all these ppl thinking there was a virus your wrong. look at this link if you think there is a virus http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/de5d3d1fbccd5695e8c149a72595ac9e
that really pisses me off that someone could take your info like that after you release a program for everyone else. if i were you i would STOP this project asap or not stop it just not release any more updates to the public.
and also what pisses me off is that everyone is accusing you of trying to send them a virus. if you guys are worried please dont download and dont bother commenting. another thing that kinda pisses me off is that i found the info first but im not a total jackass and called him up and told him that he did release his info.
Predator04
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stroths wrote:
elschus wrote:

You have a good point and while I agree, I don't necessarily want MJ to know exactly what I am doing specifically so they can't make a small change here or there to circumvent it. However, I will agree to a compromise to ease anyone's mind. I am willing to release my code to a select few here that I have worked with in the past to show I am not trying to do anything like that. I would trust this information to people like HolmanGT, VaHam and Trebuin. These are respected members of this community and I think they would be good choices.

Let me know what you all think.

Dont release the code. theres no need to. your program works end of story. if they think ur trying to steal their info they dont need to download it. im surprised you would still continue your work after all this. i know you want to help but when the ppl come and take ur info that's when you have to say thats enuf. think about it

edit* since you still have the physical mj you should be able to get your account back. check with mj live chat. if you want do it i can try for you

Last edited by Predator04 on Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
stroths

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Predator04 was the one who called me and his integrity impressed me. Less honest people would have taken over my acct. Even though he doesn't have a high post count here, he is rated high in my book.

You can imagine my surprise when I get a call asking if I'm the one who created the app. I was thinking, how the hell did he get my number...lol.

I seriously considered stopping development on the app with the headaches this has caused. That included being bashed by one member, having another accusing me of distributing a virus and then someone trying to take advantage of my SIP info and gain access to my MJ account. I have done nothing but helped and devoted a large amount of time to a tool I don't even use. Then I thought about all the good people here and all those who have expressed their appreciation. I'll continue to do updates as I have time providing I don't get too many future headaches to make it not worth my time.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stroths wrote:
I don't necessarily want MJ to know exactly what I am doing specifically so they can't make a small change here or there to circumvent it.

I was thinking about what "magichack" wrote. It seems dumb the way MJ is trying to hide the credentials. There's nothing they'll ever be able to do to keep them hidden. Even if they keep they don't go through the process of decrypting and recrypting, they'd still have to decrypt it in memory to use it. At that moment someone could obtain it.

They ought to just use the user-agent, and have zero tolerance for anyone connecting with the wrong agent. Stop playing around. If MJ doesn't want people to use an ATA device, just enforce it.

Mark
pagemen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't understand why MJ dislike an ATA...so they can sell their overpriced dongle?

if, like many voip providers, mj makes money when user receives a call, they should encourage BYOD, so users will be more likely to keep the mj running 24x7, instead of just using it for outgoing long distance calls.
sinstatecycle
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: I figured this out..Worked GREAT. Thanks again

First of all thanks for this... I am having a problem. I can stop the MJ ok with the software but when I attempt to start my mj with the program it says "Invalid Path3 in Config.ini". It also says it when attempting to grab the sip info. Is path3 the usb drive letter? if so I have it correct. FWIW I just plugged this in today and probably have the latest software.

Thanks for your time!

Last edited by sinstatecycle on Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pagemen wrote:
i don't understand why MJ dislike an ATA...so they can sell their overpriced dongle?

Maybe it's as simple as wanting to enforce the ToS. I know they haven't sold any third-party ads. However,

1. Maybe they still have plans, and therefore need to keep this from spinning out of control.

2. Maybe they're using the info they collect via the softphone for other purposes. Someone mentioned that MJ might be selling the info to someone like Google.

I wish MJ would move on to selling an ATA service that they don't expect to be ad-based. Even if it costs more. What's going on now seems dumb. They're playing an unwinnable game (hiding the credentials) when they have more definite tools available to stop ATA use. The time they spend on the game must take away from adding features.

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: