magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

suggestions for landline + magicjack setup?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
majorleap
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: suggestions for landline + magicjack setup? Reply with quote

I would like to keep my landline for now (mostly for 911 easy access, if needed) and use magicjack for long distance calling.

I've found a bunch of manual 2-way rj11 switches. Does anyone have any other suggestions for using both a landline and a magicjack?

Thanks in advance.
redpepper
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I personally use a Panasonic 2-line corded phone for the exact configuration you are describing. I have a landline on line 1 and a magicJack line on line 2.

It also has a built in speakerphone and has a handy conference call button for setting up 3 way calling using the 2 lines if needed. Each line has a light that comes on when a call comes in so you know what line to pick up.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you decide to keep your land line there is no need for Magic Jack, yo can use Google Voice instead.
Cell phone/MJ is a good combo, landline/MJ makes no real sense.
maine-iac
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cell14 wrote:
If you decide to keep your land line there is no need for Magic Jack, yo can use Google Voice instead.

Perhaps it doesn't make sense to you, but using magicjack as a cheap second line is one of its benefits.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Perhaps it doesn't make sense to you, but using magicjack as a cheap second line is one of its benefits.

Agreed, but it is indeed the second or secondary line then. You have a full featured, not bare bone, first line and use MJ as a second line ( or additional lines)- a great combination for a small business.
I still do not see much sense in OP's setting.
Kenny2469
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 2-line Uniden cordless phone setup that works great...

Giving MagicJack a trial for a year before I decide to nuke my landline...

2 months in, and all is good... A few minor glitches, but whatever, im saving a fortune so I can deal with that...
jetaray
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cell14 wrote:

Cell phone/MJ may be a good combo for most, but it is definitely not for everyone. I can only assume you live in an area with good cellular reception. The town where my parents live has little or no cellular service; it would be unlikely they could use that combination and get good cell phone service. It is simply because of the geographical location of the town, it is in a deep valley similar to those who live in communities at the base of mountain ranges. Also cable telephone and some VOIP services still have problems because its infrastructure is not of the same quality of the local land line system. In the future I am sure it will improve, but I think it may be a few more years before it become as reliable as a land line.

At my current location I would never give up a land line, sure it cost about $30 a month for local service but the dependability/reliability can not be beat. Cable phone service in the same location is OK, but has yet proven to be as reliable. We use a netTALK 6000 for all long distance calls (free calls for the life of the product). The land line cost less then typical cell phone service and has unlimited local call minutes. The only real difference is the cell phone allows portability, not something I need at this time. The simple fact is, it really depends on your location and types of calling you do as to whether or not a cell phone is a cost effective way get phone service.

A hard land line may very well be the best option for the original poster. I would suggest a quality 2 line cordless phone to simplify using two lines.
galcv2
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: suggestions for landline + magicjack setup? Reply with quote

majorleap wrote:
I would like to keep my landline for now (mostly for 911 easy access, if needed) and use magicjack for long distance calling.

I've found a bunch of manual 2-way rj11 switches. Does anyone have any other suggestions for using both a landline and a magicjack?

Thanks in advance.

I just downgraded my AT&T landline to the basic line plan (local only), it's the cheapest thing without canceling it and I'm using a two line phone corded/wireless. I still have my reliable phone service and I'm saving�
goob
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a landline but am in an area where I get good cell phone reception. I eventually canceled the landline after realizing that in my ... ummm ... many years of existence not once did I ever have to call 911. I'm not saying I won't have to in the future, but I figure the odds of having to do so are very slim, and the odds are even slimmer that my voip AND cell phone services will all be down right when a 911 call is needed, assuming that ever happens.

For those who have greater odds of needing 911 service, such as households with older folks or anyone with exceptional medical needs or anyone in a high crime area, dropping a landline might not be the best idea.

I can't say I'd recommend using only google voice as the long distance carrier. I've had a few problems with call quality when using gv. I still love the service and started using it as my main number, but the call quality isn't always ideal. A few times I had to redial to get calls to go through.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can't say I'd recommend using only google voice as the long distance carrier. I've had a few problems with call quality when using gv. I still love the service and started using it as my main number, but the call quality isn't always ideal. A few times I had to redial to get calls to go through.

GV with land line works well most of the time. GV with VOIP or cell phone less so. But again, most cell phone plans give you free domestic long distance and for international calls both from my cell and magic jack , billing by the second and a phone bill, no prepaid rip off.
Every situation is different. If you live in an area without a decent wireless service a land line makes sense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: