magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Switch from MJ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Alternatives to magicJack
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ST Dog
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:10 am    Post subject: Switch from MJ? Reply with quote

I'd like to switch to a device that doesn't require a computer running full time, yet is simple enough that my wife can manage to reset things when needed.
Oh, I want to keep my phone number.

I currently have MJ on an old laptop but I really need to free up the space.

Considered NetTalk, but no way to port my current number.

The OBi 100 looks promising, but how to keep my number?

What other options are there?
Pablo123
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

netTALK is the way to go! If you don't want to lose your number, port it over to numbergarage.com or onesuite.com and then have that number forward to your Nettalk device.
genxweb
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use obi with many voip providers. For example you can port to my service. The issue is MJ makes porting a night literally. They try everything to avoid you leaving them. The spelling and grammar of your address and name have to be exact for them to release and you have to have the correct PIN to release as well.

I suggest you look at voip providers that provide you the SIP settings. Ocne you find one make a decision and move over to the obi it is a great product. Then you wont be tied down
ST Dog
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genxweb, your service was one I was looking at.

But I'm concerned about the limits. I sent an email from the webstite about.

With a teen in the house, 1500 minutes a month (50/day) will go quick. Not as fast as when I was a teen, since FB and other social media take some of the brunt, but I've looked at my MJ records and see many hour plus calls even on the same day. I've had to cut him off several times.

Pablo, both of those services have per minute charges for forwarding call.
Could get pricy after a while.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Switch from MJ? Reply with quote

ST Dog wrote:
I'd like to switch to a device that doesn't require a computer running full time, yet is simple enough that my wife can manage to reset things when needed.
Oh, I want to keep my phone number.

I currently have MJ on an old laptop but I really need to free up the space.

Considered NetTalk, but no way to port my current number.

What other options are there?

I will get jumped on ALL over for this, but....

If you are happy with the way your MJ works, I would wait for the MJ Plus.

1) If they follow through with what they are saying, you will be able to port your current # to it. I suppose they could screw it up, but you would think this would be one thing they could easily do.

2) Every indication is that they are going to use the same infrastructure they are using with the MJ. If you are happy with your call quality, have no numbers being blocked and the wife can easily reset MJ when needed, the Plus "should" work just as well for you.

3) There is no way to tell what issues you will have with a new system.

I would encourage you to visit the other products forums to see what issues come up and how well they are solved. Bear in mind that they all have a small fraction of users compared to MJ. I haven't visited them in a while but both NetTalk and Obi had about the same number of issues as MJ, but were having fewer serious issues, no call blocking being the biggest one. But looking at some of the Obi solutions, I'm not sure how easy the fixes would be for your wife. Some of them look like you need an associates degree in computer programming to get them into your system correctly.
ST Dog
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than the computer, I have a lot of issues with MJ when my wife call me. I get a lot of DTMF beeps on the recieving end when she calls me from the MJ, especially when she call me at work (which has a CISCO VoIP system).

She says other people don't have as much trouble when she calls them(or they don't mention it?), and we never had the problem for the year I used it to call her from out of state.

I don't expect MJ+ to be any better.

I'm hoping a better quality device will fix that problem.

As for resetting, it's just reboot the computer. She learned to do that running Windows like all other windows users have.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ST Dog wrote:
Other than the computer, I have a lot of issues with MJ when my wife call me. I get a lot of DTMF beeps on the recieving end when she calls me from the MJ, especially when she call me at work (which has a CISCO VoIP system).

She says other people don't have as much trouble when she calls them(or they don't mention it?), and we never had the problem for the year I used it to call her from out of state.

I don't expect MJ+ to be any better.

I'm hoping a better quality device will fix that problem.

As for resetting, it's just reboot the computer. She learned to do that running Windows like all other windows users have.

MJ not giving you good quality calls certainly seems like a much better reason for switching than needing space on a computer.

A lot of Obi users use it with GoogleVoice, which does allow number porting. Last I checked they only allowed it for cell phone numbers, but my MJ number shows up as a cell phone number when I look it up, so you might be able to port it to GV, or they may have started allowing porting on all numbers.
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I gave up my number a long time ago and made the switch to Google Voice. If you don't like that solution, you can always go to Ooma, which is what I did. I use a combination of Skype/Ooma/Google Voice, along with some others to get what I want.

For example, I use Grasshopper to take calls from my real estate business and route them to Google Voice. I then have a specific message in GV for only calls that come in from my Grasshopper number.

Maybe way more than you're trying to do, but GV gives you huge flexibility.
ST Dog
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:

MJ not giving you good quality calls certainly seems like a much better reason for switching than needing space on a computer.

Not space on a computer, but the space that the computer take up and just having it turned on all the time. Physical space is a premium, and currently I don't have a lot.

Running windows means constant updates and reboots, so I cannot just shove it in a corner out of the way. It has to be accessible for regular maintenance.

Quote:

A lot of Obi users use it with GoogleVoice, which does allow number porting. Last I checked they only allowed it for cell phone numbers, but my MJ number shows up as a cell phone number when I look it up, so you might be able to port it to GV, or they may have started allowing porting on all numbers.

Nope. When I give my number to GV it says "Unfortunately there are no Google Voice setup options available for this mobile phone number at this time. Click on the Back button below to setup Google Voice with a new number"

Darkman,
Ooma is out of my price range.

As for giving up the number, my wife says no. She's finally managed to learn this one (after 10+ years with the same number in another state) and that took 2+ years. Not to mention all the updates that are just now being completed with the change

If I knew how long OBi+GV would remain as it is that's be the best route.
Still the problem of out going calls displaying a different number that the one given out.

I just want something for around $5/mo that doesn't have a low limit on talk time. VoIPMyWay at $60/yr would be great if not for the limited minutes and a teenager in the house. Past posts here discuss a per minute surcharge if that is exceeded, but the current TOS doesn't mention it.

Maybe genxweb will respond here, via PM, or email and clarify things better.

In the mean time I'll continue to look for other options and see if I can find something I'm comfortable with.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ST Dog wrote:

Nope. When I give my number to GV it says "Unfortunately there are no Google Voice setup options available for this mobile phone number at this time. Click on the Back button below to setup Google Voice with a new number"

I got the same message playing with it now with my MJ number. I also tried it with my TracPhone cell number which was ported from T-Mobile and received the same message. So it appears they might have a narrow range of cell providers they port from, or maybe the system is down or something else is going on.
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just want something for around $5/mo that doesn't have a low limit on talk time.

You may just be out of luck. Respectfully, you want an awful lot for five bucks. I have the Skype premium version for just around $5/month. I believe I get some crazy number, like 10,000 minutes.

But to get your number ported, not have your computer running, high usage, low monthly $$$, etc. may be asking for a bit much. It's like the old saying, "Everyone wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die".

Also, it just occurred to me, you could use your existing MJ dongle with Red Pepper's SkypeJack to use Skype with a regular phone. Doesn't resolve the other issues but it's a nice work around to the headset/mic set up.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Switch from MJ? Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:

Why the MJ+ is a new device more like NetTalk so how could you compare your MJ with it?

nailgunner wrote:
1) If they follow through with what they are saying, you will be able to port your current # to it. I suppose they could screw it up, but you would think this would be one thing they could easily do.

Smile If. I am still waiting for Linux support, BYOD, fermtocell and so many other MJ promises which have never come!
nailgunner wrote:
2) Every indication is that they are going to use the same infrastructure they are using with the MJ. If you are happy with your call quality, have no numbers being blocked and the wife can easily reset MJ when needed, the Plus "should" work just as well for you.

As long as you have no friends in Alaska or other places being blocked and don't mind having your calls dropped every 15 hours or whatever they limit is today. I think it has been as low as 30 minutes and as high as 2 hours in the past.
nailgunner wrote:

MJ+ is a new system and so with respect to it your correct. NetTalk and OBi's are not new and if you have network troubles with an OBi you can just choose a different network provider.
nailgunner wrote:
I would encourage you to visit the other products forums to see what issues come up and how well they are solved. Bear in mind that they all have a small fraction of users compared to MJ. I haven't visited them in a while but both NetTalk and Obi had about the same number of issues as MJ, but were having fewer serious issues, no call blocking being the biggest one.

I mean seriously "NetTalk and Obi had about the same number of issues as MJ" are you kidding! How many problems of MJ are that the user cannot get a phone call period vs some pop click or obtuse problem? See USB power issues, error 20, "please insert disk into drive" and all the other errors which keep MJ from functioning at all not to mention the quality related issues often related to process priority and QOS.

Oh and then there are the MJ's ever helpful pushed updates; with the OBi the web portal lets you know updates are available but you choose when or if to install them. And to do that requires the oh so complicated process of clicking your mouse on the update icon.

Show me OBi solutions to some problems not related to a user trying to make use of special powerful added capabilities available in the OBi; and not available in either MJ or NetTalk.

nailgunner wrote:
But looking at some of the Obi solutions, I'm not sure how easy the fixes would be for your wife. Some of them look like you need an associates degree in computer programming to get them into your system correctly.

Again what fix to a problem and not some special application of the device are you talking about? The basic setup of an OBi, using it's web portal, a 10 year old could do. Of coarse if you have never tried it you wouldn't know how easy it is! You can do some fancy things with an OBi and some of the really fancy things get more complicated to configure but none of that is required to have a system which has many more features than MJ or NetTalk out of the box.

At least both NetTalk and OBi provide a forum for their customers. This forum exists because MJ does not!
ST Dog
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkman90808 wrote:
Quote:
I just want something for around $5/mo that doesn't have a low limit on talk time.

You may just be out of luck. Respectfully, you want an awful lot for five bucks. I have the Skype premium version for just around $5/month. I believe I get some crazy number, like 10,000 minutes.

Doesn't hurt to try Wink

Really, I'm just trying to fix the MJ voice issues my wife has and loose the PC/laptop, maintaining the rest on par with MJ, ie minutes available and cost.

I'm not convinced that for another $1/mo the DUO will solve the voice quality issues, and I cannot port the number. Sure, lots of work arounds for that, but they all have added costs.

Paying a fee to port the number is fine, provided I can do that after I check the service out.

I've got a few options I'm looking into now.

As I said before an OBi100 with VoIPMyWay would be perfect is not for a teen and the attendant call length. Have a few ideas there too.

Last edited by ST Dog on Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
ST Dog
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Switch from MJ? Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
ST Dog wrote:
yet is simple enough that my wife can manage to reset things when needed

I'm not sure how easy the fixes would be for your wife.

As long as 90% of the fixes are a simple power cycle/rest kind of thing she's fine. If I can remotely login to the website to adjust things that's OK.

She can reset the router/DSL "modem" which solves most of the DSL issues. But logging in to the router via a browser or telnet and reconfiguring settings is a bit beyond what she' willing to do. (She could learn but won't)
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think Ooma would be your best bet. Once you bite the bullet and pay for the hardware, the monthly for their basic service is $3.68. That includes 5,000 minutes. Also, they charge a nominal fee to port your number, but it's do-able. If you shop around, you can usually find a deal.

http://www.ooma.com/products/faqs
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Switch from MJ? Reply with quote

Damn, what took you so long? Cool

VaHam wrote:
nailgunner wrote:

Why the MJ+ is a new device more like NetTalk so how could you compare your MJ with it?

It's a new device, not a new infrastructure. I feel fairly certain that with the good quality calls I get on the regular one, I will also get good quality calls on the Plus.

VaHam wrote:
nailgunner wrote:

Smile If. I am still waiting for Linux support, BYOD, fermtocell and so many other MJ promises which have never come!/

Since they ALREADY do porting, it's not a far stretch for most people with common sense to assume it will be available with the Plus as mentioned in most of the reviews.

VaHam wrote:
nailgunner wrote:

As long as you have no friends in Alaska or other places being blocked

Ummm, reading comprehension not doing so well these days? I think I covered that with the "have no numbers being blocked" part of what you quoted from me?

VaHam wrote:
nailgunner wrote:

MJ+ is a new system and so with respect to it your correct. NetTalk and OBi's are not new and if you have network troubles with an OBi you can just choose a different network provider.

I meant new system to HIM. Just because you are happy with the call quality on one doesn't mean you will get the same quality on the other. I have seen posts on both other forums lamenting that exact issue.

VaHam wrote:
nailgunner wrote:
I would encourage you to visit the other products forums to see what issues come up and how well they are solved. Bear in mind that they all have a small fraction of users compared to MJ. I haven't visited them in a while but both NetTalk and Obi had about the same number of issues as MJ, but were having fewer serious issues, no call blocking being the biggest one.

I mean seriously "NetTalk and Obi had about the same number of issues as MJ" are you kidding! How many problems of MJ are that the user cannot get a phone call period vs some pop click or obtuse problem? See USB power issues, error 20, "please insert disk into drive" and all the other errors which keep MJ from functioning at all not to mention the quality related issues often related to process priority and QOS.
Oh and then there are the MJ's ever helpful pushed updates; with the OBi the web portal lets you know updates are available but you choose when or if to install them. And to do that requires the oh so complicated process of clicking your mouse on the update icon.

Show me OBi solutions to some problems not related to a user trying to make use of special powerful added capabilities available in the OBi; and not available in either MJ or NetTalk.

Read my sentence real slow. The same number, not the same kind and seriousness. Add up the number of DIFFERENT issues posted here in the last 30 days, and then add the DIFFERENT number of issues on the other forums in the last 30 days. They are about the same QUANTITY. I even stated in my original posting NetTalk and Obi:

"were having fewer serious issues"

Of course, how serious an issue is usually depends on whether it effects a user or not. What is serious to user "A", is probably nothing to users "B-Z". There is a recent WARNING posting in here that makes that point.

VaHam wrote:
nailgunner wrote:
But looking at some of the Obi solutions, I'm not sure how easy the fixes would be for your wife. Some of them look like you need an associates degree in computer programming to get them into your system correctly.

Again what fix to a problem and not some special application of the device are you talking about? You can do some fancy things with an OBi and some of the really fancy things get more complicated to configure but none of that is required to have a system which has many more features than MJ or NetTalk out of the box.

I guess the REALLY FANCY one that jumped out at me was this one for getting it to call an emergency number when you dial 911:

"The default action of the Obi110 is for 911 calls to go out on the LINE port unchanged. This guide covers the 3 most common desired changes to the 911 setting.

This is the full default OutboundCallRoute for firmware 1.2.0 (Build: 2101), it may be shortened in the examples below.
{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<#:>|911):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2}
,{(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

A -- If your SIP provider has 911 service and you just need to direct 911 to the proper SIP line,
this edit will change the default action so 911 calls will go out on a designated SIP line.

Setup Wizard > Outbound Settings > Phone OutboundCallRoute

default call route
...,{(<#:>|911):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2} .....

edit the first rule to remove the default 911 routing - remove |911
...,{(<#:>):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2} .....

add the new rule - add {911:spX}, - substitute the desired sp designation (sp1 or sp2) for spX

...,{911:spX},{<#:>:li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2} .....
no spaces, and note the comma between the rules

B -- If you want to set it so that pressing 911 dials an alternate number, and sends the call out on a
designated SIP line, make this edit to the Phone's OutboundCallRoute

default call route
...,{(<#:>|911):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2} .....

edit the first rule to remove the default 911 routing - remove |911
...,{(<#:>):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2} .....

add the new rule - add {(<911:1xxxxxxxxxx>):spX}, - (substitute your desired number for xxxxxxxxxx,
and the desired SIP line designation represented by spX)

...,{(<911:1xxxxxxxxxx>):spX},{(<#:>):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2} .....
no spaces, and note the comma between the rules

C -- If you want the call to remain going out on the LINE port but want it to dial an alternate number
instead of 911, you can make this small edit to the Phone's OutboundCallRoute.

default call route

edit to this - add the desired alternate number & the appropriate symbols (< > (<911:1xxxxxxxxxx>
substitute your desired number for xxxxxxxxxx

...,{(<#:>)|(<911:1xxxxxxxxxx>):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2} .....

**Note: Pressing # on your phone's keypad will connect you directly to the LINE port.
From there you can place a 911 call normally, if you have service on that line that provides 911 service"

A lot of consumers I know would look at that and cry. Of course if you want to classify calling 911 from your home phone a "special application" then I will have to concede your point. Of course we would have to ignore the fact that it's a standard feature on MJ. And since it's been ages since anyone has posted a 911 issue with their MJ, they appear to have handled it fairly well, with no "special applications" necessary (I know, which is a good thing since you can't do special applications on MJ).
ST Dog
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Switch from MJ? Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:

I guess the REALLY FANCY one that jumped out at me was this one for getting it to call an emergency number when you dial 911:

"The default action of the Obi110 is for 911 calls to go out on the LINE port unchanged. This guide covers the 3 most common desired changes to the 911 setting.

Don't see that as an issue for the OBi100 as it doesn't have a line port.

Even then, it's not something my wife would even need to mess with. First I'd set it up, if for some reason it needed changed I could make the changes remote.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Switch from MJ? Reply with quote

ST Dog wrote:

Even then, it's not something my wife would even need to mess with. First I'd set it up, if for some reason it needed changed I could make the changes remote.

There is a separate configuration for the 100 following the 110 instructions which looks just as, if not more, confusing:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=339.0

I wasn't saying it would be an issue for your wife or you, was just responding to VaHam as to one of the not-so-easy fixes. Although at my advanced age, I would probably concede his point that a 10 year old could do it quicker than me.

Edit: Just so that I'm clear. My only point is that if you are happy with MJ, which you later said you weren't, I wouldn't automatically switch to another system with the Plus "around" the corner, "any day now". There are issues with them all, as any honest read of their forums will tell you. If I start having issues with MJ, I will drop it in a heartbeat. But until that day, I'm sticking with it and may switch to the Plus because I know the devil I'm working with.

Last edited by nailgunner on Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
ST Dog
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkman90808 wrote:
I still think Ooma would be your best bet. Once you bite the bullet and pay for the hardware, the monthly for their basic service is $3.68.

Plus another $3.50/mo in fees/taxes.

$40 is a bit more than a nominal fee for porting.

Looks like $80 if you want to activate used equipment.

That's a pretty big bullet there.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
Ummm, reading comprehension not doing so well these days? I think I covered that with the "have no numbers being blocked" part of what you quoted from me?

Yeah like an entire state! Rolling Eyes

nailgunner wrote:
I meant new system to HIM. Just because you are happy with the call quality on one doesn't mean you will get the same quality on the other. I have seen posts on both other forums lamenting that exact issue.

I can't even understand what you were trying to say here because of your English. What is your point?

nailgunner wrote:
Read my sentence real slow. The same number, not the same kind and seriousness. Add up the number of DIFFERENT issues posted here in the last 30 days, and then add the DIFFERENT number of issues on the other forums in the last 30 days. They are about the same QUANTITY. I even stated in my original posting NetTalk and Obi:

Yes and trying to give a false impression by stating that the "quantity" is about the same, and I don't even agree with you on that, to give the impression that problems are equal is disingenuous.

nailgunner wrote:

Yes the OBi is designed to use the line port for making 911 calls just like a linksys or any number of other ATA's which have a line port. This is a great feature for those wishing to plug their POTS line into the device and have their telephone work with both their land line and voip. Now tell me how a MJ or NT would allow me to have the comfort of using the reliability of my POTS 911 for 911 calls?

The Obi has the flexibility to change that if the user has no land line or other voip device like the ooma,NT or MJ for 911.

If cut and paste from the info you just provided from the OBi forum is too hard for you then maybe you better stick with POTS or MJ. But I would not want to bet my life on MJ! Rolling Eyes
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Switch from MJ? Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
ST Dog wrote:

There is a separate configuration for the 100 following the 110 instructions which looks just as, if not more, confusing:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=339.0

I wasn't saying it would be an issue for your wife or you, was just responding to VaHam as to one of the not-so-easy fixes. Although at my advanced age, I would probably concede his point that a 10 year old could do it quicker than me.

Edit: Just so that I'm clear. My only point is that if you are happy with MJ, which you later said you weren't, I wouldn't automatically switch to another system with the Plus "around" the corner, "any day now". There are issues with them all, as any honest read of their forums will tell you. If I start having issues with MJ, I will drop it in a heartbeat. But until that day, I'm sticking with it and may switch to the Plus because I know the devil I'm working with.

Yes the OBi allows you to configure it to call your local emergency number directly when making a 911 call. Now how do you do that with MJ or NT? Directly
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Plus another $3.50/mo in fees/taxes.

Unh, unh.... that's it - $3.68 for the fees and taxes. I believe it changes a few pennies, depending on your zipcode, for some reason. Prolly local fees and taxes. Forty bucks may be high compared to other services, but IMO, you get what you pay for. I've been very happy with my Ooma service. I use it as I would any other land line with two DECT 6.0 phones and the OomaTelco phone.

You mentioned teenagers, so with the premier service and two lines, it works just like having a second phone in the house. Downside: I think their fax capabilities may be a little sketchy. I lost patience early on and quit fooling with it.

For $15 a month, two phone lines, 5,000 minutes of talk time and total control over my incoming calls, to me it's a bargain. FWIW, I have tested a variety of high end mic devices and nothing even comes close to the Telco handset in speakerphone mode. I was originally disappointed because it does not come with a headset jack (WTH??!) so I use it either with the bluetooth adapter and a Motorola SD-9 headset or speakerphone mode.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VaHam wrote:
nailgunner wrote:

Yeah like an entire state!

And that adds what to my initial response to him? If he isn't being blocked now, he most likely won't be with the Plus. If he is being blocked now, he most likely will with the Plus and wouldn't want to upgrade.

VaHam wrote:
nailgunner wrote:

I can't even understand what you were trying to say here because of your English. What is your point?

Holy smokes, okay. I'll speak reallll slowwww for you this time. Just because you are happy with one VOIP system, lets say MJ, doesn't translate into you being happy with another VOIP system, lets say Obi. So maybe, just maybe, it's possible you may be going from a system you love to one you hate. So IF Obi is a new system to HIM, there may be a whole different set of issues he could face by switching to a new system for HIM, and might want to switch to the Plus, IF HE HAS NO ISSUES WITH MJ. Geeze

VaHam wrote:
nailgunner wrote:

Yes and trying to give a false impression by stating that the "quantity" is about the same, and I don't even agree with you on that, to give the impression that problems are equal is disingenuous.

I'm trying to give a false impression when in the next sentence I say the NT and Obi issues are not as serious as MJ? Okie dokie.

VaHam wrote:
nailgunner wrote:

Yes the OBi is designed to use the line port for making 911 calls just like a linksys or any number of other ATA's which have a line port. This is a great feature for those wishing to plug their POTS line into the device and have their telephone work with both their land line and voip. Now tell me how a MJ or NT would allow me to have the comfort of using the reliability of my POTS 911 for 911 calls?

The Obi has the flexibility to change that if the user has no land line or other voip device like the ooma,NT or MJ for 911.

I never said Obi wasn't a better system and didn't offer more flexibility. You said it could all be handled by a 10 year old. I said there are fixes, and showed you one, that will make some consumers cry. You are not being honest if you think that there aren't a lot of consumers out there that would look at that posted response in the Obi forum and give up.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Switch from MJ? Reply with quote

VaHam wrote:

Yes the OBi allows you to configure it to call your local emergency number directly when making a 911 call. Now how do you do that with MJ or NT? Directly

That's not the issue. I have never stated Obi wasn't a better product or offered more flexibility than MJ. I was just responding to YOUR assertion that there were no fixes that some users might find a tad confusing, other than "Really Fancy" ones, in your own words. If you want to assert that wanting 911 is "Real Fancy" or that the posted solutions in the Obi forum are not a bit complicated, than I concede your point.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:

Holy smokes, okay. I'll speak reallll slowwww for you this time. Just because you are happy with one VOIP system, lets say MJ, doesn't translate into you being happy with another VOIP system, lets say Obi. So maybe, just maybe, it's possible you may be going from a system you love to one you hate. So IF Obi is a new system to HIM, there may be a whole different set of issues he could face by switching to a new system for HIM, and might want to switch to the Plus, IF HE HAS NO ISSUES WITH MJ. Geeze

Uh the MJ+ would be a new system. Both the OBi and NT have a track record.

nailgunner wrote:

VaHam wrote:

I'm trying to give a false impression when in the next sentence I say the NT and Obi issues are not as serious as MJ? Okie dokie.

And so what was the point you were trying to make with your statement?

VaHam wrote:
nailgunner wrote:

nailgunner wrote:
I never said Obi wasn't a better system and didn't offer more flexibility. You said it could all be handled by a 10 year old. I said there are fixes, and showed you one, that will make some consumers cry. You are not being honest if you think that there aren't a lot of consumers out there that would look at that posted response in the Obi forum and give up.

"Make some consumers cry" Rolling Eyes A bit heavy on the theatrics isn't it. I think cut and paste is possible for most users who may want to make use of enhanced features, if not then they should stick with POTS.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VaHam wrote:

"Make some consumers cry" Rolling Eyes A bit heavy on the theatrics isn't it.

Not really. I see what happens to some people I know when they hit the wrong button on their cable remote.

But this is getting BEYOND ridiculous.

If there are MJ users out there that have great call service with their regular MJ, chances are very good that the Plus will give you the same quality call service, and you might want to consider waiting until it comes out if you were thinking of switching.

If there are others who insist that there would never be a scenario to keep MJ and switch to the Plus, instead of going to another system with possible issues that a user doesn't currently have, whatever.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
If there are MJ users out there that have great call service with their regular MJ, chances are very good that the Plus will give you the same quality call service, and you might want to consider waiting until it comes out if you were thinking of switching.

If there are others who insist that there would never be a scenario to keep MJ and switch to the Plus, instead of going to another system with possible issues that a user doesn't currently have, whatever.

The OP was looking for alternatives to MJ. So keeping the MJ isn't a part of the discussion. MJ+ maybe one alternative if/when is released but given the serious problems with the current MJ I hold little faith that it will be a good product either. At this point it is vapor-ware and if it is released it will be an unknown for sometime.

Both the NT and OBi have good track records without the serious problems of MJ.

In my view the OBi gets the nod because of it flexibility and the fact that your not locked to a single provider in the future.

From a cost view point if you use only GV then your service is provided for free.

If you choose to you can add a paid voip provider of your choice. I think the current price for a year of voipmyway service is $60 or $5/month. About 2X MJ+ but you can also either spoof your GV number for CID or port an existing number for $15 which is much less than MJ charges. Not to mention all the services you have which are not available with MJ or I would assume with MJ+ either.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VaHam wrote:

The OP was looking for alternatives to MJ. So keeping the MJ isn't a part of the discussion.
Who said it was?

VaHam wrote:
MJ+ maybe one alternative if/when is released but given the serious problems with the current MJ I hold little faith that it will be a good product either.
Who gives a rats ass about your or my opinion on the current MJ if it is working great for them? I'm truly sorry it didn't work great for you. I feel for you that you wasted time and money on it. But other than your opinion that it's a piece of crap, what makes you think the Plus won't work as well as the regular MJ for those who like the regular MJ? Is it that you don't think we can really be that happy with the regular MJ? Are we just too dumb to know when we are actually getting crappy calls? Or does your apparent blind hatred for Dan and all things MJ refuse to allow you to believe that some of us could like it, or shhhh, even love it?

VaHam wrote:

In my view the OBi gets the nod because of it flexibility and the fact that your not locked to a single provider in the future.

From a cost view point if you use only GV then your service is provided for free.
I'm not suggesting that those with major MJ issues should expect a major-free Plus experience. I am suggesting the opposite.

I just wouldn't throw out the baby with the bath water if the only reason I was dumping MJ was for physical space in a room. The OP made clear, later, that he had issues with MJ, which is fine, but that wasn't the original premise.

All one has to do is visit the other forums to see issues that others have had and are having with NetTalk, Obi and GoogleVoice.

Maybe you can explain why someone like me, who is very happy with the current MJ, should take the risk on a completely different system when my year is up in November and not either stay with the regular MJ, or switch to the Plus, assuming it's available then? Makes perfect sense to switch if I was or am having issues with MJ, makes absolutely no sense if I continue to be issue free. And that is all I responded to the OP with, nothing more, and you have spent all day arguing with me about.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
Are we just too dumb to know when we are actually getting crappy calls?
Well now that you mention it if you have never tried something else you may be. Smile

VaHam wrote:

nailgunner wrote:
I'm not suggesting that those with major MJ issues should expect a major-free Plus experience. I am suggesting the opposite.

I just wouldn't throw out the baby with the bath water if the only reason I was dumping MJ was for physical space in a room. The OP made clear, later, that he had issues with MJ, which is fine, but that wasn't the original premise.

What part of "I'd like to switch to a device that doesn't require a computer running full time" did you not understand in his opening statement. So the baby (MJ, as you seem to believe) was already being thrown out! And since MJ+ is a different animal then MJ is not a part of the conisderation for choosing an alternative. Three other good existing alternatives are the Ooma, NT and Obi but you suggest he wait for an unproven MJ+.

nailgunner wrote:
All one has to do is visit the other forums to see issues that others have had and are having with NetTalk, Obi and GoogleVoice.

Yes and they pale in comparison to the existing MJ and the best indicator we have of the future is the past. Just look at all the fatal problems MJ has had and how many places they block, not to mention the time limit on calls. You again disengenusly attempt to infer that problems of others are comparable to MJ's which is simply not the case. Let others judge for themselves.

nailgunner wrote:
Maybe you can explain why someone like me, who is very happy with the current MJ, should take the risk on a completely different system when my year is up in November and not either stay with the regular MJ, or switch to the Plus, assuming it's available then? Makes perfect sense to switch if I was or am having issues with MJ, makes absolutely no sense if I continue to be issue free. And that is all I responded to the OP with, nothing more, and you have spent all day arguing with me about.

If your going to stick with the current MJ then that is your choice! If your talking about MJ+; it is not the same animal and therefore you would be switching to something else that isn't even available and has no track record.

The OP was looking for good alternatives and to say that something which isn't even on the market is a good choice is BEYOND ridiculous. Rolling Eyes

Ooma, NT and OBi are all alternatives with a track record and therefore legitimate choices.

Again because of features, flexibility, quality and most importantly being able to choose your service provider I recommend the OBi over the others even though I own all of them except the Ooma.
ST Dog
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate everyone's help.
The bickering can stop.

If someone has alternatives to Ooma, NTDuo, or OBi, and other providers for any of them I'd like to hear.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VaHam wrote:
nailgunner wrote:
Are we just too dumb to know when we are actually getting crappy calls?
Well now that you mention it if you have never tried something else you may be.
I've used enough land-lines and cell phones over the years to know the difference between good and bad call quality. But I certainly wouldn't suggest I can assess other peoples call quality better than them.

VaHam wrote:
What part of "I'd like to switch to a device that doesn't require a computer running full time" did you not understand in his opening statement. So the baby (MJ, as you seem to believe) was already being thrown out! And since MJ+ is a different animal then MJ is not a part of the conisderation for choosing an alternative. Three other good existing alternatives are the Ooma, NT and Obi but you suggest he wait for an unproven MJ+.
I understood it all Charlie Brown, which is why I suggested IF he was happy with MJ that waiting for the Plus is an option. He didn't want to keep it running because of needing physical space. Something the Plus will provide as well as NT and Obi.

VaHam wrote:
Yes and they pale in comparison to the existing MJ and the best indicator we have of the future is the past. Just look at all the fatal problems MJ has had and how many places they block, not to mention the time limit on calls. You again disengenusly attempt to infer that problems of others are comparable to MJ's which is simply not the case. Let others judge for themselves.
Others can judge all they want, that is what we do. You don't seem to want anyone to judge the possibility that if their MJ works great, that the Plus will too.

And again, I stated in my first post that MJ issues were more serious for some than the other devices. You are the one who is "disingenuously" suggesting that those who have no problems with MJ will have problems with the Plus because of a device change. The ONLY thing I infer is the ability of the Plus to work as good as the regular MJ on their infrastructure. And if they have zero issues with MJ, any issues they might have with NT or Obi, could be small to you and huge to them. The same way that right now any issues with MJ to me are either non-existent or insignificant, but can be the opposite for others.

It's a different animal, but not that different. It's not like they are going into the digital camera business. The same company/engineering department that produced the device I'm happy with is producing the Plus. The same infrastructure used for the Plus, will in all likelihood, be the same infrastructure being used now by the regular MJ. And to suggest that a current MJ user cannot infer from their experience how a different device produced by the same company will connect and interact with the same servers, etc., is laughable.

Edit: I do know that if these knuckleheads kill off the Plus I will have to register in here under another name. Hopefully I will be more creative than nailgunnerII. And I am not taking suggestions, at this point.

Last edited by nailgunner on Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:51 am; edited 1 time in total
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ST Dog wrote:
The bickering can stop.

If someone has alternatives to Ooma, NTDuo, or OBi, and other providers for any of them I'd like to hear.

This is what bored people with too much time on their hands do. Shocked Hardly anyone reads these after the first page or so anyway.

Good luck on your continued search.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ST Dog wrote:
The bickering can stop.

Well using any unlocked ATA such as ones made by Audiocodes, Linksys, Grandstream or the OBI you can use any of a number of BYOD voip providers. Here is a list of some of them.

I will add one other fairly complex solution which I have running here. I have an old HP T5710 which I originally purchased to host a MJ. I had earlier replaced the flash memory in it with a 4GB microdrive. You can see an article I wrote on that HERE but you can replace the flash memory with any IDE laptop or even one from an old MP3 player (many of the older 20-40 gig ones use laptop type drives) which you can find at thrift stores cheap. If your going to be loading PBX in a Flash (PIAF) on it then you can ignore the instructions regarding software and just look at the pictures to see how to install the flash replacement.

If your using a T5710 you would also need the expansion kit if you use one of the cheap X100P telephone interface cards. I do not particularly recommend one of those cheap cards however since while they can work great they do seem to be problematic. I instead use Linksys SPA to plug my telephone into instead. Of coarse if you do that then you could just enter your sip creds into it and skip the Asterisk for basic function but of coarse you would not have all the neat features afforded by a PBX.

To see some of the things you be missing take a look at http://incrediblepbx.com/. This is not for the novice but rather a Cadillac approach. Of coarse the use of the system is simple and you can manage it remotely in fact there are even CLOUD SOLUTIONS where they provide all the software and you simply control the PBX remotely and use your ATA's to connect to the services.

Anyway you need at least 4GB and, bigger is better, to implement a full blown PIAF Asterisk system including more bells and whistles than you can shake a stick at.
ST Dog
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VaHam wrote:
ST Dog wrote:
The bickering can stop.

Well using any unlocked ATA such as ones made by Audiocodes, Linksys, Grandstream or the OBI you can use any of a number of BYOD voip providers. Here is a list of some of them.

Thanks for that list. Surprised there are that many now.

As for the PBX stuff, recall I'm just looking for home phone service without spending $20+/mo plus long distance fees.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ST Dog wrote:
VaHam wrote:
ST Dog wrote:
The bickering can stop.

Thanks for that list. Surprised there are that many now.

As for the PBX stuff, recall I'm just looking for home phone service without spending $20+/mo plus long distance fees.

The $20, actually available for $15.95/mo with discount, is for a completely managed solution which while it is an alternative it would not be my choice. It may be a choice for someone who wants all the bells and whistles but has more money than expertize.

If you host the PBX yourself the cost is only the cost of power + what ever you run it on. A HP T5710 runs about 11 watts and an ATA probably half that.

It all depends on how fancy you want to get and your skill level. My home system is a PIAF PBX Smile It provides me with tons of things like caller ID lookup, a Fax Server, Call recording, Wake up calls, Reminders and even current weather reports among other stuff.

You were asking for alternatives and although complex as I stated it is an alternative. Smile
ST Dog
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VaHam wrote:
ST Dog wrote:

The $20, actually available for $15.95/mo with discount, is for a completely managed solution which while it is an alternative it would not be my choice.

The $20+/mo I mentioned is the cost of a basic land line, then one adds long distance charges to that. Not related to VoIP options.

Point being, I'm looking for the equivalent of a basic phone line with long distance service at a lower cost. Think 1980s, maybe even 70s service. Just a phone.

I seldom use any features other than just dialing. I don't even use the features MJ provides other than callerID, but I would not pay for that (and never did before the MJ).

No way calling, no call waiting, now callerID on call waiting. My phone stores numbers, so I don't need the service to provide speed dials or phone books. I have an answering machine (integrated in the cordless phone with remote access) so I don't need voicemail either. (MJ's voicemail bugs me as it'll randomly pick up early).

I know it's sort of an oxymoron to use new technology like VoIP to mimic old school POTS, but that's what I'm after.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Alternatives to magicJack All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: