magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

T-Mobile MyFaves & Grand Central

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpamBox
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: T-Mobile MyFaves & Grand Central Reply with quote

Ok so here's what I'm thinking.
1) Get a t-mobile myfaves phone & service along with web access (I currently have t-mobile but not myfaves as my phone doesn't support it)
2) Set my GC number as a myfaves.
3) only give out my GC number as my number so all my incoming calls should go through GC
4) when I want to make an outgoing call on my cell - web browse and access the GC web site and my account and do a "Click2Call". Or if at home just login using my computer.

Now what I need know is what would be a good phone to use. I'm thinking maybe one with a touchscreen (Iphone clones,etc..)

Or does someone know of another carrier who does free incoming even if it's just for one particular number (I think Alltel does but they aren't in Colorado).

I've never used T-mobile for web browsing so I'm not sure how well it's going to work.

Suggestions, Thoughts, etc....
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well....I you get minutes anyway so just use GC to receiver calls. Instead of paying $30 a month more for internet just get a $20 more plan with more minutes and then you don't have to worry abt GC. Keep in mind that GC out will not always be free and there is a limit on how much you can call out.

Kumar...

P.S people come to the chat!!
magichat.bravehost.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SpamBox

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point but the addt'l cost isn't correct as I won't be getting the internet data plan (which is what you need if you want to use your cell as a modem), I would get the web browsing plan (as I would just be using wap on the cell phone itself). Plus I would want to use the web browsing for other things such as google maps, fandango, amazon while I'm brick-n-mortar shopping, etc...
curiousgeorge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

be very carefull with internet over the phone,I read an article about someone using this service thinking it was unlimited and got a huge cell phone bill,I would first call t-m*bile and make sure it is really unlimited service no matter how much you use it(this person was using it as a modem to download large movie files and music)just a thought.
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curiousgeorge wrote:
be very carefull with internet over the phone,I read an article about someone using this service thinking it was unlimited and got a huge cell phone bill,I would first call t-m*bile and make sure it is really unlimited service no matter how much you use it(this person was using it as a modem to download large movie files and music)just a thought.

Ain't that the truth ... I think someone in this Forum or another, mentioned somebody who got a $1,000,000 CDN phone bill (emphasis on the CDN since it is now stronger than the US $ Laughing ) from their Mobile Phone Provider when they thought they had unlimited DATA.

They are now in litigation

Last edited by testing123 on Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
SpamBox

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curiousgeorge wrote:

Have heard that too. Thanks, but again that's the data plan (i.e. using the phone as a modem) and that's not what I plan on doing. There a lower plan for when you're web browsing on your actual phone itself. So not going to be downloading movie or music files.
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpamBox wrote:
curiousgeorge wrote:

Have heard that too. Thanks, but again that's the data plan (i.e. using the phone as a modem) and that's not what I plan on doing. There a lower plan for when you're web browsing on your actual phone itself. So not going to be downloading movie or music files.

Spambox, interesting how you differentiate Data from Browsing ... some providers don't have that distinction ... so be careful. Some even have another distinction when using as a "tethered" or "broadband" modem (Sprint); separate from "Data".

Not a direct response to your inquiry, but I found the possibilities quite interesting of how people have used PDANet to get around this in some situations. (Haven't tried it, just read about it).
SpamBox

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

testing123 wrote:

Spambox, interesting how you differentiate Data from Browsing ... some providers don't have that distinction ... so be careful. Some even have another distinction when using as a "tethered" or "broadband" modem (Sprint); separate from "Data".

Not my definition, theirs. But it does make a lot of sense. WAP-ing on a cell uses hardly any bandwidth while downloading files is going to use a lot.
curiousgeorge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hate to get a phone bill like that and be in court and all that mess Surprised just trying to look out for all my MJ users out there.
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont get whats the diff in internet browsing and what your talking abt....also wat are rates for cingular on this...
Kumar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SpamBox

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so there's web browsing which you are actually browsing on your phone itself. Typically accessing WAP sites.
And then there's using your cell service like a modem, connecting your cell to a laptop or computer.
Two very different things.
The first way doesn't use very much bandwidth.
The second can use a ton (depending on what you're doing, such as file downloads)

If you have just web browsing it's cheaper.
If you have internet access or what some carriers call a data plan, it costs more. Yes with a data plan you can also web browse on your phone, but vice versa if you have a web browsing plan you can't connect your cell to a laptop.

Plain as mud now?
Not sure how else I can make it clearer.

T-Mobile has this distinction between the two and most of the carriers out there do also, though you might have to dig a little deeper. Most would prefer you get the data plan since it costs more, and not even mention web browsing
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, i get it....how much is Tmobile's? and Att wireless?
Thanks
Kumar
SpamBox

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about AT&T, but T-Mobile's is around $39.

But after reading that Sprint has a "home number" option, might just switch over to that, as I can get a sweet deal on Sprint & Nextel
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpamBox wrote:
Don't know about AT&T, but T-Mobile's is around $39.

But after reading that Sprint has a "home number" option, might just switch over to that, as I can get a sweet deal on Sprint & Nextel

SpamBox: Remember that Sprint is CDMA vs. the others who are GSM (better international coverage). Just in case you travel outside the US and that matters to you.

According to this post it is $5 for Personal / $8 for Business account.
SpamBox

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

testing123 wrote:

SpamBox: Remember that Sprint is CDMA vs. the others who are GSM (better international coverage). Just in case you travel outside the US and that matters to you.

Thankfully most of my overseas travels are vacation related, so not so much of an issue any longer. But still a point to take into consideration.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: