magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

T5700 auto retart after power loss

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lymon
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: T5700 auto retart after power loss Reply with quote

I have an older T5700 which does not seem to have a BIOS option for auto restart after power loss. I've searched the site, googled the snot out of it and, the best I can come up with is that there "may" be a BIOS flash to enable this feature. I can't find it--anywhere.

Can anyone definitively say that there is or is not such a flash. If so, can you point me in the right direction? Thank you.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: T5700 auto retart after power loss Reply with quote

lymon wrote:
I have an older T5700 which does not seem to have a BIOS option for auto restart after power loss. I've searched the site, googled the snot out of it and, the best I can come up with is that there "may" be a BIOS flash to enable this feature. I can't find it--anywhere.

Can anyone definitively say that there is or is not such a flash. If so, can you point me in the right direction? Thank you.

I believe what your looking for is the top choice on the list at the following site http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=379363&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=339208&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1058#120
lymon

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: T5700 auto retart after power loss Reply with quote

VaHam wrote:

I believe what your looking for is the top choice on the list at the following site http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=379363&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=339208&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1058#120

Well VaHam, that was a humbling experience. This is apparently what I am looking for but, after reading the install instructions no less than 10 times I am at a loss for how to proceed. I am really not a script kind of guy and only understand about half of what is supposed to be going on in the batch and text files. Am I making this overly complicated or should I just hang it up and resign myself to manually restarting the T5700 each time it goes down. Don't feel bad telling me if you think I'm in over my head. Thanks for your input.
Paul777

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: T5700 auto retart after power loss Reply with quote

HP is one of the best for ease of downloading and installing. The SoftPaq's (SP) files are download to computer first (not thin client, it needs to be downloaded to laptop or desktop). Once downloaded, click on file and follow the instructions. TC software will then need to be loaded onto a USB memory key. Again the download to desk top is first, then click on the file and then it will ask where you you want to save it to (save to USB).

Then once on USB memory, insert into TC's USB port. Right click on Start>Explore and then look for USB Key int the folders. Open the folder and there shoud be a .exe file to click on and it will install on it's own. If it's a small file the install will be very quick (5-10 seconds), so if you think it's not installed, it likely did.

Hope that helps.
lymon

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: T5700 auto retart after power loss Reply with quote

Paul777 wrote:
HP is one of the best for ease of downloading and installing. The SoftPaq's (SP) files are download to computer first (not thin client, it needs to be downloaded to laptop or desktop). Once downloaded, click on file and follow the instructions. TC software will then need to be loaded onto a USB memory key. Again the download to desk top is first, then click on the file and then it will ask where you you want to save it to (save to USB).

Then once on USB memory, insert into TC's USB port. Right click on Start>Explore and then look for USB Key int the folders. Open the folder and there shoud be a .exe file to click on and it will install on it's own. If it's a small file the install will be very quick (5-10 seconds), so if you think it's not installed, it likely did.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Paul777 but, this particular flash has some unusual (to me) features. there is a batch file that seems to need editing and a text data file that also needs editing to make it work for a particular installation. I may be misunderstanding what is required but, it doesn't seem as straight forward to me as one might assume.
Paul777

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not try re-flashing the whole image? I just did it with with my T5710 and everything works great except for an internal networking issue I had. This was not an MJ issue or an issue with the image. Use this link since you have a T5700... http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=379363&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=339208&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1058

You'll have a clean image and the BIOS will be factory re-set too.
lymon

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul but, I have the most current release of Xpe available and the BIOS still does not contain the power up option.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to resign myself to turning the silly thing on every so often or wait until I get smarter. Smile
onlyme
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you downloaded the correct file, I just downloaded the newer BIOS unpacked it on my laptop, copied it to a USB flash (thumb) drive inserted the USB drive into my T5700 and launched the bios update from the desktop in XPe, restarted my thin client went in the bios and now my TC restarts after a power loss. Didn't have to edit or change anything.
lymon

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onlyme wrote:
Are you sure you downloaded the correct file, I just downloaded the newer BIOS unpacked it on my laptop, copied it to a USB flash (thumb) drive inserted the USB drive into my T5700 and launched the bios update from the desktop in XPe, restarted my thin client went in the bios and now my TC restarts after a power loss. Didn't have to edit or change anything.

I could very easily be misunderstanding the procedure. I downloaded the BIOS update from HP

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=379363&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=339208&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1058

Altiris XPe Add-on (Configure BIOS Settings)

Type: BIOS
Version: 1.00 Rev. C (5 Jan 2009)
Operating System(s): Microsoft Windows XP Embedded
File name: sp28580.exe (381 KB)

My understanding of the instructions was that the file was to be loaded onto the T5700 C: drive and executed, at which point it creates some Windows sub directories containing an executable bin, a couple of script and dat files which need editing and instructions which baffle me.

If you have an easier way, I'm listening.Smile
onlyme
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the only file you need to d/l, unzip it to usb a thumb drive and run it from your TC.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=339208&prodNameId=379363&swEnvOID=1058&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=PSG_I21179-105260
lymon

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onlyme wrote:
This is the only file you need to d/l, unzip it to usb a thumb drive and run it from your TC.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=339208&prodNameId=379363&swEnvOID=1058&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=PSG_I21179-105260

Onlyme, you are a genius! Thank you, that was just what I needed and as easy as you said. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: