magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

T5710 Thin Client - PY706AA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul777
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: T5710 Thin Client - PY706AA Reply with quote

Okay... before I buy I want to make sure these TC's will work with MagicJack. They are selling for CAD$ 114.99 (I am in Toronto). See specs and listing here.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/HP-Compaq-T5710-Thin-Client-1-2GHZ-512MB-512MB-PY706AA-/120550663680?cmd=ViewItem&pt=COMP_EN_Workstations&hash=item1c11612600

So my question is will these run MagicJack as they are ? I do not want to get into having to spend time with any modifications to RAM/ROM or OS. I've done lots of reading in the forum and this does seem to be the right combo.

Any feedback (good or bad) is much appreciated. If it's the right hardware, then I will buy.

Thanks to all that respond.
newtoncd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: T5710 Thin Client - PY706AA Reply with quote

I used to run a T5710, but sold it on eBay. I have since moved magicJack to an Acer Aspire Revo AR1600. Like the T5710, it is very energy efficient, however, it runs XP Home SP3 vice XPe and can run Windows 7 (albeit a bit slow). It comes with an Atom 1.6GHz processor, 1GB RAM, 160GB hard drive, 6 USB, etc. The physical attributes of the two units are about the same.

I guess what I am trying to say is, you can purchase an HP thin client for about $100 or the Revo for about $150-$170. Yes, it is more money, but you are getting a lot more hardware/capability. Additionally, at least for me, running a full version of XP has been a better experience than running XPe.

And, the power usage is very similar. YMMV.
Paul777

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: T5710 Thin Client - PY706AA Reply with quote

hmmm... interesting unit that Acer Revo. I even thought of buying a cheap NetBook, but since I need 3 units and possibly 4, the price does start to become a factor.

Thanks for the input. That is an interesting unit for sure. If I can scoop it on a deal some where, then I will buy. At least I know it will work ! I don't want to spend another minute on trying to configure anything. I already burned up time on some TC's that I got (4 for $100) and after all the work, could only get 1 to actually function with MJ. I suppose I got a deal, but my time is worth something too. Don't want to Plug and Pray on anymore equipment ! Smile
slceso
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what (4@100) did you buy?
Paul777

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were Neoware units. Two were Capio 620, one was a CA5 and other CA15. The 620's were Linux and as I found out later one does not boot. The RAM was also not enough even if I wanted to flash them with
new OS. The others had XPe and one did work with MJ after deleting unnecessary programs to free up space. The other does boot but freezes
up when trying to use MJ. I suspect not enough RAM.

Anyway I am picking up these 5710's right now. Will set them up this weekend.
johnvan
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those will be perfect, you'll have no issues whatsoever.
Paul777

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: T5710 Thin Client - PY706AA Reply with quote

Okay... I have the units !

Problem to start, though - unit was booting User account and I couldn't do anything. So I remembered that these usually boot to User account, not Adminstrator account. Hit shift key and then keep it pressed then hit Restart. The Administrator Log in window appears. Actually it said User, but I simply typed in Adminstrator as the user and then Admistrator as the password. Then I'm in ! Start deleting unncessary programs, although there is plenty memory and don't need to. Set Admistrator as the default user and log in, re-booted and the TC automatically logs in as Admistrator. Then I plugged in MJ. It recognized there was new hardware but could not find drivers even when I said to I want to find them manually. Would only give me D: drive as an option. Somehow I found a way to see all drives, and picked E: and then hit the .exe. I knew it would install MJ and it did !

Once install was complete and softphone dial pad was displayed, I plugged in the handset phone and crossed my fingers. And sure enough I get a dial tone but can't dial out ! Sad Essentially the phone gives me touch tone sounds, but the number does not dial. Then I tried calling the number to my MJ and the phone does ring, but the speaker in the TC also rings. When I pick up the phone to answer I can hear myself through the TC speaker. It will also not hang up if I put the receiver back down or press the hang up button.

So now I'm stuck. Any suggestions before I make these TC's fly through a window ? Smile

Thanks to anyone willing to help !

PS: Also noticed that the softphone was defaulted to headset, tried to choose telephone but as many times as I click on the radio button, it will not let me choose that option.
Paul777

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: T5710 Thin Client - PY706AA Reply with quote

Succcesss !!!!!!!!

I tell you it was some fiddling around for sure (3 thin clients not working) but I do have it running now. Essentially here are the steps:

1) download fresh clean basic image at
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=439749&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=439748&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1058
I went with USB option

2) do not delete anything from the image. Let it boot up as normal. once booted up, click start>log off and at same time hold shift key down. this will bring you to Administrator login. Type Administrator for the user and then Administrator for the password. Then click on start>control panel> windows logon configuration, default user name should be Administrator and same for password. Type both correctly and be sure to use capital A. This will ensure you are always logging in as Administrator for further changes requiring a restart.

I also added Windows Firewall and Direct X once the basic image was installed and operating

3) had some issue with connecting to site 1.0.0.0 when launching IE and after some reading went to start>control panel>network connections>local area connection>properties
then scroll to Microsoft Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) IPV6 or what ever the heck it was, then click uninstall button. When complete it may ask to restart, click NO ! Then go to bottom of screen (right hand corner) there should be a green icon. right click and then choose commit. This will save the settings. When it asks for restart click YES !

3) once rebooted check to ensure you can browse to any website freely with no issue

4) if above is all good, plug in the MJ and it will self install. If another window opens behind it and it's for drive D: choose "no action" and then also click the check box to always perform same action.

5) MJ will complete install... tell your friends... lucky you... lifetime of savings... yadda...yadda...yadda, and softphone appears. Check to ensure you can choose Telephone in the softphone menu and dial away !

6) Will now use HP ThinState Capture software to image other units and keep a back up image on USB key

Thanks all that read and made suggestions, even under technical support section !!

Last edited by Paul777 on Sun May 02, 2010 11:06 am; edited 3 times in total
tony
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: T5710 Thin Client - PY706AA Reply with quote

Paul777 wrote:
Succcesss !!!!!!!!

I tell you it was some fiddling around for sure (3 thin clients not working) but I do have it running now. Essentially here are the steps:

Congratulations on getting the TC5710 working. The first one takes a while, even if you have to do the rest from scratch, it's a lot faster. Check out this thread for more tips.

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/dummies-guide-configure-an-hp-t5700-for-mj-using-xpe-w-sp2-t3605.html
Paul777

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you have other Thin Clients from HP or Neoware, then try this link http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Product.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=135&prodTypeId=12454&prodCatId=321960
Diggs

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The deal on Ebay I couldn't refuse ($59) was here-

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-Thin-Client-t5710-800mhz-256-256-MagicJack-Ready-/150435389465?cmd=ViewItem&pt=COMP_EN_Workstations&hash=item2306a5e019

The seller had 10 units and by the time a friend went back to get one they were all gone. I received mine, plugged it into my network and booted it (using a KVM), shut down the desktop that was running my MJ and plugged the MJ into the t5710, watched the dialer appear, grabbed the phone and started making calls. The setup was perfect. Keep an eye open on Ebay as I'm sure the deals will come again.
morpheousman
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
The deal on Ebay I couldn't refuse ($59) was here-

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-Thin-Client-t5710-800mhz-256-256-MagicJack-Ready-/150435389465?cmd=ViewItem&pt=COMP_EN_Workstations&hash=item2306a5e019

The seller had 10 units and by the time a friend went back to get one they were all gone. I received mine, plugged it into my network and booted it (using a KVM), shut down the desktop that was running my MJ and plugged the MJ into the t5710, watched the dialer appear, grabbed the phone and started making calls. The setup was perfect. Keep an eye open on Ebay as I'm sure the deals will come again.

Nice, but how much space is left in C drive, and what happens if Magic Jack does a software update?

Just wondering
Diggs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morpheousman wrote:

Nice, but how much space is left in C drive, and what happens if Magic Jack does a software update?

Just wondering

It boots at 130 MB with firewall. After several weeks it grows to 160-180 MB for some reason and I have not looked at why as I am not too concerned. Quality has been good. The unit runs MJ and the firewall, nothing else.

@edit - That is memory usage. I need to look in on C: again. Will try and let you know.

Hmmm - only 15 MB left free. If I drop in a 512 stick, I'm not sure I wound know how to transfer what is on the 256 MB stick to the 512 MB so I wouldn't lose anything. Me thinks it would require a complete re-image.
morpheousman
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
morpheousman wrote:

Just wondering

It boots at 130 MB with firewall. After several weeks it grows to 160-180 MB for some reason and I have not looked at why as I am not too concerned. Quality has been good. The unit runs MJ and the firewall, nothing else.

@edit - That is memory usage. I need to look in on C: again. Will try and let you know.

Hmmm - only 15 MB left free. If I drop in a 512 stick, I'm not sure I wound know how to transfer what is on the 256 MB stick to the 512 MB so I wouldn't lose anything. Me thinks it would require a complete re-image.

Thank you for the reply.

Does your TC have XPe SP1, or SP2?

I picked up a T5710 800/256/256 a few days ago. I have been playing around with using a Magicjack on it. After installing a fresh image, (SP2) and removing some unneeded programs, I have about 60 megs left. Then I install Teamviewer, and there is about 50 megs left. Then I plug in MJ and let it do its thing, and after MJ starts, I have 3 or 4 Megs left.

Now I could probably use Tight VNC instead of Teamviewer and save another 4 or 5 megs, but it all just seems a bit too tight too me. I have a 44pin laptop ide cable. and a CF to 44 pin adapter. I went ahead and ordered a 6GB CF II Microdrive. I am not sure if I am going to put XPe, or some custom form of XP on it. Guess it will be trial and error.

As far as you upgrading to 512 flash, it should be pretty easy. Pull the old DOM Flash out, plug the new one in, and then install the factory image and plug in Magic Jack. I have flashed the factory image on mine a couple of times already. I have done it both from a usb memory stick, and off of a CD, using a USB CD drive. Really nothing to it.
Diggs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My TC runs with a KVM so no remote software needed and I save a bit of room there, but I did pick up a 1 GB flash module and have a bunch of 512 MB PC2700 memory sticks laying around. As soon as I have the time I will do an upgrade as I agree with you, not enough room there to be comfortable and HP says anything under 5 MB (or is it 3 MB?) will make the TC unstable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: