magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teamviewer ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twlunn
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Teamviewer ? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Ok, right now I"m re-flashing a 5710, 512/256, then will be on to removing things.

My TC & MJ will be hardwired into my WRT54GS V1., which is also hardwired to my desktop PC

So if I"m understanding this right, TV has to be installed on both the TC & my desktop PC?

Is it as simple as that?, of course i'd have to login to network with key, etc....

TIA, T.
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. Teamviewer will do the job. You will need to do exactly what you said. But, since this is a somewhat permanent set up.. I recommend using logmein (logmein.com. It works better when you need to use it frequently IMO and its free, so you may want to try that.

Kumar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
twlunn
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TV is running, answearing this post on TC.

These little TC's are addicting.

I've got the TC hooked up to the network and a 60" HDTV, wow...
twlunn
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kumar wrote:
Yeah. Teamviewer will do the job. You will need to do exactly what you said. But, since this is a somewhat permanent set up.. I recommend using logmein (logmein.com. It works better when you need to use it frequently IMO and its free, so you may want to try that.

Kumar

Thanks K,

This is where I'm having a dull moment.

When I move The TC to my PC location I lose the monitor & keyboard.

If I want to "do" somthing on the TC, dont I have to "see" the desktop to starT Teamviewer

Right now Tviewer is running in "run" mode I think its called.

I'll check out logein....
twlunn
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I reinstalled TeamV to start with XP.
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twlunn wrote:
OK, I reinstalled TeamV to start

with XP.

great! Hope it works out well!

Kumar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Teamviewer Suggestions Reply with quote

If your running Teamviewer just to control other computers on your own LAN then I would suggest you set Teamviewer options to Accept LAN connections and then in the advanced options set it to only accept LAN connections. By doing this Teamviewer does not log into the teamviewer servers.

You will have to use the remote computers ip address rather than it's Teamviewer Number to access it but IMO it works better and faster and also does not burden the Teamviewer servers with logins which serve no real purpose.

If you have a specific computer you need to access from outside of your LAN you can still set it to accept LAN connections; just don't set the advanced options to only accept LAN connections. That way you can access it locally on your LAN using it's ip address or from outside your LAN using it's Teamviewer ID#.

{Example screenshots below added}
Teamviewer has host mode version and server mode version but I have the full version, which includes both, loaded on all my computers.

Below are screen shots of my settings captured from my desktop computer while running Teamviewer to one of my TCs which is set to only allow LAN connections:

The following is a capture of the same TC accessed using it's Teamviewer assigned number after making only the one change of un-checking the "LAN connections only" box and doing a commit and reboot.

[/img]

Last edited by VaHam on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
twlunn
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, VaHam,

Hers where I'm at:
I started out with the TC connected to my tv with keyboard and mouse.

Temporarily I am using the Cat5 cable my kids use for the xbox connection.

This temp connection to tv was to use tv as monitor to reinstall XPe, remove apps, reassign Ali drivers, install Teamviewer, then Magicjack (as of yet have not installed MJ)

I could access TC in other room fine fromPC location.

Next I shut down TC and moved it to desk where desktop PC is, and connected TC to router. Powered up TC, opened teamviewer on PC and it asked for TV�er password or code #, when I gave it the info I wrote down from teamviewer on the TC prior to shutting it down, Teamviewer on the PC says it couldn�t connect.

However, now that I thing about it, I never �committed� the TC when I powered it off for the move to desktop PC area, the lock is red and open. Might that be the problem?

Shortly I plan to move TC back to rec room area, make the suggestions you described, get the IP addy, reload EWF, commit data to volume and move it back to PC and see what happens.
twlunn
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Teamviewer Suggestions Reply with quote

[quote="VaHam"]
You will have to use the remote computers ip address rather than it's Teamviewer Number to access it

]Does the TC ip addy go into the proxy setting box on the general tab? So use manual proxy, type addy in proxy id box, assign a port? All this on my desktop PC, right?

I guess all I' trying to do is make sure TC is setup with teamviewer so when I shut it off to move it and then turn TC on, I can start teamviewer on my PC and see desktop on TC....

but IMO it works better and faster and also does not burden the Teamviewer servers with logins which serve no real purpose.

If you have a specific computer you need to access from outside of your LAN you can still set it to accept LAN connections; just don't set the advanced options to only accept LAN connections. That way you can access it locally on your LAN using it's ip address or from outside your LAN using it's Teamviewer ID#.[/quote[
twlunn
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, tried the accept lan, but could not connect, dont think I put the ip addy in right thou.

Anyway, went back to my prior settings for TV on TC, enabled EWF & commit.

Rebooted TC, went to PC and connected to TC after putting in password.
Rebooted 2nd time on the TC and conected on the PC.

thats good enough for me...on to the MJ install now.

Many thanks to all.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twlunn wrote:
OK, tried the accept lan, but could not connect, dont think I put the ip addy in right thou.

Many thanks to all.

One thing is I use fixed ip addresses for all my LAN computers rather than dynamically assigned dhcp so the ip address of a specific computer does not change.

To select Allow LAN you just go to "Extras" and select "Options" check the box on the lower left to allow "Accept incoming LAN connections" for proxy setting I just select "none".

To access the remote computer just enter it's ip instead of it's temviewer ID number in the right hand box.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VaHam wrote:
twlunn wrote:

Many thanks to all.

One thing is I use fixed ip addresses for all my LAN computers rather than dynamically assigned dhcp so the ip address of a specific computer does not change.

To select Allow LAN you just go to "Extras" and select "Options" check the box on the lower left to allow "Accept incoming LAN connections" for proxy setting I just select "none".

To access the remote computer just enter it's ip instead of it's temviewer ID number in the right hand box.

VaHam,

I use the same method as you. I fixed all my IPs and access thru the LAN. There are two advantages one is it is a little faster and second you can work on any computer on your local lan even if your internet connection is down.
idle15
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Can't connect with Teamviewer Reply with quote

I'm trying to connect only with LAN settings. I've followed all the suggestions here, I can see the TC in My Network Places, can access it thru them, and can ping it in cmd. Can't figure out why I can't connect with team viewer. I set it up on the TC to accept LAN connections only, and set a static IP, and No proxy. Anyone have any idea what my problem is???

Thanks to all for the help.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't connect with Teamviewer Reply with quote

idle15 wrote:
I'm trying to connect only with LAN settings. I've followed all the suggestions here, I can see the TC in My Network Places, can access it thru them, and can ping it in cmd. Can't figure out why I can't connect with team viewer. I set it up on the TC to accept LAN connections only, and set a static IP, and No proxy. Anyone have any idea what my problem is???

idle15,

I don't know why it won't work for you. It functions fine for me but you might want to ask VaHam what he has done to make it work. I don't want to make too many wild claims because I am a licensed user and it may perform differently for me.

Also TeamViewer does not treat non-licensed users like second class citizens so you might want to check the manual and send their tech support an email.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't connect with Teamviewer Reply with quote

idle15 wrote:

1) Does the Teamviewer work ok before you set it to only allow ip connections? Try setting it to allow both first and make sure everything is working; then try setting it to only allow LAN connections.

2) Are you running a firewall? If so make sure you allow Teamviewer connections from your LAN addresses. If your using Sygate there is a setting in there to allow all connections from your LAN addresses which makes that easy. If using Windows firewall you can setup an exception for Teamviewer.
idle15
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Firewall Reply with quote

I disabled the firewall in the router, Not running Sygate.
I connected a few times before changing settings, then all of a sudden I couldn't connect.

This has got me beat...

Thanks guys
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Firewall Reply with quote

idle15 wrote:
I disabled the firewall in the router, Not running Sygate.
I connected a few times before changing settings, then all of a sudden I couldn't connect.

This has got me beat...

Thanks guys

What error messages are you getting i.e. "can't connect because I don't like you" or "can't connect because the password is wrong" and oh by the way if you do the wrong password enough it will also lock you out for anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute.

If you are getting any error messages are they Teamviewer or Windows messages?
idle15
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Error Message Reply with quote

Is a Teamviewer Error:

A connection could not be established.

Reason unknown.

I set the IP and can connect with all the computers on the LAN thru windows explorer. Just don't make any sense to me.

Thanks for your help.
idle15
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Latest Reply with quote

I uninstalled and reinstalled teamviewer on all computers. I can connect to the HP TC thru teamviewer ID #, but not thru the LAN static IP.
I can connect to other computers on the LAN either way. So something on the TC is keeping me from connecting thru the LAN connection. I just can't figure out what.

Thanks again
noetic1
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

idle15-
I replicated your results exactly. TeamViewer worked fine using the TeamViewer ID but not by the static IP Address I set up.

One additional change I made was to go to TeamViewer Advanced Options and clicked on the "LAN Connections only" checkbox in the Network section in both the TC and my desktop. Unfortunately, this actually made accessing the TC worse since I lost connectivity by TeamViewer ID.

Let me know if you figure out how to get TeamViewer working on your TC by IP address.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - I have put in a tech support question on this issue. I should have an answer by tomorrow.

But on my system it will only work like you guys are trying to use it if I enter my license on both machines.

However that only difference between the LAN mod and LAN only mode is that in LAN only mode it will not answer an access attempt by ID #. In both cases it does not access the TeamViewer servers. You should be able to verify this by disconnecting your modem and attempt a LAN access. That should work but an ID access should fail under those conditions - No server to resolve an ID access.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Latest Reply with quote

idle15 wrote:
I uninstalled and reinstalled teamviewer on all computers. I can connect to the HP TC thru teamviewer ID #, but not thru the LAN static IP.
I can connect to other computers on the LAN either way. So something on the TC is keeping me from connecting thru the LAN connection. I just can't figure out what.

Thanks again

Can you ping the TC's ip address?

When you connected to the TC using it's Teamviewer number mode, right click on the TC's connection icon and select "Status" then choose the "Support" tab and confirm it's ip is the same as you have been using. I know I made a typo once and had this problem and it was just my typo of the wrong ip address which was the problem.

BTW I am using TeamViewer in it's free for personal use mode (ver. 4.0.5421) I do not have a purchased licensee.

I edited my post on page 1 of this thread to include screen shots of my setup if that helps.
noetic1
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VaHam-
I verified that I have the exact settings that you have (based on your screenshots) and I was still unable to connect to my TC via IP address.

I did notice that your Advanced Options looked different from what I have and it looks like I have a different version.

I'll download the latest TeamViewer to see if that fixes the issue.[/img]

Last edited by noetic1 on Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
noetic1
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I upgraded TeamViewer in both my desktop and my TC to the latest version (ver. 4.0.5474) and verified my configuration matched VaHam's screenshots.

But still no luck. I am able to connect to my TC via ID but not via IP address.

VaHam -
I noticed that your screenshot of TeamViewer said "Free License (non-commercial use only) - Hewlett-Packard". Where did you get your HP version of TeamViewer?

[UPDATE] Disregard my question above, I just noticed that my TC has Hewelett-Packard added so it must have been added during installation if TeamViewer is added to an HP machine.

Last edited by noetic1 on Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noetic,

Can you ping the TC's ip from your other computers?
noetic1
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VaHam-
Yup, I was able to successfully ping my TC's IP from 2 other computers with no lost packets and an average response time of 1ms.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Bad New and Emotionally Crushed Reply with quote

I posted that mine will do LAN ONLY when I license them - which seems to have been totally ignored. !!!

Here is a snippet from TeamViewer support and the English is by a bilingual German so read between the lines a little even if his English is better than mine - I hate that. Embarassed

Start Quote -

Dear,

if you use it in a commercial manner you have to buy a license also for LAN access only.

Best regards,

Andr� Schindler

-----------------------
TeamViewer GmbH * www.teamviewer.com

Kuhnbergstr. 16 * D-73037 G�ppingen
Tel. +49 (0)7161 60692 420 * Fax +49 (0)7161 60692 79

Handelsregister Ulm HRB 534075 * Gesch�ftsf�hrer Dr. Tilo Rossmanith

- End Quote

Remember that "LAN access" accomplishes the same thing as LAN only access and does not access the teaviewer servers. BUT will still accept an ID access should one show up. Looks to me like the best of both worlds.

OK go back to ignoring me, but that is straight from the German TeamViewer Tech Support and they say "LAN Only" can't be done without a license.
noetic1
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holman-
That's interesting. I wonder how VaHam got his free version of TeamViewer to work then using IP addresses.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes my free personal use version is working fine. The screen shots were captured from my TC while running in that mode. The key words about licensee "for commercial use" but LAN only mode works fine in the free version as well.

noetic1 Are you running the stock HP downloaded version of XPe or some other distro?

When Teamviewer is not in LAN only mode it makes an outgoing connection thru your router which opens things up via NAT. When operating in LAN teamviewer does not do this so I am thinking there is something wrong in the routing which is why I am surprised that the ping to the TC's ip worked.

Are you running any anti-virus and are you certain that either sygate or windows firewall, if it is running, are not causing the problem. Perhaps if you uninstalled them they didn't get fully uninstalled and some remenants are still running.

The following is a list of processes running on my TC:

Maybe you can spot a difference between mine and yours.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad New and Emotionally Crushed Reply with quote

HolmanGT wrote:
I posted that mine will do LAN ONLY when I license them - which seems to have been totally ignored. !!!

Here is a snippet from TeamViewer support and the English is by a bilingual German so read between the lines a little even if his English is better than mine - I hate that. Embarassed

Start Quote -

Dear,

if you use it in a commercial manner you have to buy a license also for LAN access only.

Best regards,

Andr� Schindler

-----------------------
TeamViewer GmbH * www.teamviewer.com

Kuhnbergstr. 16 * D-73037 G�ppingen
Tel. +49 (0)7161 60692 420 * Fax +49 (0)7161 60692 79

Handelsregister Ulm HRB 534075 * Gesch�ftsf�hrer Dr. Tilo Rossmanith

- End Quote

Remember that "LAN access" accomplishes the same thing as LAN only access and does not access the teaviewer servers. BUT will still accept an ID access should one show up. Looks to me like the best of both worlds.

OK go back to ignoring me, but that is straight from the German TeamViewer Tech Support and they say "LAN Only" can't be done without a license.

Only thing I can figure is that something must have gotten lost in the translation.

I didn't see anything in their TOS about requiring a licensee for LAN only but I could have missed it. Don't see why they would care as long as your still using it for personal and not commercial use. It does work just fine for me though.

When I get some time I'll use wireshark and check on the not calling Teamviewer servers when in just LAN access mode.

It sounds like the LAN only mode is working for noetic1 also except on his TC. He said it works on other computers on his LAN like it does for me. It is just the TC which it is not working on.
noetic1
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VaHam-
Quote:
noetic1 Are you running the stock HP downloaded version of XPe or some other distro?

I'm running the stock XPe image from HP ver 5.1.336

Quote:
Are you running any anti-virus and are you certain that either sygate or windows firewall, if it is running, are not causing the problem. Perhaps if you uninstalled them they didn't get fully uninstalled and some remenants are still running.

I'm not running any anti-virus or firewall on my TC. The processes I have running on my TC are pretty similar to what you have running.

Quote:
It sounds like the LAN only mode is working for noetic1 also except on his TC. He said it works on other computers on his LAN like it does for me. It is just the TC which it is not working on.

Actually, I just confirmed that I am not able to access any of my computers via IP using TeamViewer but I am able to ping them and connect to them via TeamViewer ID. I think idle15 was able to connect to his other computers by IP but not me.

Seems like my Linksys WRT54GL router flashed with Tomato is letting me ping my various computers but won't let access them via TeamViewer/IP.

Last edited by noetic1 on Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
idle15
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: LAN connection Reply with quote

Yes, that is correct. I can ping and connect to the TC from all computers with the teamviewer #, I can connect to all computers EXCEPT the TC via LAN connection, and can only connect from the TC to other computers with the teamviewer#, not LAN.

I can connect all other computers with the LAN ONLY BOX checked.

I am running the original version of XPe also.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VaHam,

I was going to open another support ticket, just because I have the same feeling that you do "Something got lost in the translation".

Va, so you are saying it works for you on your regular machine and your thin client?

I only tried it with the thin client and it would not work for me until I put in the license code on both ends.

Anyway a little later I will submit another support question and hope I get a different tech.
idle15
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: LAN only Reply with quote

Let me clarify that, the LAN only works correctly for me on all computers except the TC with the free version.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: LAN only Reply with quote

idle15 wrote:
Let me clarify that, the LAN only works correctly for me on all computers except the TC with the free version.

That is really bizarre idle15, and makes what the Tech Support said sound like a "I don't know so I will just make up an answer" response.

I will try to get a little time this evening and try it on one of my regular computers and see how that goes.

Can you or have you just tried open your DMZ to the thin client just to make sure some overly zealous security gadget is not doing you in.
idle15
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Tried that Reply with quote

Opened DMZ for the TC. Still won't connect via LAN.

Thanks
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Teamviewer on Thin Client Reply with quote

This is puzzling! The screen shots I posted on page 1 of this thread were screen captures from my desktop (non TC) computer. I was connected to the remote TC via LAN only mode at the time. You can see this is the case since the Teamviewer ID shows as the TC's ip address instead of it's TV ID #.

If you select "Allow incoming LAN connections" without selecting the advanced option "LAN connections only" then the ID will still appear as the Teamviewer #. Only when you set the "LAN connections only" does it show as the ip address in place of the TV #. So you can see it does work here. I have three TCs all working in this manner on the LAN here and can access all of them via ip. I can change only the one setting as shown on the last of my screen captures posted on page 1 and access the TC via either it's TV # or it's ip address.

One thing that doesn't make sense about the TV support answer is that "TV does not connect to the TV servers when in LAN allow mode". In order for the TV ID # to be associated with an ip address externally TV has to connect to the servers. The only situation I can see where this is not required is when it is operating in in the LAN only mode where no ID to ip association is required.

I got noetic1 and idel15 confused with regard to being able to connect in LAN mode to computers other than their TC's.

Is there any possibility that the desktop/laptop from which you guys are trying to access the TC from is running it's own firewall (zonealarm or norton or windows) which is blocking UDP connections to the TC? If so you may have to open up UDP connections to the TC's ip address or as I do to my entire LAN block.
idle15
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Still Trying Reply with quote

I don't see anything that would keep TV from connecting. I can connect to and from all other computers via TV# or LAN IP with the LAN checked.

I also can connect to and from all other computers via the LAN IP with the LAN only checked.

Now on the TC: I can only connect TO the TC from other computers via TV# with the Accept LAN connections check, or not checked. I cannot connect to the TC via LAN IP in any way. But I can connect FROM the TC to other computers on the LAN via LAN IP.

Still don't make any sense.

thanks
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Still Trying Reply with quote

idle15 wrote:
I don't see anything that would keep TV from connecting. I can connect to and from all other computers via TV# or LAN IP with the LAN checked.

I also can connect to and from all other computers via the LAN IP with the LAN only checked.

Now on the TC: I can only connect TO the TC from other computers via TV# with the Accept LAN connections check, or not checked. I cannot connect to the TC via LAN IP in any way. But I can connect FROM the TC to other computers on the LAN via LAN IP.

thanks

Do you have a firewall running on the TC? This sure stills sounds like a firewall problem but I can't get a handle on exactly what or where.
noetic1
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was finally able to connect to my TC via IP address on TeamViewer.

I totally forgot about allowing Remote Desktop connections to my TC via System Properties. After I clicked the checkbox to "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer" I was able to connect to my TC via IP address.

Authentication is definitely alot faster by IP address instead of using the TeamViewer ID.

Last edited by noetic1 on Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noetic1,

Now this is definitely a case of persistence paying off Smile

Besides what the heck to the Tech Support folks know. They must be related to the MJ Tech Chat folks i.e. blood bothers and sisters. They will give you any answer just to make you go away.

Very glad you got it going. That has to be the most secure method of controlling your in-house remote computer there is.

PS - Also glad you didn't listen to me repeating what the Tech Support people had to say about this issue.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noetic1 Congrats !!!!!!!!

I kept thinking it sounded like a firewall type problem but could not for the life of me pin it down!

Hopefully this may help some others with similar problems!

Good on ya!
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HolmanGT wrote:
noetic1,

Now this is definitely a case of persistence paying off Smile

Besides what the heck to the Tech Support folks know. They must be related to the MJ Tech Chat folks i.e. blood bothers and sisters. They will give you any answer just to make you go away.

Very glad you got it going. That has to be the most secure method of controlling your in-house remote computer there is.

PS - Also glad you didn't listen to me repeating what the Tech Support people had to say about this issue.

Well we still all need to give you thanks for turning us onto Teamviewer in the first place HolmanGT. If I hadn't seen your recommendation I would probably never run across it.
noetic1
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more VaHam.

Good call on TeamViewer HolmanGT!

It is definitely my preferred application for connecting to the computers on my network (especially now that I can connect by IP address).
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Still Trying Reply with quote

idle15 wrote:

thanks

Just wondering did you try checking what worked for noetic1 and did it work for you also? Or perhaps you have found some other solution which could be helpful to others.
idle15
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Didn't work Reply with quote

I tried it, and it didn't work for me. I flashed stroths image and set it up on my LAN. everything worked fine, except connecting TV via LAN. It still wouldn't connect. Oh well, so much for that, now I have another problem. MJ upgraded when I plugged it in, and now I can't connect. It gives me the authorization screen for just a sec, then I get an error " connect to the internet and try again" I AM CONNECTED.
I click and get the same message.

Anyone know what I can do about that?

Thanks guys.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Didn't work Reply with quote

idle15 wrote:
I tried it, and it didn't work for me. I flashed stroths image and set it up on my LAN. everything worked fine, except connecting TV via LAN. It still wouldn't connect. Oh well, so much for that, now I have another problem. MJ upgraded when I plugged it in, and now I can't connect. It gives me the authorization screen for just a sec, then I get an error " connect to the internet and try again" I AM CONNECTED.
I click and get the same message.

Anyone know what I can do about that?

Thanks guys.

I don't run stroths image; does it use the windows firewall? If so you may try disabling it unplug magicjack and plug it back in and see if that fixes the problem. If it does don't forget to do a commit. Then reboot and take a closer look at the windows firewall setting to make sure it has an exception for magicJack.exe.
idle15
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Finally got MJ running Reply with quote

No firewall, but after leaving for a while, I tried again and MJ finally saw my internet connection and I registered my email and Username. It's working fine now as a service. I still can't connect via LAN. maybe stroths can give me some light on this. if not. I'm happy with what we have now.

Thanks for a great site.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: