magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Telemarketing calls FLAW exposed in MagicJack Plus.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Savario
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Telemarketing calls FLAW exposed in MagicJack Plus. Reply with quote

I was surprised to see that with MagicJack Plus, when you first register and pick your number you get a list of numbers to choose from from your selected area code. This list of numbers are in full view. I was surprised to see this. My thought was "heres a free list of numbers for scammers and spammers"

so 3 weeks later after registering my MagicJack Plus -- I have never posted, given out, or mentioned my MagicJack Plus number anywhere or anyone, I don't even remember what it is (I had to look it up) and yet, I'm getting 5-7 calls PER DAY from telemarketing spam LOAN & Mortgage garbage.

I might add I have an original MagicJack for over 3 years and I have not had any "garbage calls" with this number.

also, I set the MagicJack PLUS account for OUTGOING CALLS only, and I still get voice mail messages delivered.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Telemarketing calls FLAW exposed in MagicJack Plus. Reply with quote

Savario wrote:
I was surprised to see that with MagicJack Plus, when you first register and pick your number you get a list of numbers to choose from from your selected area code. This list of numbers are in full view. I was surprised to see this. My thought was "heres a free list of numbers for scammers and spammers"

so 3 weeks later after registering my MagicJack Plus -- I have never posted, given out, or mentioned my MagicJack Plus number anywhere or anyone, I don't even remember what it is (I had to look it up) and yet, I'm getting 5-7 calls PER DAY from telemarketing spam LOAN & Mortgage garbage.

I might add I have an original MagicJack for over 3 years and I have not had any "garbage calls" with this number.

I "ASSUME" you added your MJ number to the national Do Not Call list right?
Also these dirtbags have random call generators and when you answer the phone they know it is a "live" number. So it may be just you were the lucky random person after 3 years with this number. All I can say is to write down the numbers who are calling you and when you see that number on your caller id, dont answer it. Of course your Voice Mail will then pick it up. I would recommend you get MagicFeatures which allows you to block numbers you no longer wish to ring your phone, but it only works with the Plus when it is plugged into the USB port, not your router.

Just my 2 cents.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Savario
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, this is a brand new number with the Magic Jack Plus. I never added this specific number to the National Do Not Call List. I don't even have the MagicJack Plus plugged in. (I'm not even using it yet, was going to use as a 2nd MagicJack line) I just registered about 3 weeks ago, and I'm getting garbage voice mail recordings and hang ups forwarded to me via e-mail even with incoming calls turned off.

5-7 hangups & spam voice mail per day is getting ridiculous.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savario wrote:
no, this is a brand new number with the Magic Jack Plus. I never added this specific number to the National Do Not Call List. I don't even have the MagicJack Plus plugged in. (I'm not even using it yet, was going to use as a 2nd MagicJack line) I just registered about 3 weeks ago, and I'm getting garbage voice mail recordings and hang ups forwarded to me via e-mail even with incoming calls turned off.

It is possible it is a re-cycled number. It happened once to me on a pre paid cell.
I would add it to the national Do Not Call list ASAP if I were you. Hopefully it will help, OR maybe you can complain to MJ and see if they will issue a new number. Unlikely but cant hurt to try. They normally charge to change the number.
One question if you are not using it yet how they heck are you getting calls on it?? If I remeber correctly the MJ automatically receives incoming calls and the outgoing calls is the option you need to select. Since I don't have the Plus maybe they changed that option.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Savario
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:
Savario wrote:

It is possible it is a re-cycled number. It happened once to me on a pre paid cell.
I would add it to the national Do Not Call list ASAP if I were you. Hopefully it will help, OR maybe you can complain to MJ and see if they will issue a new number. Unlikely but cant hurt to try. They normally charge to change the number.
One question if you are not using it yet how they heck are you getting calls on it?? If I remeber correctly the MJ automatically receives incoming calls and the outgoing calls is the option you need to select. Since I don't have the Plus maybe they changed that option.

yeah, since I have no commitments to that number I could probably ask MJ to change it.

I assume they are calling the number and leaving voice messages. Since it is not plugged in, they probably get voice mail to answer immediately and they leave a message, or hang up. Then, I get that voice message e-mailed to me as a .WAV attachment. So, my phone doesn't actually ring but it would if it was plugged in.

In the MJ plus account settings under "Subscriptions" tab there is a button "Change Service" and here you can change to "Outgoing only" "Incoming Only" and "Outgoing and Incoming". I changed to "Outgoing Only" just to see if the calls(emails) would stop but they don't
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always try to get them to change it for free after explaining why, sadly I would not hold my breath. I am pretty sure it will fall on deaf easrs and they will want to charge you.
IF you havent given out your new MJ number yet you could always get a FREE Google Voice number and have it call your MJ. In GV you can block numbers from ever ringing your MJ and even ignore them too. It is pretty cool how many things you can do with GV. Worth looking onto if MJ wont play ball.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:

I'm betting that's what the problem is. I also had that issue with a "new" land-line number a few years ago. Took me forever to convince a bunch of creditors that Susie didn't live with me, or if she did she was hiding real good. I think once you cancel a number they re-issue them pretty darn quick.
shushwap
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the best line for Telemarketers when they call for a specific person... They call up and ask for Bob... This is where you give a big sigh and say im sorry Bob passed away this morning... They say ohhhh im sorry... Then you ask them to please note this in there account... Usually works... my buddy uses the same line for wrong numbers
mjplus2000
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shushwap wrote:
I have the best line for Telemarketers when they call for a specific person... They call up and ask for Bob... This is where you give a big sigh and say im sorry Bob passed away this morning... They say ohhhh im sorry... Then you ask them to please note this in there account... Usually works... my buddy uses the same line for wrong numbers

HaHa. Sick and twisted, but works every time! Very Happy
Savario
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjplus2000 wrote:
shushwap wrote:

HaHa. Sick and twisted, but works every time! Very Happy

or this, might not get you off the list but sure is funny.

http://www.digyourowngrave.com/tom-mabe-telemarketer-crime-scene-prank/
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have solicitor problems with any of my phones, all my phone numbers are listed in the do not call registry. Smile
Bill Smith
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The do not call registry is the best way to minimize these types of calls. But it does take some time before it is effective. Simply ask that you be placed on their do not call list.

If you want to have some fun when you receive one of these calls, simply excuse yourself by saying that there is someone at the door. Put the phone down, mute if the phone if it has a switch or put the phone by the radio, walk away, and don't come back for 5 or more minutes. Odds are the caller won't be there when you return.
lee_terry_jr
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are 3 steps to rid yourself of this nuisance for good.

1. Add your number to the do not cal registry (if you have not already done that) https://www.donotcall.gov/

2. Buy a telezapper and install it to your phone (if you use this option you dont need the 1 below because they are almost the same but the 1 below is 100% free)
or
Find and download sit.wav (google) and make it your welcome message on your answering machine. (sit.wav is the sound that you get when you call a number that has been disconnected. So when you add it as your welcome message on your answering machine the computers most telemarketers use will think the number is disconnected and they will remove the number from there system. The telezapper plays the sit.wav tone for you automatically whenever you or your answer machine picks up the phone (so it does the same thing as this except without needing to let the calls go to answering machine. The telezapper is the best way to do this because you will not need to screen numbers that you dont recognize but since it costs like $30.00 most people dont think its worth it.

3. You could get MagicFeatures and use it to block the numbers as mentioned above. However it is impossible for 1 person to know the number of every telemarketer so you will still be getting spam calls
redpepper
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For reference, Magicfeatures does also have a "white" list call blocking feature called "Priority Calls Only" that blocks calls from all phone numbers except the ones in your priority calls list.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: