magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

text to landline (MJP)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Los Angeles jack
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: text to landline (MJP) Reply with quote

I was pleasantly surprised when someone had text'd to my MJP, I got a voicemessage that translated the text into a voice message. It also gave me the option to reply back either directly through a text message or to speak and I guess the system would translate it into a text message (I wish I tried it but I had already deleted the voice message). Can anyone confirm this?
Gene45
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried sending a text to my own magic jack. Still waiting for it to come through after ~18 minutes .

I also searched MJ FAQ to no avail. I thought it would be interesting, but it appears not to work here .
kedwards
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could depend on your (text) provider. When I try to send a text to my magicJack number from my Google Voice number, I get "Error: this message was not successfully delivered." When I send a text from my cell phone, I get "XXXXXXXXXX is a landline #. Reply Y to send all TXT messages to this # as voice messages for 0.25/msg + std msg fee. Details @ vtext.com, TexttoLandline

My cell provider is Page Plus, which uses Verizon's network.

Obviously, I chose NOT to reply back with a Y.

I would guess (in your case) the sender of the text is using vtext or something similar.

Keith, who likes to only give out his Google Voice, and receive TXTs at that number...
Gene45
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Canada, and my cell provider is Telus. It appears the note just disappeared into the ether. Razz

No big loss.
Los Angeles jack
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I tried it myself and it works, for the most part. For starters I should say that my MJ+ is connected using the router for the past 8 months. When I first got my MJ+ in Jan 2012 I initially set it up on my computer and then I have been using the router ever since. For my cell phone I'm using an iphone 4S on the Virgin Mobile network. I sent my MJ+ this text message from my iphone 4S, "hello this is myself." My MJ+ immediately started ringing so I picked up. The message first began something like this, "Virgin Mobile customer, (xxx) xxx-xxxx calling with a text to landline, press 1 to hear." So I pressed number 1 and I heard my message. It then gave me these options, press 1 to reply with a voice message or press 2 to reply with a text message. I pressed 1 and replied by saying something like "hello myself testing, testing, testing." However, the only reply that I got on my iphone was this, "You've received a reply to your Text to Landline message from (my MJ+ phone number). Call (xxx) xxx-xxxx to listen now, normal airtime charges apply." So far I know I can receive text to landline via MJ+ but I'm not sure I can send out text messages using my MJ+. I'm trying to conserve my Virgin Mobile cell phone minutes so I didn't call to find out if the text from my MJ+ went thru. I just realized that I made a mistake and I should have press 2 to reply with a text message, Ai Carumba (lol). Maybe later when I have more time I can try again.
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only text messages sent from a SPRINT (or Boost or Virgin Mobile, both of which are divisions of SPRINT) cell phone can be converted - by SPRINT, NOT MagicJack - to a synthesized voice. It's a SPRINT-provided - not MagicJack-provided - service.
Los Angeles jack
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems SteveHC is correct. I just tried it again, I again received my text message on my MJ+ from my iphone and this time I pressed 2 to reply with a text message back. It gave only about 4 or 5 options to reply back. For instance it said something like press 1 to reply with "yes." Press 2 to reply with "No." Press 3 to reply with "I will get back to you." Press 4 to reply with "Thanks." I chose to press 4 to reply with "Thanks," and that is the text message I received on my iphone. So it appears to be a Sprint provided service and not a MJ+ service. Virgin Mobile is part of the Sprint network provider as Steve illustrated. It is a pretty cool feature.
Los Angeles jack
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been here in awhile but anyone know if the new 2014 device supports SMS texting. I read somewhere that the packaging on the 2014 device says it does. On a home phone texting would not be possible but using a smart phone with the app might be a possibility.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Los Angeles jack wrote:
I haven't been here in awhile but anyone know if the new 2014 device supports SMS texting. I read somewhere that the packaging on the 2014 device says it does. On a home phone texting would not be possible but using a smart phone with the app might be a possibility.

- Not the device, that would actually be pointless. The company says that at some point they hope to be able to incorporate text messaging into their *apps*. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting though.
greenman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveHC wrote:
- Not the device, that would actually be pointless. The company says that at some point they hope to be able to incorporate text messaging into their *apps*. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting though.
Agreed. It's kind of frustrating that they advertise it as SMS compatible, but then don't actually provide the SMS interface. Frankly, that's false advertising.
kriskret
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:14 am    Post subject: SMS and change the device Reply with quote

As advertised NetTalk gives the option to send and receive SMS . http://www.nettalk.ca/shop/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: