Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
That A/C-Powered External USB Hub?...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sirBB
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: That A/C-Powered External USB Hub?...

Those of you who have bought and are using (or have used) one of the A/C powered extenal USB ports, the one recommended on the Wikipages. I've got one, and it sure looks like the jack from the a/c adapter just isn't going into the hub all the way. It's still 3/16ths out. Can't force it in any more (reasonably).
Is that little light which glows green supposed to be indicitave of it getting a/c power?... or indicitave of it being functioning after being connected to the compter?..(which if you think about it is really of no point because you can see with your eyes that you have it hooked up).
If i have the hub and a/c adapter connected and plug it into a wall socket without being connected to the computer...should that light show green?... in my case it doesn't (and again the jack from the ac adapter doesn't quite go all the way in...)
I wonder it the adaptor jack because it isn't going in the full way is really giving it power at all?...
vnecaxa
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject:

I have used several USB Hub and in all of the them the magicJack, usb memory or any other device does not go all the way in. It does not appear that this causes the device to malfunction. You are fine. As long as it works, don't look too much into it.
sirBB
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Please... does somebody who has used this particular 4U2ABK external a/c powered USB Hub understand what I'm asking? :

http://www.windmilltrading.com/USBProds/4_Port_AC_Powered_USB_Hub_2000mA_HUB-4U2ABK.htm

I'm asking if the green light is supposed to be on to indicate that the Hub is getting a/c power from the a/c adapter. I'm asking that because the mini-plug/jack coming from the a/c adapter that goes or is supposed to go into the Hub stops about 3/16 inch short of fully going into the Hub. I want to know if the Hub is indeed getting a/c power.
MJ Problem Solver
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:12 am    Post subject:

Yes, the LED status light shows you are getting power.
sirBB
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject:

Thanks MJProblemSolver:

That being the case, then it's not getting power. I had the a/c adapter and Hub hooked up, plugged into the wall, and no green light. If that green light is supposed to be telling me that it's getting a/c powe, then it's not. That plug from the a/c adapter which is supposed to go into the Hub... which stops 3/16 inch short, is the culprit. I have to find and try other adapters we have lying around.
newtoncd
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject:

sirBB wrote:
Please... does somebody who has used this particular 4U2ABK external a/c powered USB Hub understand what I'm asking? :

http://www.windmilltrading.com/USBProds/4_Port_AC_Powered_USB_Hub_2000mA_HUB-4U2ABK.htm

I'm asking if the green light is supposed to be on to indicate that the Hub is getting a/c power from the a/c adapter. I'm asking that because the mini-plug/jack coming from the a/c adapter that goes or is supposed to go into the Hub stops about 3/16 inch short of fully going into the Hub. I want to know if the Hub is indeed getting a/c power.

The hub I purchased from Windmill was exactly the same way.

A good test would be to make sure it isn't plugged into the computer, plug the powered hub into AC power, plug a USB flash drive into the hub or something that has a light on it to know you are getting power and see if the light comes on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: