Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The grass isn't always greener

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Alternatives to magicJack
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me


Joined: 12 Feb 2009
Posts: 673
Location: Buffalo NY

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: The grass isn't always greener

I go over to the ooma forum every now and then to read and came across this thread http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10397 seems some people are having problems with calls not working correctly. Seems like MJ is not the only voip service to have problems like this. Hopefully a fix will come quickly for these people. It's always a good idea to have a backup to the provider your using in case a problem like this occurs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me


Joined: 27 Feb 2008
Posts: 701

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject:

FWIW.... a friend of mine still subscribes to a Verizon land line. He lives in an older community that experienced the heavy rains we had recently in California. As a result, his phone service has been virtually non-existent for two weeks.

Ma Bell completely blew off his first scheduled appointment where a service tech would be there "sometime between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m." His next scheduled appointment is January 6th.

For this level of VIP service, he gets to pay over $60 a month for basic service with unlimited long distance calling.

BTW, he bought an ooma telco but couldn't get it to work.

No matter what, it seems you pays your money and takes your chances.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
telltom
MagicJack Contributor


Joined: 14 Apr 2009
Posts: 57
Location: clifton, nj

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject:

these days cell phone has been the most reliable to me. I have MJ and stopped using it for the most part. Nettalk is pretty good once the router is setup correctly, but cell phone is the best. It may breakup and static but i always get my call.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oldtimercurt
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 07 Feb 2009
Posts: 281
Location: Pensacola

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Cells work well here in FLorida, as well---until a hurricane blows away your local tower.

OTC
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
neo2121
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 09 Jan 2008
Posts: 282

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject:

telltom wrote:
these days cell phone has been the most reliable to me. I have MJ and stopped using it for the most part. Nettalk is pretty good once the router is setup correctly, but cell phone is the best. It may breakup and static but i always get my call.


Cell phones donít static. They "cut out" choppy voice is different that static Wink I completely agree with you cell phone is the most reliable and convenient way to converse. My parents donít even have a land line any more. I'm a VoIP hobbyist I donít think i have placed anything other than test calls to my cell phone with any VoIP device in a long time. I might with net talk working on my android based cell phone

oldtimercurt wrote:
Cells work well here in Florida, as well---until a hurricane blows away your local tower.

OTC

Same could be said for tornados and cell towers and power lines cable lines and you guessed it, for phone lines. They all have their design flaws

A VoIP company could make a lot of money if they targeted smart phone users as a supplemental service that could push calls right to VoIP when you selected an option as well as allowed # spoofing bet that company would make millions. They could even do 20.00 a year and limit to 500min a month as a supplemental service.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
gashliquor
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 26 Apr 2008
Posts: 447

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject:

As far as Ooma goes i don't know if problem is wide spread but it does not affect me at all and im on a 2 hr call so far and typing at the same time and old lady is on line 2 of Ooma and daughter is on Line 1 of ATA. I have read of the problem on Ooma's web site but to me it looks like the west coast has most of the problems.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me


Joined: 23 May 2009
Posts: 673
Location: South FL

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Cells work well here in FLorida, as well---until a hurricane blows away your local tower

Hmmm.. how often get your towers blown away ? I went here through a few hurricanes/ tropical storms since i have a cell phone service ( 1993)
and while the cell service was affected, it was never completely out and I was always able to make a call ( sometimes with a lot of effort). Plus, carriers have increasingly power back ups for the cell sites.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oldtimercurt
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 07 Feb 2009
Posts: 281
Location: Pensacola

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject:

After Ivan in 2004 and yes the coverage is better now. Just hope we don't have to test it anytime soon.

OTC
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me


Joined: 12 Feb 2009
Posts: 673
Location: Buffalo NY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:38 am    Post subject:

gashliquor wrote:
As far as Ooma goes i don't know if problem is wide spread but it does not affect me at all and im on a 2 hr call so far and typing at the same time and old lady is on line 2 of Ooma and daughter is on Line 1 of ATA. I have read of the problem on Ooma's web site but to me it looks like the west coast has most of the problems.
I agree it does seem like Ooma users on the west coast seem to have this problem more than others. Funny you would think it would be the other way around being Ooma is located in California.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gashliquor
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 26 Apr 2008
Posts: 447

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject:

sabresfan wrote:
gashliquor wrote:
As far as Ooma goes i don't know if problem is wide spread but it does not affect me at all and im on a 2 hr call so far and typing at the same time and old lady is on line 2 of Ooma and daughter is on Line 1 of ATA. I have read of the problem on Ooma's web site but to me it looks like the west coast has most of the problems.
I agree it does seem like Ooma users on the west coast seem to have this problem more than others. Funny you would think it would be the other way around being Ooma is located in California.




Ooma is having problems IMO with some of it's trunks thats affecting ppl in cali and others in close by west coast states, Here in florida there is no such glitches at all. Rather strange but the local on the west coast is taking the beating. Just like the Ooma Telo phone you had to get it " If it was you" mail order because no bestbuy in cali had it near you. Im over 2 thousands miles away and Bestbuy had a dozen or more in each store. However that changed as BestBuy no longer sells Ooma period but Costco does. However in my area of florida there are no Costco's but i seen them though on the east coast but im on the west on the gulf of mexico. No matter who's VoIP service we have there will be a problem, Nothing is really perfect in life but we all hope so.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Freedom1911
magicJack Apprentice


Joined: 10 Jan 2011
Posts: 23

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The grass isn't always greener

sabresfan wrote:
I go over to the ooma forum every now and then to read and came across this thread http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10397 seems some people are having problems with calls not working correctly. Seems like MJ is not the only voip service to have problems like this. Hopefully a fix will come quickly for these people. It's always a good idea to have a backup to the provider your using in case a problem like this occurs.


True. Even if you are using ma bell you should have a second form of communication. If your phone line were struck by lightning or hit by a little old lady on her way to church. Hope neither one of those ever happen.

Point is you never know what WILL happen and you need to be prepared.
MJ is not perfect, but is works well enough, and it costs much less than ma bell. Takes some up keep on your PC to be sure everything is running properly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me


Joined: 12 Feb 2009
Posts: 673
Location: Buffalo NY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: The grass isn't always greener

Freedom1911 wrote:
sabresfan wrote:
I go over to the ooma forum every now and then to read and came across this thread http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10397 seems some people are having problems with calls not working correctly. Seems like MJ is not the only voip service to have problems like this. Hopefully a fix will come quickly for these people. It's always a good idea to have a backup to the provider your using in case a problem like this occurs.


True. Even if you are using ma bell you should have a second form of communication. If your phone line were struck by lightning or hit by a little old lady on her way to church. Hope neither one of those ever happen.

Point is you never know what WILL happen and you need to be prepared.
MJ is not perfect, but is works well enough, and it costs much less than ma bell. Takes some up keep on your PC to be sure everything is running properly.
I can't agree more with the need to have a backup and for those using MJ that have problems to keep their computers running properly and free of junk.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Alternatives to magicJack All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Powered by phpBB Ultra Turbo Extended Edition Live © 2001-9999, phpBB Group
magicJack and magicJack Plus are trademarks of magicJack LLP. This website is in no way affiliated, endorsed, or sponsored by magicJack LLP, and is an unofficial forum for consumers to openly communicate regarding their experiences with the magicJack products.