Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Party's Over...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: The Party's Over...

With acknowledgements to Betty Camden and Adolph Green:

The party's over
It's time to call it a day
They've burst your pretty balloon
And taken the moon away
It's time to wind up the masquerade
Just make your mind up the piper must be paid

I'm finally giving up on Magic Jack for good. Sometimes it's been real and sometimes it's been fun, but most of the time, it hasn't been real fun. My cell phone was in the other room, so I picked up the handset for my MJ and made a call to a friend who immediately commented on the echo.

Since Dan is more concerned about exercising control over the product than producing a workable device, I will vote with my feet and go somewhere else. Ain't America great?

From now on I will use it only to call people or businesses who really annoy me.

Thank you to all the good folks and talented people who support this forum. God bless.
redpepper
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject:

You will definitely be missed by me.

If you were to recommend another VoIP provider alternative to magicJack at the moment based on your experience who would it be? Are the NetTalk folks worth a look?
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject:

Well, you gave them a poetic good bye!
Too bad, after 2.5 years... but our needs change and something what used to work for us for years may not work one day any more.
I give MJ the benefit of the doubt. Testing my line regularly I find my internet service rather fluctuating in quality and on average just borderline for decent quality VOIP. ATT will not/ cannot do anything on it and I will not spend a fortune on a high end Comcast subscription, that would defeat the purpose.
Yes, Dan and his antics. The last "Lucky you upgrade " really tests the patience. But still, it is a great deal for my second line. I do not consider Google Talk an acceptable alternative and anything else is more expensive. So, I stick to MJ- for now.
You will be missed.
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:51 am    Post subject:

redpepper wrote:

If you were to recommend another VoIP provider alternative to magicJack at the moment based on your experience who would it be? Are the NetTalk folks worth a look?
Nettalk is worth a look but they also have problems with their network as they continue to grow. They have made improvements in the last 6 month's & that's more than we can see with MJ. In time if Nettalk can continue to grow and iron out their remaining issues they will be much better than MJ in the long run. Having an actual number for customers to call & an official forum where the good and the bad can be seen is light years ahead of MJ. The voip provider I have found to have the best quality of calls and best support is Callcentric.
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject:

Gonna miss you Darkman but what's gonna be your little bundle of joy now?
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject:

Thank you for the kind words. For now, I will be using in the following order:

1. Verizon - cell phone
2. Google Voice
3. Sipgate
4. Skype
5. Grasshopper

Actually, 2 & 1 may be reversed since I use GV as my primary service with/through Verizon. I haven't considered NetTalk but I do want to credit sabresfan for referring me to Sipgate. Not exactly free, but I really like that I can send and receive faxes and spoof my Google Voice number.

This forum has been a great source of fun and knowledge. Thanks, again!
redpepper
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Grasshopper? I'll have to check that one out.
Chris "hack"
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject:

Sorry to see you go Darkman, you're one of the few that has had service similar to mine and therefore gave me good leads to go on. I think we both have come to the conclusion that our ISP is at least partly to blame. It would be nice if mJ inc took over the fight against them. Then again, what is mJ doing wrong that the high priced VOIP providers are doing right ie: Vonage?

With that said, in the past year I have noticed symptoms on normal landline calls like echo-beeping-choppy that suggests the calls are being completed using voip even though initiated from a landline from ATT/Verizon. Normal situation I experience this is when the person dialing uses a dial-around 10-10 number for secondary long distance billing.

I hope that mJ inc can take the proper steps to shake the ISP's into a new service "standard" and entice you back as your primary provider.
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Grasshopper? I'll have to check that one out.

They're on the order of Ring Central. Although you can make calls out through their service, I never have. I primarily use it as a dedicated business number to receive and direct calls.

There are a huge number of standard features and controls but I like to keep it simple. I also paid them $75 for a professional recording that plays when there is no one to pick up. At first, I was a little put off by the amount but they did a superb job and it included a message for each of the other two people who work for me, when the call is transferred to them.

Probably more than I need but it lends a very professional image to my phone service.
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject:

"hack"...

Early on with my MJ and voip experience, I came across a technical treatise outlining why the echo is endemic to voip. Although I suspect most of the folks on this forum are not old enough to remember but there was a time when it was relatively common on long distance POTS calls, especially cross country.

From the following article, I suspect it's going to take an upgrade to our existing infrastructure to see any real improvement, which I expect will be part of the natural evolution of technology.

One reporter's opinion.

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Causes+of+Echo
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Darkman90808 wrote:
"hack"...

Early on with my MJ and voip experience, I came across a technical treatise outlining why the echo is endemic to voip. Although I suspect most of the folks on this forum are not old enough to remember but there was a time when it was relatively common on long distance POTS calls, especially cross country.

From the following article, I suspect it's going to take an upgrade to our existing infrastructure to see any real improvement, which I expect will be part of the natural evolution of technology.

One reporter's opinion.

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Causes+of+Echo

Next on Obama's list of bailouts right after bailing out the D.N.C. in November. Smile

Joe Sica
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sumrall
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject:

redpepper wrote:

Maybe off topic but I received NetTalk DUO today. Fast, easy setup. Clear calls. Using as a backup for MJ.
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject:

Sumrall... not off topic at all. I think you answered his question. As a follow up, I just set up redpepper's Skyjack and X-litejack plugins again to work with my MagicJack since the change.

IMO, both of these are solid solutions to the inconsistencies and vagaries of MagicJack. The few pennies per minute for Skype and Sipgate is worth the cost of my blood pressure medication, lol.

The big advantage for me over using my cell phone is the convenience of having a couple of traditional handsets laying around the house from which to call out. Also, I've just begun using the Speed Dial feature which is nice.

IMO, redpepper did a standup thing by making his new versions available at no charge to current customers. I wouldn't have blamed him if he decided he had to impose a charge for the new version.
Sumrall
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject:

Forgot to mention there is a 25% ($20) discount coupon for NetTalk, or was when I ordered on 8th Sept. Did a Google search for "NetTalk DUO coupon".
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Probably more than I need but it lends a very professional image to my phone service.

Money well spent. Unless the business is really marginal, it would be foolish to cut corners on phone service. MJ has been working for me well as a secondary line, but I would not think for a second to make it ( or any other cheapo service) my primary line.
Quote:

20 years ago, it used to be common on overseas calls.

Quote:
Not exactly free, but I really like that I can send and receive faxes

I had a fax from 1991 until last year. I think that these days there is no excuse for not scanning and e-mailing documents and contracts. There are still a few people who bitch about it but I do not care. One major advantage is that the problems with papers with hand written changes and addendums going back and forth and turning illegible are a thing of the past. Plus it is easier to organize. No more fax.
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject:

Quote:
No more fax.

I would agree but there are still some folks that only accept business transactions via fax. Hard to believe, huh? I'm amazed at how many people either don't use email or only check it occasionally.
Davidchsw
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Many businesses don't have an internet connection, but do have phone service. Fax machines are cheap. Fax machines are simple like VCR's. Fax machines will be around a while longer.
Diggs
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject:

There aren't many alternatives that are nearly so easy as a fax for transmitting signed documents. And, so many legal documents require a signature to be effective that a fax remains a mainstay in business. Signed documents using a .pdf through email are a good alternative, but require a copier or scanner and a higher level of knowledge.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
but there are still some folks that only accept business transactions via fax. Hard to believe, huh? I'm amazed at how many people either don't use email or only check it occasionally

Some people do not have a scanner, or do not know how to use it, or (most of the time) are just lazy. Anyway, there is a good habit to follow up on any important thing mailed, e-mailed or faxed because nothing is 100% reliable.
Quote:
Many businesses don't have an internet connection, but do have phone service

Yes, there are still a few dinos out there who need a gentle kick in order to move into the 21st century. There is no rationale behind keeping an expensive business land line but not having an internet connection, especially because with package deals you can get the business internet quite cheap.
Or, like a lot of us, you do it without a landline all together : 2 cell phones, Google Voice and Magic jack is all what I need.

Quote:
Signed documents using a .pdf through email are a good alternative, but require a copier or scanner and a higher level of knowledge.

I "learned" how to use my flat bed scanner by following the prompts on the screen. A monkey can do that. Unlike my VCR, which is really difficult to figure out.
macman4hire

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject:

Darkman I hope you will still stop by the forum once in a while. I have not used magicJack for about 3/4 of a year because I replaced it with netTalk. Overall I am satisfied with the performance of the netTalk TK6000. I get in on the lifetime service of the device deal.

netTalk has made steady improvements to the reliability of its service. netTalk also has more features than MJ. The feature I appreciate the most is having the ability to forward calls to a SIP address. Another feature that I like is having the ability to use it on wifi hot spots by using my laptops USB port.

My opinion is that netTalk blows away MJ at $70.00 for the device and the first year of service. Additional years are only $30.00.

Good luck and take care!
macman4hire
redpepper
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject:

For reference, you can also fax using a magicJack if you use the XlitePlugin and an alternative provider like CallCentric that support the T.30 VoIP Fax protocol. See http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/faxing-solution-with-magic-jack-t9330.html written by another user that advises how to set it up.
redpepper
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject:

I looked at the NetTalk forums but could not find any commitment or solid plan from them to support incoming call screening features (anonymous call block, selective call rejection, etc...) that some people need. Another one is the ability to call out using their network via a contacts list from a computer that you choose to associate with the NetTalk ATA.

Has anybody heard different? What features in your opinion are they really missing that many people would find useful?

I would tentatively be interested in trying to make those features happen for the NetTalk offering if there is really a market for it. At the same time I want to make sure nothing is developed that they will definitely be investing in and making happen themselves.
kleeb
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: MJ Echo

When I call my sister in KY, she mentions the echo sometimes and doesn't like it. In a dozen seconds or fewer, however, it goes away.

Every long distance telephone service has to incorporate echo cancellation. MJ may be a little slower to tune theirs than, say, AT&T, but they get it done for me after a short time.

It's always my called party that hears the echo, never me unless I get loud. Even then it is barely noticeable.

Overall, I"d say that my MJ's quality has only improved. For the first few weeks it was too awful to use and I nearly stomped it to bits. Now I even can hear the called party's TV in the other room.

Lee
Davidchsw
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject:

Can the voice mail be turned off for netTalk?
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject:

Davidchsw wrote:
Can the voice mail be turned off for netTalk?
Yes you can turn off voicemail in your customer portal.
Davidchsw
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the answer. That is the only problem I have with MJ. NetTalk may be in my future.
neo2121

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject:

Sumrall wrote:
Forgot to mention there is a 25% ($20) discount coupon for NetTalk, or was when I ordered on 8th Sept. Did a Google search for "NetTalk DUO coupon".

its actually 25% off NTLK25OFF I used it today.
ret27m

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject:

Worked for me today....9/30/2010
nitemare
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject:

Verizon? AT&T? Why are you using junk ISP Providers? It is not MJ that is the problem, it is your choice of ISP providers. Get a real provider that uses CABLE (not DSL) and you will not have any problems with MJ.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:20 am    Post subject:

nitemare wrote:
Verizon? AT&T? Why are you using junk ISP Providers? It is not MJ that is the problem, it is your choice of ISP providers. Get a real provider that uses CABLE (not DSL) and you will not have any problems with MJ.

Again B.S........ 2 plus years and counting here with my MJ and DSL. ZERO problems. I have had one outage with my DSL in over 5 years. So again you know not of what you speak.

Joe Sica
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
........ 2 plus years and counting here with my MJ and DSL. ZERO problems

Hmmm...maybe in your area. I have the most expensive ATT DSL subscription-48 $ /month- and the DSL quality is just fair.I run some tests from time to time, especially when i have problems with MJ quality. MJ works indeed better on high end comcast subsriptions (or even in some countries with better internet service), but the high costs of such subsription simply defeat the purpose.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject:

cell14 wrote:
Quote:
........ 2 plus years and counting here with my MJ and DSL. ZERO problems

Hmmm...maybe in your area. I have the most expensive ATT DSL subscription-48 $ /month- and the DSL quality is just fair.I run some tests from time to time, especially when i have problems with MJ quality. MJ works indeed better on high end comcast subsriptions (or even in some countries with better internet service), but the high costs of such subsription simply defeat the purpose.

I have Frontier ( used to be Epix and before that a local small tel co) I pay $29.99 a month for 6 mps down and 1 mip up. I also have naked or dry loop DSL and I am still allowed to keep my landline to receive calls but not make any. As I said I have had zero problems with my MJ and DSL and I know 3 or 4 people with the same result ( not local to me and different ISP). Plus with DSL one does not have their net access slow down after 6pm like it does with cable. That can affect ones MJ depending on how bad the slowdown gets..

Joe Sica
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject:

I have no problem with my DSL connection. It is fast (for DSL), and works great with MJ.

In fact, it works great with simultaneous calls on my MJ, TK6000, Duo, and Ooma, while downloading on computers.

It doesn't skip a beat.

Not all DSL sucks, and not all Cable sucks. Only the Sith speak in absolutes.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject:

Nobody beats the Whiz! wrote:
I have no problem with my DSL connection. It is fast (for DSL), and works great with MJ.

In fact, it works great with simultaneous calls on my MJ, TK6000, Duo, and Ooma, while downloading on computers.

It doesn't skip a beat.

Not all DSL sucks, and not all Cable sucks. Only the Sith speak in absolutes.

Or Yoda Smile

Joe Sica
SIR****TMG
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject:

Whiz has enough phones indeed
Diggs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Charter cable is the provider here and does a great job. But, they are not cheap at $55/month. I had a latency issue and posted my traceroute on DSL Reports. The techs monitor (or used to anyway) that forum. Within three days the malfunctioning network switch was replaced. And, they have excellent customer service.

bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject:

SIR****TMG wrote:

And yet no one can get a hold of him when they call Smile

He might need to add 2 Sunny D's and a string ( soaked in rum of course) Smile
( inside joke unless you saw the youtube video link he posted) I finally got that damn song and picture out of my head!!!

Joe Sica
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject:

SIR****TMG wrote:

Just.

Wink
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject:

bitstopjoe wrote:
SIR****TMG wrote:

And yet no one can get a hold of him when they call Smile

He might need to add 2 Sunny D's and a string ( soaked in rum of course) Smile
( inside joke unless you saw the youtube video link he posted) I finally got that damn song and picture out of my head!!!

Joe Sica

Correct on all counts. Very Happy
tony
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: The Party's Over...

Darkman90808 wrote:
I'm finally giving up on Magic Jack for good. Sometimes it's been real and sometimes it's been fun, but most of the time, it hasn't been real fun.

Have to say I haven't used MJ in over a year, in fact relatives have both of MJ's now. It just wasn't the hassle and the uneven call quality made them un-usable for business calls. Now I'm on a voip subscription. I average about $7/month total for a business quality phone service. For that cost I have 2 lines in/out and separate "lines" for my cell, my laptop, my netbook, and my wife's iPod (via wifi). Voice mail to email, caller ID, call screening, call routing, call filtering by caller ID or time of day, free calling between extensions (laptop on the road calling line at home), essentially Asterisk functionality managed on someone else's server. Oh and responsive customer service. It just works.

Still, for $40 a year, if you are so inclined, give MJ a try. It's still an interesting gadget.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: