Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The un-solveable `error 3`

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mt404
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: The un-solveable `error 3`

Hi All,

A couple of days ago after speaking with my Father, who is a happy MagicJack customer, I decided to take the plunge and purchase my own. Well, so far it's not been the best experience. Although the jack works well for random periods of time, ranging from 20 minutes to 6 hours, it eventually always stops working showing the message `Please connect to the Internet and double click here [error 3]`.

I've spent the last day researching possible causes and resolutions for this error. The `Official` MagicJack support documents for `error 3` indicate that I should ensure ports 5060 and 5070 are open to the computer hosting the MagicJack. I've ensured that this is the case and even gone as far as placing the computer in the DMZ. All with no success.

I've also done some network monitoring and it appears that the following happens.

1. I click the `Please connect to the Internet....` message which brings up a email / password / phone number validation.
2. I enter the correct credentials and then press enter.
3. A series of requests for CSS / JS / HTML files are made which display, very briefly, a message indicating that I am successfully registered.
4. A request is sent to prov1.talk4free.com over an encrypted (443) connection. This request SYN/ACKs okay, but being encrypted I can't really see what's going on. This is the last request sent at which point the same `error 3` message is displayed.

What I know:

A. The computer this is connected to has internet connectivity
B. That connectivity is sufficiently open to allow for intermittent successful MagicJack use.
C. Something happens whereby the MJ is prevented from getting connected.
D. The MJ occasionally with return to a working state without any user intervention.

What I've tried:

A. Using different USB ports
B. Placing the computer in the DMZ / aka unrestricted incoming and outgoing network connectivity.
C. Disconnecting / reconnecting the peripheral

At this point I just basically feel ripped off. Anyone have any suggestions for other things to try? The `live chat` support is more or less useless.

System (for what it's worth): Intel iMac running OSX 10.6.2
hsweiss
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Waste a few more minutes with tech chat and ask them to "refresh" your account - or in other words do a reset on your account. It appears that your SIP login with the master "login" server is failing for whatever reason.
mt404
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the tip hsweiss. For whatever reason, the MJ has been working without interruption for the past 10-12 hours. Haven't changed much here, with the exception of adding the bundled USB extension cable to the mix. If that works it's surely some sort of system voodoo, sort of like spitting on the engine of a VW bus and hitting it with a screwdriver twice can fix a broken engine.

I'll ping the tech support the next time I go offline. Was hoping for something a bit more reliable. But, like the old adage goes, you get what you pay for, and $20 a year for phone service is pretty damn cheap.
Magicjacktechsupport
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:31 am    Post subject:

Error- 3 .

Why don't you guys read this forum before publishing same issues ?

Many people have already discussed about all the errors here.
Error-3 : occurs when your router is blocking the UDP port 5060 and UDP port 5070 for the IP address to which you have plugged in your magicjack .
You can login to your router to open those ports . You can chat with Magicjack Customer support and ask for Live Look . They will do the same thing for you remotely .
mt404
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject:

A. I spent 2 days reading this and other forums regarding the issue before posting.

B. Ports 5060 and 5070 (UDP) are most definitely open. I'm a network engineer, I know how to configre a router.

C. If you read my post before telling me to 'Read the forum' you'd already know that

D. It's still happening at random intervals ranging from every 30 minutes to every 18 hours. After reading your email I've come to the conclusion that it must be the grinch who stole Christmas meddling with my router config once in while. Tricky guy, he even re-opens the ports afterwards to make me THINK that the problem is elsewhere.
nsisman
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject:

Also check your usb ports properties and make sure they cannot go into power saving mode ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: