Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
These settings work on my pc for FAXING w/Broadband

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eggtimer
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: These settings work on my pc for FAXING w/Broadband

After trying for a (long) while these are the settings that work on my pc for faxing/phone calling:
note - I have a Dell Dimension 8300, XP, an HP 5610 all-in-one fax/printer, Brighthouse High Speed Internet/Broadband and a VTech cordless phone (phone has DSL filter, I read on another site that this was necessary so I got one that had it). I do not have a land line.

1. I connected the magicjack to a usb port in the back of the computer and connected the phone cable supplied by HP to the magicjack and the other end to the HP printer/fax phone port 1-Line
2. I ran a fax test from the HP software and it showed the setup was working.

(My HP fax wizard settings:
-use one phone line for fax and voice calls
-don't use a pc modem on same fax line on same phone line as HP device
-no dsl service on fax phone line)

I plugged the phone cable into the phone (at least this worked on the first go hahaha) and the other end into the 2-EXT phone port on the HP printer/fax. There was a dial tone.

Based on suggestions here I set the fax speed to slow and turned off error correction on the fax settings.

I dialed my "fax to email" number from the FAX machine, not from the magicjack screen on the computer and hit send. The numbers then dialed from the fax and on the magicjack screen.

Results from attempts:
1st attempt on slow speed did not go through
2nd attempt on slow went through - fax received

1st attempt on normal speed went through - fax received

1st - 3rd attempts on fast speed did not go through
4th and 5th attempts on fast speed went though - faxes received

I did not disconnect the phone. The phone works with HP printer/fax turned off or on.

Hope this helps someone.

i have still not tried faxing TO my machine. 9.25.08

Last edited by eggtimer on Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:27 pm; edited 4 times in total
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject:

Muchas gracias... I've had marginal success using the MJ w/ my HP all-in-one. Hadn't really cared much but after reading your post, I think it might be a nice addition to use my MJ number to receive. Ordinarily, I scan and send documents via email instead of fax but it might be nice to take a step out of the process.

I'll try it and report back the results.
joeweissman
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: These settings work on my pc for FAXING w/Broadband

eggtimer wrote:
After trying for a (long) while these are the settings that work on my pc for faxing/phone calling:
note - I have a Dell Dimension 8300, an HP 5610 all-in-one fax/printer, Brighthouse High Speed Internet/Broadband and a VTech cordless phone. I do not have a land line.

1. I connected the magicjack to a usb port in the back of the computer and connected the phone cable supplied by HP to the magicjack and the other end to the HP printer/fax phone port 1-Line
2. I ran a fax test from the HP software and it showed the setup was working.

(My HP fax wizard settings:
-use one phone line for fax and voice calls
-don't use a pc modem on same fax line on same phone line as HP device
-no dsl service on fax phone line)

I plugged the phone cable into the phone (at least this worked on the first go hahaha) and the other end into the 2-EXT phone port on the HP printer/fax. There was a dial tone.

Based on suggestions here I set the fax speed to slow and turned off error correction on the fax settings.

I dialed my "fax to email" number from the FAX machine, not from the magicjack screen on the computer and hit send. The numbers then dialed from the fax and on the magicjack screen.

Results from attempts:
1st attempt on slow speed did not go through
2nd attempt on slow went through - fax received

1st attempt on normal speed went through - fax received

1st - 3rd attempts on fast speed did not go through
4th and 5th attempts on fast speed went though - faxes received

I did not disconnect the phone. The phone works with HP printer/fax turned off or on.

Hope this helps someone.
joeweissman
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Faxing with MJ

I am able to send faxes.

Do you have any idea if receiving faxes can be done, and if so, what has been your key to success?
angel-78
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject:

I mainly fax from my computer and without making any changes to the settings I have been able to send and receive basic faxes. Someone was telling me that as long as there are no complicated graphics or things faxes should go through. I have not heard any complaints yet and I have seen the faxes I have sent to work they look fine.
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject:

angel-78 wrote:
I mainly fax from my computer and without making any changes to the settings I have been able to send and receive basic faxes. Someone was telling me that as long as there are no complicated graphics or things faxes should go through. I have not heard any complaints yet and I have seen the faxes I have sent to work they look fine.

shouldn't it emulate a land based phone line, in every way?

if it isn't letting complex faxes, why not?
maybe the hardware isn't exactly matching the normal phone resistance, to allow proper level of audio for connecting to everything, or varies too much under heavy load.

Any mis-match in the interface jack, and the connection of a real phone device will suffer. This magicjack may not match it at exactly 600 ohms, maybe that's why the 100k ohm resistor across it's phone jack pins works for the CID # not showing on some regular phones with CID display, and someone else not being able to dial out from a regular phone.

BTW- what ever happened with that last MagicJack users problem, did the 100k ohm resistor solve YOUR dialing out problem too?
jucaso
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject:

angel-78 wrote:

Based on your remarks, I'm hoping that you are using Windows XP. I've tried using Windows XP fax console feature with MJ but my modem will not trip or connect when a call comes in. It behaves like if there was not enough rigging current coming in. I should add that I don't have any problems using the fax feature with a regular line.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
angminnie
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Faxing w/ HP 5610

I've gone through most of these posts trying to figure out how to send/receive faxes w/ an HP 5610 model all-in-one printer/fax. I have Windows Vista and connect online w/ a Verizon USB 720 aircard. I followed the instructions and removed the error correction and set the fax speed to slow (even tried medium) and it hasn't worked for me once. I have my aircard plugged into 1 usb port and the MJ into another USB port. I have the phone line going from the HP to the MJ using the phone line HP gave me. Basically I've done everything eggtimer has done only mine hasn't worked once.

Any suggestions?
eggtimer
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: xp dsl filter

sorry for not replying sooner.
i have windows xp and have not yet tried to send a fax to my number, just from. will update.
My phone has a DSL filter, i read this was necessary on another site before getting the phone, I don't know if it makes a difference or not.
msiam
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject:

angminnie
I believe the air card has barely enough broadband to operate the MJ much less the fax on top of it.. I wouldn't count on getting that to work. I'm surprised that you are getting much service out of it in the first place Shocked I will be keeping my eye on your progress , cause I am very curious to how your service goes.. If you need faxes sent to you, you might check into K7.net unlimited free incoming faxing, and there are other places in this forum that point out faxing for free for non frequent use, like 3 to 5 pages a day..with ads..
HDL-NYC
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:42 am    Post subject: Win XP Fax Console & MagicJack

I've been using the Windows XP Fax Console, with the params set to slow speed.

Single page faxes eventually work, but multi-page faxes seem to never work.

So far, sending faxes has required multiple attempts before success, so it seems that the MagicJack firmware was not designed with faxing in mind.

If someone has determined specific settings that work consistently, it would be a valuable addition to this forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: