Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Thin Client generic questions...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dishe
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Thin Client generic questions...

Hey everyone,
Sorry for the n00bish questions, but I'm hoping you guys can help me make the right decisions here.

I'm currently running my Magic Jack for the last year or so off an old P3 800Mhz laptop with 256MB of ram and a wireless 802.11G card in the expansion slot. Its pretty slow, but it does the job- I was impressed that it even seems to work fine over WiFi, which means I can keep the laptop near my cordless phone base, next to a shelf.

The problem is, the laptop is really starting to show its age, and the power cable seems to fall out with the slightest sneeze. When the power goes out its a real $#%@ to boot back up again, and in general I like the idea of a smaller, dedicated box to do this while likely consuming less electricity as well.

So, here's my dilemma- I've heard about this new MJ box coming soon that won't require a computer anymore. That's a nice option, but I'm under the impression that a Thin Client might be a more useful and versatile tool in the long run.

Is a thin client powerful enough to do things like, say, act as a file server attached to an external HD? How about a bit torrent client?

Because if I can have a dedicated box sharing files and handling things like an occasional download, all while running MJ and freeing up my main computer, then I'd say its a better option than the new MJ Plus (or whatever they're calling it).

What do you guys think?
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject:

TC's can be used for other things it just depends on which one you get. Some of the lower end models can barely run MJ and others can do much more along with running MJ. The bigger questions I would ask myself is are you willing to invest around a $100 for a TC that will do what you want. I'm also running my MJ on an old laptop and I'm just gonna run my MJ on it until it won't run anymore. The power difference is not enough each month for me to care about and this laptop is so old it's basically useless for almost anything else other than running MJ. Just keep an eye out on ebay and see if you see a TC that might do what you want.
dishe
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject:

sabresfan wrote:
TC's can be used for other things it just depends on which one you get. Some of the lower end models can barely run MJ and others can do much more along with running MJ. The bigger questions I would ask myself is are you willing to invest around a $100 for a TC that will do what you want. I'm also running my MJ on an old laptop and I'm just gonna run my MJ on it until it won't run anymore. The power difference is not enough each month for me to care about and this laptop is so old it's basically useless for almost anything else other than running MJ. Just keep an eye out on ebay and see if you see a TC that might do what you want.

For $100, I probably wouldn't do it. But they seem to have dropped almost half in price over the last year or so.

Is it unrealistic for a mid-range TC to be able to handle MJ, file sharing, and possibly a bit torrent client occasionally, all over WiFi while attached to an external storage medium?
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:53 am    Post subject:

We use TC's at work for everything so if you get the decent TC I don't see why it wouldn't work.
captcurt
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject:

They can definitely do those things.

For file server, just plug in a USB terabyte external and away you go.

See this link

http://www.thinclientforum.com/

Cheers

Curt
dishe
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject:

Interesting... I actually have an 80GB SSD I could wire up for a very low power solution or something.

Got any suggestions for a decent spec'ed box that would handle what I'm looking for, as well as work over wifi (I've seen soe have wireless built in while others do not)?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: