Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Thin Client Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huhenyo
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Thin Client Question

I don't know much about TCs, so I have a few questions?

If I have a 2Wire modem/router for my internet, I can just hook a TC into that, right?

Also, doesn't my main computer have to be on for the TC to run? I guess I don't understand here, because it isn't a stand alone computer, so I'm just wondering how it rund the MJ without a "server" (i.e. my desktop computer or laptop)?

Could someone clarify these questions for me?

Also, is there a way to turn call forwarding on and off when MJ is running on a client?

Thanks,
Nick
PTravel
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Thin Client Question

Huhenyo wrote:
I don't know much about TCs, so I have a few questions?

If I have a 2Wire modem/router for my internet, I can just hook a TC into that, right?
Um . . . yes, but doesn't the 2Wire have only a single ethernet jack? Either you'll have to run your other computer via WiFi (or get a WiFi adapter for your thin client), of get a router.

Quote:
Also, doesn't my main computer have to be on for the TC to run?
No. A thin client is a complete and self-contained computer. You can find a description of sorts, complete with visual aids, here:

www.thinclientforum.com

Quote:
I guess I don't understand here, because it isn't a stand alone computer, so I'm just wondering how it rund the MJ without a "server" (i.e. my desktop computer or laptop)?
The thin client is the server for the MJ, though "server" isn't the right term. MJs require a host computer, but don't need much in the way of computing power. That's why a thin client is ideal -- they use little power, don't have fans or moving parts, but have more than enough power to run an MJ (and a lot of other things, as well).

Quote:
Could someone clarify these questions for me?
I hope I have.

Quote:
Also, is there a way to turn call forwarding on and off when MJ is running on a client?

Thanks,
Nick
I never had to do it, but I thought it was built into the MJ client. If it is, doing it from a thin client is no different than doing it from any other computer.
Huhenyo
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Thanks. Things are clear now. So you would have to connect a monitor, mouse and keyboard onto the TC to enable/disable call forwarding? Is there anyway to access it from my desktop computer so I don't have to connect anything to the TC?
tony
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Thin Client Question

Huhenyo wrote:
Also, is there a way to turn call forwarding on and off when MJ is running on a client? Thanks, Nick

Hi,
You can turn your call forwarding on/off from your account settings. Go to http://my.magicjack.com/ which is a few clicks down from the main MJ website. Log in and you can change how your call forwarding works.

Regarding a thin client, it is just another computer. With your setup you will need a way to connect this second computer to the Internet, either wirelessly if your modem/router offers wireless, or by adding a router or some other kind of distribution box so you can plug in more than one computer.
PTravel
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Huhenyo wrote:
Thanks. Things are clear now. So you would have to connect a monitor, mouse and keyboard onto the TC to enable/disable call forwarding? Is there anyway to access it from my desktop computer so I don't have to connect anything to the TC?
There a couple of ways to do it. Yes, you can connect a monitor, keyboard or mouse. However, what I do is run the free software UltraVNC. This is an implementation of VNC that allows you to remotely control one computer from another. I run the server on the thin client (it's very small) and then just connect to it from my desktop computer. It opens a window that shows the thin client's desktop, and you can use your mouse to click on things and your keyboard to enter data, just as if you had a dedicated monitor, keyboard and mouse.

UltraVNC is password protected and, in my experience, very safe. I've run UltraVNC, and another free VNC program, RealVNC, for years on machines that are reachable on the internet (I control my thin client at work from home this way, and vice versa) and have never had a hacker get in (though some have tried).
smalcom
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject:

Huhenyo wrote:

TeamViewer (also a freebie for personal use) is a similar tool. Either way, you would need to connect keyboard/mouse/monitor to initially load the software onto the TC. Once that's done, all of the access to the TC can be remotely accomplished.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: