Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Thin Client recommendations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Delta-9
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Thin Client recommendations

I saw the sticky thread and have read through it ... but looking for advice w/r/t my particular situation. Can't really make heads nor tails of what is the best approach.

I just want to run this TC (just won on eBay, think I won at a nice price) for my magicjack, no more, no less.

What is the best suggested plan of action next?
bneuman
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Thin Client recommendations

Delta-9 wrote:
I saw the sticky thread and have read through it ... but looking for advice w/r/t my particular situation. Can't really make heads nor tails of what is the best approach.

I just want to run this TC (just won on eBay, think I won at a nice price) for my magicjack, no more, no less.

To run MagicJack on the t5700 without any problems I would upgrade to a Transcends 1gig DOM and 512 Ram. I have 2 setup like that and have been in use for all most 2 months with no issues at all. Calls are crystal clear 99% of the time. Just my 2 cents...

bill
lymon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Thin Client recommendations

Delta-9 wrote:

Well, your T5700 comes with only 192 mb of flash, which is what mine came with. I have read that it is theoretically possible to make Magicjack work with this minimal amount of flash by carefully removing "un-needed" TC components but, it looks like such a hassle that I didn't even bother trying.

I think that the popular wisdom is that 256/256 is the minimum flash/ram combination for proper installation, with 512/256 prefered. Even with this amount of flash/ram you may have to remove some standard un-needed TC stuff and make a couple of other tweaks to your TC.

I'm not sure what you mean by "...no more, no less" but, if you are willing to put out a few extra bucks for some additional flash and ram, probably around $50 total, your best bet might be to download user "stroths" handy dandy set of rar files which when loaded on a usb thumb drive will set up your TC for Magicjack with virtually no effort on your part. I believe that the minimum configuration required to do this is 512/512 but the price difference was so small that I just went with 1gb/512. Stroths has posted links to his rar files in the TC sticky along with follow up discussions.

So, if you are not committed to your current configuration, my plan of action would be as follows,

1. Get at least a 2gb usb thumb drive
2. Get 1 gb Transcend flash and 512 ram (any more than 512 mb of ram will not work in t5700)
3. Re-read stroths advice on flash and ram and download his rar files
4. Create bootable usb with rar file and set TC to boot from usb, sit back and watch
5. Download latest DirectX (look in TC sticky)
6. Run DirectX diag tool
7. Plug in MJ and Phone
8. Call people.

There are definitely more ways to skin this cat, but I would not even bother with only 192 mb of flash unless you really enjoy a challenge.

If you have any specific questions, ask and someone will chime in. Good luck.
Delta-9
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject:

by "no more, no less" I just meant that I want this TC to run my magicjack and thats it. I don't care about the CID spoofing or any other addons.

I bought that magicjack for my wife to use as a home phone when she is home alone with our daughter. We started exceeding the minutes on the cell phone plans so I decided to give the magicjack a try. My PC is having issues with the magicjack (freezing -- its in dire need an OS reinstall, I don't wholly blame the MJ for those PCs issues) and its not practical to use the magicjack with my MacBook -- it works perfectly fine with the MB.

I have an old powerbook that my dad uses every now and then - that thing has a 512mb ram module in it. I plan on stealing that 512mb module back from him and using it in the TC. I was going to *try* and get the MJ to work on the 192mb drive. I am IT guy, so I dont think it'll be too much of a challenge. If that doesn't go well, I'll spring for the upgraded DOM module.

I've found a thread that pointed me to an older version of the OS to install on the TC (SP28963) which is smaller in size and better for the 192mb drive. That same thread also details what needs to get deleted program wise and extraneous file wise. Should be interesting and I'm up for a challenge. I have more than enough USB drives to transfer files -- that is definitely not an issue. I even had a USB -> IDE/EIDE/SATA adapter. So I could use an old HDD for the transfer.

I appreciate your advice ... any further advice would also be appreciated
lymon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Yep, IT guy here too, but I have a dire patience deficit unless I'm being paid by the hour Laughing

Keep us posted on how the 192 install goes. I am definitely curious about how much/little of a hassle it is.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject:

lymon wrote:
Yep, IT guy here too, but I have a dire patience deficit unless I'm being paid by the hour Laughing

Keep us posted on how the 192 install goes. I am definitely curious about how much/little of a hassle it is.

Lymon,

I agree with almost everything in your post from above except for this piece:

"I think that the popular wisdom is that 256/256 is the minimum flash/ram combination for proper installation, with 512/256 preferred. Even with this amount of flash/ram you may have to remove some standard un-needed TC stuff and make a couple of other tweaks to your TC."

The 512/256 may be doable but the last (and it will remain the last because I share your "patience deficit") I wrestled a T5700 until it had me wright were it wanted me and that was seriously considering a large glass of wine a hot bath and a straight razor.

As soon as I replaced the 256 SODIMM with 512 everything started to fall into place as it did prior to the DirectX update by MagicJack. Coincidence regarding the 512 RAM very possible but way to painful to ever give it a try again especially when you can buy a 512 SODIMM from eBay for $8 dollars (New with a 30 day guarantee I might add).

@ Delta-9 - I wish you the very best in your attempt to make it work on 192/256 and if you do, at least in my book, you will have entered the level of the Gods or at the very least Thomas A. Anderson AKA "Neo". Laughing
Delta-9
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject:

I did end up picking up a used 512mb ram module from eBay ($9 shipped, too cheap).

I can see myself giving in and springing for the 512mb DOM if this figures to be too much of a task.

Since this Thin Client is shipping UPS ground from CA to PA, I don't necessarily want to wait another ~2 weeks to get this thing working. Might be worth it to just order the DOM, now.
GuyOnTheAir

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Any sources?

Any good sources for the Transcends DOMs and such? I got my 192/256 TC working with mJ fine, but I want to add .NET so I can use the call spoofer, and there's not enough space to add .NET framework.

So, I want to get the larger flash HD, and some RAM, too. Looks like eBay is a good place for RAM. How about the DOM?

Thanks in advance!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
stroths

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Any sources?

GuyOnTheAir wrote:
Any good sources for the Transcends DOMs and such? I got my 192/256 TC working with mJ fine, but I want to add .NET so I can use the call spoofer, and there's not enough space to add .NET framework.

So, I want to get the larger flash HD, and some RAM, too. Looks like eBay is a good place for RAM. How about the DOM?

Thanks in advance!

I have them linked in my sticky or you can click the link in my signature.
GuyOnTheAir

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject:

I should have come back here and noted that, as I subsequently found and ordered a 1GB replacement DOM due to the info in your sticky.

Woohoo!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Delta-9
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject:

This has been a comedy of errors.

First of all, I mistakenly ordered the incorrect 512mb memory module from eBay. DDR vs DDR2 - DOH.

I did manage to get the MagicJack software to work, I simply "shared" my c:\windows\INF folder from my XPSP2 PC and when I installed the drivers I pointed the install to that network folder which I mounted from my regular PC. After freeing up ~54mb of space on the 192mb DOM.

So I have the TC running -- but the software / driver combination doesn't seem to work. I've posted some questions here in another thread to try and get the correct software version of the older MagicJack software to try and get this to work.

If I givein and buy a 1gb DOM -- what is the best version of stroh's files to use for my T5700?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: