magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thin Client User Review For Use With Magic Jack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flybeech
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Thin Client User Review For Use With Magic Jack Reply with quote

What are the best and worst of thin clients for use with the magicJack?

Could TC users review their experience with various thin clients? What are all the different makes and models of thin clients that will work with MJ?

What operating systems, programs and set-ups that make your MJ set up really cool?

Please post photos, links or anything that would help a total noob to the world of magicJack used with thin clients.
oldtimercurt
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Read 2 em Reply with quote

Have you read through the "Thin Client" forum? There's a wealth of info there.
flybeech
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not read every thread in the TC forum and forgive me for board clutter if a thriving review thread already exists where users compare, rate, rant and rave about their experience the many different thin clients available and show-off their installations.

I was hoping to expand my scope of available thin clients in a comparison thread, know which ones to avoid, and see photos of more experienced magicJack users installations. I am sure there are some impressive installations built around the magicJack.
roving
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: MJ thin client Reply with quote

I opened the box containing my recently ordered TC 5710 about 1 pm today. By 3 o'clock it was up and operating, as I was delayed with a router problem, which I cured. I paid $59.95 for the MJ programmed TC plus $9.95 s&h. I found it on ebay. It also had IE 5 on it as well as XPe, and was cleaned of all other programs. I plugged in the various cords, hooked my screen to it and a keyboard and the MJ and phone and was making calls shortly after. This model had the 256/256 and the speed was excellent, in my view. This will be my long distance phone when in Mexico, and is my long distance phone while in the states. Calls to my MJ number are forwarded to my home land line. I was amazed how easy it was to set up. I hope this removes some of the mystery of the installation process.
flybeech
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear you are having good luck with your new HP t5710. It appears the HP t57xx is the "industry standard", becoming the "small-block Chevy" of thin clients running magicJacks.

I have found an HP Neoware e90 for almost nothing and I'm going to try to configure it as soon as I have the chance. I know the Neoware is sort of an orphan and a novice like me, should probably stay in the mainstream, but the HP t57xx series is becoming so popular, they aren't the throw-aways that some of the other thin clients are.

What are some of the alternative thin clients others have successfully used? What are some good alternatives besides the very popular HP t57xx series? Also, has anyone determined what minimum and recommended system requirements for processor, Flash ROM and RAM capacity when the thin client is used exclusively for magicJack telephony?
stroths
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flybeech wrote:
...Also, has anyone determined what minimum and recommended system requirements for processor, Flash ROM and RAM capacity when the thin client is used exclusively for magicJack telephony?

RAM - 256mb minimum. You could technically go with less and use a paging file, but it would slow down performance. 51mb+ recommended.

Flash ROM - This really depends on the OS and if XPe, how the Mfgr set it up. I don't think you can give a minimum across all thin clients because of those variations. With the HP t57xx series, it's 192mb but that requires quite a bit of file stripping.

CPU - I am sure you could get away with a fairly low speed CPU (i.e. 300MHz), but the quality of your calls will be impacted. I would suggest an 800MHz-1Ghz minimum.
Popgory
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flybeech wrote:
....What are some of the alternative thin clients others have successfully used? What are some good alternatives besides the very popular HP t57xx series?

Early HP 57xx uses a Trasmeta processor, Wyse model use a VIA processor. While there is a difference between emulators and actual x86 class processor - it is the size of the DOM and Flash that makes the grade. The HP and its tweaks are very well documented here.

As for myself, I have only used the Wyse WinTerm - with complete satisfaction. I have been able to get info on the unit. As long as you are able to get info on the TC that you are using, you should be in good shape.
flybeech
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received my new thin client today, a brand-new HP Neoware e90 128/256 (Linux) for $32. I had a 1GB memory module laying around and ordered a 1GB Transcend Flash ROM for $16.70. I'm downloading the XPe for 1GB and will learn what to do next. As a total noob to thin clients, I hope I can get this job done, but the learning is half the fun.

I realize that the step-child Neoware is not mainstream, but I'll give it a try. Now, I'm searching the forum for how-to's for installing the OS and what to do next. I am very grateful to all the good postings I have found here.
jayhawk
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed a magic jack today on a Neoware m100 notebook thin client I bought on ebay a month ago for $58 (including shipping). the m100 is a notebook/laptop with a 15" TFT screen, weight 5.5 lbs, and has 512Mb RAM and 1Gb flash drive. (was advertised as 512 Mb flash, but turned out to have 1GB ) XPe installed. Most of these m100's listed on eBay have very high starting prices ($250+) but there really does not seem to be anyone bidding on these.

It was a simple 2 or 3 minute standard Magic Jack install, and it is running great with the lid closed and the screen off. No tweaking of any kind required (other than turning off the write protect utility for the flash drive.)

I suspect other neoware thin clients that are running XPe would work well too.

--jayhawk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: