Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Thin Client vers laptop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nighthawks
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Thin Client vers laptop

What would be the power consumption of a laptop verses a thin client?
Diggs
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject:

Laptop power supplies are rated at 65W - 160W and since they get hot I have to assume they are using a good deal of their rated capacities. The power supply on my thin client is rated at 24W and never gets warm.
nighthawks
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Diggs wrote:
Laptop power supplies are rated at 65W - 160W and since they get hot I have to assume they are using a good deal of their rated capacities. The power supply on my thin client is rated at 24W and never gets warm.

Ok, thanks for the info. Between the thin client and laptop, the laptop would be easier to update windows than the thin client, this image, that image. I got my TC, MJ ready and pluged it in and left it alone, I haven't messed with it.

What about these Netbooks, can they run MJ? If so whats there power req.
Diggs

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject:

nighthawks wrote:
I got my TC, MJ ready and pluged it in and left it alone, I haven't messed with it.

So why are you looking to put it on a laptop or netbook when your thin client his working perfect?

Windows updates? On a thin client? Hmmm - never seen such. Just image the thin client (per HP or Wyse), add a firewall and anti-virus if you want (I don't use anti-virus) and plug in Magic Jack.
nighthawks
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject:

Diggs wrote:
nighthawks wrote:
I got my TC, MJ ready and pluged it in and left it alone, I haven't messed with it.

So why are you looking to put it on a laptop or netbook when your thin client his working perfect?

Windows updates? On a thin client? Hmmm - never seen such. Just image the thin client (per HP or Wyse), add a firewall and anti-virus if you want (I don't use anti-virus) and plug in Magic Jack.

Just wondering between both. Never ran windows update on the TC, but on a laptop you can. I don't use AV, just a firewall. Running a neoware 400 MHz with 256 Ram. this is what it came with. Running into a few issues.
I hooked up mouse/key/mon. A few times the TC locked up and I couldn't get into it with Teamviewer. Now the TC won't go into monitor power saver mode, A few times when I lost power to the TC, MJ wouldn't come all the way up, it would say I needed to register it, but when I did a power botton shut down it would boot up with no problems. Another thing is the MJ update.exe, when I run it, it says "your in luck" before I ran in I looked at magicjack.exe and it has a version number of 2.0.554.6, and after I ran the update it says the same thing, unless I'm looking at the wrong program.

Maybe I'll go with an HP TC something around 1meg+ with 1meg+ ram, I feel this one is a bit slow.
Diggs

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject:

You mentioned 256MB or RAM but how much C: FLASH ram does it have. If that is only 256 MB then I would guess that is the issue. I also believe the 400 MHz to be a bit slow. I see my CPU peak at 100% now and then during a phone call on my 800 MHz t5710. BTW - I run 512/1GB memory modules on it and the upgrade/downgrade happened gracefully. Even kept my contacts.
tony
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject:

nighthawks wrote:

Using a power consumption meter, my laptop with docking bay and 3 external monitors consumes 22 watts. My TC consumes 9 watts. The power supply rating is much higher. Similar to a car with 250 HP engine. At highway speeds you only need 25 HP to overcome wind resistance and maintain 100 km/hr - 60 mph, not the rated 250 HP.

Curious as other people who have responded, if you have a TC working, why the question? Is there something else you're thinking of?
kleeb
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Sylvania Netbook $99

I came here looking because CVS drugstores began selling a 7" netbook for $99. That seems to be in TC territory, so I am hoping to see some comparing and contrasting. Maybe the netbook is easier to set up, plus it is travel-ready.

Lee
Diggs

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Hmmmm - Netbooks running Windows CE will not run magicJack.
kleeb
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Wow, that information certainly is key! Thanks.

Lee
newtoncd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject:

You can always pick up an Acer AR1600 for $100-$150 ... very low power consumption and it runs Windows XP Home ... with a memory upgrade, will run Windows 7.

Acer Aspire Revo 1600
Off (watts) 1.46
Sleep (watts) 2.57
Idle (watts) 16.61
Load (watts) 21.49
Raw (annual kWh) 68.49882
EnergyStar compliant Yes
Annual operating cost (@$0.1135/kWh) $7.77
tony
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Sylvania Netbook $99

kleeb wrote:
I came here looking because CVS drugstores began selling a 7" netbook for $99. That seems to be in TC territory, so I am hoping to see some comparing and contrasting. Maybe the netbook is easier to set up, plus it is travel-ready.

Lee

The portability and ease of setup aside, I plugged in my Asus EEE net book and at steady state, it consumes 14 to 15 watts. That's 6 watts more than the TC. So not much meaningful savings running a netbook over TC for an individual.

Where I live electricity costs about 7 cents/ kWh. Running a netbook will cost you an extra $1 every 99 days based on the extra 6 watts it consumes relative to a TC. Or an extra $3.70/year. So electricity costs is an unimportant criteria when deciding on which PC to run the MJ. Even between a desktop and a TC, it takes years in electricity savings to pay for a TC bough off eBay. I did the calculation elsewhere in these forums and I figured we'd be onto new technology and MJ will become obsolete long before the TC paid for itself versus running the MJ on a full blown desktop.

Still the TC has a certain neat factor sitting there silently running your phone.
stevereno
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Thin clients have a solid state C drive (no spinning hard drive, no fans... no moving parts). Netbooks/Laptops are not made for 24x7x365 usage.
nitemare
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject:

stevereno wrote:
Thin clients have a solid state C drive (no spinning hard drive, no fans... no moving parts). Netbooks/Laptops are not made for 24x7x365 usage.

Yes, that is the KEY point. TC will outlast any netbook or laptop. Do you really want to risk your netbook breaking? Not me. Ill stick with my TC that is silent and has not moving parts and should never break.
telltom
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject:

i have a neoware c100 i bought from Alpman last year. It has a 6 gb drive. Originally he put in a 4 gb. Not a flash drive. It's a mini hard drive. Alpman flashed it with windows, but i decided to install Windows custom blend using Nlite. Works fine so far. I update using Teamviewer software. I restarts automatically wiith a power failure. I do miss the MJ software interface. I'm sick i know.
jeison
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject:

Hi, i bought on e-bay a lot of five HPt5720`s , 512 RAM, 512 FLASH memory, i removed the flash memory on all of them, and installed IDE 2.5 30GB hard drives,

i run full versions of WIN XP PRO. 32 bits , i did not upgrade the RAM, man, they run really nice, i have no problens at all with any of them, the hard drives make some heat, but no a big deal

i`m very happy with my set up,, i have different area codes on all of them, becouse in my line of work i am on the road 90% of the time, so i can call home local, not matter where i am,

i also have a t5700 with 512 RAM, i installed a 1gb CF high speed memory card , running xpe, wich is very unestable, with all kind of problens, but it is not unestable becouse of the TC, it is becouse the
CF card & win xpe combination,
for i tried this set up on my t5720`s
with the same results,

so my nex project is to install a 2.5 hard drive to the t5700, if i figure out how to place it inside the tc case.

as for power consumtion, it soes not really matter, what i like of the TC`S is the small size, and the fact they ran MAGICJACK dedicated

i don`t like to run mj. on my main pc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: