Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Thin Client VS Laptop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
onasre1
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Thin Client VS Laptop

Hello

This is my First Post here , So Hola..

Well , the thing is that i was Going to buy thin Client to plug my mj , so i dont have to run my $700 Dell Computer all the time , and thin client on ebay they were from $40 and up .. So i thought why the Heack buy thin client when i just Can use this $40 to buy laptop , Pentum2 and up , so i start searching on Ebay for Cheap Used Laptop , and i got Plenty , i bought One for $60 including the shipping .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=220265422273

but befor i bought P2 for only $33 with the shipping .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=130243042856

but when i found the p3 i decided to resell the p2 and keep the p3 .

so what you think guys

i got it , installed Xp , pluged My MJ , Ready to Go...

So you spending your $50 Any way why not Laptop instaed of Thin Client , they use about the Same Voltage 12v-20v.. at least with the laptop u still can go online without having to have extra monitor . more space more Rams .. the size between the laptop and Thin Client not Much Diferent realy ..

so what you think Guys .......
prberg
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject:

funny.. I was just thinking about this same question. I had an extra laptop and thought it would make a good MJ client. The nice thing about the thin client is that is doesn't have a hard drive spinning all the time and using more energy. I am trying to figure a way to load the MJ into the RAM of the laptop so the hard drive can spin down... But it seems that a laptop is a good option too.

-peter
PTravel
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject:

Before I started playing with thin clients, I used to run my MJ on a laptop (along with a lot of other software -- ftp server, vnc server, etc.). It worked fine except, (1) the laptop used close to 90 watts, (2) a lot of that 90 watts was dissipated as heat, and (3) the laptop's fan was noisy. Accordingly, I kept it in a closet, which meant running phone wires to it, adding a wireless access point (as I couldn't easily run CAT5 to the closet), and that closet got HOT! The "shelf life" of a laptop is also likely to be considerably shorter because of the spinning hard drive, spinning fan, and increased heat experienced by the components.

With a thin client, I'm drawing around 30 watts, it runs much cooler and, best of all, it is completely silent with not a single moving part. The thin client sits on a book shelf near my other computer gear, is now integrated into my gigabit lan (actually a gigabit segment), serves as a NAS hosting a couple of USB drives, hosts my HP scanner (and functions as a handy copy machine when I need one) and, generally, earns its keep by making itself useful in all sorts of ways.

There's no reason not to use a cheap laptop if it works for you. However, because of the heat, power and noise issues, you may find it less versatile than a thin client (or two -- I've now got three at home and one in the office).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: