magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

thin client with wireless PCI card/wireless USB stick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paperwastage
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: thin client with wireless PCI card/wireless USB stick Reply with quote

has anyone tried putting in a wireless card into a HP thin client?

i'm thinking of putting linux on a thin client with a master(AP) wireless card in there, loading up HostAP, and making this device a router... <$100 for a router with other capabilities, why not try?

it says that hp thin clients use USB 1.1, which isn't nearly enough for wireless speeds... so i guess the only way is to use a wireless PCI card, or a usb2.0 PCI device, with a USB WiFi stick
PTravel
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't done it with Linux, but I'm running a t5720 with a Belkin USB wifi card and it runs fine. This is not, however, my MagicJack machine, but a "kitchen computer" that I've been setting up to run Slingplayer.
paperwastage
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PTravel wrote:
I haven't done it with Linux, but I'm running a t5720 with a Belkin USB wifi card and it runs fine. This is not, however, my MagicJack machine, but a "kitchen computer" that I've been setting up to run Slingplayer.

how were the speeds? USB 1.1 says 12Mbit/s.... that's wireless b speeds... i was looking at wireless g/n...
paperwastage
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paperwastage wrote:
PTravel wrote:

how were the speeds? USB 1.1 says 12Mbit/s.... that's wireless b speeds... i was looking at wireless g/n...

well, it's too late to say ya or na.... got a good deal off ebay for a T5710 with expansion slot and wireless card....
PTravel
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for the t5710, but the t5720 has, I'm pretty sure, USB 2.0. It works fine for me.
paperwastage
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PTravel wrote:
I can't speak for the t5710, but the t5720 has, I'm pretty sure, USB 2.0. It works fine for me.

well, the t5720 seems to be selling for at least 50% more than what i paid for my t5710(with expansion slot)....

will post back to see how i did, whether its worth paying a little more to get more out of routing capabilities
lockmaster
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: hp thin client and wireless adapter Reply with quote

I am running a HP 5700 thin client for Magic Jack support on my home network using a Trendnet TEW424UB wireless usb adapter and Trendnet 432BRP wireless router without any problems. There are also several other computers connected to the network which doesn't seem to slow down MJ operation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: