Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Things to do with your worthless subscription!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SARBound
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Things to do with your worthless subscription!

I just got off live chat...

I still have 1+ year subscription on my classic MJ and I ordered MJ+. My goal is to use my current number with my new MJ+.

Support agent said that in order to perform this, at no extra charge, I must choose a new number for the new MJ+ upon activation, and switch the numbers around in the MJ website control panel...

That would make it feel less like a ripoff... I would therefore be able to assign this "new" number to my classic MJ and give it out as a gift for the remaining duration of the subscription.

Can anyone confirm this? I've never seen any proof of that being possible. Would anyone have a screencap of the control panel showing this?

Thanks!

SARBound Confused Confused
kleeb
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:00 am    Post subject:

Today, my new mJ+ showed up in the mailbox, and I plugged it into the computer that usually had my old mJ. After awhile the usual soft phone appeared but without any information except, in the ad space, it said I can register later and make a few calls first, or click to register now. I did that.

mJ opened a small window and walked me through some choices. I should have taken notes. First, it asked if I bought the mJ+ (a)over the web or the toll-free phone number or (b)from a retailer. I clicked the web/phone one.

It asked if I want to get a new phone number, use the number of an existing mJ account or not have a number at all. I clicked for the existing number and it gave me all of my existing mJ account phone numbers, exactly 1, and I put my mouse over that number and clicked.

It then asked if I wish to unplug the mJ+ from the computer and plug it into an outlet and attach an Internet cable or leave it in the computer. I chose to leave it in the computer.

It then filled in the soft phone with my number and showed all of my contacts, but no call history. I picked up the phone and called a number that gives the time and temperature in the city of my birth, and the call worked.

Now, in the Windows Task Master, I ended the magicJack application, unplugged the mJ+ and took it to the router and connected it. I connected a phone, got a dial tone, called my GV number, which rang the house phone (Sipgate) and my cell phone, as expected.

I then plugged my original mJ into the computer where I had registered the new mJ+. The soft phone appeared with the original call history and with the original mJ phone number. So now both mJs have the same number. I expect to be able to use them both, with the same number on both. We'll see; for now, I will retire to bed.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:35 am    Post subject:

kleeb wrote:
called my GV number, which rang the house phone (Sipgate) and my cell phone, as expected.

Not to hijack the thread (too late), but did you try setting up your MJ number as one of your forwarding numbers on GV? I've had nothing but issues with mine for a few weeks, and am at my wits end trying to even narrow the blame on MJ or GV.
SARBound
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject:

I would appreciate it if you would start a different thread for your problems regarding call forwarding /Google Voice. In your reply, you say that you clicked "use current number", so in this case, both of your MJs were linked to the same number.

My post was intented to determine if anyone tested the process of getting a new number when activating their new MJ+ and switching the numbers around in the control panel afterwards, in order to keep their remaining "classic" subscription alive and linked with a new (unimportant) number, and associate their new MJ+ with their original number they have been using for a long time.

Thanks...
toyfountain
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject:

SARBound wrote:

My post was intented to determine if anyone tested the process of getting a new number when activating their new MJ+ and switching the numbers around in the control panel afterwards, in order to keep their remaining "classic" subscription alive and linked with a new (unimportant) number, and associate their new MJ+ with their original number they have been using for a long time.

Thanks...

New MJ+, just received this week.
Old original MJ paid to Now 10, 2012

I just did this on mine today on dec 3
1) registered the MJ+ with the same number as the original MJ.
2) Went to to magicjack.com and logged in.
3) verified that both MJ+ and MJ have the same number.
4) selected the normal MJ and changed the phone number to a new one. It was free for a US number but $10 a year for a canadian number.
5) voila, it's done, the original number is set to the new MJ+ and I chose a new US number for free on the old original MJ to be able to call out and receive calls from others.
jeffnyc
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Did your contract time transfer over? I had bought the 5 year plan so I have close to 3 years left. Would that 3 years be added to the mj+ account if I register it with that number?
toyfountain
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject:

jeffnyc wrote:
Did your contract time transfer over? I had bought the 5 year plan so I have close to 3 years left. Would that 3 years be added to the mj+ account if I register it with that number?

No, I have an end date of Dec 2, 2012 on the new MJ+ and an end date of Nov 10, 2012 on the original MJ. At least now I can give the old MJ to my daughter and she can use it up to Nov 10, 2012. It's not a complete loss. I had just renewed for 1 year. I was always doubtful of the five year plan agreement.
jeffnyc
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Ok, that sucks. I have the half price offer right now and I am debating pulling the trigger, but I am semi content with obihai/gv and dont really need another number. (The way you get the 1/2 price offer is to plug original and get the ad). Someone posted link in other thread. ($34.95+ $8 shipping)
SARBound
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject:

toyfountain wrote:

I just did this on mine today on dec 3
1) registered the MJ+ with the same number as the original MJ.
2) Went to to magicjack.com and logged in.
3) verified that both MJ+ and MJ have the same number.
4) selected the normal MJ and changed the phone number to a new one. It was free for a US number but $10 a year for a canadian number.
5) voila, it's done, the original number is set to the new MJ+ and I chose a new US number for free on the old original MJ to be able to call out and receive calls from others.

Hi! What you just did is what I originally thought I would need to do, i.e. pay 10 $ for a new canadian number on either one of the devices.

The customer service agent I chatted with told me (see orig post) that if I chose a new number to go with my MJ+, it would be possible to switch the numbers around for FREE, afterwards.

If anyone tried this with a canadian number, would you have the kindness to inform us?

Thanks!
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject:

I put my old MJ account with three years remaining on my Apple Itouch MagicJack app.
SARBound
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:59 am    Post subject:

Just a quick note to let everyone know that everything is working flawlessly.

Once you activate a second "subscription" for your account, the control panel changes a little bit and allows you to display data for either one of your subscriptions (the one related to the MJ or MJ+). This is where you can assign either one of your numbers to the magicJack of your choice.

So what I did is assign my new number (the one I got when I activated the MJ+) to my older magicJack, and assigned the number I have been using for 1+ year to my new MJ+.

Enjoy your magicJack+ Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: