Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Things to know about MJ before signing up?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJKobe
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: Things to know about MJ before signing up?

I was thinking of signing up for MJ, anything I would need to know before signing up?

I mean I've read that MJ is imposing some limit to their supposedly unlimited calls, so whats the limit per month? Can we really use MagicJack service without the MagicJack device itself?

Thanks in advance.
oldtimercurt
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Things to know

MJKobe, there's tons of stuff you can find by reviewing postings in these forums. Probably everything you ever wanted to know, and some you didn't, about MJ can be found in these posts. Invest a bit of time reviewing them. After you have digested the info, if you have specific questions, I'm sure many will be happy to point you in the right direction.

Good Luck

OTC
msiam

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject:

If you are going to get one, do it Today at Radio Shack.. $29.99 today only
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Test your VoIP connection before you spend your money on MJ or other VoIP service.

I get a 3.8 to Boston on the drop down destination menu.

http://www.testyourvoip.com

Smile
olamoree
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Knowing your score, so what can I do to improve it?

Hi Matt, good info, but... how can one improve the score? I have cable internet at 1024 and got a measly 3.2... what can I do to improve the score? Thanks.
maine-iac

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject:

Call your cable ISP to increase your speed and pay the extra bucks to do so.
msiam

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject:

TruDat from Maine-iac, your Phone bill has been cut down a lot by using MJ so you can throw a little more at some speed and enjoy the thrill of flying around the internet.. Smile
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject:

maine-iac wrote:

I beg to disagree. Link speed is a very minor component of the MOS score. Look at the detailed results after running the routine at testyourvoip.com and you will have a better understanding of what comprises the MOS score. The biggest cause of VOIP problems is jitter which is totally independent of bandwidth.

Also run the test at myvoipspeed.visualroute.com and see their highly detailed analysis.

FWIW, avoid making a purchase direct from MJ. Use walmart, best buy or radio shack. You will have a much easier transaction minus the MJ direct hassles.

Good luck

Crackerjack
kellerpaul
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject:

[quote="crackerjack"]
maine-iac wrote:

FWIW, avoid making a purchase direct from MJ. Use walmart, best buy or radio shack. You will have a much easier transaction minus the MJ direct hassles.

I think you mean 'Walgreens', not 'WalMart'.

Smile Paul
olamoree
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject:

When I first found MJ, Jan 2008 and signed up, the politic at the moment obliged the ReSeller to provide you with technical support. I didn't think that Joe Blow from down the street had access or knowledge of the constantly changing workings of MJ, so I always recommended direct purchase from MJ. I see now that they have dropped that plan but that doesn't mean that MJ chat is any better.... LOL. So now, I would say go to the cheapest price/special.

On my home computer I have a perpetual Error 401.... I have spent HOURS on Chat and even had LiveLook intervention without success... the tekkie said "You have too many programs on your computer!" and dumped me promising a RMA but when I plugged my MJ into another computer, it worked fine. Now I am wondering, just what is that one program too many.

All in all, I like the MJ service as I spend a lot of time in a 26 cent/minute country and it saves me and my callers a lot of $.
maine-iac

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject:

crackerjack wrote:
maine-iac wrote:

I beg to disagree. Link speed is a very minor component of the MOS score. Look at the detailed results after running the routine at testyourvoip.com and you will have a better understanding of what comprises the MOS score. The biggest cause of VOIP problems is jitter which is totally independent of bandwidth.

In searching the forum, you will find some who have claimed that faster ISP speeds fixed their problem. Your mileage may vary.
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject:

maine-iac wrote:
crackerjack wrote:
maine-iac wrote:

In searching the forum, you will find some who have claimed that faster ISP speeds fixed their problem. Your mileage may vary.

There are also those who claim to have perfected cold fusion. Saying don't make it so!!!

Only if the ISP also changed their routing to a more stable connection with less latency, packet loss and jitter as a consequence of boosting the bandwidth will voice quality improve!!

Don't mean to be contentious but dem's da facts. The laws of physics are still immutable this side of the event horizon...

Later

Crackerjack
xxM5xx
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: testing

Call me to help me test mine.

(315)573-7120

Thanks,

David
awace
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: before you buy magic jack

Goto radio shack and buy one they work out of the box use one normal telephone . select handset so the thing will ring on youre computer threw speakers then use it set up email account w real name and address for 911 then set up youre v mail it works i suggest not letting youre computer to sleep but you can sleep harddrive also once vmail set up and you have youre number you can unplug it and still get voice mail then when you call youre number you can get vmail also you can replug magic jack and it will say you have vmail I also suggest to let it update it self lucky you then it seems to work better but every time you replug magic jack remember to click use handset so it will ring threw computer speakers.
awace
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: before you buy magic jack

Goto radio shack and buy one they work out of the box use one normal telephone . select handset so the thing will ring on youre computer threw speakers then use it set up email account w real name and address for 911 then set up youre v mail it works i suggest not letting youre computer to sleep but you can sleep harddrive also once vmail set up and you have youre number you can unplug it and still get voice mail then when you call youre number you can get vmail also you can replug magic jack and it will say you have vmail I also suggest to let it update it self lucky you then it seems to work better but every time you replug magic jack remember to click use handset so it will ring threw computer speakers.
awace
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Knowing your score, so what can I do to improve it?

olamoree wrote:
Hi Matt, good info, but... how can one improve the score? I have cable internet at 1024 and got a measly 3.2... what can I do to improve the score? Thanks.

i only have 896K up and 1.5M down w my dsl and it works fine.!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: