Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
This magicJack has been blocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adgadg
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: This magicJack has been blocked

When I access MyMagicJack.com I can access my personal index but under Account Information it says "This magicJack has been blocked". How can I find out why I'm blocked and how to fix the problem???

The phone was working ok this morning but now I'm having all kinds of trouble. I can make calls but I hear no dial tone or ringing and I can't hear the people who answer the call and they can't hear me. What can I try to fix these problems?
gtburgin
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject:

I had that same problem. For me the reason was because the email address I used during installation/registration was different than the one I used to setup the account info. I was trying to login to my.magicjack.com using the former and should have been using the latter. Are you sure you're logging in with the correct email address?
gtburgin
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject:

My post was referring to your "This magicJack has been blocked" problem. I have no idea on the connection problem you cited.
adgadg
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: This magicJack has been blocked

That could be the problem. Do you know if there's any way I can contact anyone to get the correct login information???
gtburgin
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject:

If you cant remember the email your acct is set up with you'll have to go to the MJ website and navigate to the online chat support. They can tell you which email is your correct login. (they did for me).
gtburgin
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject:

If you do the online chat with a support person, just ask for your correct login to my.magicjack.com. DONT ask them to debug the "This MJ is blocked" error message or you may spend an hour or more on the chat session. If the problem still exists AFTER youve gotten the correct login email then you may have to have them debug the problem (god help you).
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject:

gtburgin wrote:
If you do the online chat with a support person, just ask for your correct login to my.magicjack.com.

I'd appreciate it if he reports back how MJ verified his identity. Maybe the full transcript with person info blanked out.

MJ doesn't ask for "secret questions." The only secure way they have to authenticate someone's identity is to email them at the email address the customer provided. If the customer doesn't have that email address any longer (or provided a bad address), I don't see how MJ can authenticate their identity while preventing others from impersonating a customer (having only their phone number).

The only thing I can think of is that they retain the credit card number. But, that presents problems. Many people may not be comfortable with that. They may not be comfortable providing it when asked (and not making a purchase). And, some people used Amex gift cards to purchase. What happens to them?

I'd really like to know how MJ handles these things. (I guess I could pretend to have lost access to my email address.).

Mark
gtburgin
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject:

" If the customer doesn't have that email address any longer (or provided a bad address), I don't see how MJ can authenticate their identity"

In my case I knew the email I used to register with and id'd myself as such. They then told me the other email I used when setting up the login for my.magicjack.com. If someone cant remember the installation/registration email I would hope tech support could ID them by their phone number.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject:

gtburgin wrote:
If someone cant remember the installation/registration email I would hope tech support could ID them by their phone number.

That's not secure. Let's say you call your friends who know you use MJ. They've got your phone number. Any one of them (a vindictive girlfriend) could contact chat support claiming to be you. "I don't have access to my email any longer. But, I have my phone number. Is that enough?"

Gets into your account, forwards all calls, change your 911 address, and change your phone number.

That's why I really hope the OP will report back with the transcript (personal info removed).

I suspect they keep the credit card number. But, if that's true, it will irritate a lot of people. And, not work for some.

Maybe when I get time (and am drunk enough to withstand a chat session) I'll give it a try myself. "I can't access my email any more. And, I don't have my credit card any more."

Mark
gtburgin
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject:

az2008, By the way, is there a place anywhere (wiki?) where you post updates on which proxy servers are choppy and which are not?
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject:

gtburgin wrote:
az2008, By the way, is there a place anywhere (wiki?) where you post updates on which proxy servers are choppy and which are not?

No. I haven't taken the responsibility to be the daily proxy tester (yet). Smile

We could create a wiki page called "Server Status" listing all the MJ regions. Anyone could update it on a daily basis with their observations (either their own region, or other regions if they change proxies).

The wiki can be edited by anyone. But, there hasn't been a lot of participation. So, I don't know how a status page like that would work. (It might just be me reporting Phoenix every day.).

Mark
gtburgin
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Maybe once I figure out how to check/change the proxy I'll volunteer to do at least one of em. On my to do list for tonight.
adgadg
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: This magicJack has been blocked

Thanks everyone for responding. The reason I'm here is that I've been unable to reach the chat support. Can anyone tell me how to do that?
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: This magicJack has been blocked

adgadg wrote:
Thanks everyone for responding. The reason I'm here is that I've been unable to reach the chat support. Can anyone tell me how to do that?

See the wiki page: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/MagicJack/Support_Resources/Requesting_Help

The very first paragraph describes how to do it. MJ makes you jump through a couple hoops before presenting the page to chat. Read the paragraph carefully.

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: