Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
This number has been disconnected or is no longer in service

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gear-Monkey
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: This number has been disconnected or is no longer in service

Hi, I am a new Magic Jack user, just got it from Radio Shack the other day. It works good and I'd like to disconnect my land line to save money. However, when people call me from 231-734-xxxx (Evart Michigan) they get this message:

"This number has been disconnected or is no longer in service"

But I can call it with my cell and my wife can call it from her work number, so I am not sure who, what, or why certain places can or cannot call me.

Also today while talking to dishnetwork, I gave them this number to call me back. When they called me back it rang, their number showed up on caller ID, but when I answered the phone, it was silent. They couldn't hear me nor could I hear them. They tried calling 3 times and all 3 times failed.

I did a quick search and can't seem to find anyone on here with similar issues. I also get the beep-beep issue. I am going to read the official resolution thread on that now while I wait for a response to this issue.

Thanks for your time.

P.S. I am in Michigan and am using a 616 (Grand Rapids) phone number. I wish they had (231) available, but they don't yet.
Gear-Monkey
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Okay, I did find something similar back in 2008.
http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/number-has-been-disconnected-and-is-no-loinger-in-service-t3279.html

Does this seem like the right solution for "this number is no longer in service"?

CodeMonkey wrote:
The way to fix this is to tell the chat dude that you have an error 400. THEN they will reset you and THEN everything will work.
Gear-Monkey
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject:

I contacted chat support and they said I should wait 2 hours and the issue should be resolved. He said they have to do something on their end. We did go through the firewall procedure adding magicjack1 5060 thingy..

He said error 400 isnt the problem because I see "Ready to call" on the interface /software.

Is this a blowoff by the support team or are they going to fix this? I was thinking about taking this unit back to Radio Shack and returning it for a different device if this one doesn't get resolved. I don't feel like wasting my time on this.

I read in rip-off reports of another person who had purchased two magicjack usb hardware units, one of the two had this very same problem and dealt with support for hours with no resolution.
http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/421/RipOff0421967.htm

Maybe I got a defective unit?

Quote:
Recieved 2 MagicJacks, both work OK dialing out 1 works recieving calls. The sound quality on both varies from good to terrible. However the main issue is that on one phone number when it is called everyone gets a recording 'were sorry this number has been disconected or is no longer in service.

I began working with magic jack 'customer service' about 2 weeks ago, spent many hours on the phone and aplied the 'magic fix' repeatedly. Made registery modifications, DNS server changes to connect directly to their server. Was told this was elevated to engineering and I would be recieving an email with the resolution. That was after my first day of trouble shooting
with the company.

A week later no email. another day of trouble shooting with various people and levels repeating steps and information. It is obvious most of the people did not even read what I had typed in the chat or the case. 5 days ago I was told I would hear back from engineering in 24-48 hours still nothing.

Of course they could have just tried a different number something I was promised would happen but never has. Try this at your own risk, because help will not be forth coming for anything out side of the basic issues.
Anjalena
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject:

I am curious to see what kind of response you get. I'm having the same problem with some people not able to call me. It pissed off my doctor's office, which pissed ME off cuz I'd been waiting for them to call me about a major health issue I'm having. I apologized profusely to them and asked them to just keep trying if they could.

Plus my son is in the early stages of moving out... mostly staying at his friends all the time and coming home a couple times a week to help me out with things. But I'm a worrying Mom and I want to know that he can get through to me if he needs to. Or if he has to go to the hospital, that the hospital can get through.

Was there possibly a recent update that screwed things up again? Please advise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gear-Monkey
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject:

Okay just took another shot at their online chat and accomplished nothing. They are "emailing an engineer". Here's what we did:

Al: Please unplug your magicJack. Now go to "Start" in Windows and click on "run". In there write regedit and press enter.

Al: Now click on + sign next to HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE.

Al: Click on + sign next to SYSTEM.

Al: Please do the steps below one at a time.

Al: Click on + sign next to CurrentControlSet.

Al: Click on + sign next to Enum.

Al: Now find the folder called USB. Right click on that and click on "Permissions". In permissions click on the check mark called "Allow" to the right of "Full Control". Click Ok.

Al: Now click on + sign next to USB and then find the two folders called "Vid1307", right click on one at a time and select delete.

Al: Now click on ( - ) Sign next to USB.

Al: Right click on Folder called USBSTOR and allow permissions.

Al: Now click on + sign next to USBSTOR.

Al: Find the folders called "CdRom&Ven_YMAX&Prod_MagicJack&Rev"and "Disk&Ven_YMAX&Prod_MagicJack&Rev".

Al: Now have someone call you MJ again.

ME: Still no worky

Al: I will be submitting a report to the engineers for them to take care and fix the problem for you Charlie. Expect an email from them within 48-72 hours from now regarding the resolution of this issue. Rest assured they can fixed the problem within the time frame I stated.

The first support agent "Jarred" said it was an issue on their end and would be fixed in "a couple hours". Now Al is telling me 2-3 days.

I'm taking it back to Radio Shack tomorrow and exchanging it for a new one. If that one gives me fits... I don't know what to do. Maybe try Skype.
maine-iac
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject:

Anjalena wrote:
I am curious to see what kind of response you get. I'm having the same problem with some people not able to call me. It pissed off my doctor's office, which pissed ME off cuz I'd been waiting for them to call me about a major health issue I'm having. I apologized profusely to them and asked them to just keep trying if they could.

Plus my son is in the early stages of moving out... mostly staying at his friends all the time and coming home a couple times a week to help me out with things. But I'm a worrying Mom and I want to know that he can get through to me if he needs to. Or if he has to go to the hospital, that the hospital can get through.

Was there possibly a recent update that screwed things up again? Please advise.

I have had magicJack for over a year and it has worked well but I would never depend on it as my only phone. It is advertised as a supplement to using your cell phone in your home and for free long distance and that is what I use it for. I keep a Cox phone for local and 911 use and use that number to give to others as it is far more reliable. However, when I initiate a long distance call, I use magicJack and it works well, FOR ME. MJ's free call beats Cox's 15 cents per minute any day. And that is OK. To expect anything more out of a device for $20 a year I think is unrealistic.
Anjalena
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject:

Yeah, but see... I'm disabled... and I live in subsidized housing... and I can't afford a cell phone and I was going into the hole with that $40 a month phone bill I had. So, yeah, I realize you get what you pay for... though the advertisements don't say "It's kinda a piece of junk, but you only pay $20/year for it!" heh. And my friends and family HATE my MJ, and most of the time I just accept it for what it is. I get frustrated sometimes. And I come here cuz hackers are the most wonderful people in the world when they're trying to help you fix a piece of crap. *laugh*

Mostly I just hoped that others were having the same problem recently and that there'd be folks working on finding a fix for it... just like with the insane "beep" issue. Which, OMG, I'm so grateful for this site for helping me fix that. And I can tell you that my Mother is insanely grateful too. *giggle*

**NOTE** ROFL!!! I find it hilarious that you can message yourself in AIM. I noticed all the little buttons at the bottom of my posts, and decided to click on the AIM one... and you can actually talk to yourself. Too funny.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gear-Monkey
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject:

I'm looking to completely disable my land line because I am sick of paying $45 bucks a month when I don't have to anymore since I have boradband.

I like MagicJack, I think it is a very cool gadget for only $20 a year. But I am going to return it for Ooma. Ooma is 100% free after I buy the boxes ($230 at Radio Shack) and I can keep my old phone number for an extra one time fee of $40.

Ooma, not being as cheap as Magic Jack, it is more dependable and much-much cheaper than my land line. It'll pay for itself in 6 months and I'll have trouble free service (I hope).

I really do wish Magic Jack worked for me. Maybe in the future I'll try it again.

EDIT:

I just got this email from the "engineer" at MagicJack in response to the "this number is no longer in service" response.

Quote:
It has come to my attention that you are having issues with incoming calls from specific numbers (231-734-xxxx, 231-734-xxxxx and 231-797-xxxx) that are AT&T customers. Please tell those numbers to contact AT&T and ask why they cannot complete calls to your number. It could be that AT&T has not updated their translation tables.

I guess the problem is with AT&T. /shrugs
Gear-Monkey
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject:

UPDATE: MAGICJACK WORKS NOW!

This is how I fixed it - Just changed the number.

Go to "Menu" > "Advanced users" > "My magic jack" and scroll down to "my.magicJack and click it. Next scroll down to "CHANGE PHONE NUMBER" and click "Details". With that, I changed the number. You can change your magicJack phone number one time for free., after that it's $10 each time.
Alesana
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Good to hear that.. And I think the reason could really be on your provider.. But really good to hear that you have no problems anymore.. Cheers.. xD
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
psquared59
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Number is disconnected or no longer in service

I'm using a Magic Jack Plus that I ported my Vonage number to. Certain friends (from their place of work) always get this message when calling.

"Chatted" with support and they escalated it over a week ago. No email, still not working. Is there any help here in ForumLand?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: