Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
THREE diferent MJ PLUS ... Is it the Router or Brighthouse ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WinRiddance
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: THREE diferent MJ PLUS ... Is it the Router or Brighthouse ?

My parents, Senior Citizens on a fixed income, received a MagicJack PLUS from us for Christmas back in December. Because of their reduced cash flow they immediately opted to upgrade to the 5 years of services which saved them even more money. Since then I've spent over 15 hours with the support chat, had the MJ PLUS device replaced twice ... most recently after my parents received a brand new Ubee DDW2600 fresh out of the retail package, and the damn service still won't work !!! We tried three different phones too.

MJ had their engineering take over our parent's computer twice in order to port forward the broadband router from Ubee, first the older one and last week the brand new Ubee router.

At this point my parents have resigned themselves to the fact that they'll never see their money again and now the question is ... what to do instead?

My suggestion was to switch them to Voipo since they have guaranteed services with a money back guarantee. They can try a month and if it works upgrade to the 2 year plan later. However ... it really irks me that they'll be cheated out of everything that they paid to MagicJack already, so I'm wondering if maybe there was never anything wrong with the 3 MJ PLUS devices that were tried ??? I've been hearing ruumors that Brighthouse may be getting into voip services too and if that's true, maybe Brighthouse has some kind of blocking going on for voip devices such as MagicJack PLUS ??? At least that would explain why none of the MJ PLUS nor the different phones would work.

So before my parents lose all of their money, does anyone know of a specific Broadband Router that's both Brighthouse and MJ compatible? I can find a new/different broadband router on eBay cheaper than buying into a whole new service ... but at this point my parents are only receptive to one final voip attempt before throwing anything voip related in the garbage at a loss of apx. $160 to them ...

Paul777
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject:

Is Brighthouse and ISP/DSL provider ? Call them up or contact them and ask specifically if they block VOIP traffic. It's likely the cause.
WinRiddance
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Welll, I'm at a loss. I just got off the phone with Roadrunner support after talking to Brighthouse first ... both assuring me that nothing is blocked aside from IP port forwarding which may need to be adjusted, depending on the model of router being used. They were very friendly, even giving me a direct line to their engineering ... ending the conversation with further assurances that the MJ PLUS problem could easily be corrected with direct conference calls between MagicJack and Roadrunner. But since MagicJack doesn't offer any support phone number, most especially not to elevated support, I guess I'll give up too and have my parents witch over to Voipo next week.

At least Voipo has a very good support reputation as well as a phone support number which means that even if their device should not function right from the get-go, at least we'll be able to get the support working together on the phone. Geeez, I feel absolutely horrible for making my parents put up with this baloney for the past few months, just so they can lose their money in the end. Very, very disappointed by MJ support ....

At the risk of sounding ridiculous, I'll be reporting MagicJack to the district attorney's office in Palm Beach county too. I have no problem with the MagicJack TOS as far as the 30 day replacement policy for a defective device is concerned, which already includes the first year of service. But I do take issue with the fact that that should have nothing at all to do with advance purchases of additional years which can't be used if the device can't be used. Those are additional charges that have nothing at all to do with the initial purchase or the initial 30 day trial period. Heck, it would take another 9 months *BEFORE* any of that pre-purchased time would be needed. As such, those additional years should certainly be refundable. I do believe that there's an element of consumer fraud there.

cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I guess I'll give up too and have my parents witch over to Voipo next week.

At least Voipo has a very good support reputation as well as a phone support number which means that even if their device should not function right from the get-go, at least we'll be able to get the support working together on the phone. Geeez, I feel absolutely horrible for making my parents put up with this baloney for the past few months, just so they can lose their money in the end. Very, very disappointed by MJ support ....

At the risk of sounding ridiculous, I'll be reporting MagicJack to the district attorney's office in Palm Beach county too.

Well, state attorney in PB county has nothing to do with this, unless you can prove that Dan committed a crime. You would have to talk to Florida Attorney General and I can assure you, that that fascist *itch does not have consumer protection on the top of her priority list. I would not waste the stamp.
There have been so many issues with MJ that anyone who did his homework and checked this forum ( or any other forum, for that matter) would not get the idea to sign up for 5 y service.
I think that voip.ms is an excellent choice for Canadians. Check it out. Smile
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject:

cell14 wrote:
I think that voip.ms is an excellent choice for Canadians.

Are you suggesting he move out of the country? Cool
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Are you suggesting he move out of the country? Cool

Oops. Embarassed Something made me think that he was a Canadian.
BTW voip.ms is not bad for Americans either, just not such a good deal.
Now, Google voice/ Obi would be # 1 for somebody on budget. Plus a ton of other options- callcentric, anveo, localhone, vitelity etcetc. Smile
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Ubee DDW2600 Router and MJ+

Step one in trouble shooting VOIP problems should always be to test that your LAN can support VOIP. To do that open a web browser which has javascript enabled and go to http://myspeed.visualware.com/indexvoip.php and run their tests on your LAN's capability for supporting VOIP.

If the results indicate that your LAN can support VOIP then step two is to make sure your router is not blocking your voip device (in this case MJ+).

Does the MJ+ function when attached to a computer rather than simply plugged into the router? If so then router settings may very well be the problem.

The manual for the Ubee DDW2600 router can be found HERE.

The easiest way to quickly test this is to place the MJ in what is called the DMZ where the router's firewall is not blocking any ports. (see page 36 of the manual)

You will need to have the MJ+ operate on a static ip address. Use the MAC address of the MJ+ (from it's sticker) and follow the instructions for assigning a static ip address to that MAC address using the DHCP features of your router. (see page 25 of the manual).

Once you have assigned the MJ+ a static and placed that ip in the DMZ then unplug the MJ+ and wait a minute then plug the MJ+ back in. If your not using the DMZ for anything else then you can just leave the MJ+ there.

If the MJ+ now works then your problem is in your router or it's settings. If the problem turns out to be in your router then one thing you may want to check is that UPnP is enabled. (see page 28 of the manual) And if it was not then after enabling it you can try removing the MJ+ from the DMZ, unplug/replug the MJ+ and see it works outside the DMZ.

If the problem is not in the router or LAN then there are several other things which can interfere with proper operation of the MJ+.

1) Are there any noise sources nearby (i.e cordless phone bases)?
2) Are the cables good (both power, phone and CAT-5)?
3) Try another phone plugged into the MJ+
WinRiddance
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject:

cell14 wrote:

You would have to talk to Florida Attorney General and I can assure you, that that fascist *itch does not have consumer protection on the top of her priority list. I would not waste the stamp.
There have been so many issues with MJ that anyone who did his homework and checked this forum ( or any other forum, for that matter) would not get the idea to sign up for 5 y service.
I think that voip.ms is an excellent choice for Canadians. Check it out. Smile

Thanks. The MJ mothership is registered in Palm Beach county, Florida, which is why I'd be addressing them. I do know a little bit about the law and this has nothing to do with the person Dan Borislow being a criminal, but rather with fraudulent business practices/policies of the ymax corporation behind MJ. Like I said, there's nothing wrong with refusal of paying back funds as long as such a refusal is legal. But you can't accept payment for 5 years of services WHICH WERE NEVER USED AT ALL without giving back that money. I'm not talking about the TOS which cover the MJ device with it's included first year of service ... I'm talking about the cost of extra services for which the starting dates are still months away.

Your remark ... "Anyone who did his homework or checked out this forum" ... is pretty darn self righteous and callous. I don't know about Canada but when I have places like Wal Mart, Radio Shack, or news media like CNN or FOX telling the world how "awesome" this product of the year is, you can hardly fault anyone for their lack of further research. We're not talking about people who bought into some "As Seen on TV" baloney. Furthermore, we have two MJ PLUS at our house which work perfectly fine directly off our router ... so there really was no reason for my parents to have any suspicions whatsoever. Last but not least ... the promos for additional years at only $100 bucks are right in your face during the registration process. At that point I'd think that at least 99% of people who are registering their device have no reason to foresee that this could be money down the toilet, especially not Senior Citizens who try to save money any way they can.

WinRiddance
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject:

@VaHam

Thanks a lot for all of the helpful info, but we've tried just about everything that you mentioned. Regardless if via the Windows7 computer with USB or directly from the router, the damn thing won't work. We have the same Internet service as my parents and we had the identical router until my parents got their new router a couple of weeks ago. We even have identical phones and yes, they're cordless. Our own primary cordless dect 6.0 are just inches away from the router/MJ PLUS and we have no problems at all with our MJ plus.

MJ engineering has already accessed my parents router remotely twice and they've tried 3 different MJ PLUS devices. Each of them did what they're supposed to to until the first call needed to be completed. There's a dial tone, you can call out, the number rings, but as soon as caller and callee attempt to speak to each other, they get cut off after the first second or two. Same in reverse, phone either rings and you can hear the other voice for just a second, or it goes directly to MJ voice mail. Call forwarding works fine too and we've tried 3 different types of phones. It's always the same ... NUTS !!!

Right at that point (after having tried to complete a call) the MJ PLUS phone light which was blinking slowly and steadily yellow as it should, now stays steady yellow with no blinking at all ... while at the same time the router port light which used to be green as it should ... now shows a steady orange light instead. I have spoken in person with both, Brighthouse elevated and Roadrunner elevated support, both of whom state that their's nothing wrong with the router and that voip services shouldn't be a problem at all. My parents ran out of patience a month ago and I'm out of patience now. We'll see how Voipo turns out and then I'll report back.

cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Thanks. The MJ mothership is registered in Palm Beach county, Florida, which is why I'd be addressing them. I do know a little bit about the law and this has nothing to do with the person Dan Borislow being a criminal, but rather with fraudulent business practices/policies of the ymax corporation behind MJ. Like I said, there's nothing wrong with refusal of paying back funds as long as such a refusal is legal. But you can't accept payment for 5 years of services WHICH WERE NEVER USED AT ALL without giving back that money. I'm not talking about the TOS which cover the MJ device with it's included first year of service ... I'm talking about the cost of extra services for which the starting dates are still months away.

Your remark ... "Anyone who did his homework or checked out this forum" ... is pretty darn self righteous and callous. I don't know about Canada but when I have places like Wal Mart, Radio Shack, or news media like CNN or FOX telling the world how "awesome" this product of the year is, you can hardly fault anyone for their lack of further research. We're not talking about people who bought into some "As Seen on TV" baloney. Furthermore, we have two MJ PLUS at our house which work perfectly fine directly off our router ... so there really was no reason for my parents to have any suspicions whatsoever. Last but not least ... the promos for additional years at only $100 bucks are right in your face during the registration process. At that point I'd think that at least 99% of people who are registering their device have no reason to foresee that this could be money down the toilet, especially not Senior Citizens who try to save money any way they can.

Another FL legal expert. Good for you.You will beat them. Wink
About the homework : Advertisement is not an unbiased info. Advertisement wants you to buy a product. Every day products are advertised which are useless,miserable or even unhealthy.
One part of the homework would be the discovery of the fact that MJ works for a number of people and for whatever reason does not work for others. The discovery of the fact that they do not have any CS in any real sense.
The discovery of the fact that Voip is such a volatile business that it is not wise to sign up for 5 years with anybody, let alone with somebody like MJ.
The discovery of the fact that MJ has a reputation of unscrupulous business practices.
I dropped MJ a few days ago after being a customer for years. There are better alternatives these days. I hope that you will find one of them. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: