magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TK6000 VS. MAGIC JACK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Alternatives to magicJack
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillyH
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: TK6000 VS. MAGIC JACK Reply with quote

What�s the difference from Vonage?

With the TK6000, you don�t have to pay $24.99 every MONTH! Just make 4 easy payments of $24.95 and you won�t owe another penny forever. Compare that to approximately $300 per year for service with Vonage!
TK6000 VS. MAGIC JACK

To use Magic Jack, you MUST have the following:

A computer with an available USB port (no need to have a computer with TK6000) with Windows XP, Windows Vista or Intel-based Apple MAC operating system (no need to upgrade or change an operating system with TK6000)

With Magic Jack, yearly fees start immediately you will be charged an annual fee for your phone service in addition to the cost of the device. With the TK6000, you won�t make another payment until your fourth year of service. After you�ve made your 4 easy payments of $24.99, you won�t owe another penny for your phone service!

With Magic Jack, you MUST have your computer turned on to make calls. If your computer is off, you can�t place a call and incoming calls go directly to voicemail.

There have been frequent complaints that Magic Jack slows down your computer � that there is a delay when calling in and a clicking while talking (clarity and quality of calls with theTK6000 is significantly better than Magic Jack WITHOUT tying up or slowing down your computer).

Magic Jack does NOT come with a warranty � only 30-day money back guarantee to return your product for a refund, and Magic Jack will NOT replace units sold by retailers if they go bad (TK6000 comes with a 1-year manufacturer�s warranty at no additional cost, and you have the option to purchase a 5-year extended warranty for just $19.95).

Magic Jack�s 30-day MBG starts 30 day count from ORDER DATE (we also have a 30-day MBG, but we don�t start counting down the 30 days until your product is shipped, giving you more time to decide to fire your phone company).

If you are using a wireless internet signal with Magic Jack, you have to have a strong wireless signal to achieve proper performance of your Magic Jack (no need to worry about this with TK6000 because it hooks DIRECTLY into your internet connection without the need for a computer).

Information compiled from Magic Jack.

https://www.tk6000.com/index.html
MJ User
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the fact it doesn't need a computer but wonder if the pricing scheme will allow it to last for the long haul. If new sales drop after a while then it might not be viable to keep funding the operations and upkeep needed to keep its support network functioning. What is the spacing of the four payments? With Magic Jack there is a monetary incentive for them to continue providing service year after year.
tloe
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like a veiled advertisement. Personally, if I wanted to spend $100+ on a voip system, I'd just buy an Ooma, as the hub/scout combo has dropped to about $180.
maine-iac
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: TK6000 VS. MAGIC JACK Reply with quote

BillyH wrote:
Magic Jack’s 30-day MBG starts 30 day count from ORDER DATE (we also have a 30-day MBG, but we don’t start counting down the 30 days until your product is shipped, giving you more time to decide to fire your phone company).

It is an advertisement.
BillyH
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: NetTALK Customer Service Reply with quote

What I like about NetTalk is Customer Service: (800) 961-8470 that you can contact for technical support, for help or about your order. With MagicJack you only have "Just Chat" Only Chat..... All you have to do is go to this link... Smile

https://www.tk6000.com/net-talk-customer-service.html
RobQ
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nettalk much better than Magic Jack so far. Call quality far different than MJ. I just keep my MJ as back up. Laughing
MagicJackLover
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
With Magic Jack, yearly fees start immediately you will be charged an annual fee for your phone service in addition to the cost of the device. With the TK6000, you won�t make another payment until your fourth year of service. After you�ve made your 4 easy payments of $24.99, you won�t owe another penny for your phone service!

Doesn't the fee start one year after your usage? TK6000 = $100 MagicJack = $40 + $69 for 5 year extension plan.

So theoretically you you are paying $9 more for a product that can be found in stores everywhere with a extensive data base of customer use and verified data that the product works over the years almost reliably.

Meanwhile you're paying $100 + shipping which is about the same for a product that hasn't made a name for itself, and you don't actually know how long their company will even last before the share holders cash in their stocks and file for bankruptcy. With that in mind, you should also note that you can't purchase more than 3 devices per household, and you also can't use the device in a business or commercial area such as call centers. I think I'll stick with MagicJack for now.
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, the Tk6000 is being sold with "lifetime" service for $100.00.

By all means, if you need more than 3 units, and are running a call center, then stick to the MJ. That makes sense. Good. Fine.

Amazing.
ret27m

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a TK and so far I like my MJ better, if TK improves there service in the future I could change my mind.
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ret27m wrote:
I bought a TK and so far I like my MJ better, if TK improves there service in the future I could change my mind.

I like the TK6000 better. Easier access to SIP creds and you can use the ATA and your sip creds on another device at the same time Wink Wink

Also available with 4X$25 payments and free shipping, 30 day trial and lifetime service. Ask me!!!!!!

Crackerjack
ret27m

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still too many negatives with my TK, I cant get a local number and they promised I would have one by November, Still no number porting available, they keep promising but haven't delivered and I get a lot of stuttering with mine, As of now my MJ operates Flawlessly but I'm hoping TK gets it together.
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ret27m wrote:
Still too many negatives with my TK, I cant get a local number and they promised I would have one by November, Still no number porting available, they keep promising but haven't delivered and I get a lot of stuttering with mine, As of now my MJ operates Flawlessly but I'm hoping TK gets it together.

Oh? You could port to MJ?? Wink
prestonlewis
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

11 digit dialing required by netTALK won't work for me and my family. We're used to either 7 digit local dialing or 10 digit MJ dialing. I'm not going to try to retrain everybody just for netTALK. They need to ditch that 11 digit dialing.

No Sacramento area phone numbers from netTALK. I'm not willing to use a phone number from the San Francisco Bay Area.
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

prestonlewis wrote:
11 digit dialing required by netTALK won't work for me and my family. We're used to either 7 digit local dialing or 10 digit MJ dialing. I'm not going to try to retrain everybody just for netTALK. They need to ditch that 11 digit dialing.

No Sacramento area phone numbers from netTALK. I'm not willing to use a phone number from the San Francisco Bay Area.

Almost all area code requests are being accommodated via the trouble ticket system.

I agree that 11 digit dialing was an odd choice for starters. Who thought that was a good idea? However, they are working to change their dialing to the more logical 10 digits.
phaelon56
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a couple months periodically checking threads and comments here and elsewhere in the process of choosing between MJ, Ooma and Nettalk.

The upfront price point of Ooma and the fact that they have already burned through over $60 million in venture capital had me wondering how long they will last. I like the price point of MJ but the comments about non-existent customer service and the need to have my PC on to use the phone were the major negatives.

I finally dropped the hammer on a TK6000 at $99.95 single payment and after a minor initial install glitch it is up and running nicely - so far so good.

Pluses:
- easy install and no PC needed
- both their telephone reps and replies on their Web site's support ticketing system have been fast, helpful and responsive

Minuses:
- no real voicemail system
- 11 digit dialing for all
- thus far have not been able to successfully use it for calls where an automated system asks me to "Press 1" etc.
- could not pull a number in my area code off the pick list on their web site when I first signed up
- no real user install documentation came with it

My situation is a bit different than that of the average phone user and this is a GREAT system for me despite the limitations. None of the minuses listed above are problems for me

- I'm using my existing home answering machine and thus far it's working perfectly well
- I have a work cell phone I can use for personal calls outside of work and only make/receive about 5 to 10 calls per week on my home phone
- I don't mind dialing 11 digits with the money I am saving
- can use the cell or call from work for the occasional call where I have to "Press 1" etc.
- called their technical support department and told them nicely that I'd have to return unit for refund if they could not give me a number in my area code... I got one assigned to me right away

So... I am well pleased and unlike some folks who drone on and on about how Nettalk will go out of business sooner than later - which maybe they will and maybe they won't... I am not worried about that.

I was making few LD or local calls and had Verizon's bare bones minimum cheapest land line plan but it still cost me $27 - $30 per month with tax. If Nettalk stays in business for more than four months past today's date I have already broken even on my investment and it's all gravy from there.

The current business models of all these companies will not survive in the long run but I suspect we'll see one fold, perhaps a merger between a few others and will then see some sort of annual service charge. Fine by me - I've been paying well over $300 per year for phone service that I almost never use.

Granted - my unit has been in service for just over one week and I have yet to make any calls that were over 15 minutes in length. But thus far my experiences with the product and the company have been very positive.
It did not "activate" and get an IP address when i first plugegd it in so I opened a support ticket. I found out from them that my Verizon DSL Westell 7500 modem had to be reset while the TK was turned off, then after Intenet light was back on the modem I could power back up TK and voila - I got my one ring a minute later and all worked well.

Their Mon to Fri 9 to 5 EST support hours mean that I could not be home to test anything while they were on the phone to provide support. When I complained about this they offered to have a support tech available to call me on a Saturday morning or weekday evening at a prearranged time to work through any remaining issues with me. THAT is good service.

** interesting side note: I was using 3 Meg copper Verizon DSL coming in on my dicey aging phone lines (crackle issues in wet weather). Initially the voice quality on TK was not quite up to par with the old landline. I just switched to FIOS and now have 15/5 service and new wiring for my internet feed. The call quality has gotten crystal clear and stable - a notch BETTER than I had on my landline.
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair and accurate post, phaelon56.

It is their standing offer to get a local area code for all customers. If it's not available for choosing directly from the portal, they just ask you to submit a trouble ticket requesting your specific area code. So far, they've been accommodating everyone.

Their service keeps improving, albeit gradually.
phaelon56
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updates:

So far still good. Had a few more minor issues but the Nettalk support people continue to be incredibly responsive and proactive.

1) Had my first lengthy call - about 25 minutes duration - and had intermittent choppiness and latency issue beginning 5 minutes in and recurring every 3 to 4 minutes. They say it's not a known issue and I believe them. It is not the "garbling" symptom that was widely reported in the past and now appears to be resolved.

Only after I ran a VoIP performance test and thought back on the call did I realize that I *might* have been streaming an HD movie through my Roku player when that call was in progress. If that proves to be the case then I have a plausible root cause (also an easy fix - I live alone and can just stop the movie and restart when the call is over). Will run another test while the Roku is streaming to confirm.

For you technical guys - here are the results of the test I ran when main PC was turned on but no apps or other network activity except TK6000 were in play:

Jitter: 0.8ms
Packet loss:0.0%
MOS score: 4.0
Download speed: 4.56 Mbps
Upload speed:2.43 Mbps
Quality of Service: 95%

My FIOS speed tests thus far have gone as high as 9 Mbps download and 4.89 Mbps uploads but HD video streaming through Netflix and Roku can suck up as much as 5 Mbps if the bandwidth is available. I'm also guessing that the video streaming might be using some sort of QoS and could be hogging that bandwidth from my poor little TK6000. All speculation - only further testing can confirm.

2) My parents could not reach me when dialing a local call from their home to mine - in the same area code. Checked with Nettalk and it turns out that my area code is quite large and some 7 digit dialing calls are actually "local long distance" - including those to the first 315 area code number that i was allocated. My parents have no long distance service and for this reason the calls would not go through. Nettalk Customer Support promptly got me a new number in same area code but with a different and truly local exchange - that issue is now fully resolved.

Here's the thing.... Manni from Nettalk proactively called my home phone and left a message on the answering machine to verify what he was doing and then called me on my cell phone when he could not reach me at home. These guys are extremely proactive and seem determined to get users running smoothly, happy and ready to give good word of mouth for the product.

Based on my experiences thus far I will be one of those who give it a hearty recommendation. As I mentioned in my first post - it has its minor idiosyncrasies but for those of us who can work with that it appears to be an excellent solution for low cost phone service.

I will do some more tests and make note of my experiences over the next several weeks before updating here.
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More interesting info. Thanks for the post.

Yes, I agree your choppy problem is likely related to heavy downloading. However, my TK quality doesn't seem to suffer from similar activities, and I'm only on a 7m/768k connection.

Hopefully, it was just an anomaly.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phaelon56 wrote:
Updates:

So far still good. Had a few more minor issues but the Nettalk support people continue to be incredibly responsive and proactive.

1) Had my first lengthy call - about 25 minutes duration - and had intermittent choppiness and latency issue beginning 5 minutes in and recurring every 3 to 4 minutes. They say it's not a known issue and I believe them. It is not the "garbling" symptom that was widely reported in the past and now appears to be resolved.

Only after I ran a VoIP performance test and thought back on the call did I realize that I *might* have been streaming an HD movie through my Roku player when that call was in progress. If that proves to be the case then I have a plausible root cause (also an easy fix - I live alone and can just stop the movie and restart when the call is over). Will run another test while the Roku is streaming to confirm.

For you technical guys - here are the results of the test I ran when main PC was turned on but no apps or other network activity except TK6000 were in play:

Jitter: 0.8ms
Packet loss:0.0%
Download speed: 4.56 Mbps
Upload speed:2.43 Mbps
Quality of Service: 95%

My FIOS speed tests thus far have gone as high as 9 Mbps download and 4.89 Mbps uploads but HD video streaming through Netflix and Roku can suck up as much as 5 Mbps if the bandwidth is available. I'm also guessing that the video streaming might be using some sort of QoS and could be hogging that bandwidth from my poor little TK6000. All speculation - only further testing can confirm.

2) My parents could not reach me when dialing a local call from their home to mine - in the same area code. Checked with Nettalk and it turns out that my area code is quite large and some 7 digit dialing calls are actually "local long distance" - including those to the first 315 area code number that i was allocated. My parents have no long distance service and for this reason the calls would not go through. Nettalk Customer Support promptly got me a new number in same area code but with a different and truly local exchange - that issue is now fully resolved.

Here's the thing.... Manni from Nettalk proactively called my home phone and left a message on the answering machine to verify what he was doing and then called me on my cell phone when he could not reach me at home. These guys are extremely proactive and seem determined to get users running smoothly, happy and ready to give good word of mouth for the product.

Based on my experiences thus far I will be one of those who give it a hearty recommendation. As I mentioned in my first post - it has its minor idiosyncrasies but for those of us who can work with that it appears to be an excellent solution for low cost phone service.

I will do some more tests and make note of my experiences over the next several weeks before updating here.

What flavor rouiter do you have?? Might it support QOS or , at the very least, bandwidth allocation per IP or Mac addy?

Your test results are indeed enviable, even for a FIOS circuit
conniemadagain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phaelon56 wrote:

- thus far have not been able to successfully use it for calls where an automated system asks me to "Press 1" etc.

Guess it is tailored ONLY for Spanish speaking people ...

cuz as we ALL know press one for ENGLISH ...
phaelon56
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran another VoIP quality test tonight with Roku streaming HD content and then immediately ran another one with Roku turned off.

The first one I ran with Roku on had MOS of 3.9, 0.0% packet loss and only 75% call quality but I inadvertently closed that screen before I could record all the results.

Can one of you point me to some sort of number I can call that has a very long recorded message so I can run an extended test for the choppiness and latency? I have access to an aggregating style network tap (am in the business) and may run Wireshark packet sniffer to grab a capture in real time if I can replicate the choppiness again.

Netttalk mentioned Wireshark as a last resort for troubleshooting should the problem resurface but I'm more or less in the packet capture and decode business anyway (although my decode reading skills are very rudimentary). I'll be curious to see what they can glean from the trace file if the problem is still there when I capture but I need an extended voice call to do it.

Here's what I got when I ran and recorded the two tests.

By the way - the FIOS router is an Actiontec MI424-WR Rev E

With Roku streaming HD content from Netflix servers

Jitter: 0.4 ms
Packet loss: 0.0%
Download speed: 3.9 Mbps
Upload speed: 2.33 Mbps
Quality of Service: 89%

With Roku turned off

Jitter: 0.4 ms
Packet loss: 0.0%
Download speed: 4.55 Mbps
Upload speed: 2.33 Mbps
Quality of Service: 94%
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1-800-GET-COKE

Then 1

Then 1

Then 5

She'll ramble the official rules to Coke Rewards Points for over a half hour!

Only works during their normal business hours of 9:00am to 7:00pm EST.
phaelon56
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point I'll bow out of the thread and return only if anomalies worth discussing appear in the future. I can call 800 #'s etc. or any other system that requires me to "push 1" etc. and all works as it should. My calls to landlines are rock solid start to finish and the calls I make to cell phones are as good or sometimes better than when I call them from my own cell phone.

In a 20 minute call to my buddy on his 3G iPhone I had zero artifacts and he had just a short blip of echo midway through the call - but it's the kind of echo he's heard many time before on cell to cell calls (as have I and I sometimes get it on my cell phone for a moment when i call a land line).

The one significant thing about the TK6000 that needs to be stressed is not about the technology itself - which IMO is very good - it's the customer service attitude of Nettalk. They have been easy to reach by phone and have been incredibly responsive to all issues of concern. Their support ticketing system is easy to use, is monitored frequently and was very helpful in getting my minor issues straightened out. I work in a technology area where customer service is the factor that defines good companies from mediocre ones. I can easily recognize a company where such an attitude is part of the culture - these guys embody it and deserve praise for going the extra mile.

Consider me to be one very happy Nettalk customer.
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phaelon56 wrote:

The one significant thing about the TK6000 that needs to be stressed is not about the technology itself - which IMO is very good - it's the customer service attitude of Nettalk. They have been easy to reach by phone and have been incredibly responsive to all issues of concern. Their support ticketing system is easy to use, is monitored frequently and was very helpful in getting my minor issues straightened out. I work in a technology area where customer service is the factor that defines good companies from mediocre ones. I can easily recognize a company where such an attitude is part of the culture - these guys embody it and deserve praise for going the extra mile.

Ditto here on the kudos to Nettalk support!!!
Light years ahead of MJ robo-chat.

Ask me about rebates on your NetTalk TK6000 purchase.
BCJ2
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask me about rebates on your NetTalk TK6000 purchase.[/quote]

What kind of rebate I just got my TK600 yesterday Smile
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BCJ2 wrote:
Ask me about rebates on your NetTalk TK6000 purchase.

What kind of rebate I just got my TK600 yesterday Smile[/quote]
Sorry, too late. Only available prior to purchase, AFAIK
MJ7
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="crackerjack"][quote="BCJ2"]Ask me about rebates on your NetTalk TK6000 purchase.[/quote]

What kind of rebate I just got my TK600 yesterday Smile[/quote]
Sorry, too late. Only available prior to purchase, AFAIK[/quote]

I have yet to purchase one. Can you please provide info on the rebate?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Alternatives to magicJack All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: