Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
To keep MJ or send it back?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaliforniaPlaya
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:58 am    Post subject: To keep MJ or send it back?

I've only had MJ for a couple of weeks, but I think I've seen and heard what I need to. Now I'm debating whether to keep it or not. From the beginning, its worked ok, not great, not bad, but ok. Works better than I expected, but not as good as I'd like for a landline replacement. But I'm also thinking how much do I expect for $20 a year?
I'd like an eventual replacement for my landline as I really don't use it much anymore. I use it so little, it probably costs me $3 per call with Comcast's Digital Voice. At the same time, I don't want to completely give up some type of wired home phone. Besides, I've had that number for many years and I don't want to give that up. I would like to eventually port that number to whatever service I decide to go with. But with that in mind, I don't know that I would trust porting that number to a company like this as I really don't know how stable they are or how long they will be in business - I'm hoping for a long time, but I'm being realistic. I do realize that I can 'park' that number somewhere like a prepaid cell, but, then that adds something else I don't need in another cell and of course an additional cost. I also don't need the additional number that MJ currently provides.

Reasons for keeping it:
(1)Works decently for me on both Mac and Windows OS on both a Mac Mini and MacBook
(2)Cheap - would allow me to save some $$$ each month
(3)A decent solution to use at home besides cell for the few times I use a phone at home
(4)Able to use my current phones - except my rotary dial phone

Reasons to send it back:
(1)I don't want 'stuff' sitting around nor do I want to pay money for things that I don't use. I'm not completely sure this is going to work for me.
(2)Call quality isn't as good as true landline - but neither is most other VOIP services from what I've seen, including CDV which I currently have.
(3)Inability to currently port number to MJ, although I see that is supposed to be coming in the future.
(4)This is probably the biggest one for me - not sure I would trust MJ with porting my number to them as I don't want to lose it and I'm not convinced that they're in business for the long haul.

So thats where I'm at. I see reasons for doing both. I'd like to get it to work for what I want but don't know thats going to happen. If it doesn't, its only $40 and still something to play around with, if it does, great. What to do?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: